ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
June 14, 1991
© 1991 Associated Newspapers Archive
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Beast of Burden Return to archive Page: 1 2
May 25th, 2005 10:58 AM
Voodoo Scrounge Have to say that this is currently my favourite stones song. Especially the live licks version. Absolutely tremendous. The boys groove it out so well

If the new album has only one gem like this on it, it will be well worth the money
May 25th, 2005 01:21 PM
diegostone Do myou know the name of the new album and the date?????
????
May 25th, 2005 07:34 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Voodoo Scrounge wrote:
If the new album has only one gem like this on it, it will be well worth the money

They tried a few times with songs on that style, like Almost Hear You Sigh or Keys To Your Love.
May 25th, 2005 09:28 PM
Madafaka BOB is one of my favs songs!
May 26th, 2005 12:34 AM
texile "all your sickness, i suck it up...
throw it all at me, i shrug it off;
there's one thing baby i don't understand,
you keep on telling me i ain/t your kind of man...
ain't i tough enough,
ain't i rough enough,
ain't i rich enough,
in love enough......."
some of the saddest lines ever written.
May 26th, 2005 01:20 AM
Child of the Moon It took me a long while to really enjoy this song. I at first regarded it as one of the weaker tracks on the predominantly rocked-up Some Girls. It slowly grew on me, however, and when a guy in my film class a couple of years ago started gushing to me how much he loved that song, I sat down and just took the song in, and it finally made sense. The guitar work is extraordinary, so simple that it's difficult, and Mick just sounds great. Various live versions have also helped - the ones from Handsome Girls and various '81 shows only cemented my love for the song. And yes, the Licks version is really cool. I think it's probably one of the best songs in both the CD and the DVD.
May 26th, 2005 01:49 AM
Dutch Michael D. My favourite version of Beast of Burden is the one from the '81 North American Tour, i think it was recorded in Houston or Tempe, that is the Greatest live version of beast of burden EVER !! With that great Ernie Watts....
does somebody know where this was recorded, was somebedy at that concert???
[Edited by Dutch Michael D.]
May 26th, 2005 02:43 AM
FotiniD
quote:
texile wrote:
"all your sickness, i suck it up...
throw it all at me, i shrug it off;
there's one thing baby i don't understand,
you keep on telling me i ain/t your kind of man...
ain't i tough enough,
ain't i rough enough,
ain't i rich enough,
in love enough......."
some of the saddest lines ever written.

Yes indeed
May 26th, 2005 02:48 AM
ListenToTheLion
quote:
Soldatti wrote:

They tried a few times with songs on that style, like Almost Hear You Sigh or Keys To Your Love.

???????
May 26th, 2005 02:57 AM
Chris74 Hello Stones Fans,

Listen to the version of "Saturday Night Live 1978" - that's by far the best version of Beast of Burden I've ever heard.

Best Regards
Chris
May 26th, 2005 08:23 AM
Madafaka
quote:
Chris74 wrote:
Hello Stones Fans,

Listen to the version of "Saturday Night Live 1978" - that's by far the best version of Beast of Burden I've ever heard.

Best Regards
Chris

That's a good one, but that night, Mick was a little... Well, you know what happened that night!
May 26th, 2005 11:07 AM
Keefj200 Beast of Burden is a warhorse that never was. It should always be played when the Stones are on tour. It is one of the best excuses Jagger has for prancing and preaching. I love the 78 tour version. Keith's guitar is carrying the song.......the 81 is ragged with Watt's saxaphone dominating. The 78 versions of Beast and Shattered are unbeatable.
May 26th, 2005 11:12 AM
texile i know 3 people who aren't stones fans, and they LOVE this song........like my sister say: 'the only rolling stones song i like....'it's timeless because it means something universal:
you love somebody so much you'll put up with thier shit, and they STILL don't want you......even though they're killing you, YOU still want them..........
May 26th, 2005 11:33 AM
Mr Jimmy
quote:
Keefj200 wrote:
he 78 versions of Beast and Shattered are unbeatable.

I remember the two 78 versions of Beast of Burden (Handsome Girls) and the 'faster & coppier' version is fantastic. The SNL performance is my all time fave!

And of course, Shattered (HG) is amazing. I love Mick's intro:

This one, this one called, this one called, Shat_terrred.
May 26th, 2005 11:39 AM
Mr Jimmy uhhh... that's cHoppier.
May 26th, 2005 11:42 AM
Joey
quote:
Voodoo Scrounge wrote:
Have to say that this is currently my favourite stones song. Especially the live licks version. Absolutely tremendous. The boys groove it out so well

Scroungey ....................

You simply MUST listen to the " Acoustic Version " of Beast of Burden found on the boot : " Stripped Companion " .

Delightful ........ Enjoyable ...... Mesmerizing

M. Jackyfly ! ™
May 26th, 2005 11:45 AM
Joey
quote:
texile wrote:
you love somebody so much you'll put up with thier shit, and they STILL don't want you......even though they're killing you, YOU still want them..........

I can NOT relate to that statement .

May 26th, 2005 11:52 AM
FPM C10 I thought the version on Live Licks was called "Beast of Baden"???

I assumed it was about a German werewolf.

My Bad! (en)
May 26th, 2005 11:55 AM
Voodoo Scrounge Yeah, it does sound to me like he says baden too! Only Jagger can fuck up his own lyrics and still sound good.
Ive heard a few versions of Beast, but I do think that live licks is the better.
[Edited by Voodoo Scrounge]
May 26th, 2005 04:28 PM
Child of the Moon Beast of Baden - Didn't Warren Zevon do that one... no, that was Werewolves of London.
May 26th, 2005 04:33 PM
glencar
quote:
Joey wrote:

Scroungey ....................

You simply MUST listen to the " Acoustic Version " of Beast of Burden found on the boot : " Stripped Companion " .

Delightful ........ Enjoyable ...... Mesmerizing

M. Jackyfly ! ™

yes, I use that as my "need to fall asleep NOW!" music...
[Edited by glencar]
May 27th, 2005 12:00 AM
Soldatti I love the song and the live version of the 81-82 tour is my favorite, the sound of the riff on that tour is out of this world.
May 27th, 2005 02:44 AM
IanBillen
You are right. Even folks that don't really like The Stones simply love that song. I don't know one person that doesn't at-least like it.

I have known alot of people to say "Well I don't really care for The Stones but I do love Beast of Burden".

Ian
May 27th, 2005 05:57 AM
Poplar
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:
I thought the version on Live Licks was called "Beast of Baden"???

he been sing'n that shit like that for years. what gives?

He also seems to say: Jew Got Me Rock'n.
(Joey - hit me with the flag, baby)

[Edited by Poplar]
May 27th, 2005 06:08 AM
Voodoo Scrounge If we are going to turn this into a "Jagger cant pronounce his words" thread then I have a great example.
On "Keys to your love" his says

Im so CWAZY about ya,
Yeah thats the word on the street,

Any others
May 27th, 2005 08:35 AM
souldoggie One of my top five tracks of all time. I remember seeing the ad in Billboard magazine. Miss You had already hit #1 and so had Some Girls...and when it came time to release the second single they put in a full page ad that read, in part, "The Beast Is Released". Of course it went on to make the top ten.

I absolutely love the unedited version that was released on the Some Girls eight-track. It's not a different version or mix...just unedited, where they leave in an extra couple of lines during the second verse, and the song is not faded out, so you get more cool guitar licks and extra Jagger vocal riffing. Same song, just complete without the editing.
May 27th, 2005 08:54 AM
FotiniD
quote:
texile wrote:

The eternal problem... *sigh*
May 27th, 2005 09:16 AM
Voodoo Scrounge Another song which really turns me loose is Under my Thumb on the still life record.
Again, great guitar licks on that track.
May 27th, 2005 02:17 PM
texile yeah souldoggie, i love that one.......
have you ever heard the outtake?
same music track, but a first live vocal - jagger is singing in a falsetto - slightly different lines.....
"cannot help myself, i'm still in love wit-choo........
i wanna live with her, she don't wanna live with me.....
she tells me she don't think that i'm the right kind of man"
his voice is so unaffected and scratchy it sounds confessional.
May 27th, 2005 05:40 PM
souldoggie No, Texile, unfortunately I haven't heard that out-take, but at some point I sure would love to. Thanks for the heads up.
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)