ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Columbia Airport 1994
© Mark Seliger

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Dylantour '04 Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
March 4th, 2004 02:13 PM
Phog Well, my Dylan trek is over for now. I took in 2/28 in Tulsa at Cain's Ballroom, and 3/2 & 3/3 in St. Louis at The Pageant.

Tulsa was probably the weakest show of the three, but still a fine experience. Cain's Ballroom has always been on my list of places I wanted to catch a show at. What a fine way to bust my cherry on that venue. Portraits of old Western and Swing greats line the walls and look down on you- Hank Williams, Hank Snow, Bob Wills, Gene Autry, Roy Rogers, etc.... Just to be perverse, the management ought to tack a picture of the Sex Pistols on those walls. One of their 8 U.S. dates in '78 was at Cain's Ballroom. Supposedly, the hole that Sid Vicious punched in the dressing room wall remains there to this day. Highlights from Tulsa were: "Drifter's Escape", "Tell Me That It Isn't True", "The Lonesome Death Of Hattie Carol", "Girl From The North Country", "Every Grain Of Sand", and "Saving Grace". I don't know if it was first night jitters, but Bob did this little boxer-type shuffle whenever he walked around the stage. Strange, but funny. He's also working in a new drummer, so on some songs there were two guys on skins. It wasn't overpowering, though. A solid show in a great old building.

There were three scheduled shows for St. Louis, but I didn't catch the first one. There were only two setlist differences between the Tulsa show and the first St. Louis show. The Dylan message boards were grumbling (sound familiar?). The second night offered 7 or 8 different songs, so I was happy with that. As a new opener we got "Down Along The Cove", which fuckin' killed me. He also whipped out "Can't Wait" and "Shooting Star", plus the fine new arragements of "Hattie Carol" and "Girl From The North Country". Great show.

St. Louis #3 was my personal favorite of the shows I saw. I lined up early enough to be let into the Halo Bar (which adjoins the Pageant) and didn't have to suffer in the cold rain. They had the "Cocksucker Blues" dvd playing on the big screen tv, so that was a nice treat. You should've seen some of folks in the bar gawking at that movie. I had to chuckle to myself. Highlights of the show were: "Tombstone Blues", "Senor", "Love Minus Zero/No Limit", another nice reading of "Girl From The North Country", "Cold Irons Bound", "Every Grain Of Sand", and a fine version of "Highway 61 Revisited".

The new guitarist is a pretty nice addition to the band. He's got a more rock/blues style than Charlie Sexton (who can pretty much play anything), but it fits in well with Dylan's sound. Larry Campbell and Tony Garnier are are the absolute glue of this band. Campbell just gets better and better everytime I see him play. Garnier is simply a fucking rock on the bass.

If this tour is coming to your area and you can score yourself a ticket, do it. I know others here are going to the Chicago and Toronto shows and they are in for a treat. Dylan is having fun and this band still cooks.
March 4th, 2004 02:37 PM
alex_taper Thanks Phog for your reviews of the shows, great set-lists like in fall european tour last year. How is the new drummer (the one from Little Feat) ???
March 4th, 2004 02:55 PM
Phog He's good, but still learning the tunes. He makes funny faces when he plays, too.
March 4th, 2004 03:03 PM
HardKnoxDurtySox got tix for DC on april 3rd. all GA show so i'm hopin to get up close and personal. itl be my first dylan show.
March 4th, 2004 03:27 PM
Stonesdoug Hey hardknox--we have a group of 12 going to that show, including TomL and Nanky. We're going to meet beforehand for a couple of freshies, Hope you can join us. WIll let you know where in the near future
[Edited by Stonesdoug]
March 4th, 2004 03:36 PM
jb Nanky going to Dylan...WTF?
March 4th, 2004 03:40 PM
Joey
March 4th, 2004 08:33 PM
HardKnoxDurtySox
quote:
Stonesdoug wrote:
Hey hardknox--we have a group of 12 going to that show, including TomL and Nanky. We're going to meet beforehand for a couple of freshies, Hope you can join us. WIll let you know where in the near future
[Edited by Stonesdoug]

sounds great...im looking forward to staying with a friend of mine who is an RA at a freshmen dorm at george washington. should be interesting.
March 4th, 2004 08:39 PM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
Phog wrote:
I don't know if it was first night jitters, but Bob did this little boxer-type shuffle whenever he walked around the stage. Strange, but funny.

phog interesting you mention that

i missed him when he was hear last year but a friend of mine who did see him also mentioned this "shuffling around" that he did

i also read that the reason bob now plays keyboards instead of guitar on stage is due to a back problem

maybe the years are physically catching up with bob - degenerative spinal conditions are, of course, not uncommon particularly once peopole hit 60 -65
March 4th, 2004 09:44 PM
Lazy Bones Thanks for the review(s), Phog. Looking forward to BOTH Toronto dates as he added a second TO show on the 21st.
March 4th, 2004 09:58 PM
Martha Thanks for the great review phog. Glad you got to see all three of those shows! I got lucky enough to grab tickets for all three Detroit shows coming up in less than two weeks. Is anyone else here going there?

Bob shufflin'!? Hell that's his energy. He's so funny, impish, full of humor and delight. Watch how he walks in "Masked and Anonymous", with a little lilt to his step. And..the way he plays harmonica, guitar and keys...all of it has the same lilt to it...a tickle, ickle, ickle sound/energy. That sound and movement is his essence. Purely Bob. I love it. And..I can't wait to see him!

By the way, was his Oscar sitting around on stage somewhere?
March 4th, 2004 10:28 PM
Phog The Oscar is sitting on an amplifier on the left side of the stage.

Actually, the shuffling had almost disappeared for the St. Louis shows. He did it the whole time in Tulsa. I just think it was nervous energy--he's happy to be back on the road.

I've also heard the speculation of Dylan's bad back. Another guess for Dylan playing only piano is that he suffers from arthritis. I dunno, I was very close to him and his hands looked fine to me. I'm no doctor, but Keef's hands look much worse.

Hope you all have fun. Let me know what you thought when your shows are done!!
[Edited by Phog]
March 4th, 2004 10:44 PM
Martha Thanks Phog, I knew his Oscar would be right there...the stage is his living room! LOL Nervous energy, that sounds like it to me. Did you tape?
March 4th, 2004 11:01 PM
Phog
quote:
Martha wrote:
Thanks Phog, I knew his Oscar would be right there...the stage is his living room! LOL Nervous energy, that sounds like it to me. Did you tape?

No, I didn't do any taping. However, I did meet a guy at my hotel that is a rabid collector (he claims to have every show since '01) and we exchanged emails. He says he'll send me the Tulsa show and the St. Louis shows once he gets them. He gave me a copy of the Hammersmith Apollo show from last November, and it's fucking great. Pretty cool of him, huh? If I obtain these shows would you like me to PM you, Martha?
March 4th, 2004 11:10 PM
Nellie Fox
quote:
Phog wrote:

He says he'll send me the Tulsa show and the St. Louis shows once he gets them.

The St Louis show is out there already.

http://www.sharingthegroove.org/msgboard/showthread.php?s=&threadid=47558
March 4th, 2004 11:14 PM
Martha
quote:
Phog wrote:

No, I didn't do any taping. However, I did meet a guy at my hotel that is a rabid collector (he claims to have every show since '01) and we exchanged emails. He says he'll send me the Tulsa show and the St. Louis shows once he gets them. He gave me a copy of the Hammersmith Apollo show from last November, and it's fucking great. Pretty cool of him, huh? If I obtain these shows would you like me to PM you, Martha?

Oh hell yes, please PM me! I have a lot of Dylan to trade with you. They are excellent audience recordings....travelin' man records is the name of my source. And I will have all three Detroit shows (TMR) once that has taken place. You can also get me here:
[email protected]

LMK!!!!

THANKS!!!!!!

LB...I am so psyched that you got tickets for night number 2 in TO! And that is a 2,000 capacity venue! Yoohoo!!!!
March 5th, 2004 09:12 AM
Blind Dog McGhee
quote:
Nellie Fox wrote:

The St Louis show is out there already.

http://www.sharingthegroove.org/msgboard/showthread.php?s=&threadid=47558

Why trade when you can get it for free?
March 5th, 2004 09:20 AM
nankerphelge Yep -- nanky's goin' to see Bob!

I've only seen him once before with Petty back in '86 -- to be honest, Bob stunk!

BUT, based on the praises of many of our regulars here including Gazza, Martha, Stoney and, of course, the Fleabit one, I have decided to give Bob another chance.

Plus I have this big ol' Pakalooloo Hawaiian bud the size of the big island just itchin' for some live music!

March 5th, 2004 10:12 AM
Lazy Bones
quote:
Martha wrote:
LB...I am so psyched that you got tickets for night number 2 in TO! And that is a 2,000 capacity venue! Yoohoo!!!!

Indeed. Although not, imo, a nice place to see show as it's, essentially, a large (dance) bar. Stage is about 4-5 feet high on one side of the venue with few chairs and sofas in and around the bars that extend around the perimeter. It's all open, general admission. Once known as "The Warehouse", that's exactly what it is. Massey Hall would have been a much, much better venue. For seating, acoustics and history.

Stoked, nonetheless! I have a contact taper for the first TO show. Haven't talked with him yet, but I hope he's going to the 2nd show also!
March 5th, 2004 10:15 AM
Joey
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:
Yep -- nanky's goin' to see Bob!

I've only seen him once before with Petty back in '86 -- to be honest, Bob stunk!

BUT, based on the praises of many of our regulars here including Gazza, Martha, Stoney and, of course, the Fleabit one, I have decided to give Bob another chance.

Plus I have this big ol' Pakalooloo Hawaiian bud the size of the big island just itchin' for some live music!

Oh sure , I see how you are Nanky ! You give " Bob " a second chance but you will NOT see Steely Dan or THE WHO !

Why ?!?! WHY ?!?!

WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?!

Spanky !
March 5th, 2004 10:18 AM
nankerphelge I've seen the Who -- in '82 -- their first Farewell tour!

I would love to catch Steely Dan.
March 5th, 2004 10:22 AM
Joey " I've seen the Who -- in '82 -- their first Farewell tour!

I would love to catch Steely Dan. "

Please allow your Young Joe Boy to buy you a " Jaggerbomb " this evening .........................................

....................Oh , and you MAY touch my Monkey !

ABS SHAE !!!!!!

ABS SHAE !!!!!!

Snarky !
March 5th, 2004 10:54 AM
parmeda Thanks Phog! Great review...
I have tickets for tonight's Aragon show.
We were this ----><---- close to having to make a pass on it...our youngest made it to the wrestling Sectionals to qualify for the state championship...and we were really torn over "who" to blow off, lol. (Not really, the child would have won our attention over Bob...)
But, luckly, one of our friends has tickets for the Sunday show and was kind enough to swap with us! I have never had the pleasure to see Bob and I was really looking forward to tonight. I just have to wait a few more days
March 5th, 2004 10:56 AM
Joey
quote:
parmeda wrote:
Thanks Phog! Great review...
I have tickets for tonight's Aragon show.
We were this ----><---- close to having to make a pass on it...our youngest made it to the wrestling Sectionals to qualify for the state championship...and we were really torn over "who" to blow off, lol. (Not really, the child would have won our attention over Bob...)
But, luckly, one of our friends has tickets for the Sunday show and was kind enough to swap with us! I have never had the pleasure to see Bob and I was really looking forward to tonight. I just have to wait a few more days

I LOVE the Aragon !
March 5th, 2004 10:57 AM
parmeda Me too, Joey.
I have to settle for The Vic
March 5th, 2004 10:59 AM
Joey " Me too, Joey.
I have to settle for The Vic "

I also love the " House of Blues !!!! " ...............almost saw THE WHO there two years ago but decided to pass on the $ 400.00 tix.

Christ ! ...................................

" Go CUBS Pammy ! "

Cubbie !

March 5th, 2004 11:00 AM
parmeda
quote:
Joey wrote:
" Go CUBS Pammy ! "

Soon, Joey....very soon
March 5th, 2004 11:04 AM
Joey " Soon, Joey....very soon "

You make Joey giddy !!!!!!!!

Jazzy Joe !
March 5th, 2004 12:37 PM
GimmeExile
quote:
Joey wrote:
" Me too, Joey.
I have to settle for The Vic "

Settle for the Vic? It's 1/3 the size of Aragon...More intimate...I actually pulled up 2 tickets to Park West show last Friday (it sold out in a few minutes); unfortunately I couldn't go, but it was still a thrill to grab a pair to a club with a capacity of 900 people!
March 5th, 2004 12:48 PM
Factory Girl I saw BD at MCI recently. I'm seeing new bands this spring.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7