ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
June 14, 1991
© 1991 Associated Newspapers Archive
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Should Stones do this G8 Gig? Return to archive
June 1st, 2005 09:24 AM
Zeeta Maybe?

Maybe not?

Is it just some loud mouthed middle aged men giving it some lip? And does the concert even do anything to help?

OR

A good cause, some good gigs and good ambassadors (Geldof et al)?

Personally I think they should do it cos raising the awareness of poverty is a good thing and also it'd be a good warm up for the tour.............??
June 1st, 2005 09:44 AM
gimmekeef Love the Stones dearly....but they way they operate their business and charge $450 a ticket hardly seems in line with anyone who gives a shit about poverty.Timing is bad too as July 2nd rehearsals wont have started either.Course they could show up and play a new song or 2 to hype the album but doubt they will.I think its a noble cause but will really have no material impact in changing how global economics works.The bigwigs of the so called G8 are politicians solely interested in self grandizement and photo ops....Thats why they waste money having these stupid do nothing meetings....but heck other than that some of these concerts should be pretty good!
June 1st, 2005 10:55 AM
GimmeExile Yes, the Stones should the Live 8 in Philadelphia because I'll be there.
June 1st, 2005 11:46 AM
Nellcote Nothing like a good tune up gig.
After all, presently none of these venues really
have anything of the "star power" to make this gig anywhere near the 1st Live Aid.
If they do, I hope it is kept a secret until
very close in, the surprise value is always best...
June 1st, 2005 12:04 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
Love the Stones dearly....but they way they operate their business and charge $450 a ticket hardly seems in line with anyone who gives a shit about poverty.Timing is bad too as July 2nd rehearsals wont have started either.Course they could show up and play a new song or 2 to hype the album but doubt they will.I think its a noble cause but will really have no material impact in changing how global economics works.The bigwigs of the so called G8 are politicians solely interested in self grandizement and photo ops....Thats why they waste money having these stupid do nothing meetings....but heck other than that some of these concerts should be pretty good!

good point.

when I look at the artists that have already signed up - U2, Elton John, Macca etc - they are all already wealthier than Kings. I'm sure they could write a fat check that would go a long way to fighting world hunger.

Or... donate a portion of the $300 tickets that they routinely sell to their shows.

Or... agree to do a concert to raise money and agree to MATCH whatever donations the public raises.
June 1st, 2005 12:41 PM
telecaster You guys kill me

Do you know what this BS G8 Concert is?

Bono & Co are asking, again, that the G8 countries forgive all debts, again

Bono, Sir Paul, Elton & friends could donate 100% of their assets and future income and it wouldn't be 1/100,000th of what they are asking the G8 countires to do

This is Groundhog Day all over again

Bono & Co begs that we loan money with some huge guilt trip, then asks that we forgive the loan with some guilt trip

The phrase "good money after bad" comes to mind

BTW where is all that "Live Aid" money anway?

June 1st, 2005 01:28 PM
gimmekeef While they're at it I hope someone feeds Geldof....Man he isnt looking too good..but I hope he's feelin real well....
June 1st, 2005 04:46 PM
ListenToTheLion No.
June 1st, 2005 05:28 PM
Busch1 They should do it. Put aside feelings about Geldof, Bono, Elton John, etc. , and also about the benefits/drawbacks of them playing, its impact on the tour, how it fits their schedule, rehearsals, and all the rest. It's not about the Stones.

The bottom line is, we're talking about making people aware of poverty and starvation and millions of senseless deaths. The issue of third-world debt is a complicated one and tough to get a handle on, so I'm not going to say it should automatically be forgiven, as Bono, Geldof and Co. want, but this is something that needs to be addressed. So bringing it to the masses via these concerts can only do good, as far as I can see. Whether it results in anything being done, who knows. But it's better than another fundraiser, because that could be a disaster. Most of the proceeds sent to Africa from Live Aid -- food and money -- was intercepted by warlords and corrupt governments and never made it to those in need. So the Stones writing a check, no matter how big, won't make much of a difference. Maybe performing won't either, but it really can't hurt.

June 1st, 2005 05:49 PM
Poplar
I thought Geldoff sounded like a prick in that press conference. The simple fact is, the G8 countries pour money on these problems every day of every year, and for him to sit there squawking like no one else has ever lifted a finger to help anyone ... who the f--k is he?
June 1st, 2005 06:08 PM
Busch1 I don't think he came off like that at all. In fact he seemed to be very careful not to insult anyone, even praised the G8 nations for their work in Africa. I was at the Philly press conference and watched him from start to finish, and I didn't get a negative impression of him at all.
I don't know enough about the Africa debt issue to debate it one way or another, and I don't know much about Geldof outside of the Live Aid/Live 8 stuff, but I think his intentions are good here.
June 1st, 2005 10:09 PM
Soldatti Yes.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)