ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Columbia Airport 1994
© Mark Seliger

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Dylantour '04 Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
April 11th, 2004 07:29 AM
charlotte Columbia, South Carolina
Township Auditorium
April 10, 2004

Maggie's Farm

Tell Me That It Isn't True

Lonesome Day Blues

Ring Them Bells

Things Have Changed

Boots Of Spanish Leather

Tweedle Dee & Tweedle Dum

Tryin' To Get To Heaven

I Don't Believe You (She Acts Like We Never Have Met)

Ballad Of Hollis Brown (acoustic)

Bye And Bye

Honest With Me

I Believe In You

Summer Days
(encore)

Cat's In the Well
Like a Rolling Stone
All Along the Watchtower
April 11th, 2004 07:50 AM
charlotte 5 by Dylan

For an overview of Dylan's evolution, try these five albums.

1. "The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan" 1963. Dylan's second LP includes "Blowin' in the Wind" and "A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall."

2. "Bringing It All Back Home" 1965. Made his move to rock on "Subterranean Homesick Blues" and "Love Minus Zero/No Limit."

3. "Highway 61 Revisited" 1965. Hailed as one of the most influential rock albums ever made. Includes the classics "Desolation Row" and "Like a Rolling Stone."

4. "Blood on the Tracks" 1975. Spawned legions of post- '70s singer/songwriters with tracks like "Tangled Up In Blue," "Idiot Wind" and "Simple Twist of Fate."

5. "Time Out of Mind" 1997. A mature Dylan looks back at some of the questions he explored as a young man on this Grammy winner. Includes: "Not Dark Yet."

April 11th, 2004 07:55 AM
charlotte On piano, Dylan doesn’t disappoint

By MARK LAYMAN

Staff Writer The State Newspaper 04-11-04

Caroline Schwarz and Kait Runevitch saw Bob Dylan’s concert in Asheville, N.C., on Friday night, then drove to Columbia and caught a few hours of sleep in front of The Township so they’d be first in line when the doors opened for his Saturday-night concert there.

“We’ve slept in scarier places, like downtown Houston,” said Runevitch, 22, of Ohio.

She and Schwarz played cards to pass the time Saturday afternoon as they waited on the hot concrete outside The Township.

If their idol’s appearance in a new Victoria’s Secret TV ad bothered them, they weren’t letting on.

“I think it’s funny,” said Schwarz, 38, of Michigan. “If Bob wants to prance around with supermodels and sell quality underwear, it’s OK with me.”

Jake Chapiesky, 21, a soon-to-be USC graduate, was hanging out before the concert, too. “A lot of people say he’s sold out, but it’s always like Dylan to do contrary to what people expect him to,” Chapiesky said of the TV ad. “I say more power to him.”

It was the music that mattered to Chapiesky — “I’m so excited; I’m giddy” — and close to 3,000 other fans who turned out for Dylan’s first Columbia appearance in nearly 6½ years.

And Dylan delivered, with a two-hour, 17-song show that spanned his career, from 1960s classics such as “Ballad of Hollis Brown” to rollicking blues-based tunes from 2001’s “Love and Theft.”

Stick-thin, wearing a long black coat and cowboy hat, and walking with a limp, Dylan took the stage shortly past 8 p.m.

He barked and growled the lyrics of the opening song, “Maggie’s Farm,” from behind an electric piano stage right, where he stayed all night. (Dylan, who’s almost 63, isn’t playing guitar on this tour; the talk is that he suffers from arthritis — which could explain the odor of Ben-Gay in the air a few minutes before the show began.)

The band is one of the better ones Dylan has taken on the road. Guitarists Larry Campbell and Freddy Koella traded leads throughout the show, Campbell’s smooth and melodic, Koella’s sharp and slashing. Campbell sat down behind a pedal steel guitar for songs such as “Tell Me That It Isn’t True” and picked up a cittern, which is similar to a mandolin, for “Boots of Spanish Leather.”

Dylan got the most out of the band, letting them stretch in long instrumental intros and mid-song jams.

His near-constant touring in recent years has given him a good sense of pacing, too. The plaintive “Ring Them Bells” (with Tony Garnier finger-picking and bowing an upright bass) followed the bouncing “Lonesome Day Blues” “Honest With Me” picked the crowd up again after the lounge-band feel of “Bye and Bye.”

Dylan didn’t say a word — not even a “thank you” — until he introduced the band two-thirds of the way through the encore, after “Cat’s in the Well” and “Like a Rolling Stone.” Then they ended the night with a sizzling “All Along the Watchtower.”

Dylan takes a few weeks off after three shows at The Tabernacle in Atlanta this week. He's off to Europe in early summer, and word is he and Willie Nelson will co-headline a U.S. tour in August.

April 11th, 2004 09:58 AM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy I'm listening to the last night of Boston right now (I was there, damnit! I think you can hear me yelling "OH, FUCK YES!" right before "Cold Irons Bound"), and damn, it's *fantastic*. The band's on fire, and the version of "You Ain't Goin' Nowhere" is just... wow. He's actually singing! In that sort of raspy voice, yeah, but... it's singing! It's been a fantastic tour, so far...

...but why does he like Under The Red Sky so much? It's probably one of his most reviled albums, ever, almost a concious rejection of what people thought they'd pegged him as after Oh Mercy. I think he should re-do all the songs off of it, in the same fantastic way he's been doing 'em live, and release it as a remake of the original.

-tSYX --- God knows...
April 12th, 2004 12:59 AM
FPM C10 So. When do we get a review from Martha and Nasty of THEIR show? I saw the setlist - and it's Unbelievable!

When's the last time he played Unbelievable? Ever?

I love that song. They got a couple of other dandies, but that one's extra cool.

Hey, whoever has the boot of the 4/3 DC show, please let me know. You can send me a message privately if you're shy.
April 12th, 2004 07:54 AM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy FPM, Drop me a PM. I've got a copy for you.

-tSYX --- Sweet little rock'n'rollah...
April 12th, 2004 09:08 AM
Lazy Bones
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Well this spring tour has primarily been aimed at theatres and clubs so the American university show in DC the other night was, at 6,000, the largest of those venues. Most have been 2000-3000, going down to around 800. The Aragon in Chicago was second largest at around 4,500. Of course, in many of these cities hes played three shows, sometimes in three different theatres.

Actually, of this "Winter-Spring 2004 N.A. Tour", the largest venue was Ricoh Coliseum, Toronto: 19-Mar-04 (10,000).

Now, the details have yet to be posted about the 5 June show in Uncasville, CT. Presuming he plays at the Mohegan Sun Arena, it, too, has a capacity of 10,000.

On the other hand, the smallest show was the Phoenix, Toronto: 20-Mar-04 (800). Second-smallest, was the Orange Peel the other night (942).
April 12th, 2004 01:22 PM
Nasty Habits Don't let her sweet demeanor on this board fool you - Martha is a WILD WOMAN.

She could flat out out party any member of C-10 right under the table in no time flat, knows exactly how much chiba it takes before you reach human toxicity level and die (and she rides that line too, boy, lemme tell ya), harangues passersby on the street demanding they surrender their Bob Dylan tickets to a higher cause (higher cause being Martha and her immediate entourage, which is, frankly, HUGE), drops her drawers at the flip of a dime and is always tryin' to get you and your wife to go hot tubbin'. The whole freakin' city of Asheville sort of basked in Martha's presence -- there were street buskers comin' up to her and playin' love songs to her with this smitten look in their eyes (harmonicists AND saxophonics both and all!) and even Dylan's band fell under her spell. Why one look at her and Larry Campbell was just about breaking the front window of the Rolling Thunderbeast to get to where she was at. Exhausting, exhilerating, and amazing. I am only JUST recovered from a weekend of partying with Martha. DAMN.

She is also psychic, as she passed a message onto Bob demanding he play a particular song. While we were having lunch before the show, Martha said, "Bob is going to play "Can't Wait" tonight. I know it. I have no doubts. I will look into his eyes and he will sing 'Can't Wait' to me. I will brook no bullshit from Bob. If he does not play 'Can't Wait' I cannot be responsible for my actions, and Bob WILL be responsible for the consequences."

Stunned by this absolute mastery over the human condition and over the will of others, all I could say was, "Unbelievable".

So that word got mixed up in the message to Dylan somewhere, I'm guessin'.

So, Bob Dylan in an actual club. Not a small club, but definitely a "club". The sound was really good -- everybody was quite audible and separate except for the keyboard, which only occasionally clunked out of the mix with its percussive excamations. The crowd - polite. Not drunk, excited, but not jockeying for position like they usually do. At every Bob Dylan show I've ever been to at some point the front of the stage becomes a free for all as people crowd up closer to the front, taking the lesson 'You gotta get up near the teacher if you want to learn anything', deeply to heart. At this show everyone, I guess, was close enough and just happy to be there. I have been at the OP when it was suffocating and irritating to be in a sold out crowd. At this show I felt like I always had space. NICE!

First and foremost, instrumentally speaking, I love Fuzzy Freddy. As far as being a lead player I can't remember the last one I liked better . . . Mike Campbell? GE? I mean, this guy's big fat tone and curious rhythmic approach (space between notes! Hallelujah!) is EXACTLY what Bob Dylan shows need - he obviously really makes Bob excited when he plays, and that to me is the purpose of the band at a Bob Dylan show. Yeah, freddy. That dude is the jam!! Who else has ever used a freakin' cheapass Danelectro on stage with Dylan. That great Muddy Waters sounding slide guitar tone made Highway 61 Revisited live again! He should play that guitar a lot more -- Cat's in the Well in particular needs to have slide guitar on it. There were several songs that I thought never really caught fire until Koella stepped up and ripped out some weird four note nonsense, and then there was a noticeable lift from the stage! I say hooray for the freak with the big nose and the hat.

Dylan was wearing a long black coat. It looks uncomfortable to me, the way he has to bend his back over to deliver lines. If he's got back problems he's not doing himself any favors playing like he does nightly. Raise that mic up, old man!

It also drives me nuts the way he plays harmonica bent over with one hand on the keys. This is no way to channel insane instrumental brilliance from the great cosmic onhigh into the place you're playing. If you're gonna play harmonica and you don't have to play guitar while you do it -- use them two hands! The amount of concentration that it will yeild beautiful bent notes and hypnotized faces. Because when the man really does his thing, he blows the back of the joint out harder than anyone around.

Of course, Bob Dylan takes none of Nasty Habits' advice, and why should he?

It's weird to monitor your emotional responses to what is going on on a stage and realize that it's most "exciting" when the performer in question looks out in the audience, acknowledges your mass existence, and maybe expresses some kind of pleasure at being there. So many fan reviews move along the lines of "It was just so much fun seeing how much fun they're having", as if that particular emotional response of mutual pleasure is any REAL sustiboot for one of the all time best performers of ever crawlin' down deep into his shit and dragging out undeniable brilliance for all to see and feel? I don't know, it depends on who you are. Fortunately, you got both at the Orange Peel, split about 50/50 down the middle.

Like, I don't care at ALL for the new arrangement of Baby Blue. The new gimmick on arrangements seems to be about new places to put pauses, and the way Baby Blue is arranged to me destroys any sense of lyric OR melody and replaces it with nothing. It was a weird thing to put in your secondary slot. Coming as it did after "To Be Alone With You", which seems to be the standard "This one is gonna be intimate!" song for this tour, I was really unsure as to how I was going to feel about the whole show. To Be Alone with You is a good opener but it's no "Cold Irons Bound", you know?

Savage, I laughed out loud when I heard about hearing you on the MP3 at Boston because I am willing to bet that when the Asheville tape circulates there is going to be a very audible "HOLY SHIT!" from me when the chords to "Unbelievable" started. One falter lyrically, but otherwise it was the rebirth of a lost and great song. I have been thinking a lot about Bob's apocalyptic "end times" songs lately and they certainly do sound awfully right right now. Kill that beast and feed that swine, scale that wall and smoke that vine, beat that horse and saddle up that drum!

I don't really like the new arrangement of "Most Likely You Go Your Way and I'll Go Mine" -- I think it's a real mistake to let the band play an entire verse before he comes in with the vocals -- it never really lets energy come into the song. But perhaps he was saving his energy for what was no doubt the MAJOR performance of the night - "Can't Wait".

It was in and of itself riveting to realize that Martha had hypnotized Bob into playing this particular number on her for this particular night (and inadvertantly giving ol' geek ME quite the surprise in "Unbelievable") but to witness the concentration, intensity, and unrelenting performance of this particular number was one of my high points of being a Dylan gazer for the last 15 (!) years. Without one real instrumental break between lines, Dylan gave this particular tale of sexual obsession a leering intensity that was truly amazing to behold -- I have rarely seen him flit from lyric to lyric with such power and force. A truly shocking performance. Way to muse, Martha.

The rest of the show was ups and downs and fun and laughs. Bob really did start mugging at the audience after this genuine triumph was reached. He nailed it again on "Not Dark Yet", really tripped through the upper register of his voice in "I Believe in You", with quite a lot of emotion during in particular the second half. "Honest with Me" was great -- it's got some of those new spaces between lines that really bring the humor of the song out. Summer Days started off light, but was roaring by the end, thanks in particular to a fantastic solo by the Fuzzyman.

After the show I thought that Bob looked at one spot in the crowd in particular for a long time, then I realized that he was staring at Martha with kind of this look on his face, sort of a hangdog "did I do OK?" I think at this point Martha nodded her approval, which seemed to satisfy Bob, who waved and went off.

As far as song-to-genius ratio, I think that this was probably in my all time top five Bob Dylan shows, but there are a few that I've seen that were better. As far as proximity to one of the most charismatic people in recent history, there was nothing quite like being in that small room with that small guy. Equal parts great music and great personality. I guess that is rock and roll right there.

And meeting Martha was pretty awesome too! Hope you made it back safe, WILD WOMAN!

Nasty

April 12th, 2004 01:26 PM
Martha "Second-smallest, was the Orange Peel the other night (942)." Lazy Bones

heheheheheheheh............................

20 feet from Bob. I stood just 20 feet way from BOB! I saw every nook and cranny of his leathery face. I saw his beady eyes peering out at me........I watched him laugh as he sang his own lyrics...I saw him from just 20 feet away.

And...he played "Can't Wait".

I am still stunned.................

Nasty, you must take over for me and provide details......

Or was it just a dream?
April 12th, 2004 01:32 PM
Joey
quote:
Martha wrote:
"Second-smallest, was the Orange Peel the other night (942)." Lazy Bones

heheheheheheheh............................

20 feet from Bob. I stood just 20 feet way from BOB! I saw every nook and cranny of his leathery face. I saw his beady eyes peering out at me........I watched him laugh as he sang his own lyrics...I saw him from just 20 feet away.

And...he played "Can't Wait".

I am still stunned.................

Nasty, you must take over for me and provide details......

Or was it just a dream?

Martha .........................................

I would like to nuzzle you .
April 12th, 2004 02:08 PM
Nasty Habits Further proof of her psychic abilities - martha and I posted at the same time!

Spooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooky.
April 12th, 2004 03:21 PM
Nasty Habits Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the flying bra that landed on the keyboards. My first flying bra at a Dylan show. You guys seen that before? I think it's this whole Victoria's Secret thing! Man, what happened to you Bob? It used to be about the music! Now it's all about the breasts!

April 12th, 2004 03:28 PM
GimmeExile mac_daddy, do the DC shows sound good individually in their entirety or was the compilation created to highlight only the good sounding songs from the three shows?

Also, how do the burnerless participate in vines?

[Edited by GimmeExile]
April 12th, 2004 03:30 PM
Factory Girl GimmeExile, you participate thru a b&p.
April 13th, 2004 11:22 AM
FPM C10 Great review, Nasty! I hope I get to see a Dylan show with you someday. But I MUST see one with Martha.

I would've given anything to be there with you guys - but your review made me feel like I was. Thanks!

April 13th, 2004 11:23 AM
Joey
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:
Great review, Nasty! I hope I get to see a Dylan show with you someday. But I MUST see one with Martha.

I would've given anything to be there with you guys - but your review made me feel like I was. Thanks!

April 13th, 2004 11:43 AM
Nasty Habits The more I think about it, that bra must have been Martha's.
April 13th, 2004 12:16 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:
When's the last time he played Unbelievable? Ever?

Seattle: 21-Jun-95

http://www.geocities.com/adam1117/boblast.html
April 13th, 2004 12:16 PM
Martha I don't throw bras Nasty, Bob throws down for ME! Remember I brook NO bullshit from Bob!

BTW, I don't wear bras, I burned 'em all back in the day my friend.

I thought it was your wife who threw that black bra right on Bob's keyboards, great shot whoever it was. I've never seen a bra flung at Bob either. VS is bringing Bob a whole new fan-base evidently. LOL

FPM C-10....yes, we MUST see a Bob show together...perhaps when he and Willie go out in August. hehehe!

Wait a minute...Joey, that wasn't you who threw the bra was it?????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
April 20th, 2004 03:03 PM
GimmeExile What are the best recordings of Dylan's 2004 spring tour?

mac_daddy, do you still think 3/30 Electric Factory is the best?
April 20th, 2004 05:16 PM
Martha
quote:
GimmeExile wrote:
What are the best recordings of Dylan's 2004 spring tour?

mac_daddy, do you still think 3/30 Electric Factory is the best?

I'll vote once I get the Detroit 3-pack from Travelin' Man Records....oh and the two Toronto and two DC shows he recorded also. Stay tuned.

:-)
April 20th, 2004 05:33 PM
GimmeExile Martha, did your buddy record only 2 of the 3 DC shows?

How do they sound?
April 21st, 2004 01:51 AM
kahoosier I want to know if anyone has the Parkwest Chicago show from March 8? I woudl die to hear that set!
April 25th, 2004 10:46 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
kahoosier wrote:
I want to know if anyone has the Parkwest Chicago show from March 8? I woudl die to hear that set!

yes - it is fantastic.
April 26th, 2004 12:20 AM
kahoosier ahhhhh macdaddy are you teasing me now?? OK if it is fantastic, can nay one e-mail me to arrange B&P or trade or anything for Dylan Park West Chicago?
April 26th, 2004 04:59 AM
MRD8 With all the discusion on the board of Dylan 2004 I thought I'd offer up for B&P a great new single DVD set I just got of his show in Toronto on March 19th! As always email me at [email protected] for details...this offer is open to anyone in the world who can get blank DVDR's or $$$ to me. Here's the setlist:
Drifter's Escape (Bob on piano)
It's All Over Now, Baby Blue (Bob on piano)
Tweedle Dee & Tweedle Dum (Bob on piano)
Just Like A Woman (Bob on piano)
Things Have Changed (Bob on piano)
Highway 61 Revisited (Bob on piano, Freddy on slide guitar, Tommy M. on electric guitar)
Ballad Of A Thin Man (Bob on piano, Larry on pedal steel)
Stuck Inside Of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again (Bob on piano)
Floater (Too Much To Ask) (Bob on piano, Freddy on violin)
Most Likely You Go Your Way (And I'll Go Mine) (Bob on piano)
Make You Feel My Love (Bob on piano)
Honest With Me (Bob on piano, Larry on slide guitar)
Girl Of The North Country (acoustic) (Bob on piano and harp)
Summer Days (Bob on piano, Tony on standup bass, Tommy M. on guitar)
(encore)

Cat's In The Well (Bob on piano)
Like A Rolling Stone (Bob on piano)
All Along The Watchtower (Bob on piano)

May 6th, 2004 06:49 PM
Martha [quote]GimmeExile wrote:
Martha, did your buddy record only 2 of the 3 DC shows?

Yes.

How do they sound?
Travelin" Man Records is getting quite a reputation because his recordings always sounds excellent. I haven't heard these particular recordings yet. Once I do I'll let you know.
May 6th, 2004 06:53 PM
Martha MRD8, My DVD blanks did not arrive after I ordered them (grrrr)...and I was waiting so patiently too. LOL So I am goin' to buy some this weekend and mail them to you on Monday. Sorry for the delay.
May 8th, 2004 09:37 AM
MRD8 Martha,
No problem...the DVD is still here awaiting the arrival of your blanks!
May 8th, 2004 12:03 PM
Martha
quote:
MRD8 wrote:
Martha,
No problem...the DVD is still here awaiting the arrival of your blanks!

You are fabulous! They'll go out Monday. I'll let you know.

Thanks SOOOOO much!

Can I include a copy of the Bowie show from 4/1/04 as a gift in the package? LMK!

xxoo,
Martha
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7