ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Olympiahalle, Munich 4th June 2003
Thanks Sue!
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Memo from Turner a Stones song? Return to archive
05-25-03 05:32 AM
Kjell Is great song M f T recorded by The Stones or a Mick Jagger solo with stones English friends?
05-25-03 06:32 AM
crb69 The better version in my opinion is the Mick version with Ry Cooder from the Performance soundtrack - freaky cd I might add. But the Stones did record it for the Metamorphosis album, also found on the Singles collection 3 cd set.

I couldn't help it...
05-25-03 08:48 AM
J.J.Flash So, why this song is on the R.S.V.P. New Version (Revisited)? Of course Memo was taken from the Beggars sessions.
I'm not sure! Anyone more "experienced" on this subject, help.
05-25-03 01:03 PM
Beatle Neil I always favoured the version from the singles collection 3cd set which I most definitely regard as a Stones track - No-one else is playing on it so it sure as hell doesn't sound like anyone else.
The same sentiments I had towards the 2 Beatles 're-union' tracks I might add.
05-25-03 05:58 PM
Kjell The info i got is that Memo from Turner is from Olympic Sounds Studios London March - mid June 1968,meaning Beggars Banquet Sessions. But according to Mick (New Musical Express 7.11.70) no other Stones members where playing. Instead it was recorded with the help of English friends like Stevie Winwood and Jim Capaldi on drums (Philip Norman Rolling Stones p. 249). Mainly because Keith was pissed about Anita Pallenberg fuckin around. This is the version on "Metamorphosis", this album is just a compilation with recordings between 1966-69, meaning the song was never recorded for that album but the movie "Performance".
Also on boots like "Unsearchable stars, Trident Demos and some more i reckon.
But it sound very much like Stones, so it might aswell be Stones with overdubs.
Again according to Mick (as above) the recording (UK version) was flown to USA, and a new recording was made
with American session musicians like Ry Cooder. This would be the US version with added piano & organ, but nothing
remaining but the vocals from UK version. This one is on the Soundtrack "Performance", "Collectors Only" and Micks solo 7" single "Memo from Turner/Natural Magic", Dec 1970.

And it's a bugger that my record player is not working right now, because i only got the vinyls, so i can't have a listen to the other albums this song is on.
So Stones or not might be a million dollar question.
05-25-03 08:01 PM
exile Its an excellent song always been one of my favourites
I did not know it was from the Beggars Sessions
I thought keith played on it but when the movie came out Mick desided to release it as a solo effort.
05-25-03 08:05 PM
Brown Sugar There was a "funk" version out there some time ago...I got it from Kazaa. Does anybody know that?
[Edited by Brown Sugar]

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST
Licks World Tour 2002 - 2003