ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
June 14, 1991
© 1991 Associated Newspapers Archive
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Johnson impersonator coming to Greenwood (NSC) Return to archive
May 31st, 2005 10:32 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Johnson impersonator coming to Greenwood

In a world of tawdry Elvis impersonators, Rocky Lawrence says he makes his calling an art form.

"I have always played and treated Robert Johnson like Mozart or Beethoven or any other men of that ilk. When you get my Robert Johnson, you get it the way it was written. That's what I wanted, and he deserves that much," said Lawrence.

The Connecticut native has been impersonating Robert Johnson for seven years.

Lawrence says he always get a warm, if sometimes ignorant, reception at his shows. "When I'm in the United States and people ask me what I do, I say I play Robert Johnson. The answer I always get is, 'Robert who?'"

"I want to tell them, 'You know, Robert Johnson, only the guy who started all the rock 'n' roll you hear on the radio,'" said Lawrence.

"Only when I come to Mississippi do people nod their heads because they just know."

Lawrence's musical journey began when he was nine. At the time, he was playing trumpet, and hooked on Louis Armstrong.

To discover Robert Johnson, Lawrence, 50, had to travel back in time.

As he grew older, his turntables were loaded with Led Zeppelin, Eric Clapton, and Jimi Hendrix.

Around the age of 15, he was listening to Jimi Hendrix's song "Voodoo Chile." The beginning riff, he said, sounded very similar to a Muddy Waters song.

Lawrence began to investigate whom Muddy Waters cited as his influences. He tried everything Muddy Waters suggested, including Robert Johnson.

"I just kept going further and further back. I don't know how many more are past Charley Patton. But it was a reverse journey that started at the present. There's something about Robert Johnson that just took me over," said Lawrence.

His first guitar was an acoustic "cigar box, with the strings 2 inches off the board." Everyone else was into electric at the time and wanted to be a fire-breathing guitar player, said Lawrence.

Music would continue to influence him for the rest of his life. Over the years, he started a jazz and blues nightclub.

He later sold it so he could pursue his interest of playing live. He started a band called the Delta Blues Band and began performing several nights a week.

When his stepdaughter was diagnosed with a rare form of cancer, Lawrence was at a loss how to make ends meet.

"I came up with the idea to do Robert Johnson out of love and necessity. I had sold my business and had no band. When a child is that ill, your life changes. I finally decided to do Robert Johnson the way it was meant to be," said Lawrence.

The transformation process took about two years. It was a two-phase project; first he had to get the right look, then he had to master the music.

His outfit is based on a picture taken of Robert Johnson. The right suit took a long time to find, especially the tie. Lawrence said the suit is now a match, except for a boutonniere in his lapel and his two-tone shoes.

Robert Johnson officially recorded 29 songs. There are further recorded variations on the songs. Lawrence set out to play each one with the exact inflection and nuances of the original vinyl recordings.

He also had to master the guitar playing, which included seven different guitar tunings.

Part of his ensemble is a a Gibson L1 acoustic - the same model Robert Johnson played.

His show has gone on the road around the world from South America to Denmark.

"I've been all over the world. You play in Europe, South America, everyone knows who Robert Johnson is. He's as big as Britney Spears in the States," said Lawrence.

Playing with his idols has been a big highlight of his work. Last year he worked with bluesman David "Honey Boy" Edwards.

Edwards has played with Robert Johnson, and was present on the night Robert Johnson was fatally poisoned in 1938.

Lawrence said he had come into his own when "Honey Boy" did a double take and commended him on his impersonation.

He will be performing between 7 p.m. and 10 p.m. Friday at the Blue Parrot Cafe. A $5 charge will be added to the meal ticket. Reservations are strongly recommended.

©Greenwood Commonwealth 2005

[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
June 1st, 2005 05:27 AM
waaghals I'd love to see him play! Have fun!
June 1st, 2005 05:47 AM
waaghals Check out this link and listen to R. Lawrence. Go to the concert if you can! Great music!

http://www.rockylawrence.com./
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)