ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Columbia Airport 1994
© Mark Seliger

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Sting Concert Review (nsc) Return to archive
May 24th, 2004 07:17 AM
UGot2Rollme So, I was in the audience for one of Sting’s 2 sold out shows in Zurich this past weekend. I’ve seen him several times (including 2 Police shows), and this was probably the last time I’ll bother.
To start, he had picked a warm-up artist who was absolutely appalling. Some blond woman in a long red gown playing hyped-up piano with rambling “intelligent” lyrics – including at least one song in Japanese and an attempted sing-along in Mandarin. .. what a disaster! The crowd responded appropriately with loud whistles (that’s booing over here) that almost drowned her out and led her to an early exit. Very poor judgement, Mr. Sting.

Sting’s first 5 of 6 songs were from his new CD Sacred Love. I like several of the tracks but he ended up playing just about the whole damn thing during the concert – which would have been OK if he had bothered performing more songs from his previous catalogue, but there were very few, and the Police songs he did were pretty much either re-worked into either jazzy schmaltz (Walking on the Moon), or extended nonsense (Roxanne,the “Mount Everest of my set”, which didn’t work well at all as a sing-along). As for ambience, the lighting and screen projections were some of the more well-done/artistic I’ve seen, except for in just about every song there were projected images of sexy women dancing in various stages of undress – got old after awhile and not sure what purpose was …

Anyway, I know Sting’s in the middle of a world tour, so thought I’d offer my views to all interested as fair warning…we also left during his first encore, so he might have finished real strong (but I kind of doubt it).
May 24th, 2004 08:38 AM
Lazy Bones Doesn't surprise me. Only way I'd see Sting is if Andy and Stewart are on the same stage!
May 24th, 2004 10:25 AM
jb Please delete this post ass this ass-wipe shouldn't be even mentioned on a Stones board. He has long hated the Stones and why anyone professing to be a Stones fan would see him, is a question only he/she can answer.
May 24th, 2004 10:28 AM
Lavendar So, was the blonde Annie Lennox??? Reading this makes me want to sell my tickets!!!
May 24th, 2004 10:37 AM
F505 No, it was Jerry Hall.
May 24th, 2004 10:48 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
jb wrote:
Please delete this post ass this ass-wipe shouldn't be even mentioned on a Stones board. He has long hated the Stones and why anyone professing to be a Stones fan would see him, is a question only he/she can answer.

Hmmmmmnnnnn. It would seem to be that JB doesn't like Sting.
May 24th, 2004 10:51 AM
jb Sting made fun of the Stones throughout the 80's...I don't know what his current position on them is, but the fact that his former bandmates never are seen with him speaks voulumes ...
May 24th, 2004 11:40 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
jb wrote:
Sting made fun of the Stones throughout the 80's...

He did??? How dare he!!???? Rip his tongue out with red hot tongs.
May 24th, 2004 11:44 AM
UGot2Rollme jb - at least I'm writing about music on the Stones board, and not derailing things with political stands...

lavendar - the warm-up wasn't anything like Annie Lennox, so you may be "lucky" in the US
May 24th, 2004 11:53 AM
jb
quote:
UGot2Rollme wrote:
jb - at least I'm writing about music on the Stones board, and not derailing things with political stands...

lavendar - the warm-up wasn't anything like Annie Lennox, so you may be "lucky" in the US

I wasn't discussing politics either, although Sting certainly always feels the need to hug a tree or brag about his 8 1/2 sex sessions...
May 24th, 2004 12:02 PM
Gazza If YOU were capable of shagging for that length of time, YOU'D brag about it. Private and modest as I am, I know I bloody would!! I remember that interview, it was in "Q" about ten years ago in a mickey taking discussion with Bob Geldof. It was so obviously a joke and yet the press have droned on and on about it for years as if he meant it.

I saw him in Belfast in 1986 on his first solo tour, when Darryl Jones was his bass player. He was fantastic.(and "Dream of the Blue Turtles" was a terrific album, too). I haven't gone to see him since, as I can take or leave (mostly leave) most of the stuff he's put out after 1986.

hey Josh, no one has rubbished the Stones or their individual members any more down the years than they have themselves. Keith's public ridiculing of Mick especially, plus dont forget Mick's quite obvious attempt to break away from the band in the mid 80's because he thought they were past it and a millstone for him while he was trying to still appear 'cool' to kids less than half his age.
May 24th, 2004 12:22 PM
caro
quote:
Gazza wrote:
hey Josh, no one has rubbished the Stones or their individual members any more down the years than they have themselves. Keith's public ridiculing of Mick especially, plus dont forget Mick's quite obvious attempt to break away from the band in the mid 80's because he thought they were past it and a millstone for him while he was trying to still appear 'cool' to kids less than half his age.

Exactly! That's why, being a loyal Stones fans (and as much as it hurts him) jb has decided to hate Mick & Keith too. I, for one, admire his righteousness.
May 24th, 2004 02:33 PM
doo doo doo Dude Keith on The Police:

"The Police are good old hands; I mean, Andy (Summers)'s from the same era as I am. I thought their reworking of Stand By Me - Every Breath You Take - was a beautiful record. The basic thrust of the song is real Drifters, a classic pop sequence with an extra twist thrown in. And Roxanne was one of our big favorites during the 1978 tour"

- Keith Richards, 1983
May 24th, 2004 02:36 PM
glencar Stink stunk? Whodda thunk it?
May 24th, 2004 02:39 PM
jb
quote:
doo doo doo Dude wrote:
Keith on The Police:

"The Police are good old hands; I mean, Andy (Summers)'s from the same era as I am. I thought their reworking of Stand By Me - Every Breath You Take - was a beautiful record. The basic thrust of the song is real Drifters, a classic pop sequence with an extra twist thrown in. And Roxanne was one of our big favorites during the 1978 tour"

- Keith Richards, 1983

Ask him what he thinks today...
May 24th, 2004 02:58 PM
Bloozehound
quote:
jb wrote:
Please delete this post ass this ass-wipe shouldn't be even mentioned on a Stones board. He has long hated the Stones and why anyone professing to be a Stones fan would see him, is a question only he/she can answer.

LOL!

That was beautiful.

Sting is a very serious man,
serious indeed.
May 24th, 2004 03:24 PM
doo doo doo Dude
quote:
jb wrote:
Ask him what he thinks today...

I bet you're right. Nearly fell asleep when my old lady dragged me to his concert. The Police, IMO, were great until Sting got overly self-absorbed.