ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Columbia Airport 1994
© Mark Seliger

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The Who's Opening Night Setlist Return to archive
May 21st, 2004 05:05 AM
MRD8 Here's the setlist from last nights opening show on The Who's U.S. summer tour at the Tweeter Center in Mansfield, Mass.
Who Are You
Baba O'Riley
I Can't Explain
Long Live Rock
Behind Blue Eyes
Punk And The Godfather
Love Reign O'er Me
Eminence Front
You Better You Bet
Real Good Looking Boy
Substitute
Love Ain't For Keeping
Magic Bus
My Generation / The Kids Are Alright / Old Red Wine
Won't Get Fooled Again

Encore

Pinball Wizard
Amazing Journey / Sparks
See Me Feel Me
Listening To You

Some nice changes from the shows they played in London in March...!

May 21st, 2004 05:52 AM
Jumping Jack Any more info on US dates?
May 21st, 2004 06:55 AM
Nellcote From one WHO was there, the WHO hit on most cylinders.
Out of the chute, Townsend appeared with wrap around shades, long white coat for a blistering Who Are You.
I Can't Explain was quick, tight. He came to the mike after it and noted "We love this place. We ended our last tour here, and other than a three song set Wednesday, our tour begins again where it ended last" Delivering on his promise to mix up new songs, they launched into a great Long Live Rock. Other highlights included a crowd quieting Love Reign O'er Me, a crisp Substitute, the great trio suite which included a slow, softly sung The Kids Are Alright, a brief snippet of Old Red Wine with a killer Pete solo. Out of the two new numbers, it did not come off as well as Real Good Looking Boy, which received the full length treatment. Towards the end of Fooled Again, it was apparant that Roger was not happy with several microphone issues which plagued certain numbers, his mike cutting in and out. At the song's end, Townsend introduced the band, thanked everyone for coming, walked away. Daltrey attempted the same, however, his mike failed, which had him leave in anger, with a killer glare towards the soundman, whom had been called out several times during the show.
At the encore, all seemed to be corrected, the band delivering a smoldering Pinball Wizard, Townsend turning up his amps for extended soloing during Amazing Journey/Sparks. The show ended oddly during the last bit of Listening to You, as Townsend looked to end the gig with one last blast, his amps completely shut off, leaving him with a laughing, bewildered look on his face. You felt bad for him to end this way, however, it was quickly laughed off. I would think the soundman is starting his job at Burger King this morning.

Roger & Pete seemed to get along well together all evening. Daltrey is yet one of rock's cornerstone singers, holding all numbers together well, having the ability to make up for past high vocal points during songs with relative ease.
Townsend seemed grandfatherly, slowly walking to the mike, on several occasions. At one point, between numbers, he looked at the floor briefly, slowly walked to the mike, looked into the crowd and said "Thanks", which was a great moment, surely healing for him from his recent difficulties. For the support from the rest of the players, the glue is Zak Starkey, who is just wild enough to keep Townsend happy, with Pete challenging him to bring up the level, and Zak responding. He pounds the kit with a focus and resolve which is terrific. Great to see Rabbit Bundrick in a up front, prominent role. Pino on bass, Pete's brother Simon hold their own, staying in the background for most of the evening.

All in all, rock royalty rolled into the sleepy town of Mansfield last evening, and on every count, The Who showed that they are not ready to sunset, and the future of the band looks promising. Here's hoping Townsend stays focused towards the band, delivers new material which will keep the fire hot. Long Live Rock!

May 21st, 2004 07:11 AM
Gazza great stuff. "Love aint for keeping" and "Eminence front"? aaagh...typing this with my nipples...roll on Birmingham on June 7th.

By the way - Joey - in the papers today, Zak Starkey mentioned that the fact he's playing with Oasis wont affect his commitments with the Who. The understanding is that any dates he's playin with "The Brothers Grim" (eg Glastonbury) are on the understanding that the 'Oo takes preference, so hopefully that might indicate more US shows
May 21st, 2004 08:11 AM
throbby Nellcote! Thank you for the review!
May 21st, 2004 09:27 AM
Gimme Shelter Now I really can't wait see them in Mountainview in August.
May 21st, 2004 10:30 AM
justinkurian I can't believe they pulled out Punk And the Godfather, Long Live Rock, and Love Ain't For Keeping...

Looking forward to seeing 'em this Saturday.
May 21st, 2004 11:21 AM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Yeah, Daltrey's mike issues were awful, especially during "5.15", "Magic Bus", "Won't Get Fooled Again"... heck, during lots of the numbers. He was *screaming* during "5.15", I was close enough to actually hear him trying to scream over Pete's amps!

It was painfully obvious on some numbers that the band just didn't rehearse enough. "Magic Bus" was fan-fucking-tastic, honestly close to Leeds, but they just didn't know how to end it. "Love Ain't For Keeping" and "Eminence Front" were both particularly rough, but luckily "Eminence" was saved by Pete's particularly strong vocal showing.

For the first half of the show they seemed a little listless, then they seemed to hit quite a groove that not even the mistakes could keep them from. "Real Good Looking Boy" is very good live, and the "My Generation/The Kids Are Alright/Old Red Wine" medley was jaw-dropping. At the end of "Old Red Wine", Pete starts up his guitar bit but it's slower than on the record... he brings it down and turns to Zak Starkey, jumps up at him, and they kick off in double-time, and the house goes wild. Pete went *berzerk*.

Full review later, overall a cool show that felt more like a rehearsal for MSG than a proper concert... and it's obvious this is all leading up to Isle Of Wight, which they really want to be fantastic so they can convince folks they're not done yet.

I don't like Pino Pirrandello, and Zak Starkey needs to be A) challenged more - right before the encores Pete jumped back out on stage, sat at the drums and played a little Keith-Moon style and yelled "Soundcheck! Soundcheck!" and Zak really took to that after, laying off the fucking annoying bass kicks he does and concentrating more on those Moon-esque constant fills and B) told to lay off the fucking bass drums. This is The Who, not Johnny Marr and the Healers. The kicks he does are not needed and on the rare occasion when he brought out the double-kicker I winced.

Pino's a fine bass player, he just plays the bass like a bass, which is not conducive to Pete Townshend at all.

Arg, more later, but I had a good time and I get the feeling they're gonna pick up steam.

-tSYX --- Long live rock!
May 21st, 2004 12:27 PM
sirmoonie Thanks Nellcote and Savage for those excellent reviews.
May 21st, 2004 12:40 PM
Nasty Habits Yeah, thanks you guys.

May 21st, 2004 02:55 PM
Sir Stonesalot I saw the Who last time out. It was really good, infinately better than I expected. I'll be giving it a miss this time out though.

I'm sure it would be a good show. I'm sure it's worth every penny. I'm sure I'll be jealous of those who go.

But last time, seeing Pete and Roger at the very end...alone...it was just sooooo sad. I just don't want to leave another Who show feeling so bad.

Pino and Zak are capable musicians. But they simply can't fill the shoes that they are charged with filling. This isn't a slag on them, NO ONE can fill the shoes of Moonie and The Ox.

Thanks for the reviews guys. Good job, and glad you had a good time.
May 21st, 2004 03:05 PM
jb Thanks for the great review guys...hope you all had fun.
May 21st, 2004 06:10 PM
Saint Sway they did a private tune-up for a very small crowd at Carnegie Hall in NYC on wednesday
May 23rd, 2004 07:28 PM
MRD8 Here's The Who's setlist from last night at MSG...quite a few changes from opening night.
I Can't Explain
Substitute
Anyway Anyhow Anywhere
Who Are You
Behind Blue Eyes
Baba O'Riley
The Punk And The Godfather
Love Reign O'er Me
Eminence Front
Drowned (PT solo acoustic)
Naked Eye (PT & RD solo acoustic)
Real Good Looking Boy
You Better You Bet
My Generation /Young Man Blues (part)/ Old Red Wine
Won't Get Fooled Again

Encore 1

Pinball Wizard
Amazing Journey / Sparks
See Me Feel Me
Listening to You

Encore 2

Magic Bus

May 23rd, 2004 10:31 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Shiiiiiit!

God, another bootleg to buy... they charge an arm and a leg for those things!

"Naked Eye" accoustic... and the first time they haven't opened with "Who Are You" in *years*!

How was it? Anyone go?

-tSYX --- But it don't really happen that way at all...
May 23rd, 2004 10:50 PM
Snappy McJack
quote:
TheSavageYoungXyzzy wrote:
Shiiiiiit!

God, another bootleg to buy... they charge an arm and a leg for those things!

"Naked Eye" accoustic... and the first time they haven't opened with "Who Are You" in *years*!

How was it? Anyone go?

-tSYX --- But it don't really happen that way at all...

What do you mean "and the first time they haven't opened with "Who Are You" in *years*!"?

How many "years" are you going by? They opened with "I Can't Explain" the last few tours if I'm not mistaken (I know for sure on the 2002 tour they did).

[Edited by Snappy McJack]
May 24th, 2004 12:25 AM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Really?

Oh... after reading setlists from their most recent shows plus a few from 2002 I'd got in my head that "Who Are You" was the usual opener.

(oops!)

-tSYX --- Dizzy in the head now... feelin' bad...
May 24th, 2004 12:40 AM
Snappy McJack Yeah. Saw 'em on that tour in Detroit and they opened with it.

If you also go to that site that sells their 2002 live recordings, you'll see that "I Can't Explain" opens up most if not all shows.

May 24th, 2004 06:09 AM
Jumping Jack They have been opening with I Can't Explain and Substitute since at least 75. Probably time for a change, LOL!
May 24th, 2004 03:13 PM
Joey
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
From one WHO was there, the WHO hit on most cylinders.
Out of the chute, Townsend appeared with wrap around shades, long white coat for a blistering Who Are You.
I Can't Explain was quick, tight. He came to the mike after it and noted "We love this place. We ended our last tour here, and other than a three song set Wednesday, our tour begins again where it ended last" Delivering on his promise to mix up new songs, they launched into a great Long Live Rock. Other highlights included a crowd quieting Love Reign O'er Me, a crisp Substitute, the great trio suite which included a slow, softly sung The Kids Are Alright, a brief snippet of Old Red Wine with a killer Pete solo. Out of the two new numbers, it did not come off as well as Real Good Looking Boy, which received the full length treatment. Towards the end of Fooled Again, it was apparant that Roger was not happy with several microphone issues which plagued certain numbers, his mike cutting in and out. At the song's end, Townsend introduced the band, thanked everyone for coming, walked away. Daltrey attempted the same, however, his mike failed, which had him leave in anger, with a killer glare towards the soundman, whom had been called out several times during the show.
At the encore, all seemed to be corrected, the band delivering a smoldering Pinball Wizard, Townsend turning up his amps for extended soloing during Amazing Journey/Sparks. The show ended oddly during the last bit of Listening to You, as Townsend looked to end the gig with one last blast, his amps completely shut off, leaving him with a laughing, bewildered look on his face. You felt bad for him to end this way, however, it was quickly laughed off. I would think the soundman is starting his job at Burger King this morning.

Roger & Pete seemed to get along well together all evening. Daltrey is yet one of rock's cornerstone singers, holding all numbers together well, having the ability to make up for past high vocal points during songs with relative ease.
Townsend seemed grandfatherly, slowly walking to the mike, on several occasions. At one point, between numbers, he looked at the floor briefly, slowly walked to the mike, looked into the crowd and said "Thanks", which was a great moment, surely healing for him from his recent difficulties. For the support from the rest of the players, the glue is Zak Starkey, who is just wild enough to keep Townsend happy, with Pete challenging him to bring up the level, and Zak responding. He pounds the kit with a focus and resolve which is terrific. Great to see Rabbit Bundrick in a up front, prominent role. Pino on bass, Pete's brother Simon hold their own, staying in the background for most of the evening.

All in all, rock royalty rolled into the sleepy town of Mansfield last evening, and on every count, The Who showed that they are not ready to sunset, and the future of the band looks promising. Here's hoping Townsend stays focused towards the band, delivers new material which will keep the fire hot. Long Live Rock!

Hello Nellcote , sounds like you had a great time and that Boston was a " Dress Rehearsal " for NYC :

From the " Chairman's " Web site :

" 22 May 2004
MSG UPDATED "

" Sometimes in your life you just happen upon magical moments. Today I had planned to be in Cardiff to see my football team lose the FA Cup Final but instead I found myself in New York with the Who. I could write a lot about what happened on the stage at Madison Square Garden tonight but it wouldn't do justice to the band's performance so I'm going to sleep on it (after I've put some photos up) and return to it tomorow.

It's now tomorrow!! I've had a number of emails about last night's show saying how amazing, even transcedental, it was. I've seen the Who a lot, and sometimes it's easy to be nonchalant about it but something special did happen last night. Whenever I've written about this sort of thing before it's always the band / audience relationship that takes my attention but last night it was the Pete / Roger relationship that had me hooked. I can't put my finger on it as it's totally intangible, but something, don't know what, evolved last night.

We've heard talk of a new Who or Who Mk 2 and I think last night that transition kicked in, particularly I felt during the Roger / Pete acoustic version of Naked Eye. I told both Pete and Roger after the show that I felt something magical had happened and I don't know if they thought I was mad or what, but they both agreed it was a great evening.

So the short trip is over and I'd like to thank everyone, as always, who were so kind to me during the stay. I look forward to the rest of the year and beyond with a new excitement. New York always provides something new and never fails to amaze me (although the SWAT guys on the corner do the opposite!!) and last night it did both! Thanks. "

Matt Kent !

Setlist

I Can't Explain
Substitute
Anyway Anyhow Anywhere
Who Are You
Behind Blue Eyes
Baba O'Riley
The Punk And The Godfather
Love Reign O'er Me
Eminence Front
Drowned (PT solo acoustic)
Naked Eye (PT & RD solo acoustic)
Real Good Looking Boy
You Better You Bet
My Generation /Young Man Blues (part)/ Old Red Wine
Won't Get Fooled Again

Encore 1

Pinball Wizard
Amazing Journey / Sparks
See Me Feel Me
Listening to You

Encore 2

Magic Bus

J. T.

May 24th, 2004 03:18 PM
Joey
quote:
Gazza wrote:
great stuff. "Love aint for keeping" and "Eminence front"? aaagh...typing this with my nipples...roll on Birmingham on June 7th.

By the way - Joey - in the papers today, Zak Starkey mentioned that the fact he's playing with Oasis wont affect his commitments with the Who. The understanding is that any dates he's playin with "The Brothers Grim" (eg Glastonbury) are on the understanding that the 'Oo takes preference, so hopefully that might indicate more US shows

Thanks Gazza ..............I feel better now !

Plus , I STILL can't believe how " Pete and Company " mixed it up a bit and played " Love Ain't For Keeping " !!!!

I am so excited that am I STILL Typing with my nipples and may be the rest of the year .

Developing ........................................

Nipping ..........................................

" Stones Rule You Bastards ! "

Spazzy !