ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

Werchter Park - Werchter. Belgium - 5th June 2007
© Benoit Doppagne with very special thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Will The Police tour outsell the Stones? Return to archive Page: 1 2
29th May 2007 04:35 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Will The Police tour outsell the Stones?

Sting and friends are already the big ticket item of the summer
CanWest News Service
Published: Tuesday, May 29, 2007
The Edmonton Journal 2007

VANCOUVER - Will the Police's mildly titled The Police Tour be an all-time tour grossing record breaker?

The trio's 30th anniversary tour, which officially started Monday night in Vancouver, hits Edmonton on Saturday. It is currently the biggest ticket-seller of the summer season, so making the Top 5 this year is a given.

But to enter the top tours of all time means following in the footsteps of giants and being willing to stay on tour for, quite literally, years.

Font: ****The Top Three looks unattainable.

The world's record for the highest-grossing tour of all time is held by the Rolling Stones for the band's multi-year A Bigger Bang. Final figure tallies have yet to be announced, but at last reckoning, the U.K. legends were past the $437-million US mark and it's estimated the final tally could reach well beyond that figure.

Second place runners-up U2 were at $377 million US for the Vertigo tour.

The Stones' Voodoo Lounge tour, which netted $320 million US, holds third place.

It's a long way down to the next highest-grosser, Madonna, who pulled in a mere $195 million US for her Confessions jaunt, the highest-earning tour by a female artist in history.

Bon Jovi netted $131 million US last year.

The Number Five spot -- and the largest country music roadshow of 2006 by a pure prairie mile -- was Soul 2 Soul II, featuring Faith Hill and Tim McGraw (with June dates in Vancouver, Edmonton, Saskatoon, Toronto and Ottawa).

At $88.8 million and counting, this tour will set all-time C&W records by the time it winds down this year.
29th May 2007 07:30 AM
Jumacfly Police show is sold out in Paris...unlike the Stones, but they come here every summer so it s quite logic.
29th May 2007 08:03 AM
MRD8 Sting, the Police Wow Vancouver at Start of Global Reunion Tour

By Christopher Donville and Mark Beech

May 29 (Bloomberg) -- ``I'd like to introduce the band,'' Sting joked to 20,000 fans in Vancouver as the Police started a world reunion tour. ``Andy, this is Stewart.''

The announcement, two songs into a global trek that is billed as the year's biggest and will include more than 60 concerts, was greeted with laughter and applause.

The 55-year-old singer-bassist said it was the band's first major concert in two decades and paid tribute to ``the greatest drummer in the world,'' Stewart Copeland, 54, and guitarist Andy Summers, 64. The trio reprised 20 hits such as ``Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic'' and ``Every Breath You Take.''

More than 1.77 million tickets for the tour have been sold so far, according to the band's publicist Clare Fisher at RMP. Tickets cost between $50 and $225 on online sites, though seats for some sold-out venues are on offer for $2,500 for two on EBay Inc.'s Web site.

``How're we doing?'' Sting said, sipping from a black coffee cup. The audience at General Motors Place -- including the young and old, though mostly fans in their 30s and 40s -- knew the words to every song, making the two-hour concert akin to a soccer-style chorus, beginning with the opener ``Message in a Bottle.''

Sting, tanned and wearing a white top, followed with a more than five-minute version of ``Synchronicity II.''

The Police leaped from the U.K. punk scene in 1977. The three were among the world's biggest rock stars in the 1980s, blending reggae and pop, selling more than 50 million albums, winning five Grammies and then breaking up at the height of success.

Front-Row Fan

The concert last night followed a low-key gig on May 27 for about 4,000 Premium members of the Police Fan Club, who paid $100 for membership. Lizbeth Montana, 31, a Los Angeles elementary- school teacher, attended the earlier performance and described her front-row seat as ``the icing on the cake.''

The band may gross at least $200 million, according to ABC News. The London Sunday Times said that main songwriter Sting alone might make 70 million pounds ($139 million).

The trio may still trail sums made by the Rolling Stones and U2. ``A Bigger Bang,'' the Rolling Stones tour starting in 2005, has made more than $437 million, said Billboard, while U2's Vertigo tour reaped $377 million.

Family Support

Last night, the opening act was British band Fiction Plane -- singer-bassist Joe Sumner is Sting's son. ``It's like he's going to break into Roxanne,'' said audience member Lexine Stephens, 35, a radio announcer from Calgary.

Others were unconcerned by the Police's collective age of 173 years. Matthew Reid, 30, a Vancouver English teacher, said of the Police, ``It's one of those bands you rediscover every few years. It's been there my whole life.''

The Police bandwagon heads across North America with about 40 dates in 26 cities including a July 7 appearance at Live Earth, the event headed by former U.S. Vice President Al Gore, and an Aug. 4 date at the Baltimore leg of the Richard Branson-inspired Virgin Festival.

There are more than 20 shows in Europe, and more in Mexico and South America. In 2008, the tour will move to New Zealand, Australia and Japan with more dates to be added.

The Police may encourage even more aging rockers to take to the road and ensure a comfortable retirement. Iggy Pop turned 60 by reforming the Stooges, while the Who, Genesis, Rage Against the Machine and the Smashing Pumpkins all have reunions, and fans of Pink Floyd and Guns N' Roses hope their idols may reform.

``They made history here tonight,'' said Shig Hayashi, 40, a telecommunications engineer from Saitama, Japan, who said she quit her job of 13 years to attend Police concerts in Vancouver, New York and London. ``It was worth it.''

29th May 2007 08:58 AM
gimmekeef They drew 20,000 while the Stones with higher prices sold out a 50,000 seat Dome.....
29th May 2007 09:56 AM
Joey
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
They drew 20,000 while the Stones with higher prices sold out a 50,000 seat Dome.....

This is gonna be a huge friggin tour for " The Police " ( I have never seen such hysteria since the Beatles landed on American Soil eleven weeks after JFK was assassinated )

The Rolling Stones simply MUST do whatever is necessary to win gross .

Developing ..........................

www.thepolicetour.com

29th May 2007 10:52 AM
Ten Thousand Motels The Police will do OK. But the writer of the article answered his own question.

"The Top Three looks unattainable."

29th May 2007 11:08 AM
Tom Video of the opening night

http://www.thepolice.com/mediaPlayer/winPlayer.php?id=119&format=WIN&speed=H&type=v
29th May 2007 11:15 AM
Joey
quote:
Tom wrote:
Video of the opening night

http://www.thepolice.com/mediaPlayer/winPlayer.php?id=119&format=WIN&speed=H&type=v

Tom ..............................

Bless You --- You are much loved by Joey .
29th May 2007 11:22 AM
shakedhandswithkeith nothing sold out in germany, the police a little more as the stones, if the stones would play 3 arena concerts they wouldn`t be sold out. IMO to much shows with warhorses, not really new stage since 1989. .....and much to expensive.

But what should we do? GO TO SEE THEM!

29th May 2007 11:33 AM
Joey
quote:
shakedhandswithkeith wrote:

But what should we do? GO TO SEE THEM!

Yes --- please see this band and thank your young Joeykins later .

|
|
V

www.thepolicetour.com

29th May 2007 11:35 AM
Dan This tour is huge. Anyone want to buy a single cheapo ticket for the SOLD OUT Vegas show?
29th May 2007 11:38 AM
glencar I wouldn't take it even for free, my friend!
29th May 2007 12:05 PM
Joey " I wouldn't take it even for free, my friend! "

" WHOOF ! "
29th May 2007 04:26 PM
pdog
quote:
Joey wrote:
" I wouldn't take it even for free, my friend! "

" WHOOF ! "

you sick fuck...
31st May 2007 04:12 PM
Joey
quote:
pdog wrote:

The Police tour will gross much more than ABB

I simply MUST disagree with you Poi Diggity Dog .

Mick & Keith will do whatever is necessary to win gross -- even some Far East dates if necessary .

Developing ...............................
31st May 2007 04:17 PM
Dan I sold my Police ticket easily though I was worried about all the reports of bargains to be had. Thankfully mine wasn't one of them. Hopefully I can hit the Anaheim gig.
31st May 2007 05:06 PM
Joey
quote:
Dan wrote:
I sold my Police ticket easily though I was worried about all the reports of bargains to be had. Thankfully mine wasn't one of them. Hopefully I can hit the Anaheim gig.

www.thepolicetour.com

www.QWESTCENTER.com

31st May 2007 05:25 PM
Dan
quote:
Joey wrote:

www.thepolicetour.com

www.QWESTCENTER.com

I don't see an Omaha date. Maybe since they are selling out stadiums they deemed Omaha not worth the effort?
31st May 2007 05:52 PM
texile apples and oranges...
the police probably will sell more - they're just one of those bands.....
but if not mistaken, so does celine dion, right?
31st May 2007 06:18 PM
Joey
quote:
Dan wrote:

I don't see an Omaha date. Maybe since they are selling out stadiums they deemed Omaha not worth the effort?

We lost our July " THE POLICE " concert to " AL GORE'S Live Earth Festival " ... 07/07/07 .

.....second leg begins in November ( look for an Omaha Date at THE QWEST ) -- Pre Party at " Mr. Toads " . Word .

Snazzy ! ™
31st May 2007 06:19 PM
fireontheplatter i have seen the police 1 time and it was during the promotion tour for their regadda de blanc record.
it was at some univercity in montreal back in the day...sting was playing his stand up bass.
everything was fresh and new and exciting then.....
i was a dancing fool that night...especially when they busted into...walking on the moooooooon.

everybody say ow
31st May 2007 06:20 PM
Joey
quote:
fireontheplatter wrote:
i have seen the police 1 time and it was during the promotion tour for their regadda de blanc record.
it was at some univercity in montreal back in the day...sting was playing his stand up bass.
everything was fresh and new and exciting then.....
i was a dancing fool that night...especially when they busted into...walking on the moooooooon.

everybody say ow

I love that story .....................
31st May 2007 06:20 PM
fireontheplatter they are scheduled to play giants stadium...
maybe i'll go.

everybody say oww
31st May 2007 06:59 PM
gimmekeef They can play my backyard...but I'll close the curtains and cut off the power....This tour wont be top 10 alltime...no how....
31st May 2007 07:22 PM
Dan
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
They can play my backyard...but I'll close the curtains and cut off the power....This tour wont be top 10 alltime...no how....

I think it definitely will. Multiple arena shows in major and even minor markets with full 360 seating and stadium shows. I don't think it will outsell the Stones in gross but definitely volume.
1st June 2007 11:42 AM
Joey
quote:
Dan wrote:

I think it definitely will. Multiple arena shows in major and even minor markets with full 360 seating and stadium shows. I don't think it will outsell the Stones in gross but definitely volume.

I do not own a single Police album or CD .

However , me ' gut instinct ' tells me that THIS is a tour to see this year .

Developing ........................

www.thepolicetour.com

1st June 2007 03:42 PM
gimmekeef Joey past experience would indicate your gut instincts generally are quite foul......developing indeed......
1st June 2007 03:45 PM
Joey " Joey past experience would indicate your gut instincts generally are quite foul......developing indeed...... "

1st June 2007 03:51 PM
_Boomy_ Has someone implanted something from "Clerks" in this thread?

Every time I get in here I hear "Hey, try not to suck any dick on the way to the parking lot.........get back here!!"
[Edited by _Boomy_]
1st June 2007 03:53 PM
pdog The attendance figures, not gross, it what impresses me...

Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)