ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

© 1965 Pierre Fournier
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Blondie/New Cars Road Rage gig review Return to archive
21st May 2006 11:42 PM
Dan I went to this gig mainly for Blondie but enjoyed the whole thing. This was my third Blondie show, previous ones being "A Taste Of Newport Beach" in 2004 and at the Universal Amphitheatre on the "No Exit" tour in 1999.

There were free tickets all over Citywalk. My prediction about the show being heavily papered turned out to be true. It was a poorly arranged package and way overpriced which is why they had to resort giving away lots of seats. The Gibson Amphitheatre often does this for shows that aren't selling well.

My friend was on Clem's guest list but the band guest list never turned up at will call so I picked us up a few other free ones nearby. Then about 8:00 anyone who claimed to be on the guest list was also given free balcony seats and sent inside the retrieve the "real" tickets and backstage passes. Once inside we were given backstage passes but no other tickets. Fine with me, free beer and free tickets are wonderful things, even if I have to sit in the back.

I finally made it to my seat about 8:13 but had to run right back out to avoid a "Hollywood Bowl" type scandal instead settling for the subtle humiliation of a fade in during the beginning of the first song "Call Me."

Would have rather seen Blondie headline a gig to their own fan base instead of opening/co-headlining with The New Cars. The atmosphere wasn't quite was I used to and even the band was a little sluggish in the beginning as fans were still milling in. Took a few songs to get warmed up but the show picking up steam after the first few songs. Debbie Harry put on a bit of weight since the last show and was wearing some lime green get up that looked really out of place at a rock n roll gig. Original guitarist Chris Stein looked like a ghost. Drummer Clem Burke did a great job. The other 3 guys were hired hands (Jimmy Destri just retired).

They ran through a lot of hits and threw in a few gems like "Rifle Range," a trippy bastardized version of "In The Flesh" which I found to be an improvement ove the original and a cover of the Ramones "Havana Affair." Its one of the greatest songs of all time and still sends chills up and down my spine no matter who is singing it.

The sound wasn't too good til I moved forward to the front row of the balcony during "Rapture." I didn't think it was quite as good as the 2 previous shows I had seen. Still a good set but didn't quite measure up to the Newport Beach 2004 show.

Here is the setlist. "Heart Of Glass" was rushed through and over in about 3 mins when they usually drag that out a bit longer than necessary. Later on, Clem Burke autographed my ticket!

01. Call Me
02. Dreaming
03. Hanging On The Telephone
04. Accidents Never Happen
05. Atomic
06. Pretty Baby
07. More Than This (Roxy Music cover)
08. Good Boys
09. Maria
10. Tide Is High
11. Picture This
12. Rifle Range
13. In The Flesh
14. Rapture
15. One Way Or The Other
-------
16. Havana Affair (Ramones cover)
17. Heart Of Glass

I had planned to check out a few songs before heading backstage for the free beer but ended up staying inside for every last note. They really breathed a lot of life into songs that were previously boring played out radio cliches. I was surprised I liked it so much, maybe even better than Blondie. Then again I was in the balcony for Blondie and found an empty seat up close for the New Cars so the sound was much improved.

01. Hello Again
02. Lets Go
03. Shake It Up
04. Best Friend's Girl
05. Candy-O
06. I Saw The Light
07. Dangerous Type
08. Moving In Stereo
09. All Mixed Up
10. Black Maria
11. You Might Think
12. Drive
13. Bang The Drum
14. You're All I've Got
15. Bye Bye Love
16. Not Tonight
-----
17. Just What I Needed
18. Open My Eyes
19. Good Times Roll
22nd May 2006 03:56 AM
UGot2Rollme Thanks for the review. Too bad sales were soft. I saw Blondie a few years back, on the same bill as the Ramones and "shrunken" Heads (Talking Heads minus Dave Byrne. Yeah, Debbie's not a hottie anymore, but still has the pipes.

Great to see the new Cars play Move in Stereo / All Mixed Up.

Cheers
22nd May 2006 05:08 AM
lotsajizz
quote:
UGot2Rollme wrote:

Great to see the new Cars play Move in Stereo / All Mixed Up.

Cheers

I can't hear 'Living In Stereo' without seeing Phoebe Cates tits!

22nd May 2006 01:47 PM
Trey Krimsin
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:

I can't hear 'Living In Stereo' without seeing Phoebe Cates tits!

Who can't?
22nd May 2006 01:49 PM
Dan
quote:
Trey Krimsin wrote:

Who can't?

Well....I have seen that movie dozens of time and remember her tits vividly and I had no idea any song was playing.
28th May 2006 10:57 PM
Gimme Shelter Saw this tour last night at the Konocti Amphitheatre and actually got to ride in the van with Deborah Harry to the show. Her hotel room was right above my wife and I.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)