ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

Happy 66th Birthday Charlie!"
"Don’t ever call me your fucking drummer! You’re my fucking singer!"
(Charlie to Mick, Amsterdam, mid-80's)
© 1965 Jeri Holloway (Web Premier of this picture tonight)
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Back in the old days Return to archive
24th May 2007 08:22 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Back in the old days
By Sam Bari
Jamestown Press
May 24,2007

You can't beat a system you can't understand

The term, "old days," has different meanings to each generation. The definition is usually determined by the age of the speaker. For instance, people in their forties and fifties don't remember before rock 'n' roll. Why? Because rock 'n' roll was already at its peak when they were born.

The popular music genre was going down in the history books as the most inventive and major cultural influence of all time. The legends of rock were living icons that defined the way we dressed and styled our hair to the way we thought. Rock 'n' roll was not a by-product of the invention of electronic instruments; it was a worldwide movement that restructured the order of society. It was a cultural happening that took years to develop.

Those of us who were around to see the rock 'n' roll era take shape think it was an incredible period. It was the "old days." Those who were born into the established rock culture and take it for granted, the beginning of rock 'n' roll is just history.

My father talked about the "old days" as being before jet planes and television. Les Paul was in his early teens back then and had yet to make the term "electric guitar" a household word. My parents saw the atomic bomb as a new invention that was intended to be used to save the world. Now, atomic weapons are perceived quite differently.

Their parents saw a world that would be described as unlivable by today's standards. Ask any teenager if they can dispose of their cell phone and function well in a household where everybody shares one telephone that requires dialing and waiting for a party line to clear. They will just look at you as if you are delusional and come from another planet. They don't even know what a party line is.

However, that is not the case in much of the world. We often forget that we are in a highly industrialized society and that many people on this planet have never experienced a conversation on a telephone of any kind. That is difficult to imagine for those of us born in 20th and 21st century America, or any other modern culture.

The last 75-years have been more inventive than any time in history, with more modern conveniences and advances in technology than ever before. It's surprising how technology has continued to develop at such a breathtaking pace. New products on today's market are obsolete the day they become available in stores. The computer industry is a prime example of instant obsolescence.

Advancements in technology will continue for as long as Madison Avenue can create a perceived need and inventors have an imagination. Technology rarely digresses. It moves forward at breakneck speed. That being said, let us take a moment to look at the cultural differences in our society from generation to generation.

Those of us who formed the rock 'n' roll culture of the fifties and sixties were perceived by our parents and grandparents as rebellious and irresponsible, with no respect for authority, decency and wholesome values.

We were rebellious, without a doubt. We questioned authority figures who used their positions of power for manipulative purposes and personal gain. For instance, in today's government, a J. Edgar Hoover of FBI fame could never exist. He had a position of power in the government that could not be questioned. Now, that would not be tolerated.

We questioned everything from politics to ethics and morals. We redefined our freedoms and rights, and created watchdog organizations to make sure that our rights were not violated - ever. We even questioned ambition and the distribution of wealth. The days of the flower children, hippies and communes, though long gone, embraced a simpler life that appreciated nature and minimized consumption and waste.

The hippie culture was more relaxed and advocated fun and the pleasures that the world and nature had to offer as opposed to the rigid work ethic and ambition of our parents. Now, the proverbial pendulum is swinging the other way, and the generations following the hippies are experiencing the perils of competing in a society bent on accumulating personal wealth, while religious fanaticism and intolerance of diversity is being felt around the globe.

The most noted change is that the children and grandchildren of the founders of the rock 'n' roll movement that freed the world from oppressive fanatics criticize us for our questionable work ethics, morals and lack of responsibility. Usually, every generation criticizes the next for not living the way they should. This generation, it's the other way around. It's just another reason for believing that we live in a system we'll never understand.

24th May 2007 09:16 AM
mojoman You know in the old days
When a young man was a strong man
All the people they'd step back
When a young man walked by.........
24th May 2007 09:51 AM
Lord Homosex When I saw thread's title I thought it referred to the early days of the net. It was wild in the first years. Took a while.
24th May 2007 12:11 PM
guitarman53 I'm glad I Grew up in the 60's/early 70's, it was like a magical time, that was "My Generation" I grew up with a lot of the classic rock albums that are now considered that, I remember when they came out & I seen a lot of classic rock bands live, a lot of younger people have said they wish they were around in that time.
24th May 2007 06:38 PM
fireontheplatter why do i feel so old all of a sudden?
24th May 2007 08:49 PM
killerbitch Age is only relevant if you are a cheese. Which means of course you are not
old. Maybe old is in the mind of the beholder.
24th May 2007 10:24 PM
pdog People who talk about the old days are usually wearing diapers and looking for lost kittens....
I'm living in the now of rock and roll, although I've gambled and lost a few times with farts... oh well.
25th May 2007 12:54 AM
Dan 1991-1994
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)