ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Columbia Airport 1994
Đ Mark Seliger

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Lets spend the night together movie Return to archive
May 19th, 2004 05:27 AM
headshrinker Is it n e good?
May 19th, 2004 07:35 AM
dealer squealing Itīs great. Tecnically itīs not well edited and shot but seing the Stones in top form and great set itīs a must!
May 19th, 2004 08:06 AM
Jumacfly I ve heard the songs are cut before the end, is it true???
Anyway the HTW intro is...mmhhh..
May 19th, 2004 08:19 AM
Mr Jimmy I personally love Let's Spend The Night Together. I think 'the shooting' and directing by Hal Ashby was great because it was shot to be seen on the BIG screen and not shot like videos/dvds of today with the intentional tighter framing that looks better on your home tv. When I watch LSTNT at home it seems like a completely different film then when I saw it for the first time when it was released in the theatre. You really need to experience it in the theatre where you feel the full impact of a shot where Mick fills the the foreground, Keith is in the middle plane, and that composition is juxtaposed aginst a backdrop of several thousand fans. That kind of composition is very powerful in a theatre but comes across as a little 'busy' on a tv. Either way, the music is fantastic!
May 19th, 2004 08:38 AM
Jumping Jack Look for "Rocks Off" the euro version that also has Whip.
May 19th, 2004 12:03 PM
padre What annoys me most on LSTNT is that the intros are cut from some songs (JJF misses the whole 1st verse!) and the songs run in the wrong speed. They're way too fast. If you get your hands on Hampton -81, get that. It's much better.
May 19th, 2004 12:35 PM
cwatts0462 GREAT TO SEE MICK GET PISSED AT WOODY BACK STAGE AND AT KEITH ONSTAGE
May 20th, 2004 09:59 AM
exilestones@netscape The movie sucks because it is chopped to death missing too many parts.
May 20th, 2004 10:06 AM
F505 that movie sucks indeed: songs are cut short and Mick wears the most riduculous outfit you ever saw.
May 20th, 2004 10:16 AM
jb I agree..awful movie, weak performances...I remember going to see it in college on the big screen...people in the audience said the "Who" were much better as they had recently played the Tangerine Bowl...In all candor, 81 was the beginning of the decline....
May 20th, 2004 10:28 AM
F505 The tour itself wasn't that bad I guess. It's the last tour Ron Wood was in shape. Unfortunately the movie and the Still Life album didn't do justice to the 1981 tour. But I agree with JB: from this point on the decline was starting....
May 20th, 2004 10:33 AM
jb Agreed....the concert itself was the last real "Stones" compared to the polished Vegas acr from 89 forward...but Woody was already on the decline, Jagger never sounded like the Jagger from 69-78(his voice got much deeper), and the band just never was quite the same...
May 21st, 2004 01:03 PM
padre But Keef in -81 looked cooler than ever before or after that! I just can't get enough of YCAGWYW on LSTNT. And the intro of THW...YEAH, BABY!
May 21st, 2004 01:06 PM
jb
quote:
padre wrote:
But Keef in -81 looked cooler than ever before or after that! I just can't get enough of YCAGWYW on LSTNT. And the intro of THW...YEAH, BABY!

Keith did look glorious....also I liked the way he kinda glided along stage in his suede boots b/t riffs on Under My Thumb..
May 21st, 2004 01:12 PM
Mikey best thing about that movie, IMO, is Beast of Burden, YCAGWYW and one of the best, if not the best, versions of Let it Bleed live. Keith hits a chord after shaking his cigarette that reminds us all how dirty and sleazy that song can be.
May 21st, 2004 01:15 PM
jb
quote:
Mikey wrote:
best thing about that movie, IMO, is Beast of Burden, YCAGWYW and one of the best, if not the best, versions of Let it Bleed live. Keith hits a chord after shaking his cigarette that reminds us all how dirty and sleazy that song can be.

May 21st, 2004 02:04 PM
Some Guy I like it, I finally found the dvd. I must of saw that 15 times at the theater. I was obsessed with that blue jacket Mick was wearing.
May 21st, 2004 02:05 PM
jb
quote:
Some Guy wrote:
I like it, I finally found the dvd. I must of saw that 15 times at the theater. I was obsessed with that blue jacket Mick was wearing.

Mick's face in the promo poster looks like he is on prednisone or some other inflamation causing drug...
May 21st, 2004 02:14 PM
padre
quote:
padre wrote:
intro of THW...YEAH, BABY!

THW? Tonky Honk Women?
May 21st, 2004 04:04 PM
Gimme Shelter I have always loved that movie, and also Still Life was the second Stones album I ever got, and I won it off the radio.
May 21st, 2004 05:43 PM
DG81 Love it and hate it in equal measures. Love it for Jagger's jacket and chewing gum, Keith's coolness / raggedness, Ronnie's youthfulness / Charlie's utter brilliance as always (although, he's not shown nearly enough for my liking) and Bill..I think he played brilliantly on the US and Euro tours of 81 and 82, after listening to boots of the period. Poor OLD bastard, no one ever seems to give him any credit.

Same old gripes though - merciless 'editing' of songs, and why does the audio track make the Stones sound like the Chipmunks on speed??
May 22nd, 2004 05:31 PM
sammy davis jr. I think it's more like "The Stones on cocaine" is why everything is so fast. I like the movie ok......at least nobody gets killed in it.
May 22nd, 2004 06:04 PM
glencar Love the photography of this flick. The sun going down at Sun Devil was sweet. They did some nice set lists that tour.
May 22nd, 2004 06:12 PM
Sir Stonesalot Hal Ashby was a hamfisted fuckwit.

Who the fuck inserts atrocity footage in the middle of Time Is On Our Side? I don't need to see execution footage and heads on sticks during a Stones film.

Fuckin' awful editing.

What's with the time continuity? Why do they show the guys walking around backstage before the gig in the middle of the show?

The only saving grace is the Stones themselves. The movie sucks.
May 22nd, 2004 06:20 PM
T&A movie isn't as bad as the Still Life. As for the TIOMS video - well, Hal isnt' to be blamed entirely - the Stones did show that footage during the song throughout the tour.
May 22nd, 2004 10:22 PM
cwatts0462 i like the film alot
and i watch it alot
if your not into the editing thing
then watch hampton or seattle,[problem solved
May 24th, 2004 12:01 PM
padre But where has Charlie's bold spot disappeared since LSTNT? It's very evident in the movie, but I don't see it anymore. Chief Wiggum?
May 24th, 2004 12:11 PM
jb
quote:
T&A wrote:
movie isn't as bad as the Still Life. As for the TIOMS video - well, Hal isnt' to be blamed entirely - the Stones did show that footage during the song throughout the tour.

No video in 81...it was either 89 or 94...