ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Columbia Airport 1994
© Mark Seliger

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: why is the IMAX sound so WEIRD? Return to archive
May 25th, 2004 04:28 PM
Saint Sway I decided to watch the Stones IMAX DVD last night. I loved this in the theater - thought the sound and visuals were phenomenal

but on the DVD the sound IS SO SCREWY!!

for one its not properly psynched - so Keith looks and sounds like hes lip synching "Happy" - which we all know aint the case

but whats most bothersome is how the sounds of certain instruments just suddenly louder when the camera pans onto the musician - while the rest of the sound just pans out. Its so annoying! Suddenly the sound is randomly pumped on Ronnie bending a string or on the horn section and meanwhile everything else is muted down.

has anyone else noticed this? Or am I out of my head?
May 25th, 2004 04:32 PM
Joey
" Has anyone else noticed this? Or am I out of my head? "

May 25th, 2004 04:33 PM
Mikey Its my understanding that some of the songs are indeed, lip-synched.
May 25th, 2004 04:35 PM
Joey
quote:
Mikey wrote:
Its my understanding that some of the songs are indeed, lip-synched.

May 25th, 2004 04:58 PM
ThatsWhatISay The IMAX DVD sounds as if the concerts took place in my living room. Absolutely powerless sound for a stadium concert and filmed way too close for my taste. I guess it looked and sounded great when played in an IMAX cinema, but at home it sucks bad, just a few highlights.
May 25th, 2004 05:03 PM
Joey
quote:
ThatsWhatISay wrote:
The IMAX DVD sounds as if the concerts took place in my living room. Absolutely powerless sound for a stadium concert and filmed way too close for my taste. I guess it looked and sounded great when played in an IMAX cinema, but at home it sucks bad, just a few highlights.

Sassy !

May 25th, 2004 05:08 PM
Saint Sway the sound is just so sporadic

its weak, bleak and annoying

I wish they had mixed it properly. Visually its pretty cool. But the sporadic quality of the sound makes it unbearable to sit thru
May 25th, 2004 06:50 PM
souldoggie I was fortunate enough to be inside the stage, off to the side, at Wembley on August 23, 1990. And it was that night that I watched the Stones re-shoot a number of songs. At one point, they blared 2000 Light Years through the sound system while filming close-ups of Jagger doing some of those weird slow dance moves he did during that song on that tour.

And I'll never forget how they put Keith in that red shirt and squirted it with mist from a water bottle to fake the sweat that was on the shirt, from when he was filmed playing Happy live before an audience. So, yes, there are parts of Happy that are staged, and were filmed that night, August 23, before a dark and completely empty Wembley stadium. Basically the close-ups of Keith.
May 25th, 2004 09:35 PM
Phog There's a "making of" video where you can see what Souldoggie is describing above. At The Max is a gigantic rock video, but still pretty damn cool. I think that most of the audio comes from a show in Germany. Seems like I remember reading that in Beggars Banquet.......
May 26th, 2004 01:46 AM
IanBillen
I seen At the Max only once. But it was on the I-Max screen at Cedar Point amusement park. It was so cool. In the middle of the park they had this super big sized tarp with the Stones on it in that famous shot from Steel Wheels where they are all waving and Charlie in in the middle and has a Guitar in his hand. It was a statement just to see that tarp in the middle of the park like that. The film was good indeed.
Ian
May 26th, 2004 05:07 AM
FotiniD
quote:
souldoggie wrote:
And I'll never forget how they put Keith in that red shirt and squirted it with mist from a water bottle to fake the sweat that was on the shirt, from when he was filmed playing Happy live before an audience. So, yes, there are parts of Happy that are staged, and were filmed that night, August 23, before a dark and completely empty Wembley stadium. Basically the close-ups of Keith.

My God, why do they even bother? One thing I'll never understand about the music industry is why the heck they think that fans and spectators would actually prefer something staged than the real thing. I wanna listen to the mistakes, I wanna see the real thing going on, I don't need no re-takes and fake sweat - eeeeewww!!! How stupid of a thought is that?!

They don't call it a "live" performance for nothing!! Let's boycott lip-synching please
May 26th, 2004 10:26 AM
Angiegirl
quote:
FotiniD wrote:
Let's boycott lip-synching please

Yeah, let's boycot Britney!!
May 26th, 2004 01:53 PM
voodoopug
quote:
Angiegirl wrote:

Yeah, let's boycot Britney!!

until she poses for playboy!!!