ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Columbia Airport 1994
© Mark Seliger

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: What's up with Keith?!? Return to archive Page: 1 2
May 22nd, 2004 06:55 AM
ThatsWhatISay I was just listening for the first time to the bootleg recording from Prague, Letenska Plan.
Keith messed up the whole opening chord so bad that I could hardly figure out it was Brown Sugar what he was playing. And the same goes for many other boots from the Licks Tour, it was kind of miracle if he didn't mess it up.
So what's up with Keith?! Has he become so nervous that he is unable to do the opening chord properly?! I think it's kind of embarassing.
Pls don't reply like "Don't be deliberately negative for no good reason"...I think this is something to worry about :-(
May 22nd, 2004 08:39 AM
LadyJane Let's see:

The man is 60 years old.

The man has bad arthritis in his hands.

The man takes the stage under the influence of Alcohol and Drugs.

The man is HUMAN.

I think that answers your question.

LJ.
May 22nd, 2004 09:37 AM
NHStonesfan The same reason Larry Bird couldn't
suit up and get 20 points and 10 rebounds
at age 40.

Luckily in music Keith past his prime
is better than no Keith/no Stones
May 22nd, 2004 10:42 AM
ThatsWhatISay Yeah, thats all true, but we know that if Keith has to get it right, like when a show is recorded for a DVD release he never fails. So why can't he always concentrate like this on playing?!

When did he get arthiritis? That's really a big handicap, especially for a guitar player :-(
May 22nd, 2004 10:56 AM
Main Offender
quote:
LadyJane wrote:
Let's see:

The man is 60 years old.

The man has bad arthritis in his hands.

The man takes the stage under the influence of Alcohol and Drugs.

The man is HUMAN.

I think that answers your question.

LJ.

Most of what LJ says is true. But the comment about always being under the influence is possibly not true. Unless LJ is Keith's personal assistant and sees the drug and drink taking first hand. That one comment was not needed.

May 22nd, 2004 11:10 AM
LadyJane LOL...Main Offender...NO ONE...and I mean NO ONE loves Keith more than I do.

I have defended that man since since I was 15 years old and continue to do so today.

NO I am not his Personal Assistant, but let us face the facts. He's faced nearly all the time he's on stage. He's PROUD of it.

I'm not judging him..I'm faced nearly every damn night.

My point was...Keith is human. He has flaws as do we all.

That is what makes him so great!!! He is who he is and doesn't give a fuck about pretense.

LJ.

May 22nd, 2004 11:16 AM
Main Offender He's human for sure. I did not mean to offend you, but I will stand up for Keith until I die. Probably after I die too. I suppose I'm getting tired of hearing this fact repeated so often and I'm possibly in denial. Peace.
May 22nd, 2004 11:18 AM
LadyJane You didn't offend me.

I say, next Tour, you and I be Keith's Personal Assistants.

LJ.
May 22nd, 2004 11:52 AM
Main Offender LJ, you're on. I say we attend the recording sessions together too. Just to keep them on track!
May 22nd, 2004 12:15 PM
Bloozehound Is it confirmed that he has arthritis ?

I've never been able to figure out if this was rumor or fact.
[Edited by Bloozehound]
May 22nd, 2004 12:28 PM
Main Offender Yes Keith has talked about the arthritis openly in magazine articles.Not sure, but it might be the Uncut 60th birthday mag. (????)
May 22nd, 2004 12:30 PM
Taptrick -

Pictures of his huge swollen knucles, slower hand movement, and the fact that he won't play that standard Chuck Berry hammer on riff for more than a few bars anymore - are reasons I tend to believe he has arthritis. I certainly don't know for sure. He still seems to be able to get by and enjoy it though.
May 22nd, 2004 01:01 PM
T&A he also confirmed it on the Matt Lauer/Today interview last year...
May 22nd, 2004 02:22 PM
cwatts0462 well thats why people retire
so if its over its over case closed
May 22nd, 2004 02:38 PM
glencar It's over when the real Charlie says it's over.
May 22nd, 2004 04:15 PM
Main Offender I don't think the arthritis situation will cause Keith to give it all up. There are some good new medications for arthritic patients,my uncle is on one of them and now he golfs again.
May 22nd, 2004 04:22 PM
Gazza >Yeah, thats all true, but we know that if Keith has to get it right, like when a show is recorded for a DVD release he never fails.

uh..one word - overdubbing!!!

As for the arthritis, Keith's had it for several years. Granted, his fingers look a lot worse of late, but the problem has been there for sometime. As far back as at least six or seven years ago, his fingers were so arthritic to the extent that he was no longer able to remove his skull ring.
May 22nd, 2004 05:42 PM
Bloozehound Thanks for the info.

I don't follow the Stones as closely as I used to, hell I haven't even purchased a music magazine in years, but if Keiths admitted to this arthritic condition, then it certainly explains alot things.

There's certainly other things to factor in like age, years of heavy drug abuse ect... but I can't see how having arthritus would in any way be a positive thing to deal with(on top of the other stuff) regarding a creative person who works with their hands, medication or no.

May 22nd, 2004 07:15 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
LadyJane wrote:
My point was...Keith is human.

No say it ain't so. I refuse to believe it.
May 22nd, 2004 11:28 PM
ThatsWhatISay
quote:
Gazza wrote:
uh..one word - overdubbing!!!

I listenened to the bootlegs of the last dvd shows as well and there is no remarkable difference between them. So I think if Keith pulls himself together he's "VERY" able to play well.
May 23rd, 2004 09:40 AM
J.J.Flash
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:

No say it ain't so. I refuse to believe it.

Damn right my brother!! Thanks, you have the same point as mine!

God bless ya!
May 23rd, 2004 12:05 PM
T&A As a very close follower of Keith's playing for 30 years, I can say that I noticed (for the first time) a diminished ability on Keith's part to play certain "figures" on the Licks tour. Routines and figures that used to come naturally to him - were either flubbed or 'diminished' routinely. Can't say whether it's the arthritis (seems logical) or not - but for those who say they heard no difference - you either aren't listening close enough or your don't know what to listen to - it's there, believe me.
May 23rd, 2004 01:06 PM
gotdablouse Sounds interesting, can you share some details? The famous Chuck Berry hammer-on?

The worrying part here is that the man is barely 60, and his fingers look worse than the 90 year old's I've come across...Less than his guitar playing I'm more concerned about his being able to use his hands at all in a few years. His other joints can't be looking too good either?
May 24th, 2004 11:57 AM
padre There's three people that I seriously think will never die:
-Clint Eastwood
-Emmylou Harris
-Keith Richards
They are immortal. Mark my words.
May 24th, 2004 12:21 PM
jb
quote:
T&A wrote:
As a very close follower of Keith's playing for 30 years, I can say that I noticed (for the first time) a diminished ability on Keith's part to play certain "figures" on the Licks tour. Routines and figures that used to come naturally to him - were either flubbed or 'diminished' routinely. Can't say whether it's the arthritis (seems logical) or not - but for those who say they heard no difference - you either aren't listening close enough or your don't know what to listen to - it's there, believe me.

Sad, but true....Ithought it started in 97....
May 24th, 2004 12:33 PM
Gibbons
quote:
gotdablouse wrote:
The worrying part here is that the man is barely 60, and his fingers look worse than the 90 year old's I've come across...

Not just his fingers.
May 24th, 2004 12:38 PM
gimmekeef Oh to be as full of life and still doing what I love at his age would be all I could ask for.Keith does not play at the same level he once did for one reason....he's aged...I for one am so glad we still have him in any form!
May 24th, 2004 12:40 PM
polksalad69 Wonder how Honeyboy Edwards plays at his age? Haven't seen him in a few years but he's scheduled for the Chi-Bluesfest in a few weeks.
May 24th, 2004 12:40 PM
jb
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
Oh to be as full of life and still doing what I love at his age would be all I could ask for.Keith does not play at the same level he once did for one reason....he's aged...I for one am so glad we still have him in any form!

That's true...but let's not cover it up any longer....enough of the sucking...he puts down Jagger, yet he can't hold up his end of the band anymore...
May 24th, 2004 12:42 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
jb wrote:
That's true...but let's not cover it up any longer....enough of the sucking...he puts down Jagger, yet he can't hold up his end of the band anymore...

Oh, bullshit.
Page: 1 2