ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Columbia Airport 1994
© Mark Seliger

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: "Kill Your Idols" book trashes "Exile" Return to archive Page: 1 2
May 24th, 2004 04:39 PM
Mel Belli In forthcoming issue of Harp magazine: "Keith Moerer shreds The Rolling Stones' Exile on Main Street in an excerpt from the book Kill Your Idols—a new anthology of classic rock albums, deconstructed and dismissed by prominent music critics."
May 24th, 2004 04:40 PM
Bloozehound bastards!
May 24th, 2004 04:53 PM
Monkey Woman Well, the title "Kill your idols" alone was a warning...
Another cheap shot. Trash a classic and you'll might sell a lot of books. Scandal as a marketing tool...
May 24th, 2004 04:55 PM
Nasty Habits I dunno, guys. Sounds good to me . . .

http://www.jimdero.com/idols.htm

"Let's rush out now to the wheel and the plow, and the sun is going down upon the sacred cow."

The birthday boy

May 24th, 2004 04:55 PM
Lazy Bones Exile was trashed (by some) when it came out and people still trash it today. Some people were just brought up wrong!

Ironic , too, as I was just listening to Wingless Angels...
May 24th, 2004 07:41 PM
ChrisEditor Arrgh...I hate DeRegotis...I saw him at Starbucks the other day and wanted to tell him as much but he had his family with him so I didn't think it appropriate.
May 24th, 2004 08:08 PM
mac_daddy well I can see why alot of people do'nt dig it. It is one of my all-time faves, but it ain't the most accessible piece of work the boys have done...

I am interested in the book, too. I don't know how exile fits his theme, though. To my way of thinking - the beatles, wham!, and brittany spears would serve as far better examples for what it is I think that he is trying to say...

I guess we'll just have to wait and see...

_____

warning: OT

quote:
Lazy Bones wrote:

Ironic , too, as I was just listening to Wingless Angels...

the newer one, or the old boot. I just adore the (newer) one Keith did - that style of drummin' is the sh*t. I happen to live in the same locale as Ras Michael, who is ome of the pre-eminent nyabinghi(sp) drummers in the world, so luckily I get to hear him on occassion...
May 24th, 2004 09:02 PM
Steel Wheels They trash Exile? Great. Their review has ZERO bearing on my life.

May 24th, 2004 09:47 PM
polksalad69
quote:
ChrisEditor wrote:
Arrgh...I hate DeRegotis...I saw him at Starbucks the other day and wanted to tell him as much but he had his family with him so I didn't think it appropriate.

Sometimes I wonder if he believes what he writes. Just like a certain sports editor in the same paper he writes for. If anything he's entertaining. He is one ugly fat bastard tho...

I remember some Stones special Creem put out back in '81 or '82. They had album reviews for all the lps up until that point. Exile was trashed. Too young to remember Exile when it came out but have read that it was trashed elsewhere too.
May 24th, 2004 09:48 PM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:
I dunno, guys. Sounds good to me . . .

agreed nasty

i've always enjoyed seeing sacred cows get it in the neck - even those cows that i hold sacred -

it never hurts to have your preferences, predilections and prejudices brought in for questioning -ultimately your opinion may not change but at least you've had it tested and this will only strengthen your views/opinions and why you hold them

btw/ i put this post up before reading the link - it's a coincidence my points are echoed in the introduction (for what that's worth)

[Edited by stonedinaustralia]
May 25th, 2004 04:47 AM
Monkey Woman I too read the page Nasty posted, and well, I still think it's just the self-proclaimed "new generation" being nasty (no pun intended ) to their elders just to get some attention.
I can agree with some of the points in the foreword (the overimportance of nostalgia in music industry today, the need to shake your idols' pedestals from time to time, if only to prevent them to believe they are gods)... But from what I can see in this website, this guy DeRogatis seems to have a bigger ego than any number of "idols"!
Pretentious references and pseudo-intellectualism, combined with a desperate attempt at self-deprecating humor (which falls short, because to do that you need to really poke fun at yourself, and big egos get in the way...) do not seem very interesting to me. I don't need him to tell me the HoF is a silly business, RollingStone magazine obsessed with hierarchies or that some artists are overrated.

quote:
Thirty-five of the best rock writers of Generations X and Y each weigh in on an album that's universally considered "a classic"—but which they think sucks.

If they think so, good for them. But that's just one person's opinion.

quote:
If we want to be high-minded about it, we can call it a spirited assault on a pantheon that has been foisted upon us, or a defiant rejection of the hegemonic view of rock history espoused by the critics who preceded us. If we want to use the vernacular, let’s just say it’s a loud, angry, but hopefully amusing “Fuck you.”

Well, that says it all, really!
May 25th, 2004 04:50 AM
corgi37 Every time i listen to Exile, which must be in the high hundreds by now, i get something new out of it. Right now, for the past 2 1/2 weeks, since i sat in my garage, pissed and stoned out of my gourd, and played Exile full-tilt, i cannot get "Soul Survivor" out of my head. I just...i love that song. What incredible lyrics! What a top "whiny" vocal! I mean, "its gonna be the death of meeeeee--ieee--aaaahhhgrh, its gonna be the death of me".
By all means, let some jerk wad diss Exile. But lets see some fucker also diss the sacred alternative albums that these black clothes wearing ass-lickers listen to. Let some appreciater of blues-based rock diss some current indie fave, and watch these scum suckers crawl to their keyboards defending their opinion of the reputation of a current flavour of the month. Critics? I fucking hate critics.
May 25th, 2004 04:57 AM
corgi37 Oh, and 1 more thing about these cunts. The loudest critics of bands like the stones and i guess the who, are the same victims of jail rape that accept the free cd's, the free tickets (for them and their pimply assed boyfriends), the free grog and food, then come away and write up a shit review. My case in point??? I have mentioned this before, but i love repeating it.

A programmer of a "indie" radio station here in Melbourne gave a blistering review of the Stones 1 show here in 95. He went fucking off his tree bagging them. He mocked them. He said he walked out after 3-4 songs, and went to a pub to watch some shit indie band. Did he what?? No, he fucking didnt! I know some one who sat behind this weasal the ENTIRE show, and not only did he NOT leave, but he stood the whole time and was singing along and clapping like a kid at a Wiggles show. 9 years ago, and i remember like it was yesterday, i rang the prick to tell him i know he's a wanker. He hung up on me. I even wrote him letters, of course, i got no reply. I sent letters to our "street music" indie rags, but they never got printed. So this sister fucker took the free tickets, had glorious seats (while REAL fans sat up in the never reaches of the MCG), grooved along, probably came twice, probably bought a t-shirt and g-string souvenir, then had the fucking cheek to say "Oh, they are so old, they are lame, i was embarrassed for them, i couldnt stand it anymore i left not long after it began and went to see a real band at the Corner Hotel". Pffft! What a fart sniffer.
May 25th, 2004 05:39 AM
Zack I too find this book intriguing. The fact is, you can trash any piece of art. The telling comment to me in the foreword is that when the compiler asked all the hatchet reviewers to give their personal top 10 albums, none of them wanted to do it. If you are going to skewer the classics, you have to be willing to stick your neck out and say I think this or that IS great. Their reluctance to do it exposes them as hacks.
May 25th, 2004 08:10 AM
Honky Tonk Man This book sounds great to me!

Exile is a masterpiece, the guy is an evil bastard for saying it isn't, but truth is... there are so many albums out there, which are hailed as masterpieces, but in reality are utter wank.

Alex
May 25th, 2004 04:07 PM
Navin
Don't really dig 'Exile' that much - but would not knock it as such, as I don't really like anything before 1975 due to the absence of Ronnie Wood...for me The Stones began in 1975...and my favourite album is 'Dirty Work'
May 25th, 2004 04:14 PM
Mel Belli Navin, I was believin' you, right up until the last line.
May 25th, 2004 04:18 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:

the newer one, or the old boot. I just adore the (newer) one Keith did - that style of drummin' is the sh*t. I happen to live in the same locale as Ras Michael, who is ome of the pre-eminent nyabinghi(sp) drummers in the world, so luckily I get to hear him on occassion...

The older one - VGP-153. Hence, the Exile content.
May 25th, 2004 04:24 PM
Joey " In forthcoming issue of Harp magazine: "Keith Moerer shreds The Rolling Stones' Exile on Main Street in an excerpt from the book Kill Your Idols—a new anthology of classic rock albums, deconstructed and dismissed by prominent music critics."

May 25th, 2004 05:34 PM
doo doo doo Dude I'm all for the concept of dissing a lot of those over-rated and outdated albums (see Sgt. Pepper), but Exile on Main St is far from overrated. It's like kryptonite, an untouchable timeless masterwork that'll outlive us all. This guy can tear at it all he wants but it's futile. You can't fuck with perfection.
May 25th, 2004 05:42 PM
glencar Mick never liked "Exile" all that much himself.
May 25th, 2004 05:56 PM
Sir Stonesalot There is only one music critic that you should pay attention to....yourself.
May 25th, 2004 07:15 PM
Navin
Mel Belli, 'Dirty Work' was the first album of The Stones that I ever bought and was blown away by the hard rockin' assault...and was dissapointed with the lack of the same intensity in the other albums made before and after - a few singles and albums come close - 'Voodoo Lounge' 'Undercover' "Bitch" and some more.
May 25th, 2004 08:22 PM
corgi37 Maybe Bon Jovi would be more to your liking?
May 26th, 2004 11:56 AM
Nasty Habits
quote:
Navin wrote:

My favourite album is 'Dirty Work'

You make Nasty smile.
May 26th, 2004 12:27 PM
jb I hate to see the legacy further tarnished...
May 26th, 2004 12:31 PM
Nasty Habits No worries, Li'l JB. The mean nasty bad book with the mean things to say about Exile will be out of print in three years and Exile will still be selling its embarassingly and outrageously low number of copies per year and all will be right with the world . . .

May 26th, 2004 12:34 PM
jb
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:
No worries, Li'l JB. The mean nasty bad book with the mean things to say about Exile will be out of print in three years and Exile will still be selling its embarassingly and outrageously low number of copies per year and all will be right with the world . . .

Funny stuff Nasty....the sales of this album , however, are stunningly low....
May 26th, 2004 12:46 PM
Joey
quote:
jb wrote:

Funny stuff Nasty....the sales of this album , however, are stunningly low....

Thanks Josh !
May 26th, 2004 05:39 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
corgi37 wrote:

But lets see some fucker also diss the sacred alternative albums that these black clothes wearing ass-lickers listen to. Let some appreciater of blues-based rock diss some current indie fave, and watch these scum suckers crawl to their keyboards defending their opinion of the reputation of a current flavour of the month. Critics? I fucking hate critics.

Just take a look at the table of contents - a number of crappy post 90s mope rockers get their apparently due flogging as well.

You'll give yourself a rupture. Take a deep breath.

Page: 1 2