ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Good night... sleep tide ;)
© Unkown Author but with thanks to Irina!

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: McCartney Opening Show Setlist Return to archive
26th May 2004 08:41 PM
MRD8 Here's the setlist for the opening show on Macca's 2004 European tour...he played 33 songs in 2 and a half hours...his setlist is a LOT different than it was on his last tour! He's at Rock In Rio IV on Friday night so we'll get a proshot video of the show at some point.

Jet
Got To Get You Into My Life
Flaming Pie
All My Loving
Let Me Roll It
You Won't See Me (Paul said this song was never performed before)
Paul practiced his Spanish saying: "Hola Asturias, muchas gracias...!")
She's A Woman

Maybe I'm Amazed
The Long and Winding Road
In Spite of All Danger (long version - Paul said that he and George wrote this song together)

Blackbird
We Can Work It Out (fake-out)
We Can Work It Out
Here Today (solo)
All Things Must Pass (with band)
I'll Follow the Sun (with reprise - Paul said the song was too short so he did the reprise)
For No One
I'll Follow the Sun (repeated song with reprise)
Calico Skies
I've Just Seen a Face

Eleanor Rigby
Drive My Car
Penny Lane
Get Back
Band On the Run
Back in the USSR

Live and Let Die (More powerful pyrotechnics and fireworks that could be seen outside of the stadium. At the end of the song 13 fireworks with explosions were launched)
I've Got a Feeling
Gimme That Thing (improvised song on piano)
Lady Madonna
Hey Jude

(encore)
Yesterday
Let It Be
I Saw Her Standing There

(encore)
Helter Skelter
Sgt. Pepper's/The End

26th May 2004 09:03 PM
cwatts0462 not bad for the old bird
26th May 2004 09:37 PM
Soldatti Oh my God!
33 songs setlist!
The Stones played 18 songs on some gigs from last tour and mostly 19 songs-list...
26th May 2004 10:10 PM
Paulcarr87 You can't compare number of songs Paul vs Stones because Stones songs are on average much longer. Length of show maybe a little longer for Paul, but lets not give the guy too much credit: He's sitting down for many songs and then theres the acoustic set where he's just standing there, taking it real easy.

Paul

26th May 2004 10:14 PM
MRD8 You make some good points, why don't the Stones play an accoustic set or pace their shows a little better? They could shorten a lot of their warhorses closer to the length they are on the albums and play more songs that way... And its WAY past time for Mick to quit dancing and moving all the time, it takes away from the end of the shows when he is out of gas!
27th May 2004 12:12 AM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy
quote:
Paulcarr87 wrote:
You can't compare number of songs Paul vs Stones because Stones songs are on average much longer. Length of show maybe a little longer for Paul, but lets not give the guy too much credit: He's sitting down for many songs and then theres the acoustic set where he's just standing there, taking it real easy.

Paul

You could turn it around, there, though - no band to back him up. It's him and him alone and if you thinking singing while accompanying yourself on guitar/piano is taking it easy Mr. Dylan would have words with you.

You know, much as I dislike the overly theatrical nature of McCartney's shows, I've gotta hand it to the guy. Anyone who says "He's only in it for the money" or "He doesn't care" really should look at the setlist. You don't get out there for two-and-a-half hours and play some really gruelling numbers if you don't really want to give the audience a good time. I know there'd be no way in hell I'd play "Helter Skelter" if I was in there for the money - I'd play every #1 Beatles tune from '64-'66, close with "Let It Be" and encore with "Hey Jude" if I wasn't tired, and run off with my eighty bajillion dollars. He tries to give people a good time. Good for him.

That being said, the fact that the Stones try to stay relevant is a much greater testament... but now that Dylan's proved that being old is no excuse for not putting out quality music, they've got a much heavier burden to carry.

I still think I enjoyed the Stones for really trying to connect on merit rather than nostalgia more than I enjoyed the really great but ultimately nostalgic McCartney.

Now, if he'd do a theatre tour with theatre songs, the Stones'd be in real trouble.

And he's doing "In Spite Of All The Danger"! Hooooo boy!

-tSYX --- All things must pass...
27th May 2004 05:09 AM
Moonisup
quote:
TheSavageYoungXyzzy wrote:

That being said, the fact that the Stones try to stay relevant is a much greater testament... but now that Dylan's proved that being old is no excuse for not putting out quality music, they've got a much heavier burden to carry.

-tSYX --- All things must pass...

I don't see the stones coming with an exellent album, like Dylan that, it ain't in there anymore!
and about that burden, you are absolutely right
27th May 2004 05:12 AM
scratched
quote:
Paulcarr87 wrote:
You can't compare number of songs Paul vs Stones because Stones songs are on average much longer. Length of show maybe a little longer for Paul, but lets not give the guy too much credit: He's sitting down for many songs and then theres the acoustic set where he's just standing there, taking it real easy.

Paul

Bullshit.

quote:
TheSavageYoungXyzzy wrote:

You could turn it around, there, though - no band to back him up. It's him and him alone and if you thinking singing while accompanying yourself on guitar/piano is taking it easy Mr. Dylan would have words with you.

You know, much as I dislike the overly theatrical nature of McCartney's shows, I've gotta hand it to the guy. Anyone who says "He's only in it for the money" or "He doesn't care" really should look at the setlist. You don't get out there for two-and-a-half hours and play some really gruelling numbers if you don't really want to give the audience a good time. I know there'd be no way in hell I'd play "Helter Skelter" if I was in there for the money - I'd play every #1 Beatles tune from '64-'66, close with "Let It Be" and encore with "Hey Jude" if I wasn't tired, and run off with my eighty bajillion dollars. He tries to give people a good time. Good for him.

Well said.
27th May 2004 05:35 AM
Zack What an amazing catalog McCartney has. A band could build a career around any one of a dozen, maybe two dozen, of his songs. A great regret I have is never having seen a Macca show, and now considering where I live I may never.
27th May 2004 09:34 AM
Gimme Shelter Thats cool as hell, he played Helter Skelter!!!
27th May 2004 04:35 PM
Saint Sway I like the Beatles and all but...

McCARTNEY IS LAME

as lame as they come

even lamer than Elton John

Macca's shows are gay and really really boring and he actually waves to the audience more than Ron Wood does

I'd rather go to Strawberry Fields in Central Park and listen to some homeless hippy strum "All You Need Is Love" on an out of tune guitar

hell, I'd rather see Yoko in concert
27th May 2004 04:46 PM
Joey Helter Skelter ?!?!

HELTER SKELTER ?!?!

Holy SH## !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

" Was Roman Polanski in the Audience Ronnie ?!?!?! "

Joey Tate !
27th May 2004 06:09 PM
steel driving hammer Yawn.

Former question on Jepordy -

A Dog With Wings...

Who Is Linda McCartney

27th May 2004 08:54 PM
glencar For shame, Tony. The woman's dead. Pick on the legless #2 instead.
28th May 2004 09:51 AM
Joey
quote:
glencar wrote:
For shame, Tony. The woman's dead. Pick on the legless #2 instead.

28th May 2004 03:56 PM
FPM C10
quote:
Moonisup wrote:

I don't see the stones coming with an exellent album, like Dylan that, it ain't in there anymore!
and about that burden, you are absolutely right

Hey, before he released Time Out of Mind, everyone was sure Dylan was done too. Prior to that he had released two albums of obscure covers, which WERE very good but were sure signs of a well gone dry, and a DOG of an original album, Under The Red Sky. It had been over a decade since his last decent release (Oh Mercy). So Dylan DOES give Stones fans reason to hope for a miracle.
28th May 2004 03:58 PM
FPM C10 For me, the biggie on the setlist is "All Things Must Pass". That made me cry when he did it at the Concert For George.
28th May 2004 04:05 PM
Joey
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:
For me, the biggie on the setlist is "All Things Must Pass". That made me cry when he did it at the Concert For George.

I would like to clutch you to my bosom and tickle you with my erect nipples