ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

Happy 66th Birthday Charlie!"
"Don’t ever call me your fucking drummer! You’re my fucking singer!"
(Charlie to Mick, Amsterdam, mid-80's)
© 1965 Jeri Holloway (Web Premier of this picture tonight)
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Q re the Kinks Return to archive
23rd May 2007 09:10 AM
Lord Homosex I never could get into the Kinks, right? I have a feeling that I am wrong. What would some good albums to check out. I'm not sure about their supposed big one; something about the "green village somethng.."
23rd May 2007 09:15 AM
Joey
quote:
Lord Homosex wrote:

I never could get into the Kinks, right? I have a feeling that I am wrong.

You raise a very interesting and salient point there Lord Homosex .....................

Pete Townshend once claimed that Ray Davies was a better writer than himself --- I wholeheartedly disagree !!!!

'kins , Est 1999
23rd May 2007 10:13 AM
Maxlugar
quote:
Lord Homosex wrote:
I never could get into the Kinks, right? I have a feeling that I am wrong. What would some good albums to check out. I'm not sure about their supposed big one; something about the "green village somethng.."

Don't start with Village Green Preservation Society. It sucks harder than Joey in the back room at the Brazen Head.

Go right to Muswell Hillbillies and/or Arthur. When you're done with them get One For the Road.

23rd May 2007 10:22 AM
guitarman53 I like The kinks in the 60's, Jagger said in a Rolling Stone Interview that Ray Davies was the only other writer that was writing about social issues (A Well respected Man/Dead End Street/Dedicated follower of fashion/Sunny Afternoon, etc) at the time like the Stones did.
23rd May 2007 10:27 AM
Nasty Habits Village Green does not suck, although it is trés fey. To get the music any punch you have to hear it in mono.

Face to Face or Something Else are better than it is, though, and I like them better than Arthur or Muswell Hillbillies, too. And to tell you the truth, if I were you I'd start with Kinks Kronikles because it highlights all these albums we are talking about, eksept Muswell Hillbillies.

Max, why doesn't Joey steal "The Wall is just warmed over Arthur" anymore? Or does he not know that's a Kinks reference?

I was very disappointed in him.

23rd May 2007 11:15 AM
Maxlugar
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:
Village Green does not suck, although it is trés fey. To get the music any punch you have to hear it in mono.

Face to Face or Something Else are better than it is, though, and I like them better than Arthur or Muswell Hillbillies, too. And to tell you the truth, if I were you I'd start with Kinks Kronikles because it highlights all these albums we are talking about, eksept Muswell Hillbillies.

Max, why doesn't Joey steal "The Wall is just warmed over Arthur" anymore? Or does he not know that's a Kinks reference?

I was very disappointed in him.

Well maybe if someone were to go into hearing "Village" thinking it sucked, they might enjoy it more. I went into it hearing how great it was and thought it really did suck. I gave it a good three plays one weekend and started to like it only a little more. I only looked forward to hearing Autum Almanac and Days. It hasn't been played since.

Not sure why Joey has dropped my Arthur quote. He's currently making a run with my "Sparky" bit, so he may be a little winded right now. Proably re-packaging my Terry Shiavo bit as we speak. Imitation! Flattery!
23rd May 2007 11:46 AM
Joey
quote:
Lord Homosex wrote:
I never could get into the Kinks, right? I have a feeling that I am wrong. What would some good albums to check out. I'm not sure about their supposed big one; something about the "green village somethng.."

Lord Homosex .......................

The Wall was just warmed over Arthur ( .... not the movie )

Snuggles !
23rd May 2007 11:47 AM
pagey666.6 The Kinks are one of the most underrated bands of all time. Village Green is a classic album, (although it is fairly fey
as someone pointed out, but still amazing). Arthur is brilliant, Something Else is great, Lola is a great album, Muswell Hillbillies is fantastic, the Preservation albums were fantastic (and very underrated to boot), Everybody's In Show Biz is decent (it has Celluloid Heroes, one of the greatest songs ever), and Give The People What They Want is another great album. The first few Kinks albums are pretty bad - trying to do blues stuff and they're not terribly great at it compared to the Stones or the Yardbirds (the singles are great though; the covers are pretty wretched). A good starting point would be Kronikles mentioned by someone above where you get the singles.

I've always thought that Between The Buttons was the Stones trying to do a Ray Davies....and they do it pretty good too!!! It has a lot of Kink-sian themes such as the social scene and a lot of boppy music hall type songs that the Kinks were fast making their hallmark.

Ray Davies was one of the best songwriters ever.... and as much as I like the Who, I think that Davies was better than Townshend. (Tommy and Arthur were released within a month of each other in '69.....for my money Arthur is the better album because it's not as long and has less filler on it. VGPS came out in '68 and would have gotten the credit for the first "rock opera" if it wasn't so 'music hall" and folky).

Plus, the Kinks are very "British".....their music and lyrics were always about and focused on British life and situations......possibly one of the reasons that they never really "broke" America like the Stones or the Beatles. The Stones and Beatles always had an element of America in their sound (the blues covers etc) whereas the Kinks (after the first few lousy ablums) focused almost entirely on British concerns.
23rd May 2007 11:55 AM
mojoman
quote:
guitarman53 wrote:
I like The kinks in the 60's, Jagger said in a Rolling Stone Interview that Ray Davies was the only other writer that was writing about social issues (A Well respected Man/Dead End Street/Dedicated follower of fashion/Sunny Afternoon, etc) at the time like the Stones did.

the kinks rock
23rd May 2007 12:29 PM
duck
23rd May 2007 12:53 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
Maxlugar wrote:

Well maybe if someone were to go into hearing "Village" thinking it sucked, they might enjoy it more. I went into it hearing how great it was and thought it really did suck. I gave it a good three plays one weekend and started to like it only a little more. I only looked forward to hearing Autum Almanac and Days. It hasn't been played since.

If I still retain credibility w/your listening processes, might I suggest giving special attention to "All of My Friends Were There", in which Ray Davies gets drunk, goes on TV, sings a song, makes a total ass of himself, is humiliated, and then discovers it's all right with his true friends?

I shall die for Monica!

23rd May 2007 01:04 PM
Maxlugar
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:

If I still retain credibility w/your listening processes, might I suggest giving special attention to "All of My Friends Were There", in which Ray Davies gets drunk, goes on TV, sings a song, makes a total ass of himself, is humiliated, and then discovers it's all right with his true friends?

That song cuts too close to the whole Postin' process. So...

And Nasty, why would you NOT retain credibility with my listening process??? You have for many years been stimulating my Cochlea region long and hard. My Cochlea yearns for more Nasty!

23rd May 2007 01:12 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
Maxlugar wrote:

That song cuts too close to the whole Postin' process. So...

And Nasty, why would you NOT retain credibility with my listening process??? You have for many years been stimulating my Cochlea region long and hard. My Cochlea yearns for more Nasty!

That was a peculiar phrasing, wasn't it? Chalk it up to rustiness after my months long self-imposted hiatus.

But spring is here . . . and a young man's thoughts turn to postin'!

23rd May 2007 01:19 PM
Maxlugar
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:

Chalk it up to rustiness after my months long self-imposted hiatus.

But spring is here . . . and a young man's thoughts turn to postin'!

Your ass aint sat on The Couch in long time. The indentation is still there though. Your return shall coincide with Reggae Week III I'd imagine.
23rd May 2007 01:28 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
Maxlugar wrote:

Your ass aint sat on The Couch in long time. The indentation is still there though. Your return shall coincide with Reggae Week III I'd imagine.

We shall discuss the incredible greatness of Owen Grey!

23rd May 2007 01:31 PM
Joey " You have for many years been stimulating my .... region long and hard ... yearns for more Nasty! "

23rd May 2007 01:35 PM
Maxlugar
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:

We shall discuss the incredible greatness of Owen Grey!

See? You're having fun already! Can't wait!

Can we discuss the woman who sings that dirty song that kinda sounds like the Little Drummer Boy on one of those comps you sent me? Who is that? She good!
23rd May 2007 01:36 PM
Maxlugar
quote:
Joey wrote:
" You have for many years been stimulating my .... region long and hard ... yearns for more Nasty! "

You see gay in everything don't you? Sometimes a Cochlea is just a Cochlea!

M to the ACKY
23rd May 2007 01:45 PM
Nasty Habits I believe you are referring to "Wreck a Buddy" by the Soul Sisters, fronted by Nora Dean. She also did that "Barbwire in His Underpants" song.

"Wreck a Buddy" is the female version of Prince Busters' "Wreck a Pum Pum" . As you know from your past education, every pum is the same pum pum.

Is it me or is Joey jealous?

23rd May 2007 01:56 PM
Maxlugar
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:
I believe you are referring to "Wreck a Buddy" by the Soul Sisters, fronted by Nora Dean. She also did that "Barbwire in His Underpants" song.

"Wreck a Buddy" is the female version of Prince Busters' "Wreck a Pum Pum" . As you know from your past education, every pum is the same pum pum.

Is it me or is Joey jealous?

Oh, Wreck a Buddy! Yes that's it! Genius!

We shall discuss this Soul Sisters thing in detail at Reggae Week III!

Yes, Joey is jealous and has a rather unhealthy interest in me. Creepy, no?
23rd May 2007 02:33 PM
Dan The Rockpalast 82 DVD totally rules.
23rd May 2007 03:49 PM
pdog The Kinks ar e great you bastards!
23rd May 2007 04:47 PM
Joey
quote:
pdog wrote:
The Kinks ar e great you bastards!

The Rolling Stones & The WHO are much better .
23rd May 2007 04:49 PM
pdog
quote:
Joey wrote:

The Rolling Stones & The WHO are much better .

It's not a competition bumblefuck!

23rd May 2007 04:53 PM
mojoman why does it hurt when i read this thread?
24th May 2007 12:10 AM
Zack The Kink Kronikles is definitely the place to start.

As for albums, I love Lola Vs. Powerman and the Moneygoround, though it's not held in that high esteem by the kink kognescenti.

From 1966-71, you just can't go wrong. It's all down hill from there, I'm afraid, despite some shining moment.
24th May 2007 01:14 AM
Brainbell Jangler I agree that Kink Kronicles is a good place to start. I would then get Greatest Hits for their early stuff: You Really Got Me, A Well Respected Man, Sunny Afternoon, etc.

After that, I suggest 1)Lola vs. Powerman and the Money-Go-Round, 2)Arthur, 3)Muswell Hillbillies and 4)Something Else. Then try Village Green Preservation Society.
24th May 2007 09:58 AM
Lord Homosex Damn, how many freakin album did they put out?
Is Kronikles like a Big Hits?
Thnx for the pointers.
24th May 2007 10:23 AM
pagey666.6 They put out around 20 albums excluding compilations - of which there are quite a few. The best "samplers" are
"Kink Kronikles" which covers '64-70. There has been dozens of "best of/Greatest Hits" cds released from this era, but Kronikles is still the best of the lot with good good song choices and lengthy (some of the other cds have 10 songs of realy obvious choices and the sound quality is not great - real cheap rip offs
"Celluloid Heroes" which covers the RCA years ('70-75) but is not really a great sampler because it is a bit scattershot, features remixes, and leaves out several great songs from a underrated period in the Kinks history. However, as far as I know, it's really the only sampler out there from that era.
"Come Dancing" which does a good job of compiling the best of the Arista years ('77-86). These cds should get you started and give you a decent overview of the different eras of the band

There is a new cd out within the last few years called "The Ultimate Collection" on the Sanctuary label. It's pretty good, but has a few odd choices on it with a couple of underwhelming b-sides and not really good choices on some of the later stuff. I'm not really killed on the remastering either....it seems a bit distorted to my ears, but might be easier to find than Celluloid Heroes or Kink Kronikles. Track this one down if you can't find Kronikles.

After that, you could start with Arthur ('69), VGPS ('68)
Muswell Hillbillies ('71), Something Else ('67) Everybodys In Showbiz (one album studio and one live from the tour supporting MH, '72) One For The Road (a great live album from the late 70's) and then try the Preservation Act albums - they are a bit long but have several great gems amongst the filler, Volume 1 is from '73 and Volume 2 is from '74. The late 70's albums (Sleepwalker, Misfits and Low Budget) are more focused on "rock" than the "classic" era Kinks, and have some good songs. (Plus, listen to "Catch Me Now I'm Falling" where the riff from Jumping Jack Flash is completely swiped!!!!!) Give The People What They Want is a great album from '81. And for added amusement, read "X-Ray", Ray Davies' autobiography which tells some really amusing stories (and is a completely original method of doing an autobiography.

And incidentally, the Kinks drummer, Mick Avory was for a brief period befeore Charlie, the Stones drummer. And in the mid 60's, Dave Davies and Brian Jones did some hanging out. So there are a few connections between the 2 bands.
24th May 2007 11:47 AM
MrPleasant
quote:
Lord Homosex wrote:

Is Kronikles like a Big Hits?

Yes. Sort of.

http://www.amazon.com/Kink-Kronikles-Kinks/dp/B000002KOZ

[Edited by MrPleasant]
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)