ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
June 14, 1991
© 1991 Associated Newspapers Archive
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŃOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Brian Jones Film News Return to archive
May 13th, 2005 01:50 PM
stewed & Keefed Stones support 'Brian Jones was killed' film

13/05/2005 - 16:26:36

The Rolling Stones have given their blessing to a new film which claims finally to solve the mystery behind the death of guitarist Brian Jones.

Jones was found dead in his swimming pool in 1969, aged 27, and was initially thought to have died from a drink and drugs overdose.

But director Stephen Woolley has uncovered new evidence from a woman who was at the star’s Sussex mansion on the night he died.

Her story has been used in Stoned, which claims Jones was killed by his builder Frank Thorogood – either in an act of murder or manslaughter.

Surviving Stones Mick Jagger and Keith Richards were thought to be unhappy about the project.

But Woolley said: “They have given me a message of support and Mick has said good luck with it.

“From what I have heard they have no problem with the film or what we are about.

“Looking back at some of the interviews Keith did in the Seventies, he was very suspicious about the events of that night.”

Jagger and Richards are portrayed in the film by actors Luke de Woolfson and Ben Whishaw, while Charlie Watts is played by James D White.

But they were not consulted about the film and Woolley said: “I didn’t involve them because I didn’t want it to be a film about the Rolling Stones.

“The Rolling Stones are much bigger than the individual members of the group themselves. I didn’t want to embroil myself with the corporate machine that the Stones have become.”

Jones had been sacked from the band days before his death due to his wild behaviour and drug addiction.

The film is based on three books which were written about Jones’s death, including one by his girlfriend Anna Wohlin.

Woolley, producer of Scandal and The Crying Game, spent 10 years researching the project and bought the rights to the books.

It was always accepted that Jones, Wohlin and Thorogood were at Jones’s home on the night he died.

But Woolley hired a private detective to track down a fourth person who had never told her story before.

Speaking at the film’s launch in Cannes today, Woolley refused to discuss her identity.

But he has named her in the past as Janet Lawson, a London nurse and Thorogood’s girlfriend who changed her name to avoid publicity.

“For years I was worried about the ending,” Woolley said last year. “There were too many questions left unanswered. But Janet Lawson turned out to be my ace in the hole. From what she told me about what happened that night, I have my ending.”

The director would not reveal whether that ending reveals the death to be murder or manslaughter.

His film chronicles the relationship between the rock star and East End builder Thorogood, who was hired to renovate his home and became drawn into his debauched world.

One theory is that the pair rowed over money and Thorogood pushed Jones under the water in a fit of anger.

Thorogood died in 1993 and reportedly confessed to the killing on his deathbed, saying: “It was me that did Brian. I just finally snapped.”

Jones is played in the film by 26-year-old actor Leo Gregory, while Paddy Considine plays Thorogood.

Gregory said: “I didn’t know much about Brian but when I read the script I fell in love with it. When I got the part I read all the books about him and immersed myself in everything Brian. I had a short time to cram in everything about his life, his personality and his music.

“Playing such a multi-faceted guy as Brian is an actor’s dream.”

Woolley auditioned dozens of actors to play the Stones, even looking at Mick Jagger impersonators.

He said: “We wanted people that vaguely looked the same and I did look at a couple of lookalike Mick Jaggers, but it was preposterous.

“A younger audience seeing this film don’t know what the Rolling Stones looked like in the Sixties so it was more important to get good actors and good performances.”

Janet Lawson will be played in the film by Amelia Warner, the 22-year-old former wife of Colin Farrell.

The film also features David Morrissey as the Stones’ road manager Tom Keylock, Tuva Novotny as Anna Wohlin and Monet Mazur as Jones’s former girlfriend Anita Pallenberg.

Little Britain star David Walliams plays the band’s accountant.

The film is set for release in the New Year.

May 13th, 2005 02:02 PM
stewed & Keefed Producer gets 'Stoned' with Jones pic
Featured Player: Stephen Woolley

By ARCHIE THOMAS

LONDON -- Despite notable amount of success over his 22-year career as a producer, Stephen Woolley has always been a self-styled outsider. So when his directorial debut "Stoned," about the life and death of Rolling Stones' guitar player Brian Jones, was turned down by the Cannes fest, he didn't even break stride.
Woolley will unveil "Stoned" in the Cannes market with a splashy premiere and party. There's something about bowing outside the official fest that suits the renegade spirit of the man who put together Oscar winner "The Crying Game" (another Cannes reject) and founded the hip shingleshingle Palace with Nik Powell in the 1980s.

Woolley, 47, still sports his trademark long hair. He swings between being a powerful insider and a self-proclaimed outsider -- he is both a commercially successful producer ("Interview With the Vampire") and a cinema purist unwilling to sacrifice commercially difficult material he believes passionately in.

As a working-class lad growing up on a housing estate in north London in the '60s, Woolley knew he was in the minority in his love for uncompromising arthouse cinema, and he knew he had to like either the Rolling Stones or the Beatles to fit in.

He plumped for the Stones, admiring the "more daring, anti-establishment" image they projected. Woolley now considers that image something of a myth: "Although the Beatles had the clean-cut image, they were, in fact, working-class kids, whereas the Stones were art school kids. That idea of deceit fascinated me. That's why I made 'Backbeat' (the story of Stuart Sutcliffe, the fifth Beatle) -- to burst that myth."

Defying expectations has been a recurring theme of Woolley's producing career, which begun when, at 16, he landed a job as an usher at the Screen on the Green cinema. That introduced him to quirky indies like "Evil Dead," and he soon started buying up U.K. video rights to such pics.

His long relationship with Neil JordanNeil Jordan, starting with the helmer's second film, "The Company of Wolves," and continuing through his upcoming "Breakfast on Pluto," has been the backbone of Woolley's career. But his other projects, from the ambitious musical "Absolute Beginners" to Shane Meadow's debut "twentyfourseven," have been distinctive choices.

After producing and distributing for two decades, Woolley now is making his directing bowbow with the $10 million "Stoned."

As a producer, Woolley has consistently developed projects that reinterpret historical events from the point of view of the plucky protagonist long since consigned to the scrap heap of history. "Scandal" was a sympathetic portrayal of Dr. Stephen Ward, the scapegoat for the Profumo vice girl affair, which toppled Macmillan's Tory government. Jordan's "Michael Collins" brought the life and death of the Irish independence leader to a wider audience.

Woolley acknowledges that stories that reopen the history books "appeal to the subversive side to my nature."

"Stoned" does not shy away from controversy. The pic tells the story of the hedonistic life and controversial death of Stones co-founder Brian Jones, played by Leo Gregory. The film's claim that Jones' live-in builder Frank Thoroughgood (Paddy Considine) drowned Jones reportedly came close to having the police reopen the 1969 case.

Typical of Woolley's contrarian brand of filmmaking, "Stoned" is not a joyous celebration of Swinging '60s London, but a film he describes as "about the upside and downside of hedonism. It is the visual equivalent of listening to the White Stripes" -- more "Performance" than "Austin Powers."

Woolley's transition to helmer only occurred when scribes Robert WadeRobert Wade and Neil Purvis implored him to direct "Stoned" himself when it looked like it might not get made unless he took the helmhelm.

After producing more than 40 pics, the switch to behind the cameras proved less tortuous than Woolley feared. Although he concedes that cutting scenes in post-production felt equivalent to "cutting the fingers of his baby," Woolley was able to fall back on the support of good friend and producer Finola Dwyer ("Backbeat"), whose career he helped launch, as well as pic's d.p.d.p. John Mathieson.

Woolley knows the youth vote is key to the success of "Stoned," and the marketing campaign will be aimed at young auds unfamiliar with the Stones' early sound. Hot young acts including the White Stripes, Kula Shaker, the Bees and the 22-20s figure alongside '60s outfits the Small Faces and Traffic on the soundtrack.

However, the Rolling Stones themselves do not appear on the soundtrack. Although Woolley sees no reason they should object to his pic, he is adamant that "this is not the Mick and Keith story." It is about the artist who became an outsider and was left behind by history.

May 13th, 2005 02:14 PM
J.J.Flash Thanks for the info Stewed. Still haven't read the whole thing, but I have noticed that line saying that the Stones themselves are not part of the soundtrack.....how silly....how...how is it possible for goodness sake

I wonder if this movie will be presented worldwide, since it not a north american production.
May 13th, 2005 07:35 PM
Back Street Girl http://www.intandemfilms.com/movies/brian_jones.htm
May 13th, 2005 07:53 PM
Monkey Woman
quote:
J.J.Flash wrote:
Thanks for the info Stewed. Still haven't read the whole thing, but I have noticed that line saying that the Stones themselves are not part of the soundtrack.....how silly....how...how is it possible for goodness sake

The Stones are not in the soundtrack because Mick and Keith refused to let their songs be used in the movie. Or so that's what transpired earlier during the production of the movie. I would guess that they are not thrilled about a story about Brian being murdered! So much for the Stones "supporting" the film... Woolley is dreaming aloud -- or reading too much in the "good luck" message. (If Mick actually sent a message, I'd read it more as a "Good luck, you're on your own, even if I'm too diplomatic to tell you publicly to fuck off.") He's using every tool in his reach to promote the film, of course, and the Stones are a powerful icon, so he's saying they support the film when they simply tolerate what they can't prevent. But when he says : "I didn’t want to embroil myself with the corporate machine that the Stones have become", read: I don't want to have the Stones' attorneys on my back!
May 13th, 2005 11:37 PM
Soldatti Thanks for the update Stewed.
May 14th, 2005 01:44 AM
GhostofBrianJones Check out Getty Images for pictures of the actors/actresses in the
film Stoned and more pictures of the early Stones and present
Stones.
May 14th, 2005 02:11 AM
MrPleasant
quote:
Monkey Woman wrote:The Stones are not in the soundtrack because Mick and Keith refused to let their songs be used in the movie. Or so that's what transpired earlier during the production of the movie.

Doesn't the ABKCO ("Allen and Betty Klein Company", sic) own the rights of the Brian-related catalogue?
May 14th, 2005 06:05 AM
stewed & Keefed Some Still's From Stoned

[Edited by stewed & Keefed]
May 14th, 2005 09:12 AM
GhostofBrianJones WOW! Those are great pictures! Even though he does not really
resemble Brian, he does a good job it seems like of playing him.
Not trying to be weird here, but I did not know that style of panties
for women were available for women back in the 1960's! Course
that was in Europe. He sure was a great dresser, I will add to
that. Monet Mazur sure makes a very beautiful Anita if I may so
myself. There is an ad for the movie on E-Bay in case a person
wants to check it out. It is for sale. If ya go on Getty Images you
will find pics of the actors and actresses from the movie and other
stuff on Brian and whatever. I forget who I tell so sorry if I repeat
myself. Thanks so much again Senor S&K!
May 15th, 2005 12:49 PM
stewed & Keefed Curtains go up on Jones’ murder

Louise Jury in Cannes
May 14. — Explosive new evidence has convinced the director of a new film about Brian Jones, the founder of the Rolling Stones, that the guitarist was killed and was not the victim of an accidental drowning.
Stephen Woolley, whose previous work as a producer includes The Crying Game, Scandal and Backbeat, about the fifth Beatle Stuart Sutcliffe, has spent the last 10 years developing his latest movie, called Stoned, based on three books including The Murder of Brian Jones.
But he told yesterday how he hired a private investigator to try to get his own independent evidence before he went ahead with the movie which will be shown to international buyers at the Cannes Film Festival today.
The investigator traced a fourth person who was there on the night of the death in July 1969, but was never interviewed by detectives.
Woolley refused to name her although it is understood she is Janet Lawson, a nurse, who she wants no publicity in connection with the film. However, Woolley described her as “key to the movie”.
Jones founded the Rolling Stones in 1962 inspired by American rhythm and blues. But his influence proved short-lived as his growing dependence on drugs meant he failed to turn up for music sessions. He became volatile and was kicked out of the band not long before he was found dead in the swimming pool of his home in East Sussex. Shortly after, the rest of the Rolling Stones undertook the tour of America that secured them international fame and turned them into the giant stadium rock band of the 1970s.
The film, details of which were being kept under wrap until today, is understood to suggest that Frank Thorogood, Jones’s live-in builder, contributed to Jones’s death in the swimming pool but that he might have snapped as a consequence of Jones’s increasingly erratic behaviour towards the people around him. The question was whether it was murder or whether his involvement was accidental and therefore manslaughter, Woolley said. The Independent
May 15th, 2005 12:58 PM
stewed & Keefed

May 15th, 2005 03:30 PM
brianjones27 those are awesome pictures. But does it ever show him on stage with the Stones? or is it just around the time of the murder and such. Any info on when this will be shown in theaters or on TV?
May 16th, 2005 04:04 PM
Surround Sister From Breakingnews (contactmusic.com)

Legendary rockers THE ROLLING STONES have given a movie director their blessing to shoot a biopic of their late guitarist BRIAN JONES.

Filmmaker STEPHEN WOOLLEY says he's received messages of support from SIR MICK JAGGER and KEITH RICHARDS, both of whom back his decision to make the film, STONED.

Jones was found dead in his swimming pool at his house in Sussex, England, in July 1969 from what was said to be a drink and drugs overdose.

Speaking at the CANNES FILM FESTIVAL in France, Woolley said, "From what I have heard, they (the Stones) have no problem with the film or what we are about.

"But I deliberately did not involve them because I did not want it to be a film about The Rolling Stones."

Conspiracy theorists have often declared Jones' death wasn't an accident, and Woolley now claims to have found a fourth anonymous witness whose evidence he believes is so strong he may yet pass on her testimony to the police.
May 16th, 2005 06:56 PM
GhostofBrianJones Everytime I go to anything about the Cannes Film Festival
in France 2005 there is nothing about this movie?! Maybe I am
going to the wrong site or something! Boy that Leo Gregory sure
is a real hottie! Oh well.

Yes Brian Jones was murdered. Frank Thorogood had a hand in
it as well as others to be definitely sure. Brian was starting to get
well and healthy when this psychotic, idiotic, raging alcoholic
volatile gangsta construction worker and his gang of merry demons decide to get ripping butt drunk and take all their jealousy,
anger, resentment and crap out on Brian. If you are mad when you
start drinking it can bring out all this rage in you when you start
really drinking. If you are happy it is supposed to make you act
silly. This what I have learned from others. Maybe so maybe not.
But if Stephen Woolley can finally bring out the real and honest
truth then God bless him forever.

Keep up the beautiful pictures S&K!! We need you very much!!
May 16th, 2005 07:04 PM
Madafaka Thank you very much for the pix, there are fantastic!
[Edited by Madafaka]
May 16th, 2005 08:24 PM
corgi37 Actually looks ok. The pics seem to show a certain authenticity for the period.

I just wish some prick would make a movie on the Stones. Of course, it would be the longest movie of all time, but i'd see it.
May 17th, 2005 12:58 PM
stewed & Keefed
May 18th, 2005 07:23 PM
Blackcloakcat Dear Stewed & Keef, Just to thank you for the great movie pix. Does anyone have any fotos of the girl playing Suki? That I'd love to see! Black cat cloak
May 21st, 2005 09:12 AM
Back Street Girl
May 21st, 2005 01:59 PM
GhostofBrianJones WOW spectular pictures!! WOWEE!
By the way, referring to the last picture, is that Monet Mazur Leo
is kissing? If his nose was a little smaller, he would really look
like BJ from the side?! Oh well.

Thanks for the beautiful pictures, if you have any more like those
PLEASE POST!? I sure would like to see the next shot(s) Hee
Hee Hee like what she does with the belt on his slacks!!

Keep up the Fantastic work and great pictures!

I wonder how old Leo Gregory is and do you know anything about
him personally? Like did any media or articles ever say anything
about his life or whatever? Thanks again.
May 21st, 2005 07:13 PM
BrotherM i been with the stones since day one its like they are family my dear demented cousins...Brian jones the center of my fascination/inspiration in those early years...he was/is a musical/cultural pioneer...i never met him or the others personally and dont give fuckall what they are like i dig the music same way when i look at a Van Gogh painting i dig the painting & dont give a hoot wether i like him personally or not whether he picked his nose fucked Xploding frogs had a bad disposition or what The friggin painting The music gets me off brings flames to the wood...i look forward to seeing the Brian Jones flick but yeah i think its rediculous without the soundtrack of the times...how can they pull that off...wether its The Stones or Allen Klein puttin the Kabash on the filmaker using any of the Stones Music it is a big FUCK YOU!!!!!! Have a nice day we give our blessings... yeah Right!!!?
May 21st, 2005 08:57 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Some more pix posted before in another thread

and last news

"CANNES ROCKS!...Sure To Be The Biggest Stir...STONED" [20050510]

"CANNES ROCKS!...Sure To Be The Biggest Stir...STONED" EMPIRE MAGAZINE, June 2005

Intandem Films are very excited to be taking STONED to the Cannes Film Festival for its premiere market screening, which is hotly anticipated amongst buyers and press alike. The film has become a “MUST SEE” generating high levels of interest from the industry and the public.

More news

May 21st, 2005 09:05 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl This article posted by S&K before

May 21st, 2005 09:09 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl More pix posted by Moy before

May 22nd, 2005 01:46 AM
gypsy
quote:
VoodooChileInWOnderl wrote:
This article posted by S&K before

"Anne" Wohlin? Eh. Typos are a big no-no. Also, the film is not being screened at Cannes this year.
May 23rd, 2005 12:50 PM
stewed & Keefed BRIAN JONES MOVIE NOT BEING SCREENED AT THE CANNES FILM FESTIVAL

"JAMES D. WHITE, who plays Charlie Watts in the forthcoming Brian Jones film "The Wild & Wycked World of Brian Jones", has informed BJFCC (28/04/05) that the film is not now to be screened to the public at the Cannes Film Festival in May. The film will only be seen by agents & distributors and not even the Director gets to go to these type of screenings. James has not been given any reasons and is obviously very disappointed (as is our representative from BJFCC, Massimo Bonanno, who was booked to see the film with James).
May 24th, 2005 02:09 PM
stewed & Keefed New front page....new pics

http://www.intandemfilms.com/int_sales/index.htm
May 30th, 2005 06:33 AM
stewed & Keefed 5/18/2005
Cannes 4: The Dampening
Filed under: General, Cannes 2005 — Kieran @ 3:43 pm
7pm GMT. Due to weather, it darkens…

BY JASON ANDERSON

But the market is a good place for catching up with titles that made a splash at other festivals, like Sundance hit Hard Candy (3.5 out of five) — which is distinguished by a great performance by Ellen Page (Mr. Leahy’s daughter on Trailer Park Boys!) as a teenager who devises a particularly grisly revenge on a pedophile photographer — and from Berlin, The Sun (four out of five), Alexander Sokurov’s elliptical and brilliant study of Emperor Hirohito at the close of WWII. And no, I couldn’t make it into the Brian Jones biopic, Stoned, despite much groveling — the judgments among the people who did get in ranged from “amazing” (said one person) and “cheesy” (said two). Mick and Keith, who had nothing to do with the project, were not in attendance.

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)