ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

© 1965 Pierre Fournier
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: primal scream--riot city blues Return to archive
27th May 2006 11:50 AM
hotlicks Beg Steal or Borrow the new primal scream album, it's the best stones album they never released. Kinda of like a cross between the trashy sound of some girls meets the classic sound of exile. Stand out track: Country girl. (Defintely sounds like a stones track, maybe it's stolen from the stone's vaults!)

27th May 2006 06:49 PM
gotdablouse Ah, back to their old copy cat days, eh ?
"Give Out But Don't Give Up" from 94 was good, at least better than VL, which is not saying much, but it was downhill from there.

Lifted from http://www.theprimalscream.com/discography/albums.html

"Riot City Blues (06 June 2006)
CD UK Columbia/Sony
CD JP Columbia/Sony (31 May 2006)
01 - Country Girl
02 - Nitty Gritty
03 - Suicide Sally & Johnny Guitar
04 - When The Bomb Drops
05 - Little Death
06 - The 99th Floor
07 - Boogie Disease (Originally titled 'We're gonna boogie')
08 - Dolls (Sweet Rock n Roll) - Originally titled 'Sweet Rock n Roll'
09 - Hell's Comin' Down
10 - Sometimes I Feel So Lonely
Features Will Seargent (Echo and the Bunnymen) on "When The Bomb Drops", Warren Ellis (Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds) on "hell's Coming Down" and Alison Mosshart (The Kills) does background vocals. "
27th May 2006 07:32 PM
Ihavelotsajam Primal Scream seems to always be very prominently featured every 5 years on Q's Best Albums List.... and absolutely NOWHERE else in any music media outlet ever.

I am gonna try and check them out, the little I heard from Screamadelica long ago didnt strike me as that great, but who knows.
27th May 2006 07:51 PM
gotdablouse Another good point for them, produced by none other than Jimmy Miller, Screamadelica as I think he would have been dead for Rocks.
27th May 2006 10:20 PM
scratched Primal Scream are one of my favourite bands and I truely believe that, in time, they will be perceived as one of the greatest bands of all time.

'Sonic Flower Groove', their debut album is quite pleasant especially 'Velocity Girl' and 'Gentle Tuesday'. This album really sounds like The Byrds.

'Primal Scream' is a Stooges/Stones cock rock album and is mostly awful except for 'I'm Losing More Than I'll Ever Have' which Andrew Weatherall remixed amazingly for the next album...

'Screamadelica' (1991) is an absolute classic but you've gotta have open ears to appreciate the wild, ecstacy inspired eclecticism of the music. Rock 'n' roll, acid house, gospel, country blues, free jazz, psychedeia, dub...its all in there. 'Movin On Up' could be on 'Exile...' while 'Damaged' could be on 'Goats Head Soup'. A '13th Floor Elavators' tune 'Slip Inside This House' done in an acid house style is genious while 'Inner Flight' takes cues from Pet Sounds.

On paper 'Give Out But Don't Give Up' (1994) is a nice idea - The Stones meets The Faces meets Funkadelic meets Gram Parsons. In reality its pretty shit. Really cliched lyrics and a load of uninspired music except for a few tunes - 'Rocks', '(I'm Gonna) Cry Myself Blind', 'Jailbird' etc. It was a bit of a let down after Screamadelica but all is forgiven as the band was absolutely wasted when they recorded it.

'Vanishing Point' (1997) is a masterpiece. The antidote/comedown to Screamadelica. Dub reggae without the reggae with a bit of ambient and garage rock 'n' roll thrown in. The sheer density of the music is amazing. 'Burning Wheel' is like an updated '2000 Light Years...'.

'Exterminator' (2000) is another absolute masterpiece. The angriest, dirtiest, scuzziest record you will ever hear. Just listen to 'Accelerator' - garage rock for the 21st Century. The whole record is Kraftwerk meets MC5 meets Sun Ra. 'Shoot Speed Kill Light' is mesmerising.

'Evil Heat' (2002). I'm not too impressed with this album. I thought they were trying to cash in with the then current trends of Electroclash and retro garage rock that was trendy at the time. Maybe it was the move from Creation Records to Sony that put pressure on them to go commercial. Still, its a consistent album even though you can tell their hearts are not as in it as the last couple of records.

Really looking forward to 'Riot City Blues'. I think the Scream are still gutted that 'Give Out...' is a load of shit and have tried to make amends by revisting the influences of that album and producing something worthwhile. I don't think Bobby can retire in piece without producing at least one great 'rock 'n' roll' record.
[Edited by scratched]
28th May 2006 03:45 AM
hotlicks HE HAS !!!
28th May 2006 05:38 PM
gotdablouse got a "test version"

Well "Country girl" is indeed an unreleased Stones track or almost, some kind of bastard mix between SFM and what it was initally called "Did Everybody pay their dues", Gillespie repeats "What can a poor boy do" several times as well as "pay their dues", these guys must be fans !
28th May 2006 06:56 PM
Scot Rocks The album is fantastic one of my favs so far this year. Country is girl is getting loads of playtime on the radio and clubs.
30th May 2006 08:58 AM
geecee Cracking album , would be album of the year for sure if there wasn't a new Who album on the horizon.
30th May 2006 09:31 AM
FotiniD I love Primal Scream and especially their retro rock / Stones influenced stuff. Nothing wrong with expressing your influences, if you ask me.
30th May 2006 09:35 AM
Some Guy never heard them, may be my next album purchase
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)