ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Good night... sleep tide ;)
© Unkown Author but with thanks to Irina!

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Charlie news from Gasland Return to archive Page: 1 2
28th May 2004 06:53 AM
Monkey Woman Richard B from Keno's GasX3 message board posted a tantalizing bit of news about Charlie today. Read it at:

http://www.keno.org/gasland/get.asp?M=110840&P=0&T=110840

If true, it means that the overdubbing and rerecording for the new album is in progress, on a low key basis... and that they want to use unreleased material from B2B, as reported previously.

Let's keep our fingers crossed!
28th May 2004 07:02 AM
LadyJane Very good info, MW!!

It'll happen,,,,I have utmost faith!!!

LJ.
28th May 2004 07:33 AM
Steel Wheels Has the well run dry? Finishing off old songs? What?

I want them to write new songs! Jesus Christ, if I wanted outtakes from 15 years ago I would have told them that's what I wanted.

I'm very happy to hear that there's 17 songs, I'm very happy to hear they are doing this album, but I'm concerned about the lack of MickandKeef writing.
28th May 2004 07:47 AM
UGot2Rollme You'd think/hope/pray that if this was to be (probably) their final album, that they'd put more energy into it...
It doesn't sound like Mick and Keith collaborate at all, anymore... Charlie will always be solid, but....
28th May 2004 08:00 AM
Monkey Woman This is only a speculation, but maybe Charlie just wants to do his bit before the Glimmer Twins bring their drama to the studio!

Or, more simply, the songs are nearly finished anyway and they just have a little overdubbing to do.

We'll just have to sit and "wait so patiently"...
28th May 2004 08:13 AM
nankerphelge I dunno -- I find it troubling.

This is supposed to be a band -- a group of people that play together as a unit. Sounds more like a paint-by-numbers according to this.

Hope I'm dead wrong.
28th May 2004 08:27 AM
Gazza sounds more like pre-production work to me. I'm sure there's NEW material which they'll record as a band
28th May 2004 02:06 PM
Monkey Woman Let's hope so!
28th May 2004 02:08 PM
Joey
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:
I dunno -- I find it troubling.

This is supposed to be a band -- a group of people that play together as a unit. Sounds more like a paint-by-numbers according to this.

Hope I'm dead wrong.

Sounds more like a " Who - By - Numbers " ................and that ain't such a bad thing .
28th May 2004 02:19 PM
The_Worst
quote:
Joey wrote:

Sounds more like a " Who - By - Numbers " ................and that ain't such a bad thing .

Joey, I thought the same thing too!!!

P.S. I know you are a big Who fan....Saw them at MSG last weekend...Great show!! Pete was on fire!!!
28th May 2004 02:21 PM
voodoopug We are recording a studio demo of stones songs and after the initial scratch tracks are laid down, we have been going to the studio one at a time to do our overdubs.

This seems common to me!

I will be ready to applaud a new album from the boys!
28th May 2004 02:26 PM
Bloozehound Didn't they record some 20? - 30? -40? NEW songs before the Licks tour ?!? I tend to overlook this fact.

Whenever I hear this "they're diggin through the archives" concerning the new album I get that kneejerk worried reaction too, but it would seem this new album has been a work in progress for sometime now, and NEW songs have been written and recorded (to some extent).

I would guess it's to early to judge, despite what the "engineer" says, he's probably an Exile purist anyhows.
28th May 2004 02:37 PM
Monkey Woman
quote:
voodoopug wrote:
We are recording a studio demo of stones songs and after the initial scratch tracks are laid down, we have been going to the studio one at a time to do our overdubs.

This seems common to me!

I will be ready to applaud a new album from the boys!

That's interesting, Voodoopug. After all, if they use a) unreleased tracks from the vaults, and b) unfinished tracks from the Paris 2002 sessions, they don't need to do it from scratch. It could be just overdubbing and mixing. But for that final and important part, aren't Mick and Keith usually together in the studio (with their producer when they have one, of course)? That could come a little later, and not necessarily at the same studio Charlie did his stuff.

BTW, I second totally your last point!
28th May 2004 02:41 PM
jb Thanks MonkeyWoman...vive la france!!!! Was marc Chargal Jewish?
28th May 2004 02:42 PM
Monkey Woman Yes he was, originally from Russia, I think.
28th May 2004 02:46 PM
jb
quote:
Monkey Woman wrote:
Yes he was, originally from Russia, I think.

He was Bill Wymans neighbor until he died.
28th May 2004 02:50 PM
Monkey Woman And Bill's friend at the end of his life. Bill did a book about Chagall, with photos he took himself.

"Wyman Shoots Chagall, (1998). This charming limited edition book presented a selection of informal photographs taken by Bill of the late artist Marc Chagall. Each book came with a CD of classical music entitled, The Chagall Suite - written and arranged by Bill Wyman and Mike Batt."
28th May 2004 02:52 PM
Joey " P.S. I know you are a big Who fan....Saw them at MSG last weekend...Great show!! Pete was on fire!!! "

You make Joey all excited !!!!!!

How great was it ?!?!?! Best WHO yet ?!?!?! How were the two new songs " OLD RED WINE " " GOOD LOOKING BOY " ?!?!?!

How's Roger's voice ? Zak ?!?!

These are the Questions !............ Need Answers ! ...........Now ! Please !!!!..........I 'm Begging ( Buggin ' ?!?! )

Jacky T.
28th May 2004 02:58 PM
Gazza Joey

Have you seen the Who live clips thats on their official website? They have about 6-7 minutes of each show on the tour available so far, including MSG from last weekend

I came over all moist with anticipation just watching them!
28th May 2004 03:05 PM
Joey
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Joey

Have you seen the Who live clips thats on their official website? They have about 6-7 minutes of each show on the tour available so far, including MSG from last weekend

I came over all moist with anticipation just watching them!

Gazza .......................................

You Lucky Man .................You get to see the Oooooooooooo in ten days whilst I sit here in the states missing out once again .....................I hope you will write a review of the gig -- Nellcote saw them in Boston and only wrote a brief snippet here at " Rocks Off " . Why only four U.S. Dates ?!?!?! Why ?!?! WHY ?!?!?!

WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?!

JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJERKY BOY !
28th May 2004 03:14 PM
Joey " Have you seen the Who live clips thats on their official website? They have about 6-7 minutes of each show on the tour available so far, including MSG from last weekend "

Viewing now .......................................

28th May 2004 04:16 PM
IanBillen
quote:
Gazza wrote:
sounds more like pre-production work to me. I'm sure there's NEW material which they'll record as a band

-Yes. There are 17 songs but how many will make it to the album? This may be just gathering songs together before hand and then they will hit the studio to make some more and choose from all of them. They know what their doing. They aren't going to release anything sub-par at this point and time in their career. Also they want to present this album
very well since there is so much anticipation because the last album was 7 long years ago.
Ian
28th May 2004 04:22 PM
Gazza Yes..and more to the point it will also probably be their LAST studio album.

These people arent idiots with no self respect or insight into their art. No way will they just throw together a few substandard cast offs as a contractual obligation. They havea reputation to uphold
28th May 2004 04:27 PM
Joey

BEST STONES YET ........................

BEST MACCA YET .........................

BEST WHO YET ............................

It just keeps getting better ..............and better .....................and better !

Burcee Jurcee Joe Dog !
28th May 2004 05:07 PM
LadyJane
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Yes..and more to the point it will also probably be their LAST studio album.

These people arent idiots with no self respect or insight into their art. No way will they just throw together a few substandard cast offs as a contractual obligation. They havea reputation to uphold

I agree completely!!

LJ.
28th May 2004 05:08 PM
The_Worst
quote:
Joey wrote:
" P.S. I know you are a big Who fan....Saw them at MSG last weekend...Great show!! Pete was on fire!!! "

You make Joey all excited !!!!!!

How great was it ?!?!?! Best WHO yet ?!?!?! How were the two new songs " OLD RED WINE " " GOOD LOOKING BOY " ?!?!?!

How's Roger's voice ? Zak ?!?!

These are the Questions !............ Need Answers ! ...........Now ! Please !!!!..........I 'm Begging ( Buggin ' ?!?! )

Jacky T.

Joey, I was seriously impressed. I have seen them several times before with the Ox and I was prepared for a bit of a let down but it was the opposite. It seemed like Pete and Rog stepped up....I was VERY IMPRESSED!! Roger's voice sounded particularly strong (I think because they are only doing a few shows here and there). My favorite part was the accoustic version of "Naked Eye", and "The Punk & The Godfather".

The absolute highlight for me though was "Amaazing Journey/Sparks" I never thought Pete would be able to get his amp screeching the way it used too but it sounded very much like the early '70's. I was very pleasantly surprised!!!

"Real Good Looking Boy" was great. They only did one verse of "Old Red Wine" and the fast end part of the song which was great!

All in all I was very very impressed!!!

I already bought the cd's off The Who site and should get them in the mail in a few weeks. In addition, I found a copy of the show on DVD already and I should receive that in a few days too!!!!

P.S. - To quote Pete during the show: "No one could replace Keith Moon but Zak's been with us for so long himself the seat is now his" Trust me, that is a good thing!!!
28th May 2004 05:15 PM
Joey " I already bought the cd's off The Who site and should get them in the mail in a few weeks. In addition, I found a copy of the show on DVD already and I should receive that in a few days too!!!! "

You have a PM !
28th May 2004 05:33 PM
Steel Wheels The Stones don't have a contract to uphold - it's been that way since VL I think.

28th May 2004 05:41 PM
Joey " In addition, I found a copy of the show on DVD already and I should receive that in a few days too!!!! "

Pro Shot ?!?!?!

You have " peaked " my interest ................

Jacky !

29th May 2004 12:40 AM
IanBillen
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Yes..and more to the point it will also probably be their LAST studio album.

-Yes. I mean don't people understand who we are talking about here. These guys know exactly what their reputation is and have only people the highest financial and logistic advisors for when they need advice or a second opinion. Not to mention I am sure Virgin Records has a hand in weather they could release an outake album as their first album in the longest stretch in their entire career and would definately see that as unfit. The Stones are not newbeys and nobody knows the game or industry better than they do. And they have very smart folks working with them on things. Do you really think they are that shallow??? It will be a quality work I am sure....no matter how, when, or where these songs came from and I am sure they are not going to rush it just to get it out. Also I am pretty sure the songs we get are not going to be heard of before. They have much more up their sleeve than we know.....always do don't they!
Ian
Page: 1 2