ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Columbia Airport 1994
© Mark Seliger

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Keith played in Connecticut on Friday Return to archive
May 23rd, 2004 01:27 PM
caro AP Story from Keno :
(ahem. Two stories stoles from Keno in one day. Hope they don't mind)

Keith Richards Plays Small Gig in Conn.

May 23, 12:57 PM (ET)

By The Associated Press

FAIRFIELD, Conn. (AP) - Blues fans at a small Connecticut club were treated to a surprise performance by Rolling Stones legend Keith Richards.

The guitarist jumped on stage at The BoxCar on Friday night for some off-the-cuff music with 89-year-old David Honeyboy Edwards and Rocky Lawrence.

"That's right, this is my neighborhood, too. At least part of the time," Richards, who owns a home in nearby Weston, told the crowd.

Lawrence, of West Haven, was ecstatic.

"When the three of us were up there, I was having so much fun I forgot there was even an audience there," he said.

Richards signed a Telecaster guitar for the bar's owner, Kevin Kiekel. It is displayed in a case behind the bar.

"Half of my dream has been fulfilled already," Kiekel said. "Now I want to get Eric (Clapton) in here."

----------------------------------------------------------

Here's the story with some more details, from the Connecticut Post this time:

Richards rolls in to Southport club
By SEAN SPILLANE [email protected]

FAIRFIELD

Fans of the blues got more than they bargained for Friday night when they went to see David Honeyboy Edwards play at The BoxCar.

Stopping by to watch the 89-year-old bluesman was none other than Rolling Stones guitarist Keith Richards, who owns a house in Weston.

"We had gotten a phone call that he was coming," said Rocky Lawrence of West Haven, who opened for Edwards by performing a Robert Johnson set. Johnson, who died in 1938, is known as "The King of the Delta Blues."

"Fifteen minutes to a half an hour into my set he walked in the back door and they ushered him into some seats in the corner."

Richards and his friends, including Blondie Chaplin, a member of the Stones' touring band, soaked in the atmosphere at the new club, which opened on Pease Street in early April in the Southport section of Fairfield. About 80 people attended the show.

"We heard back [Saturday] that he [Richards] said the acoustics were great and he loved the room," said Kevin Kiekel, co-owner of The BoxCar with Lou Pagliuco. "With the stone walls and how cozy it is, it's like an old English pub.

"He was obviously having a good time. He wouldn't have gotten up [on stage] if he didn't want to."

Richards' group stayed for both sets by Edwards and at a few minutes past midnight, Richards joined Edwards and Lawrence on stage for a couple of improvised 12-bar blues.

When Richards took his turn at the microphone, he made up lyrics about "the neighborhood," before telling the crowd, "That's right. This is my neighborhood, too.

"At least part of the time," he added with a laugh.

"It was just something off the cuff," Lawrence said. "We were just inventing as we went along. It was just three guys sitting around enjoying each other's company, enjoying playing with each other.

"When the three of us were up there, I was having so much fun I forgot there was even an audience there. It was music in its purest form, just sitting around having fun."

"It was cool. I got to [play] with two living legends in one evening."

For the second number, Richards even gave Lawrence his seat, opting to take a spot on the floor as Lawrence took the lead on the second song.

"Everything was going by so fast and I was kind of surprised," Lawrence said. "He was very accommodating. It was very humbling to have him give up his chair for me. It shows that he's a true gentleman."

According to Lawrence, Richards was very complimentary about his Robert Johnson set and the two might get together in the near future to jam on some of the bluesman's songs.

"We exchanged phone numbers, and we're going to get together, just him and I, and just do some picking," Lawrence said. "He digs what I do. He digs Robert Johnson, as we all know

[the Rolling Stones] recorded [Johnson's] 'Love in Vain' a zillion years ago.

"He said he'd love to learn how to do more [Robert Johnson] and I told him I'd be happy to sit down and show him how to do it. The plan is to call each other sometime after I get back from [a tour of] Mississippi."

Richards signed a Telecaster guitar for Kiekel and it is proudly on display in a case near the bar.

"Half of my dream has been fulfilled already," Kiekel said. "Now I want to get Eric [Clapton] in here."

It isn't the first time Richards has surprised a club full of people in the region. The Rolling Stones played Toad's Place in New Haven on Aug. 12, 1989, before the band's "Steel Wheels" tour, and Richards pops up occasionally at the Georgetown Saloon in Georgetown.

The Rolling Stones last played Connecticut in September 2002 at the Hartford Civic Center. The Stones have hinted at hitting the road again next year.

http://www.connpost.com/Stories/0,1413,96~3750~2167346,00.html
May 23rd, 2004 02:29 PM
stewed & Keefed Thanks Caro
May 23rd, 2004 03:03 PM
Martha What a night that must have been. Glad to hear Keith is out and about having a great time. Wish I'd been one of the 80 in attendance. Sigh........................

Was Stonesdoug there??????????????????????
May 23rd, 2004 03:20 PM
F505
quote:
Martha wrote:
Was Stonesdoug there??????????????????????

And more important: did he tape the show?
May 23rd, 2004 03:29 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Martha wrote:
What a night that must have been. Glad to hear Keith is out and about having a great time.

Yeah. It seems he left the old lady at home. I wonder if he got any extracurricula activity that night.
[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
May 23rd, 2004 03:49 PM
polksalad69
quote:
F505 wrote:

And more important: did he tape the show?

No kidding!!!
May 23rd, 2004 03:49 PM
Blind Dog McGhee That's awesome. Keef and Honeyboy. Yeah that's Honeyboy below.
May 23rd, 2004 04:00 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Here's a bio link and some other stuff.

http://www.shs.starkville.k12.ms.us/mswm/MSWritersAndMusicians/musicians/EdwardsHoneyboy.html#Biography of David Honeyboy Edwards
May 23rd, 2004 04:11 PM
polksalad69 I saw Honeyboy open for Jonny "the great white dope" Lang once. How silly is that?
May 23rd, 2004 04:13 PM
Bloozehound Polk isn't that you in Mcgee's avatar ?
[Edited by Bloozehound]
May 23rd, 2004 04:30 PM
mac_daddy would love to have been at this gig... wow!
May 23rd, 2004 05:23 PM
J.J.Flash
quote:
Blind Dog McGhee wrote:
That's awesome. Keef and Honeyboy. Yeah that's Honeyboy below.

Hey Blind Dog fella, check out your post counter! Wow! I mean, look at the number: 666

[Edited by J.J.Flash]
May 23rd, 2004 05:41 PM
Gazza >Was Stonesdoug there??????????????????????

Doubt it, as Doug lives in Maryland and, like the rest of us, wouldnt have known anything about this appearance in advance.

I doubt very much anyone got a recording of it. Wouldnt have been an obvious show at which we could have expected a "surprise appearance"
May 23rd, 2004 05:51 PM
Bloozehound Damn, I think that if I was at a club and Keef bursted on stage unannounced I would probably faint.

He sure has been making the rounds lately.
May 23rd, 2004 07:45 PM
nankerphelge "He said he'd love to learn how to do more [Robert Johnson] and I told him I'd be happy to sit down and show him how to do it. The plan is to call each other sometime after I get back from [a tour of] Mississippi."

One can only hope that Keith goes into a major blues tail-spin in time for the next release/tour!!

May 23rd, 2004 09:21 PM
Main Offender Now why can't Keith tell us all 5 months in advance when he's gonna do a surprise gig? That would be fair, don't you think?
May 23rd, 2004 09:55 PM
Steel Wheels This is the kind of news that makes me happy. Good ol'Keith kicks the blues jams out with some veteran musicians. He's a true musician - always learning, always looking for ways to improve, and always looking to perform - be it in front of 80,000 or 80.

There's some good energy out there and Keef is making great use of it.

May 23rd, 2004 10:34 PM
M.O.W.A.T.
quote:
Gazza wrote:
>Was Stonesdoug there??????????????????????

Doubt it, as Doug lives in Maryland and, like the rest of us, wouldnt have known anything about this appearance in advance.

I doubt very much anyone got a recording of it. Wouldnt have been an obvious show at which we could have expected a "surprise appearance"

Well, I wouldn't be surprised if Doug did show up -- he did mention at Shidoobee that he "was heading north for the weekend". LOL
May 24th, 2004 09:30 AM
Lazy Bones Richards gives impromptu performance

FAIRFIELD, Conn. (AP) -- Blues fans at a small Connecticut club were treated to a surprise performance by Rolling Stones legend Keith Richards.

The guitarist jumped on stage at The BoxCar on Friday night for some off-the-cuff music with David Honeyboy Edwards, 89, and Rocky Lawrence.

"That's right, this is my neighbourhood, too. At least part of the time," Richards, who owns a home in nearby Weston, told the crowd.

"When the three of us were up there, I was having so much fun I forgot there was even an audience there," he said.

Richards signed a Telecaster guitar for the bar's owner, Kevin Kiekel. It is displayed in a case behind the bar.

"Half of my dream has been fulfilled already," Kiekel said. "Now I want to get Eric (Clapton) in here."
May 24th, 2004 10:09 AM
jb Thanks keno.
May 24th, 2004 10:31 AM
LadyJane I'm seriously considering relocating to Connecticut!!

LJ.
May 24th, 2004 10:53 AM
Martha Well, if no one taped this impromptu moment in time, did anyone get a photograph?

I just figured Stonesdoug gets that special "contact" vibe whenever any of the Stones is out and about then he immediately jumps into his car or plane and goes. LOL

How else did he know so much about what was happening when the Stones were touring? Not to mention he was at every (almost) show of the tour.

May 24th, 2004 10:57 AM
jb Thanks Keno.
May 24th, 2004 10:57 AM
F505
quote:
Martha wrote:
Not to mention he was at every (almost) show of the tour.

That's right Martha, I even saw him in at Vredenburg in Utrecht with, I think, his wife.
May 24th, 2004 10:59 AM
jb Stonedoug is, imo, a truly great person. He has brought joy to thousands of people and has "inside" knowledge he often shares with us.
May 24th, 2004 12:36 PM
polksalad69
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:
Polk isn't that you in Mcgee's avatar ?
[Edited by Bloozehound]

haha, no that's JoeBuck, Hank III's bass player. My photo tho...
May 25th, 2004 05:41 PM
WildBillGrover
quote:
caro wrote:
AP Story from Keno :
(ahem. Two stories stoles from Keno in one day. Hope they don't mind)

Keith Richards Plays Small Gig in Conn.

May 23, 12:57 PM (ET)

By The Associated Press

FAIRFIELD, Conn. (AP) - Blues fans at a small Connecticut club were treated to a surprise performance by Rolling Stones legend Keith Richards.

The guitarist jumped on stage at The BoxCar on Friday night for some off-the-cuff music with 89-year-old David Honeyboy Edwards and Rocky Lawrence.

"That's right, this is my neighborhood, too. At least part of the time," Richards, who owns a home in nearby Weston, told the crowd.

----------------------------------------------------------

Here's the story with some more details, from the Connecticut Post this time:

Richards rolls in to Southport club
By SEAN SPILLANE [email protected]

FAIRFIELD

Fans of the blues got more than they bargained for Friday night when they went to see David Honeyboy Edwards play at The BoxCar.

Stopping by to watch the 89-year-old bluesman was none other than Rolling Stones guitarist Keith Richards, who owns a house in Weston.

"We had gotten a phone call that he was coming," said Rocky Lawrence of West Haven, who opened for Edwards by performing a Robert Johnson set. Johnson, who died in 1938, is known as "The King of the Delta Blues."

"Fifteen minutes to a half an hour into my set he walked in the back door and they ushered him into some seats in the corner."

Richards and his friends, including Blondie Chaplin, a member of the Stones' touring band, soaked in the atmosphere at the new club, which opened on Pease Street in early April in the Southport section of Fairfield. About 80 people attended the show.

"We heard back [Saturday] that he [Richards] said the acoustics were great and he loved the room," said Kevin Kiekel, co-owner of The BoxCar with Lou Pagliuco. "With the stone walls and how cozy it is, it's like an old English pub.

"He was obviously having a good time. He wouldn't have gotten up [on stage] if he didn't want to."

Richards' group stayed for both sets by Edwards and at a few minutes past midnight, Richards joined Edwards and Lawrence on stage for a couple of improvised 12-bar blues.

When Richards took his turn at the microphone, he made up lyrics about "the neighborhood," before telling the crowd, "That's right. This is my neighborhood, too.

"At least part of the time," he added with a laugh.

"It was just something off the cuff," Lawrence said. "We were just inventing as we went along. It was just three guys sitting around enjoying each other's company, enjoying playing with each other.

"When the three of us were up there, I was having so much fun I forgot there was even an audience there. It was music in its purest form, just sitting around having fun."

"It was cool. I got to [play] with two living legends in one evening."

For the second number, Richards even gave Lawrence his seat, opting to take a spot on the floor as Lawrence took the lead on the second song.

"Everything was going by so fast and I was kind of surprised," Lawrence said. "He was very accommodating. It was very humbling to have him give up his chair for me. It shows that he's a true gentleman."

According to Lawrence, Richards was very complimentary about his Robert Johnson set and the two might get together in the near future to jam on some of the bluesman's songs.

"We exchanged phone numbers, and we're going to get together, just him and I, and just do some picking," Lawrence said. "He digs what I do. He digs Robert Johnson, as we all know

[the Rolling Stones] recorded [Johnson's] 'Love in Vain' a zillion years ago.

"He said he'd love to learn how to do more [Robert Johnson] and I told him I'd be happy to sit down and show him how to do it. The plan is to call each other sometime after I get back from [a tour of] Mississippi."

Richards signed a Telecaster guitar for Kiekel and it is proudly on display in a case near the bar.

"Half of my dream has been fulfilled already," Kiekel said. "Now I want to get Eric [Clapton] in here."

It isn't the first time Richards has surprised a club full of people in the region. The Rolling Stones played Toad's Place in New Haven on Aug. 12, 1989, before the band's "Steel Wheels" tour, and Richards pops up occasionally at the Georgetown Saloon in Georgetown.

The Rolling Stones last played Connecticut in September 2002 at the Hartford Civic Center. The Stones have hinted at hitting the road again next year.

http://www.connpost.com/Stories/0,1413,96~3750~2167346,00.html

Cool - thanks!!!