ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

Happy 66th Birthday Charlie!"
"Don’t ever call me your fucking drummer! You’re my fucking singer!"
(Charlie to Mick, Amsterdam, mid-80's)
© 1965 Jeri Holloway (Web Premier of this picture tonight)
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Best '72 Boot Return to archive
22nd May 2007 01:26 PM
kovach Which has the best, most professional, sound quality? What's the latest versions of these?

I've heard recommended "You Can't Do That (VGP-314), "Keep Your Motor Running", "Very Ancient Thank You Kindly", and a Sister Morphine release of a 72 compilation.

Anything new out there? Anything better than the above mentioned ones? If not, which of those are best?

Thanks!
22nd May 2007 02:11 PM
Poplar
Said it before, I'll say it again:

Heading for an Overload

For my money, it's the best sounding version of the Brussles show. Keith's guitar is all up in your face. Perhaps the best boot ever.
22nd May 2007 02:24 PM
Chuck
quote:
Poplar wrote:

Said it before, I'll say it again:

Heading for an Overload

For my money, it's the best sounding version of the Brussles show. Keith's guitar is all up in your face. Perhaps the best boot ever.

That's not '72.
22nd May 2007 02:54 PM
gimmekeef Yeah Brussels was 73....but same basic era and tour....Philly Special I think is 72 and very good too...
[Edited by gimmekeef]
22nd May 2007 03:26 PM
pdog Anyone of the Philly 72 versions... There's a few... That's my favorite...
There's a Sister Morphine release, I'm forgetting the name, that's the best...
22nd May 2007 05:02 PM
fireontheplatter i have one called rainy day in birmingham and liver tha you'll ever be.
if you would like copies just pm me.
22nd May 2007 08:55 PM
Chuck
quote:
fireontheplatter wrote:
i have one called rainy day in birmingham and liver tha you'll ever be.
if you would like copies just pm me.

Not '72.

22nd May 2007 09:33 PM
Chuck
quote:
kovach wrote:
Which has the best, most professional, sound quality? What's the latest versions of these?

I've heard recommended "You Can't Do That (VGP-314), "Keep Your Motor Running", "Very Ancient Thank You Kindly", and a Sister Morphine release of a 72 compilation.

Anything new out there? Anything better than the above mentioned ones? If not, which of those are best?

Thanks!

From this site:

:http://www.faqs.org/faqs/music/rollingstones-faq/part2/

Various live '72-'73; 75 min; 8.5 s; "Very Ancient, Thank You Kindly, American Tour 1972"

This is an interesting release. Half of it is close-to-finished mixes of the Lost Live Album, the other half is rarely performed '72-73 songs, all available on other unauthorized releases. Sound on the Lost Live Album tracks is noticeably better than on "Philadelphia Special" 1 or 2 though the sound is a little thin or tinny. There are noticeable vocal overdubs in places. Main problem is these tracks run substantially fast, about 6%. Some of these tracks were previously released on the "Keep Your Motor Runnin'" LP, but there are more here, and in stereo instead of mono. That LP is still the only way to get "You Can't..." from the LLA, missing for some reason here. All tracks recorded in Fort Worth/Philly/Houston except: Rocks Off--Charlotte (audience recording); Dead Flowers--Ladies and Gents soundtrack; Ventilator Blues, Torn and Frayed, and Loving Cup--Vancouver; band intros--Pittsburgh; Don't Lie to Me--Fort Worth (unmixed soundboard recording ala "Philadelphia Special"); It's All Over Now--Hawaii '73. (Note that similar good quality '72 tracks are on "Wingless Angels;" see Exile outtakes above.)

==============

I'm not familiar with the Sister Morphine compilation but,
from what I've heard, the best quality '72 recording is 'You Can't Do That Baby.'
[Edited by Chuck]
23rd May 2007 07:14 AM
Mahatma Kane Jeeves Welcome To New York
23rd May 2007 07:52 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
Mahatma Kane Jeeves wrote:
Welcome To New York

the MSG show with uptight and bye bye jonnhy kicks ass!
23rd May 2007 08:57 AM
Lord Homosex "Keep the Motor Running" is a great sister Morphine release. I think that is the Philly show.
Correction: the Philly shows from SM are called "Deuces Run Wild" (both dates 20 and 21)
[Edited by Lord Homosex]
23rd May 2007 09:04 AM
Nasty Habits I like Very Ancient, Thank You Kindly - didn't know that it ran fast.

For my money you cannot top the TMOQ LP of Welcome to New York with the William Stout cover. Sounds better than any of the CDs from that show I've heard, and even though it's not complete, every second is genius . . .

Best 70s Love in Vain, most train wreck rockin' Bye Bye Johnny, and possibly most energetic Rambler ever (the bridge back to the fast section - with Jagger screaming "PARTY IT UP!" or whatever, over and over, and Nicky's piano at its most tripletic - is unbelievable.)

23rd May 2007 09:13 AM
Lord Homosex Nasty Habits, do you know if the show you mean is from the 25th or the 26th (Jagger's b'day party)?
23rd May 2007 09:15 AM
kovach Thanks everyone, I found a download of You Can't Do That Baby that I just burned and it sounds awesome. It was 256 mbps mp3. If anyone knows an even better source for that, please let me know!
23rd May 2007 10:17 AM
Nasty Habits
quote:
Lord Homosex wrote:
Nasty Habits, do you know if the show you mean is from the 25th or the 26th (Jagger's b'day party)?

It's definitely from Jagger's Birthday.

Here's a link to an 'article' about Welcome to New York/MSG '72 from Chrism42's (I'm sure many of you actually know this fella, but I don't) wonderful and obsessive website tracking down sources and histories of various important live Stones recordings - complete with a nice ass MP3 of Bye Bye Johnny that plays while you read!

http://www.rollingstonesnet.com/Welcome_To_NY.htm
23rd May 2007 04:24 PM
polytoxic
quote:
pdog wrote:
Anyone of the Philly 72 versions... There's a few... That's my favorite...
There's a Sister Morphine release, I'm forgetting the name, that's the best...

Deuces Still Wild, I think it is. Swinging PIg's Philadelphia Special is also great.
24th May 2007 05:47 AM
throbby Check out the Genuine Masters version of Ladies and Gentlemen. Very nice.
24th May 2007 09:58 AM
kovach Wow, even though it's not 72, I downloaded the Brussels Affair Definitive Edition, awesome high quality audio!

I only downloaded disc 1 since that was the show so widely praised as the best ever recorded (and although I've only played about half of it so far, I see why!).
24th May 2007 03:03 PM
axl79 Philadelphia Special is the best one, full engines!
follow by Wellcome to NY , classic Bootleg.
24th May 2007 06:54 PM
tumbling dice
quote:
axl79 wrote:
Philadelphia Special is the best one, full engines!
follow by Wellcome to NY , classic Bootleg.

I agree..
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)