ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

Happy 66th Birthday Charlie!"
"Don’t ever call me your fucking drummer! You’re my fucking singer!"
(Charlie to Mick, Amsterdam, mid-80's)
© 1965 Jeri Holloway (Web Premier of this picture tonight)
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Keith in Pirates - My review Return to archive Page: 1 2
24th May 2007 05:32 PM
FotiniD Just got back from Pirates 3, and let me tell you one thing: Keith was BORN the part. It's not an act, it's a practical on-screen exhibition of what he's been through and what he's learned in life Pirate, man!!

The movie is full of weird plot twists and from one point onwards it gets really difficult to follow unless you're 100% concentrated and fully rested....

I don't want to ruin the element of surprise for you guys, so I can't reveal much. There are two Keith scenes, one that lasts a few minutes and another brief shot later on. They're both so great I'm glad they're towards the end of the film, otherwise I wouldn't be able to keep watching, I'd want to go back to another cinema and watch it all over again Can't wait for the DVD already.

He's dark, he's nasty, he's menacing - what the hell, he's Keith. Now all you go out and watch the movie so we can discuss details about it

P.S. I tried hard not to start shouting "KEITH!!!" while all the ignorants teens and pre-teens sitting next to me were wondering: "Who is this? Oh, the guy that plays Jack's dad? Nah... Oh yeah? Yeah, that's him!".
Also: this cameo should have been a REAL role. Our man knows how to play.
24th May 2007 05:47 PM
PartyDoll MEG Thanks, Fotini!

Jack and his Pappy will have to wait until next weekend for me.
Glad you enjoyed it.

You sure you didn't yell out just a little "Keeeeeefff"?
24th May 2007 05:53 PM
Saint Sway
24th May 2007 06:05 PM
Gimme Shelter I'll be seeing it on Saturday. Cannot wait to see Keith.
24th May 2007 06:16 PM
glencar I won't get to see this flick until next Tuesday (I have to work tomorrow, unexpectedly) but today's slashing review in the NY Times actually singled Keith out towards the end for bad acting & said he should have used Mick J's performance in "Performance" to aid his performance in his Pirates cameo performance. It's rare to see my hero roasted outside these boards & baby, it hoits!
24th May 2007 08:27 PM
Olivia1962 Oh god i cant wait. I bet my friends 20 dollars that i will stand up scream KIETH! when his part comes on. I am going to be 20 dollars richer
24th May 2007 09:04 PM
gypsy Thanks for the review, Fotini! I can't wait to catch this flick either. I've read that Keith's cameo is "scene-stealing." And I don't doubt that for one second.
24th May 2007 09:29 PM
pdog thanks...
Mick is probably pissed, Keith is in a movie that people actually go to see....
25th May 2007 12:39 AM
MikeyC613 Just got back from the Uptown in DC. Man, cool crowd. Lots of applause throughout, including when Keef took the screen. The movie was WAY too long and complicated, but Keef is gravy. My heart was pounding when he came on screen, and I was sitting there smiling, thinking, "Am I watching Keith Richards in a MOVIE?" It was wild.

He basically plays Keith Richards in a pirate costume, so he is naturally great.
25th May 2007 02:34 AM
FotiniD
quote:
MikeyC613 wrote:
Just got back from the Uptown in DC. Man, cool crowd. Lots of applause throughout, including when Keef took the screen. The movie was WAY too long and complicated, but Keef is gravy. My heart was pounding when he came on screen, and I was sitting there smiling, thinking, "Am I watching Keith Richards in a MOVIE?" It was wild.

He basically plays Keith Richards in a pirate costume, so he is naturally great.

Mikey, that's EXACTLY how I felt watching it. Wild indeed.
Glencar, I think that reviewer must have watched another movie...
25th May 2007 03:19 AM
Ten Thousand Motels 'Pirates 3' Could Set First $200M Holiday Weekend Record

http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.com/can-johnny-beat-spidey-pirates-3-could-set-first-200m-holiday-wkd-record/
25th May 2007 03:50 AM
LastChild i yelled KEITH and gave a fist pump when he came on.

hes soo badass.
25th May 2007 03:54 AM
Poplar just got home - late west coast show

in short: long movie - which i enjoyed more than i thought i might. in fact, it was pretty fun. Most importantly, Keith was fucking magnificent.

Longer Version: Back when this was announced, I had a feeling it was going to produce something good. Ya knew it would be high-quality production, and ya knew they wouldn't put Keith any any old shit role. Turns out they give him a role of importance (despite the brevity). To a degree anyone dared hope for, he filled it larger than life. i know every audience is different, but the second Keith showed up, the crowd gasped... seriously, genuine excitement - and EVERYONE seemed to know who he was. It was like the damn highlight for half the crowd. To his credit, he pulled it off perfectly. Not too much "acting," and just enough Keith. I too was on the edge of my seat. you couldn't help it. it was truly captivating. Had it been any unknown actor, there would likely be some people walking out of the theater asking "who was that crazy fuck who played Teague?" seriously, he was that striking. It wouldn't be a stretch to say he stole the show for those few minutes, and a shame he didn't get more time in the film. at two hour and 45 minutes, he would have helped.

my question: i was watching the movie closely from the start, looking for clues as to how the Richards photography was like/unlike the other studio set scenes in the film. as in, was a bare bones session mixed in with the major filming with the other cast? having seen it now, it seemed pretty bare bones, but looked remarkably cool. looked like keith was right there with everyone else on set (trying not to give awaly details here). curious if anyone else is looking for the same thing. i really do wonder why they didn't use him more. and no joke - if they make a 4th, they'd be CRAZY not to work him in to a greater degree. his presence was, like one review said, more than the movie deserved. let him do some laughing, and throw out a few more lines for god's sake.

way to go man. Pure Keith Richards magic. just when you think you've seen it all from this man...

[Edited by Poplar]
25th May 2007 08:28 AM
Jumping Jack
'Pirates': More Is Less
By John Hartl, Film critic, MSNBC

Cliffhangers aren't what they used to be. Did anyone really consider that Johnny Depp's Capt. Jack Sparrow might NOT survive his battle with a ferocious sea monster at the end of last summer's "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest"?

Did we really have to wait a year to find out if the next "Pirates" film would be Depp-less? Could the many-tentacled villain, Davy Jones, played by Bill Nighy, be triumphant, kick Depp out and take over the franchise?

(That's actually a pretty cool idea but . . .nah.)

The low-budget, Saturday-matinee serials that inspired those last scenes in "Dead Man's Chest" were often more suspenseful and worrying because the B-movie actors who appeared in them were more expendable than Depp. They weren't top box-office draws appearing in blockbusters expected to hit the $1 billion mark.

For that reason, there was never much question that Depp would rise again, if somewhat worse for wear, in "Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End," the third installment in the franchise that began four years ago with Disney's surprise smash, "Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl."

No "spoiler alert" is needed before acknowledging that Sparrow survives the battle with the squid-style kraken. Or, that he goes on to star in the longest (168 minutes), most convoluted, most experimental and probably the most expensive entry in the series.

Whether it's the best or worst will be a matter of heated debate over the next few weeks, though even the most enthusiastic Depp fans may be put off by the length and the emphasis on action and special effects over story. It begins to feel like punishment, especially in the final reels, when the narrative appears to wrap up half a dozen times.

While Sparrow is definitely back, the movie begins not with him, but with a brutal mass hanging. This is accompanied by the announcement that habeas corpus has been suspended and apparently no one has any rights at all. Could this be producer Jerry Bruckheimer's attempt to introduce contemporary politics to the franchise? If so, he doesn't follow through, though there's a suggestion that the chief heavy has a New World Order in mind.

Sparrow's old enemy, Lord Cutler Beckett (Tom Hollander) of the East India Trading Co., is up to his usual tricks, abusing his authority by indiscriminately stringing people up. He also means to do away with all pirates, including Sparrow. As in the second film, however, allegiances can shift and motivations may be fuzzy.

"Pretend it's all a bad dream," advises Sparrow. "That's how I survive." Maybe that's the best way to get through "At World's End."

Opposed to Beckett's plans are Will Turner (Orlando Bloom), his girlfriend Elizabeth Swann (Keira Knightley) and the vampirish Capt. Barbossa (Geoffrey Rush). Stellan Skarsgård turns up again as Turner's father, and Naomie Harris makes the most of a key role as the ambiguous Tia Dalma.

The freshest touch here is the introduction of Keith Richards (the acknowledged inspiration for Depp's performance) as Sparrow's father, Capt. Teague. He drops by for a few minutes to give Sparrow advice about survival, and he has a memorably eloquent response to his son's question, "How's Mum?" If you take a bathroom break, you may miss his big scene entirely, but he turns up later for a curtain call.

Also new to the franchise is Chow Yun-Fat, playing a Singapore pirate, Sao Feng, who paws at Swann but otherwise has shockingly little to do. The original director, Gore Verbinski, teams again with screenwriters Ted Elliott and Terry Rosio but fails to develop the characters or encourage the relationships to grow and count. At worst, they risk turning sentimental.

Fortunately, Verbinski has not lost his gift for gallows humor. The makeup effects are as ghoulish as ever, and an episode about frostbitten toes is delightfully squirm-worthy. Computer-generated special effects make possible several cartoonish episodes, including one with a monkey blown out of a cannon and another with a tiny pirate who finds himself launched with his own gun.

Of the actors from the first two films, Bloom has improved most by avoiding self-consciousness and relaxing into his role. Richards, leathery and self-mocking at 63, is such a natural that you can't help wishing he had more to do.

This time around, Verbinski seems more interested in creating stunning visuals and playing games. A nighttime sequence in which the stars merge with the sea, while a ship stirs up the mirror-like water, is especially beautiful. Just as gorgeous is Verbinski's dramatic use of the "green ray" (celebrated in such movies as "Summer" and "A Flash of Green") that takes place under certain conditions at sunset.

Depp co-stars with several versions of himself in a couple of hallucinatory episodes, much like John Malkovich in "Being John Malkovich," but these are show-off moments. Just because Verbinski can do it doesn't mean he's found a good reason for doing it. And, there's already too much of Depp camping it up as Sparrow. This may be the third time, but the charm's worn off. No. 4 would really be pushing it.

Creating a successful sequel can be like trying to make lightning strike more than once in the same spot. It can be done, but it's especially hard to pull off a "threequel." Neither the new "Spider-Man" nor the new "Shrek" quite managed to do it, and the latest "Pirates" is even less successful.

In the summer of 2006, "Dead Man's Chest" set a new opening-weekend box-office record that has since been eclipsed by "Spider-Man 3." No doubt "At World's End" will give the latter a run for its money in the opening-weekend category as well.

Still, that doesn't necessarily mean audiences or critics were satisfied with what finally made it to the screen. "Pirates" No. 2 was a good sales job, and "Pirates" No. 3 is expected to duplicate it. No. 1 may trail both films in total box-office receipts, but it's the one most people will remember.
25th May 2007 09:00 AM
Gazza Today's Daily Express gave the film 3 out of 5, praised Depp highly ("without Depp the film would be a damp squib" and "the movie really belongs to Depp and to the astonishing special effects") but said that "at a bum-numbing 168 minutes, you'd be well advised to get checked out for DVT as the credits roll" and that the plot was hard to make sense of

Some nice words for Keith - "a brilliantly brief cameo"
25th May 2007 09:32 AM
gimmekeef Arghhhhhhhhh...he's done it mateys!.....Gold Rings On Him and pieces of 8 all around....
25th May 2007 09:55 AM
gimmekeef Heres a nice summary with 4-5 reviews and comments.Keith gets mixed reviews...

http://www.accessatlanta.com/movies/movies/etc/viewMovie.jspd?movieId=3001
25th May 2007 11:14 AM
Bitch Q: I saw one of the other Pirate movies but I cant remember if it was 1 or 2. Do you have to see the first 2 Pirate movies to know whats going on in Pirate 3?

Fvckin way to go KEEF! Add movie star to the long list of accomplishments!
25th May 2007 11:48 AM
MidnightRambler How about someone bring their little digital camera and film the 4 minutes that he's in it...for those who aren't gonna see the movie?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm?
25th May 2007 01:21 PM
gimmekeef
quote:
MidnightRambler wrote:
How about someone bring their little digital camera and film the 4 minutes that he's in it...for those who aren't gonna see the movie?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm?

Like the Seinfeld episode with Kramer taping movies with a handheld?..Good idea...
25th May 2007 02:36 PM
MidnightRambler
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:

Like the Seinfeld episode with Kramer taping movies with a handheld?..Good idea...

Yeah, but don't get caught! I was once at a movie...well it was a preview screening--and the attendant during the movie watched the audience through night vision goggles for any funny bidness...
[Edited by MidnightRambler]
25th May 2007 02:38 PM
Joey
quote:
FotiniD wrote:

He's dark, he's nasty, he's menacing - what the hell, he's Keith. Now all you go out and watch the movie so we can discuss details about it

I am now so excited that I am typing this with my nipples .
25th May 2007 02:55 PM
FotiniD
quote:
MidnightRambler wrote:
How about someone bring their little digital camera and film the 4 minutes that he's in it...for those who aren't gonna see the movie?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm?

Yeah, it's weird that it hasn't surfaced yet.
Same delay as with the premiere videos. Either that, or I'm getting too anxious
25th May 2007 03:02 PM
texile
quote:
pdog wrote:
thanks...
Mick is probably pissed, Keith is in a movie that people actually go to see....

yeah, and that's hilarious.
my only question is:
will keith scare the kids?
25th May 2007 03:20 PM
gimmekeef Someone told me he flubs the intro to Brown Sugar on his turtle guitar?
25th May 2007 04:11 PM
MidnightRambler
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
Someone told me he flubs the intro to Brown Sugar on his turtle guitar?

hahaha

...but I read that you wouldn't notice the flub because chuck pops up behind him and plays over Keith!
[Edited by MidnightRambler]
25th May 2007 05:12 PM
riffkeither i saw the movie wednesday, Keith is great but they gave him a voice in french very strange , but anyway Johnny just carry the movie on his shoulders and when Keith appears everybody was saying " yeah it's keith richards the rolling stones woahhhhhh!!!!! so nice yeah he's really cool!!"i was surprising by the kind of reaction of people , they really enjoy to see him like an old friend.
It's a great beggining for him, maybe the Jag will be play in the next "star wars" or "Ocean 20th "to do the same ?
25th May 2007 09:32 PM
Brainbell Jangler I haven't seen the film yet. The local paper ("The Oregonian") panned it, but the final paragraph of the review will be of interest here:

"Grudging credit is due to some of the special effects and, especially, to Keith Richards, the only one among all this prattling mob who knows that less is more. Of course, he's granted a mere 90 seconds of screen time before the film succumbs once again to its congenital pointlessness. The pang of regret you feel at his departure is the sole emotion this mess ever manages to stir."
25th May 2007 09:37 PM
Brainbell Jangler
quote:
Jumping Jack wrote:

'Pirates': More Is Less
By John Hartl, Film critic, MSNBC

The freshest touch here is the introduction of Keith Richards (the acknowledged inspiration for Depp's performance) as Sparrow's father, Capt. Teague. He drops by for a few minutes to give Sparrow advice about survival, and he has a memorably eloquent response to his son's question, "How's Mum?" If you take a bathroom break, you may miss his big scene entirely, but he turns up later for a curtain call.

He had to put a reference to "bathroom break" in the paragraph about Keith's performance, didn't he?
25th May 2007 09:43 PM
Heads Is Tails My wife and I saw the movie tonight and Keith was awesome! I couldn't help but let out a "Keeeeef!" I loved the smile at the end, too. :-)

I also thought it was the best of the three flicks, to boot. If there's a fourth, they definitely need MORE Keith!
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)