ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Good night... sleep tide ;)
© Unkown Author but with thanks to Irina!

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Show Us Yer Faces Redux Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
21st May 2004 08:02 PM
throbby sirmoonie wrote:

Do you really do that, Throbby?

No. Just trying to make a point.

? thinks that certain ladies of RO are ridiculous for contributing to the Super Blow thread, enjoying pictures of the Stones, and dare I say finding pleasure in the Stones themselves. She of course is above such "teenage nonsense".

Her need to "beat the drum" concerning her intelligence has me thinking she is very much afraid of life passing her by, which it most likely will if she continues as is. With all her talents she should feel no need to lower herself by posting on a Stones message board, surely the world awaits.

In reading her posts much intelligence is shown, as is a sore lack of wisdom.

I see no need to attack others for the things they enjoy.

And yes ?, that was me indeed!

21st May 2004 10:43 PM
stonedinaustralia Hi all, here's one you should all know and love

Marvin, he was this friend of mine
And he could sing a song, his heart in every line
Marvin sang of the joy and pain
He opened up our minds, and I still can hear him say
Talk to me so you can see what's going on
Say you will sing your songs forever more

Gonna be some sweet sounds coming down on the nightshift
I bet you're singing proud, I bet you'll pull a crowd

Gonna be a long night, it's gonna be alright on the nightshift
You found another home, I know you're not alone on the nightshift

Jackie, hey whatcha doin' now?
It seems like yesterday when we were working out
Jackie, you set the world on fire
You came and gifted us, your love, it lifted us higher and higher
Keep it up, and we'll be there at your side
Say you will sing your songs forever more

Gonna miss your sweet voice, that soulful noise on the nightshift
We all remember you, your songs are coming through

Like the end of a long day it's gonna be okay on the nightshift

Thank You and Goodnight
22nd May 2004 11:12 AM
Sir Stonesalot >What is happening here?
Something is going on
That's not quite clear
Somebody turn on the light
We're gonna have a party
It's starting tonight<

I think Stephen Stills should sue the fuck outta Lionel Ritchie.

Are the above posted lyrics not extremely similar to those of The Buffalo Springfield's "For What It's Worth"?

Someone PM me with instructions on how to post a picture. I got some "pop images" to share.

Oh, and Throbby...I gotta admit, you look way better in your Keith For Prez Tshirt than I do.

Keith For President campaign slogan:

Less death, More guitars and dope.
[Edited by Sir Stonesalot]
22nd May 2004 11:41 AM
didst thou seem
Throbby is throbbing mad it seems! Look out - or he'll bust a button!

"Her need to "beat the drum" concerning her intelligence"

Huh? I never said I was smart. But I hear Monkey Woman is, and quite witty too.

"has me thinking she is very much afraid of life passing her by"

It passes us all by, no matter how fully we live it. Part of this place and the people who seem to be attempting to remain frozen in adolecence and want their heroes to be as well, is quite interesting to me. I wanted to bring that thought around past the obvious psychological issues it implies and more into a discussion of aesthetics. To no avail. Just got a harpy fight.

," which it most likely will if she continues as is. "

You don't know me. Lets keep it that way. I like people with a sense of humor.

"With all her talents she should feel no need to lower herself by posting on a Stones message board, surely the world awaits."

I forgot my password to The Days of Our Lives board. Plus - I'm anxiously awaiting Josh and Joey reaching 10,000 posts.

"In reading her posts much intelligence is shown, as is a sore lack of wisdom."

What is wisdom?

"I see no need to attack others for the things they enjoy."

Enjoy? Or enmesh?

"And yes ?, that was me indeed!"

As was mine me. The Tom Jones lookalike biz is not what it used to be. The Neil Diamonds are getting all my gigs.

22nd May 2004 02:44 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
didst thou seem wrote:

Okay here's a couple - thirst is desire?

That's certainly what the Sprite people want us to believe. It's certainly been a useful metaphor for same for poets, religious chronicleers and vampire novelists and filmmakers for as long as "art" useta "live". Echoes carry on to this very day!

What that has to do with, say, pop images and this message board:

"Well a person can work up a mean mean thirst after a hard day of nothing much at all." (Paul Westerberg)

quote:
dandelion* wrote

What exactly do people want out of said object of this particular board?

What does one expect out of them - and why? What's with the needs seen expressed here - for instance - wanting them to once again make the music they have already made , being the performers they already were, etc...

Hmm -- I don't think that people want them to make music they already have made. I think they (and I speak mainly from my own perspective of a fan here and am not pretending to speak for everyone) only want the Stones to exhibit a similar level of involvement and commitment and interest in their current collaborations that they have shown in the past.

As far as being the performers they were -- the aesthetic experience of listening to a performance like, say, Fort Worth '78, or New York '69 or Australia '73 is so completely overwhelming, even without visuals, that the desire to experience something like that directly is natural and acute. When current performances fall well short of that goal, it is inevitable that some seekers are going to be disappointed and express it.

The need, as always, is to get our rocks off. The fact is, that usually only happens when you're dreaming.

Dream on until your dreams come true!

Everbody's heard about the bird, but who's really seen where it flew? And did you know that sometimes it flies up your nose?

22nd May 2004 06:16 PM
not bound to please Nasty,

I think you'll enjoy this:

http://www.villagevoice.com/issues/0420/saltz.php

22nd May 2004 06:23 PM
not bound to please
"Hmm -- I don't think that people want them to make music they already have made."

Really? I hardly ever read on topic threads - but that seems to be all I read anyway.

"I think they (and I speak mainly from my own perspective of a fan here and am not pretending to speak for everyone) only want the Stones to exhibit a similar level of involvement and commitment and interest in their current collaborations that they have shown in the past."

But why?

"As far as being the performers they were -- the aesthetic experience of listening to a performance like, say, Fort Worth '78, or New York '69 or Australia '73 is so completely overwhelming, even without visuals, that the desire to experience something like that directly is natural and acute. When current performances fall well short of that goal, it is inevitable that some seekers are going to be disappointed and express it."

Right - then they should move on. I would think. I mean - listen to the old stuff. Or other stuff. I think we could go onto my point to Mr. Throbby in a previous post in regard to this.

"The need, as always, is to get our rocks off. The fact is, that usually only happens when you're dreaming."

lucid?

22nd May 2004 06:24 PM
glencar You fucking rock, baby!
22nd May 2004 06:29 PM
not bound to please Hey - are you going to be around when Josh and Joey reach 10,000 together?

22nd May 2004 06:40 PM
glencar I wouldn't miss it for the world. I just hope a big fight doesn't start up over pitching/catching.
22nd May 2004 06:40 PM
Ten Thousand Motels "Not bound to please"?????
I don't know if I like that handle or not. I like girls who LIKE to be tied up.
22nd May 2004 06:51 PM
not bound to please
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
"Not bound to please"?????
I don't know if I like that handle or not. I like girls who LIKE to be tied up.

Oh - I do, yet sometimes it's better the other way/s.

glencar - I'm guessing Steelie's going to try to slip in from behind...

22nd May 2004 06:59 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
not bound to please wrote:
Oh - I do, yet sometimes it's better the other way/s.

Not me. I'm claustrophobic. Very much so. It's not a question of control or trust. Confinement just ain't my thing.
22nd May 2004 07:15 PM
glencar Where is Steelie these days?
22nd May 2004 11:52 PM
Snappy McJack Pullin' a Joey:

We Built This City Lyrics
Artist(Band):Jefferson Starship

Chorus:
We built this city, we built this city on rock an' roll
Built this city, we built this city on rock an' roll

Say you don't know me, or recognize my face
Say you don't care who goes to that kind of place
Knee deep in the hoopla, sinking in your fight
Too many runaways eating up the night

Marconi plays the mamba, listen to the radio, don't you remember

chorus

Someone's always playing corporation games
Who cares they're always changing corporation names
We just want to dance here, someone stole the stage
They call us irresponsible, write us off the page

chorus

It's just another Sunday, in a tired old street
Police have got the choke hold, oh, [but] we just lost the beat

Who counts the money underneath the bar
Who rides the wrecking ball into our guitars
Don't tell us you need us, 'cos we're [the ship of] fools
Looking for America, crawling through your schools

(I'm looking out over that Golden Gate bridge
Out on another gorgeous sunny Saturday, I've seen that [bumer-to-bumper]traffic)

Don't you remember (remember)

(Here's your favorite radio station, in your favorite radio city
The city by the bay, the city that rocks, the city that never sleeps)

chorus repeats 2x

(We built, we built this city) built this city (we built, we built this city)
(repeats out)

23rd May 2004 03:33 PM
Nasty Habits

quote:
didst thou seem to be whats thou wasn'tst wrote:

but why?

They still exist, right? And the void that they leave when they go, as the "greatest whoever in the whichever" is a palpable one. Believe me, I've checked, and there isn't anyone playing music these days that can come close to the Stones past proven ability to call society and humanity down to its basest, most basic, and truest levels whilst rockin' it to the skies in the most natural fallin' off a log kinnofaway. They is are was were etc the center of the rock/roll axis for so long that without them doing their job as well as they
can/could/shall/should/may/might/must/do/does/did/is/am/are/was/were/be/being/been
then rock and roll spins off it center and rolls straight down into the void.

Natch this may not matter a whole lotta nothin', and true the old Stones is the Stones I not only love most but allow myself to recommend (I know I mainly listen to even an album as good as Bridges behind closed doors, mainly, and consider all Stones LPs post Tattoo You something of a guilty pleasure for specialized and specific tastes, and I wonder how many listeners really want the Stones to be what they "were" so they could wholeheartedly stand in pride over "their" band present as well as past" because it's better to serve or extend the legacy rather than to run "Stealing My Heart" all over it.

Whatever, though. I have a party every time I get to see the band play and as long as I am sufficiently (it don't take too much) drunk and/or stoned (marvellous thing about the Stones is that they embody both in their "art") I will dance and have fun and laugh at the crazy shit that goes down onstage and on record. They sound real good on stage sometimes but it's frustrating to get knocked out of the groove because you're wondering "Where's Keith in the mix, why isn't he tearing my head off?" or "Why are those two guitar players bitching at each other when then should be weaving like grandmas in a sewing circle?" Because there is a "right" way and a "wrong" way to play Rolling Stones music as the Stones defined it and when they're doing it wrong it's hard to be 100% right there with them.

Do people invest in companies that used to be solid deliverers out of sentimental reasons? Nah. They invest because they are still delivering dollars to doorsteps every day, or look like they could be a sure thing in the future. Now it's dangerous to get into this metaphor with the Stones because obviously as a company they seem to be blue chip, but fans invest something different in an artist, and while the fan knows about the legacy, what the public sees is the current persona. Believe me, say to the average person that the Stones are your favorite band and you get a look of "huh?" because it's like saying McDonald's is your favorite restaurant or Stephen King is your favorite writer.

But ultimately as long as they continue to exist as the Rolling Stones it would be nice if the parts were somewhat in genuine harmony because without actual chemistry between Glimmer One and Glimmer Two and Trampolini Three and the King of Swing the whole thing is just show and nothing but, and it's the greatest show on earth but it ain't the world's greatest rock and roll band.

Have you seen Four Flicks? The most revealing part of the whole movie (other than Jagger's embarassing warm up scales and Keef's reactions thereto) is when they're recording in France and Keith is warbling "Losing My Touch" and listens to the playback. It, apparently, sounds like shit in the mixing booth (imagine) and he angrily stalks out claiming that what's going on in the recording room is not coming close to being captured on tape. Nuances are flying out the door left and right, he says, and then fucks off, one presumes to go get another drink. Jagger, ever the meow meow, says, triumphantly, "I don't know what his problem is! MINE sound fine!") This for me sums up the schisms and denials of the contemporary Rolling Stones, and if it's preferable for some folks to "wish/dream/hope" that someday it could be something like it looked like it was in "Gimme Shelter" then I don't blame them.

Jesus, I can't even remember if I'm "on topic" any more re: pop fetish images or something.

Are we talking about the animal hoof in the high heel sneaker on the inner sleeve of tattoo you?

You know, I've never found that thing very sexy.

Nu?

23rd May 2004 05:16 PM
throbby SS! You're looking much cooler in your Keith shirt and I'm sure you're having a hell of a lot more fun whilst wearing it!
24th May 2004 11:20 AM
not bound to please Thanks for the response Nasty. I'll reply later today when I have more time.

24th May 2004 11:30 AM
jb Seems like the cutting and pasting of song lyrics is catching on..funny how SS doesn't attack his friends when they do it..just Joey and I...You make me sick!!!
By the way, I though it was Nanker with the KR for Prez shirt?

http://members.tripod.com/~Synergy_2/lyrics/puthand.html
24th May 2004 11:38 AM
gypsy Are you disappointed in their looks, jb?
24th May 2004 12:13 PM
jb
quote:
gypsy wrote:
Are you disappointed in their looks, jb?

Let's just say "Throbby" is the new poster boy for "Rocksoff".
24th May 2004 02:47 PM
Joey
It Really is no big deal , just do a " Google Search " on the lyrics to all of S.S.'s favorite artists :

John Denver
The Cowsills
Firefall
Loggins and Messinia
Nilsson
Starship
Poco
..and his personal favorite : " Muskrat Love " by the Captain and Tennille

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWhat ?!?!?! Oh , sure :

" I saw her sitting in the rain
Raindrops falling on her
She didn't seem to care
She sat there and smiled at me
Then I knew
I knew.. I knew.. I knew.. I knew..
She could make me happy
Happy.. Happy.. She could make me very Happy..
Flowers in her hair ... flowers every where
Every where ...
I love the flower girl
Oh I don't know just why; she simply caught my eye
I love the flower girl
She seemed so sweet and kind; she crept in to my mind
To my mind ... to my mind

I knew I had to say hello
Hello ... hello
She smiled up at me
And she took my hand and we walked through the park alone
And I knew
She had made me happy
Happy.. Happy.. She had made me very Happy..
Every where ...
I love the flower girl
Oh I don't know just why; she simply caught my eye
I love the flower girl
She seemed so sweet and kind; she crept in to my mind
To my mind ... to my mind

Suddenly, the sun broke through
See the sun
I turned around she was gone
Where did she go?
And all I had left was one little flower in my hand
But I knew
She had made me happy
Happy.. Happy.. She had made me very Happy..
Every where ...
I love the flower girl
Was she reality or just a dream to me?
I love the flower girl
Her love showed me the way to find a sunny day
Sunny day ... sunny day ... sunny day
I love the flower girl
Was she reality or just a dream to me? "

24th May 2004 02:51 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Hey Joey. I had to go out on the road visiting clients last week for 3 days. I wore that Kansas City Chiefs hat and they just laughed at me.
24th May 2004 03:02 PM
Joey
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
Hey Joey. I had to go out on the road visiting clients last week for 3 days. I wore that Kansas City Chiefs hat and they just laughed at me.

{{{{ ? }}}}}

They also laugh at John Kerry ....................

What ?!?! Oh , sure :

" Shortly after, Tony meets Johnny Sack beside the East River. Johnny is now the undisputed boss of New York (Little Carmine, finding he has no stomach for bloody conflict, withdrew from competition) and it's already gone to his head. He tells Tony, "This is the last time we'll meet like this. It's undignified." Then, when Tony accedes to Tony B.'s execution but requests, as a friend, to be allowed to handle it himself, Johnny flatly refuses. He similarly rebuffs Tony's request that the death be quick. The reason for his refusal is curt: "I choose not to." Taken aback, Tony steps away for a moment to consider his options. Then he goes to Johnny and looks him square in the eye. "You know what, John?" he says, smiling, "I'll give you undignified. Go fuck yourself. And Phil and whoever. He's my fuckin' cousin." Then he climbs into his Escalade and drives away. "

Smercee Jercee !
24th May 2004 03:48 PM
not bound to please Joey - please rest up. When the 10,000 point between you and Joshy hits - we want you to be in top form!~ so you both can experience it in the best of circumstance...

\

24th May 2004 04:06 PM
not bound to please

Okay Nasty, it IS telling you are the only one to reply to my queries. But it ain't shocking. I've been around these parts long enough to know better...

"They still exist, right? "

Not quite certain. Depends. Sometimes I think they do - sometimes I'm damn sure they don't. I suspect Mick at least was abducted by aliens in 1983.

"And the void that they leave when they go, as the "greatest whoever in the whichever" is a palpable one."

Yes. True. But methinks they've been long long gone. Dancing with worms and maggots, beyond our level of perception.

"Believe me, I've checked, and there isn't anyone playing music these days that can come close to the Stones past proven ability to call society and humanity down to its basest, most basic, and truest levels whilst rockin' it to the skies in the most natural fallin' off a log kinnofaway. "

Right. But the more I read these boards - the more I suspect the following ain't following, if you know what I mean...

"They is are was were etc the center of the rock/roll axis for so long that without them doing their job as well as they
can/could/shall/should/may/might/must/do/does/did/is/am/are/was/were/be/being/been
then rock and roll spins off it center and rolls straight down into the void. ""

I only reconnected with Bridges. It was that last gasp beyond side two of Tattoo You that implied they were still ALIVE.

"Natch this may not matter a whole lotta nothin', and true the old Stones is the Stones I not only love most but allow myself to recommend (I know I mainly listen to even an album as good as Bridges behind closed doors, mainly, and consider all Stones LPs post Tattoo You something of a guilty pleasure for specialized and specific tastes, and I wonder how many listeners really want the Stones to be what they "were" so they could wholeheartedly stand in pride over "their" band present as well as past" because it's better to serve or extend the legacy rather than to run "Stealing My Heart" all over it.

It's fucking embarrassing - if you look at them like your favorite sports group. I prefer to look at them as human beings. Ones with great failings. And chose to ignore the mountains of crap. Or rather - find this part of the narrative quite telling, if less than heroic. Or - perhaps they were abducted by aliens. Now that would explain it!

part 2 later.....

24th May 2004 05:03 PM
not bound to please " Now it's dangerous to get into this metaphor with the Stones because obviously as a company they seem to be blue chip, but fans invest something different in an artist, and while the fan knows about the legacy, what the public sees is the current persona. "

Here is the thing. What is a "fan" and what is the "public"'s perception? I don't know - but when I became a "fan": of the group way back when, at the age of 12, I would have never in a million years imagined this geeky sort of web following. I mean - I hated teen idols, but it seems many fetish=ze them into being that. It's creepy to me. And more than a little disturbing.

" Believe me, say to the average person that the Stones are your favorite band and you get a look of "huh?" because it's like saying McDonald's is your favorite restaurant or Stephen King is your favorite writer. "

Right. They probably deserve it frankly. They are playing to the lowest common denominator, aren't they? Even their most rabid fans are the biggest part of the destruction. We shouldn't take it personally. They aren't the Rolling Stones we once knew, or thought we knew.

part 3 soon...
must go out to dinner...

24th May 2004 05:04 PM
Joey
quote:
not bound to please wrote:
Joey - please rest up. When the 10,000 point between you and Joshy hits - we want you to be in top form!~ so you both can experience it in the best of circumstance...

\

********* BLANK FRIGGIN STARE ****************
25th May 2004 10:21 AM
not bound to please
quote:
Joey wrote:

********* BLANK FRIGGIN STARE ****************

What are you having for lunch today, Joey?

25th May 2004 10:41 AM
not bound to please
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:

Jesus, I can't even remember if I'm "on topic" any more re: pop fetish images or something.

Are we talking about the animal hoof in the high heel sneaker on the inner sleeve of tattoo you?

You know, I've never found that thing very sexy.

Nu?

I find it VERY sexy.

Do you think some fans have made the band members into little dolls? Metaphorically of course. Psychologically as well.

You know - I made a comment last week about finding it interesting that the people posting on soap opera fan messageboards seemed to have a stronger grasp of reality, whatever that is and for what it's worth. They seem to understand the structure of creation far better than what I read on here. And they do bitch about this or that writer wrecking their favorite characters, writing shitty storylines, etc, but then they stop watching or watch another show. They don't follow what Jerry Hall is doing each day because of some void. Or become some sort of cyber groupies of the backing band and roadies. And I guess I'm wondering why this element exists. Perhaps this has gone on all the time and I'm just aware of it since stumbling onto this little slice of oddball internet community in a sea of weird. I suppose it's similar to the deadheads, maybe just more middle aged and suburban?

Perhaps they are they're own worse enemies. Perhaps that level of worship makes their object of desire lazy? Think of this in context of the dead art article I posted.

or don't!

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12