ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Good night... sleep tide ;)
© Unkown Author but with thanks to Irina!

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Show Us Yer Faces Redux Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
25th May 2004 11:36 AM
Joey
quote:
not bound to please wrote:

What are you having for lunch today, Joey?

Going home for lunch --- Leftovers !!!!

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWhat ?!?!?! Oh , sure :

FIREFALL :
" You Are The Woman "

" You are the woman that I've always dreamed of
I knew it from the start
I saw your face and that's the
last I've seen of my heart

it's not so much the things you say to me
it's not the things you do
it's how I feel each time you're close to me
that keeps me close to you, woh oh
it's not so much your pretty face I see
it's not the clothes you wear
it's more that special way you look at me
that always keeps me there, woh oh woh

it's hard tootell you all the love I'm feelin'
that's just not my style
you got a way of send my senses rellin'
every time you smile, woh
I saw your face and that's the
last I've seen of my heart
of my heart
oh oh of my heart "
25th May 2004 11:37 AM
jb Thanks Joey....
25th May 2004 11:43 AM
Joey
quote:
jb wrote:
Thanks Joey....

Anytime My Jewish Brother :

25th May 2004 11:44 AM
not bound to please
quote:
Joey wrote:

Anytime My Jewish Brother :

Get a room!

25th May 2004 11:45 AM
Bloozehound I dunno about all that Rummy, these aren't The Monkeys or Frankie Avalon msg's boards.

These are "THE STONES" your talking about, they're second only in worldwide popularity & prestigue to only the Beatles (some will tell you this, I dont buy into the beatles anymore). They're as relevant today as they ever have been, as Nasty points out they're the center axis of r&r & will forever be. This is due to their past achievements & their perseverance to continue on today 40 years later.

They not only SET the bar - they CREATED the bar that all that have come since will be judged by and let me tell you I have sampled the waters and no one and I mean NO ONE has come even close to giving me the pure, unadulterated, listening satisfaction that these guys can with what they created in studio or live for 40 years. And they're still making decent, quality music and putting on one of the best live shows you're gonna see. After 40 years of making musical history - there's ALOT to sit around and discuss.

Repurcusions of their magic is still being felt today - with all this garage band revival. What do all these hip, young garagebander's wanna do ? Well they wanna do what all hip - youngster, garagebanders have been doing for 30+ years - they basically emulate, and wanna be the Stones, pure & simple.

The Stones never go out of style.
25th May 2004 11:48 AM
Joey
quote:

Get a room!

" Strange Way "

" Didn't I hear you cry this mornin
didn't I feel you weep
Teardrops falling down on me
Like rivers in my sleep

In my dream of laughter
You came creeping with your tears
Telling me your sorrow
In the trace ends of your tears

That's a strange way to tell me you love me
When your sorrow is all I can see
If you just want to cry to somebody
Don't cry to me
No don't cry to me

Didn't I hear your voice this morning
Didn't you call my name
I heard you whisper softly
But the words were never plain
And in your dream of darkness
I came shinin like a sun
Waiting for the laughter
But the last I never caught
(Repeat Chorus)

Didn't you feel alone this mornin
didn't you need a friend
And in your darkest hour
You came runnin back again

In my dream of laughter
You came creeping with your tears
Telling me your sorrow
In the trace end of your tears

When your sorrow is all I can see
If you just want to cry to somebody
Don't cry to me
No don't cry to me
Don't cry to me
Don't cry to me
Don't cry to me

That's a strange way to tell me you love me "

" Stones Rule You Bastards ! "

25th May 2004 11:51 AM
not bound to please Okay - but why do people buy it when they knock out the formula, stones by numbers, that they have basically been doing with rare exceptions, since the early 80s? I guess I answered my own question - they don't. At least not the public.
25th May 2004 11:55 AM
not bound to please Say you, say me;
say it for always
That's the way it should be
Say you, say me;
say it together
Naturally
I had a dream I had an awesome dream
People in the park playing games in the dark
And what they played was a masquerade
And from behind of walls of doubt a voice was crying out
Say you, say me...
As we go down life's lonesome highway
Seems the hardest thing to do is to find a friend or two
A helping hand - Some one who understands
That when you feel you've lost your way
You've got some one there to say "I'll show you"
So you think you know the answers
- Oh no'Couse the whole world has got you dancing
That's right - I'm telling you
It's time to start believing -
Oh yes
Believing who you are: You are a shining star
Say it together... naturally

25th May 2004 12:06 PM
Bloozehound
quote:
Okay - but why do people buy it when they knock out the formula, stones by numbers, that they have basically been doing with rare exceptions, since the early 80s? I guess I answered my own question - they don't. At least not the public.

If I'm not mistaken the 40 Licks tour last year generated more $$$ than any other musical - concert act in the world. Someone's still buying into them.
25th May 2004 12:12 PM
Joey
quote:
Say you, say me;
say it for always
That's the way it should be
Say you, say me;
say it together
Naturally
I had a dream I had an awesome dream
People in the park playing games in the dark
And what they played was a masquerade
And from behind of walls of doubt a voice was crying out
Say you, say me...
As we go down life's lonesome highway
Seems the hardest thing to do is to find a friend or two
A helping hand - Some one who understands
That when you feel you've lost your way
You've got some one there to say "I'll show you"
So you think you know the answers
- Oh no'Couse the whole world has got you dancing
That's right - I'm telling you
It's time to start believing -
Oh yes
Believing who you are: You are a shining star
Say it together... naturally

I would like to tickle you with my erect nipples .

J Fly !
25th May 2004 12:21 PM
not bound to please
quote:
Joey wrote:

I would like to tickle you with my erect nipples .

J Fly !

You just want to make Josh jealous!

25th May 2004 12:23 PM
not bound to please
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:

If I'm not mistaken the 40 Licks tour last year generated more $$$ than any other musical - concert act in the world. Someone's still buying into them.

I meant the albums, if they are still called that. Pretty bad sales from what I've gathered. I'd guess most of the people that go to Stones shows have a couple old cds, if any.

Why do you think they continue to make new music? Or rather, the music they are making.

25th May 2004 01:00 PM
Bloozehound I would imagine most those concert goers bought the new album. I mean how well does the new Rod Stewart, Clapton, or Barbara Streisand album sell in comparison to how well the new Stones album sells ?

I'm not all that crazy about the Stones music since the mid 80's either, but I'll tell you each album contains at least a handfull of really good songs, so if it takes an albums worth of songs to get those few really good ones, so be it.

Speaking of which, I've been listening to VL alot lately and I'm convinced it is a minor masterpiece of later day work. I liked it when it first came out, then forgot about it, and now it's like I've rediscovered it.

What I've found interesting was about a week ago, in a thread about b-sides off this album, quite a few others here felt just like I do that most of the b-sides off VL were better than alot of songs that were on the album.

I realized why this is, it's cause those b-sides reminded us of the glory years of the Stones sound. You could draw a direct line of descendance from the sound and attitude present on those few B-sides straight back to the big 4 era Stones albums that we all love. In my perfect world that's the directon & style of music I think they should be pursuing rather than the "Don't Stop" type of stuff.

Maybe next album they need to get Jack White on to produce & get them back to a more basic, leaner, meaner, rawer sound, but then again they've been there and done that, why would they not want to progress forward, instead of being stuck in the past ?

It's kinda catch 22-ish, a true enigma of choice and decision, and I think they've done pretty well despite the odds.
[Edited by Bloozehound]
25th May 2004 01:12 PM
Bloozehound one more thing...

I think (hope) their lowest creative period came during the mid - late 80's, which also happened to coincide with the feud.

It seems they've started to get the magic back with their last 2 albums. There's still a bit of friction between the two leaders and that plays a big part of the "problem" but it seems (we hope) they've let it slide and have learned to work together again (sort of).

This next album will say alot about what the future holds for this band. It's been 7 years & I think they truely owe it to their fans to give it 110% and put out a REALLY great album. All this talk of rehashing outtakes & leftovers gets me a tad worried, yea yea yea Tattoo You....but we'll see, only time will tell.
[Edited by Bloozehound]
25th May 2004 03:35 PM
not bound to please
"I would imagine most those concert goers bought the new album."

I seriously doubt that.

"I mean how well does the new Rod Stewart, Clapton, or Barbara Streisand album sell in comparison to how well the new Stones album sells ?"

Probably a lot better.

"I'm not all that crazy about the Stones music since the mid 80's either, but I'll tell you each album contains at least a handfull of really good songs, so if it takes an albums worth of songs to get those few really good ones, so be it. "

What do you mean by really good? Are you talking product? Or art?

"Speaking of which, I've been listening to VL alot lately and I'm convinced it is a minor masterpiece of later day work."

Oh no! Were you around when the great VL vs B2B debates raged? VL is nothing but stones by numbers. Phoned in cliches. Stuff that dudes with Van Halen avatars would like. Stuff that people who "rock out" to Start Me Up would like. The worst kind of pandering swill.

" You could draw a direct line of descendant from the sound and attitude present on those few B-sides straight back to the big 4 era Stones albums that we all love."

What are you smoking? Can you pass it this way?

"Maybe next album they need to get Jack White on to produce & get them back to a more basic, leaner, meaner, rawer sound, "

I doubt that will happen. For that to happen they would have to admit that they lost it and others found it in the meanwhile.

Won't happen.

Egos. Big fat lazy egos.

"but then again they've been there and done that, why would they not want to progress forward, instead of being stuck in the past ? "

Yeah - Don't Stop was a great progression from Exile.

"It's kinda catch 22-ish, a true enigma of choice and decision, and I think they've done pretty well despite the odds."

I think they pissed on their legacy so much it's damn near drown. Or they just poisoned it. I don't think swimming in and drinking piss is too healthy.

25th May 2004 03:44 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
I don't think swimming in and drinking piss is too healthy.

I agree.
25th May 2004 03:48 PM
Joey
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:

I agree.

Moof Piss

http://oddsandsods.imdanet.com/petephotos2.htm
25th May 2004 04:05 PM
Bloozehound I think you're as they say "taking the piss"

I'm dead serious about the B-sides, I've thought the B-sides since Steel Wheels have been as they also say "the shiznit"
25th May 2004 04:06 PM
not bound to please
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:

I agree.

Don't stop!

25th May 2004 04:07 PM
Bloozehound Don't Stop would make pretty decent album filler.
25th May 2004 04:09 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
Okay Nasty, it IS telling you are the only one to reply to my queries. But it ain't shocking. I've been around these parts long enough to know better...

Everybody plays the fool sometimes. No exception to the rules!

quote:

"They still exist, right? "

Not quite certain. Depends. Sometimes I think they do - sometimes I'm damn sure they don't. I suspect Mick at least was abducted by aliens in 1983.

Should have phrased this as an 'in order to continue this discussion we must first agree whether or not they exist or not' because this is open for aesthetic debate. I mean, for my own narrative purposes I enjoy the idea that they roiled and boiled into the screaming conclave of violence and hatred that is Dirty Work and it all got sucked down the toilet, then they all had a big knife fight and Keith sings "Sleep Tonight" as he bleeds to death, leaving Stu to turn out the lights.

Everything from '89 forward is IMNASHO cash-in and victory laps, with the only music that has any real impact for me past the simple pleasure of listening to the band go through the numbers (I do enjoy the numbers for a while, I just can't live by them) being the Bridges album, and that most likely because there is audible conflict and tension going on within the band, and it's that push and pull that make for some genuinely exciting and interesting music.

But for whatever reason I have faith in them as musicians and maybe even as artists -- there is their contemporary Bob Dylan as an example - he actually made GREAT albums in the 90s and the Aughts after making worse albums than the Rolling Stones have ever come close to making (although Primitive Cool is another matter) with Down in the Groove, Knocked Out Loaded and Empire Burlesque. I guess this hold out of hope is what makes ME a fan. I don't expect much on one had but I expect the whole wide world on another.

quote:

Right. But the more I read these boards - the more I suspect the following ain't following, if you know what I mean...

Maybe it doesn't matter that much. Maybe pop idolotry and admiration are all a certain segment of the fanbase wants or needs. People (not anybody reading this!) definitely live vicariously through celebrities and artists. It's an essential component of celebrity, which has always been a real strong motivation for becoming an artist in the first place.

I don't visit any of the other Stones boards often, but Rocks Off has morphed into a place where people gather together because of a common interest in the Stones, which is an interesting bond, but end up talking about just about everything but. Where else can you find a community where you can pick up on some great musical recommendations, some live tapes, some stimulating political debate, articles about stoner and drunkard art, rambling discourse about the artistic state of the band, dada lyrical quotations and the occasionally hilarious running gag, like the "thanks" faux-politeness or monkey pissing iconography? All filtered through a Stonesian sensibility which we all kinda have even if we don't always agree on what that means or what it is. I've been having to do Ebay a lot lately, which is why I've posted more on Rocks Off than I have been, and I think it's a pretty fun place to flit back to every hour or two while you're at work. Obviously you've been computer bound a lot yourself lately, and here you are. An inmate in the asylum just like the rest of us.

25th May 2004 04:09 PM
not bound to please
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:
I think you're as they say "taking the piss"

I'm dead serious about the B-sides, I've thought the B-sides since Steel Wheels have been as they also say "the shiznit"

Dandelion and milk thistle are good for your piss.

But they still suck.

Baaahhh

ps - why would the official releases suck - yet the b sides be really good? Ever wonder?

25th May 2004 04:11 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
Joey wrote:
Moof Piss

http://oddsandsods.imdanet.com/petephotos2.htm

Killer, Spuds! Thanks!

Oh yeah....MOOF PISS!
[Edited by sirmoonie]
25th May 2004 04:17 PM
not bound to please " Where else can you find a community where you can pick up on some great musical recommendations, some live tapes, some stimulating political debate, articles about stoner and drunkard art, rambling discourse about the artistic state of the band, dada lyrical quotations and the occasionally hilarious running gag, like the "thanks" faux-politeness or monkey pissing iconography? All filtered through a Stonesian sensibility which we all kinda have even if we don't always agree on what that means or what it is. I've been having to do Ebay a lot lately, which is why I've posted more on Rocks Off than I have been, and I think it's a pretty fun place to flit back to every hour or two while you're at work. Obviously you've been computer bound a lot yourself lately, and here you are. An inmate in the asylum just like the rest of us. "

I contend that Joey and Josh are far more creative than the Stones at this point.

And I'm damn serious.

This place at it's best is a mix of an exquisite corpse, experimental narrative, Mexican soap opera, performance art, and psych ward all rolled into one.

Much better than anything the Stones have done lately.

Plus, my Achilles heal is still fucked up.

25th May 2004 04:25 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:

Here is the thing. What is a "fan" and what is the "public"'s perception? I don't know - but when I became a "fan": of the group way back when, at the age of 12, I would have never in a million years imagined this geeky sort of web following. I mean - I hated teen idols, but it seems many fetish=ze them into being that. It's creepy to me. And more than a little disturbing.

Well, it depends on which public. There is a segment of the population for whom they are nothing but the radio hits. This population seems to see them as nothing more than a legend who you ought to see at least once before you die just to say you did. Turns out it is fun to go see the Rolling Stones but obviously though it is incredibly fun it does not inspire this part of the pop. to go buy records, perhaps because the legacy is so big and perhaps because it took a year's worth of CD budget to go see them play live.

If you're talking about the music enthusiast public, the folkses that lives and breathes for new or old music, a segment of the population I actually know something about, then generally the Rolling Stones are no longer a factor for them, but the are a fact of life. This type of person usually loves the Stones up to Some Girls and maybe Tattoo You and either looks at the contemporary band as something they're very distanced from or as another thing all together. Sometimes someone in this camp will be like, "Yeah, I went to see the Stones. It was surprisingly good! I had a great time . . ." and etc. but it's almost like an aplogetic thing, again I use the term guilty pleasure. Most used CD stores have copies of Steel Wheels, Voodoo Lounge, Bridges to Babylon in stock, but none of the rest of the Stones catalog. Trust me, they never sell. People won't buy these things if they're building their Stones library.

Personally, I think that critics are going to rediscover Bridges in later years and give it a pass as a genuine and vital Stones album. And honestly, I don't know that 30 years from now people are going to be able to tell a significant difference in the vibe of Voodoo Lounge and It's Only Rock and Roll, which maybe says more about IORR than it does about VL but what the hell.

What is a fan? Well, every fan has his own definition. Some have to collect every 7" there has been. Some every show. Some just like looking at pictures of the boys.

As far as never suspecting when you were 12 that there would be this particular type of community, who would have thought that there would be any kind of communications device that would make it possible to unite people of a certain type/kink/bent/interest by just typing a few meagre words into a search engine? True, the temptation for such a world is to find a hole that has other little rabbits that like the same food you do and hunker down in it, but really. I think that you want to be outraged by places like this and therefore you are. Like whoever posted whatever about Jerry Hall. You don't know that they were surfing the internet looking for Jerry Hall stuff. Just as likely they stumbled across it in their daily nuts and gatherings of news, and brought it over here without much thought at all. No big deal.

25th May 2004 04:30 PM
Joey " I contend that Joey and Josh are far more creative than the Stones at this point. "

" And I'm damn serious. "

" This place at it's best is a mix of an exquisite corpse, experimental narrative, Mexican soap opera, performance art, and psych ward all rolled into one. "

" Much better than anything the Stones have done lately. "

" Plus, my Achilles heal is still fucked up. "

Bercee !
[Edited by Joey]
25th May 2004 04:35 PM
sirmoonie Moof Piss!

Check it!

I have a sad story to tell you.
It may hurt your feelings a bit.
last night, when I walked in my bathroom,
I stepped in a pile of...
Shaving cream, be nice and clean!
Shave every day, and you'll always look keen.

I think I'll break up with my girlfriend.
Her antics are queer, I'll admit.
Each time I say "Darling, I love you,"
She tells me that I'm full of...

A baby fell out of the window.
You'd think that her head would be split.
But good luck was with her that morning.
She fell in a barrel of...

When I was in France with the Army,
One day I looked into my kit.
I thought I would find me a sandwich,
But the darn thing was loaded with...

And now, folks, my story is ended.
I think it is time I should quit.
If any of you feel offended,
Stick your head in a barrel of...
Shave every day, and you'll always look keen
25th May 2004 04:37 PM
not bound to please
quote:
Joey wrote:

" Plus, my Achilles heal is still fucked up. "

Bercee !
[Edited by Joey]

I know. The doc says to stay off it for a week. I do - then go out later - then it's fucked up again!

I had warmed up shrimp scampi for lunch.

25th May 2004 04:48 PM
Joey
quote:

I know. The doc says to stay off it for a week. I do - then go out later - then it's fucked up again!

I had warmed up shrimp scampi for lunch.

Pasta Tonight with Liberty School Cabernet !

Bushie43 at Thirty Eight Percent in the polls and dropping . I am so excited I feel like doing THIS :

Spazzy !

[Edited by Joey]
25th May 2004 04:50 PM
not bound to please Nasty spake:
"Well, it depends on which public. There is a segment of the population for whom they are nothing but the radio hits. This population seems to see them as nothing more than a legend who you ought to see at least once before you die just to say you did. "

Right. Most people at the shows I suspect.

" and etc. but it's almost like an aplogetic thing, again I use the term guilty pleasure. "

Right. And can you blame them?

"Personally, I think that critics are going to rediscover Bridges in later years and give it a pass as a genuine and vital Stones album."

I stopped paying attention after Tattoo You. So did many friends. The consensus was that the Stones were the Stones again with Bridges. Then they dropped the ball again.

"As far as never suspecting when you were 12 that there would be this particular type of community, who would have thought that there would be any kind of communications device that would make it possible to unite people of a certain type/kink/bent/interest by just typing a few meagre words into a search engine? "

Yeah I know. I once mentioned I knew Kenneth Anger...long story after.

I guess I meant that to me, the Stones were not the fucking backstreet boys. They were 19th century decadents and romantics carrying on into this century. I just don't get the rabid fan's connection. It's weird. It's like Michael Jackson fans stomping on a Delacroix.

"True, the temptation for such a world is to find a hole that has other little rabbits that like the same food you do and hunker down in it, but really. I think that you want to be outraged by places like this and therefore you are. Like whoever posted whatever about Jerry Hall. "

Oh no - not outraged by any means. Playing it up for effect. More assumed and perplexed. Truly.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12