ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

Werchter Park - Werchter. Belgium - 5th June 2007
© Benoit Doppagne with very special thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Townshend: Rolling Stones inspired "Substitute" Return to archive
30th May 2007 09:48 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Thursday, May 31, 2007
The Rock radio online

Townshend: Rolling Stones inspired "Substitute"

Pete Townshend of The Who credits legendary songs by the Rolling Stones and Smokey Robinson and the Miracles as the inspiration for the Who's classic 1966 single "Substitute."

Townshend has been posting excerpts from his upcoming autobiography, titled Who He?, on his blog (petetownshend-whohe.blogspot.com), and detailed the origin of the song, recalling that, "(The Rolling Stones' manager) Andrew Oldham played me a white label (test pressing) of the Stones' '19th Nervous Breakdown.' I found the track inspiring... The word 'substitute' had become a sublime buzzword since Smokey Robinson had used it in his masterpiece 'The Tracks Of My Tears.'"

Townshend went on to explain that, "My song began as homage to Smokey Robinson inspired by the Rolling Stones. As the song lyric unraveled before me, yet another thesis emerged: the voice of a young man who appeared to be someone he was not, who was playing a role, uneasily, perhaps hypocritically, playing R&B (black) music, relying on silly gimmicky outfits and pretending to be wild and free when in reality he needed to be looked after by his mother."

Although Townshend has collaborated with Robinson, he has teamed up with Jagger a number of times, most notably supplying guitar on the Rolling Stones song "Slave" on their 1981 Tattoo You album.

Townshend says that although he and Jagger have never written together, it's not something that's entirely out of the question: "You know, even very, very intimate friends like Mick Jagger, and I'm a great fan of his solo work, I think it's incredibly underestimated. You know, he's asked me to work on several records with him and I've very much enjoyed doing it. But he's never suggested that we write together. Now, his ex-wife Jerry (Hall) used to say all the time, 'You and Pete should write together.' And we would kind of go, 'Yeah, yeah, yeah. It may happen, it may not.'"

The Who performed on Wednesday, May 30th, on the Isle Of Man at the Peel Bay Festival.

30th May 2007 10:17 PM
mrhipfl what Who songs haven't been inspired by the Stones?
30th May 2007 10:51 PM
gimmekeef
quote:
mrhipfl wrote:
what Who songs haven't been inspired by the Stones?

Pictures of Lilly?......
30th May 2007 10:51 PM
pdog
quote:
mrhipfl wrote:

everything since the first farewell tour!
31st May 2007 02:24 AM
sirmoonie
quote:
mrhipfl wrote:

Most of them.
31st May 2007 03:12 AM
Honky Tonk Man I knew Townsend wrote I Can't Explain as a bit of a Kinks rip-off, but I guess The Stones were going to be a major influence too. What I don't think is recognised enough is the fact that it was Keith Richards who influenced Townsend’s windmill guitar movements.
31st May 2007 07:33 AM
Maxlugar I've read that Mick and Petey have indeed attempted to write together on numerous occasions.

But Petey would leave Jagger in the studio for hours while he went upstairs to do research on his computer.

Things never really got going. In the studio at least...

31st May 2007 08:08 AM
Nellcote Research?
You want research?
This may be old, however, Petey makes an appearance....

http://www.zipperfish.com/free/quiz/likejailbait.php
31st May 2007 10:07 AM
Joey
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:

Although Townshend has collaborated with Robinson, he has teamed up with Jagger a number of times, most notably supplying guitar on the Rolling Stones song "Slave" on their 1981 Tattoo You album.

Townshend says that although he and Jagger have never written together, it's not something that's entirely out of the question: "You know, even very, very intimate friends like Mick Jagger, and I'm a great fan of his solo work, I think it's incredibly underestimated. You know, he's asked me to work on several records with him and I've very much enjoyed doing it. But he's never suggested that we write together. Now, his ex-wife Jerry (Hall) used to say all the time, 'You and Pete should write together.' And we would kind of go, 'Yeah, yeah, yeah. It may happen, it may not.'"

The Who performed on Wednesday, May 30th, on the Isle Of Man at the Peel Bay Festival.

YES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

31st May 2007 10:08 AM
Joey
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:

Pictures of Lilly?......

Christ, that's posting on loan from God right there.

That's miracle on ice postin'!
31st May 2007 11:23 AM
corgi37 It's over, Pete. It's over. Mick has moved on.

So he copied his guitar style from Keith, many songs from from the Stones.

Shit! Get a life.
31st May 2007 11:42 AM
Saint Sway
quote:
Pete's Rearend said:
"You know, even VERY, VERY INTIMATE friends like Mick Jagger...."

^ I puked up and was unable to read the rest
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)