ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Columbia Airport 1994
© Mark Seliger

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Keith - Don't drop the atomic bomb Return to archive
May 24th, 2004 01:13 PM
albert Hi all,

I'm just listening to a bootleg song of Keith Richards called: Oh Lord, don't let them drop the atomic bomb on me.

It's totally new for me. Can anybody tell me the story behind this very surprising Keith song?
(who are the fellow musicians, what year and where was it recorded etc. etc.??)

After listening to it a few times I really start to like this bluesy jazz/jazzy blues tune very much!

thanx + gr,
Albert
Holland
May 24th, 2004 01:20 PM
Saint Sway isnt that a Charles Mingus tune?
May 24th, 2004 01:27 PM
Bloozehound I believe keith did it for a tribute to Mingus album.

May 24th, 2004 02:27 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
isnt that a Charles Mingus tune?

It is.
May 24th, 2004 02:29 PM
glencar Crazy good version by Keith!
May 24th, 2004 02:56 PM
albert Can someone tell me who Charles MIngus is?
Did Keith played/sung this song on one of his albums?

thanx,
Albert
Holland
May 24th, 2004 03:00 PM
snarf999 See http://www.nzentgraf.de/books/tcw/works1.htm
15th June 1990: VARIOUS ARTISTS. Madrid, Spain, J.D. Studios. Producer: Hal Willner. Recordings for an upcoming Tribute to Charles Mingus-album, incl.
- Tonight At Noon (Charles Mingus) -Weird Nightmare-version
- Oh Lord, Don’t Let Them Drop That Atomic Bomb On Me I (Charles Mingus) - KR on vocals and guitar, Bobby Keys on sax, Chuck Leavell on piano, Bernard Fowler on vocals; rehearsal version
- Oh Lord, Don’t Let Them Drop That Atomic Bomb On Me II (Charles Mingus) - KR on vocals and guitar, Bobby Keys on sax, Chuck Leavell on piano, Bernard Fowler on vocals; Weird Nightmare-version Line-up: CW (dr)/Greg Cohen (bass)/The Uptown Horns (brass)
May 24th, 2004 03:03 PM
albert thanx for all the help!!

this is something I find with google:

OK, first of all, Ive been a bassist for about 35 years now, and to acknowledge Mingus as the absolute apothesis of bass players is (say it with me, now: DUH!) a moot point. And now, heres some of his stuff produced by Hal Willner, a gentleman Id GREATLY enjoy sharing an..."illegal substance" with. And if THAT aint enough, Willners able to incorporate some of the noted eccentric American composer, Harry Partchs own homemade instuments on all of the material presented. And the list of guest artists is absolutely astounding. Dig: some of New Yorks finest "advant-garde" (sp?) musicians like Bill Frisell, Gary Lucas, and bassist extraordinare, Greg Cohen musicians provide most of the music. The "cameos" are a real hoot, too: the Bands Robbie Roberson recites "Playing Chess With Bobby Fischer;" Elvis Costello sings the title track; and theres this GREAT "jug band" version of Mingus "Open Letter To Duke," featuring the likes of Tony Trischka, Howard Levy, and Bobby Previte; but, for my money, the best two tracks are Chuck Ds rap version of "Gunslinging Bird," and Keith Richards/Charlie Watts/Bobby Keyes jam with the Uptown Horns on "Oh Lord, Dont Let Them Drop That Atomic Bomb On Me." If youre a jazz purist, I can guarantee that youll miss the joke completely and be mightily offended by these "pop" musicians attempting Mingus material. But to the rest of us, "Weird Nightmare" is a GREAT (albeit slightly...twisted) introduction to the phenomenal entity that is Charles Mingus.

gr,
Albert
Holland
May 24th, 2004 04:05 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
albert wrote:
Can someone tell me who Charles MIngus is?
Did Keith played/sung this song on one of his albums?

thanx,
Albert
Holland

Charles Mingus was a bassist/composer who came up playing with bop and prebop musicians like Lionel Hampton and Charlie Parker. After signing to Atlantic records in the 50s, he became one of the premier bandleaders of the 50s and 60s. His music is a cross between Duke Ellington type melody and stuff verging on total free form expressionism. A lot of his best catalog items are rooted firmly in the blues and gospel tradition - unlike a lot of kind of "intellectual" jazz performers, Mingus never forgot the value of a good holler. He led a number of really great bands and had excellent and sympathetic side men, including Eric Dolphy and Rashaan Roland Kirk. "Oh Lord Don't Let Them Drop That Atomic Bomb On Me" is on an album called Oh Yeah where Mingus mainly plays piano and sings. It's a crazy, song oriented tribute to rhythm and blues that rocks like nobody's business, features terrific playing from Kirk and the songs are easily as weird if not weirder than "Don't Drop That Atomic Bomb On Me."
May 24th, 2004 11:18 PM
Steel Wheels This is not a bootleg - Keith recording this in Spain during a break in the Steel Wheels/Urban Jungle tour for Hal Wilner, who released this track on a tribute to Charles Mingus album.

Mingus, besides being one of the best bass players and composers, was heavy into beat poetry and all forms of artistic expression. His musical heroes were Duke Ellington, Charlie Parker, and Louis Armstrong.

For really amazing music, check out the Mingus album, "Mingus, Mingus, Mingus, Mingus." It's right on the money.
May 25th, 2004 09:47 AM
Joey

Thanks So Much Steel Wheels !