ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

Happy 66th Birthday Charlie!"
"Don’t ever call me your fucking drummer! You’re my fucking singer!"
(Charlie to Mick, Amsterdam, mid-80's)
© 1965 Jeri Holloway (Web Premier of this picture tonight)
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Some New Rockbands? Return to archive Page: 1 2
18th May 2007 10:10 AM
Lord Homosex I know there have been threads on this topic, but long gone. I am trying to find some new acts to follow; to get onto some new exciting bands. Obviously I dig the Stones and Faces etc. Kings of leon I like a lot. What others can you guys suggest?
18th May 2007 10:39 AM
EELPIE ARCADE FIRE
18th May 2007 11:00 AM
Saint Sway The Izzys
18th May 2007 12:18 PM
Dan Peeping Tom (greatest CD EVER)
Artimus Pyledriver
Charley Horse
Muse
18th May 2007 12:21 PM
Sir Stonesalot If you like The Stones and The Faces, then try out these:

The Novaks
The Sights
The Deadstring Brothers
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
The Detroit Cobras
18th May 2007 12:21 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
Dan wrote:
Peeping Tom (greatest CD EVER)
Artimus Pyledriver
Charley Horse
Muse

lemme guess... rap metal bands in clown makeup, right?

Who cares... soley base on your recomendation, I'm not going to listen to these bands and just assume that they suck beyond words
18th May 2007 12:36 PM
Dan
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:

lemme guess... rap metal bands in clown makeup, right?

Who cares... soley base on your recomendation, I'm not going to listen to these bands and just assume that they suck beyond words

I'm more Rock 'N' Roll than anyone here except for maybe Sir Stonesalot and PDog.
18th May 2007 12:44 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
Dan wrote:

I'm more Rock 'N' Roll than anyone here except for maybe Sir Stonesalot and PDog.

Ian Billen knows real R&R better than you do

no one here likes crap bands from metal sludge
18th May 2007 01:01 PM
Dan
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:

Ian Billen knows real R&R better than you do

no one here likes crap bands from metal sludge

I purposely avoided posting any metal bands. But that's funny coming from a guy who's favorite band is a cover band. Cover bands aint rock n roll either, they are background music for getting a buzz on and picking up chicks. It helps to pick a cover band that actually draws chicks though. Nobody really takes it seriously as music.
18th May 2007 01:07 PM
Dan
quote:
Lord Homosex wrote:
I know there have been threads on this topic, but long gone. I am trying to find some new acts to follow; to get onto some new exciting bands. Obviously I dig the Stones and Faces etc. Kings of leon I like a lot. What others can you guys suggest?

Scott Deluxe Drake has a new solo album with Jeff Fieldhouse on guitar. I haven't heard it yet but I am trying to track it down. He never put out a bad album though.

Beasts Of Bourbon, not really new but obsure and resurrected. New album is amazing and has great production that sounds just like a record. I think it's only available in Australia though unless you wanna spend some big bucks.

Tex, Don & Charlie if you like alt country. Didn't even know they existed until I downloaded something off Dime. Will look for the CD but again probably only available in Australia.

Whitey Kirst who opened for the Stooges was really good but it was more of a grungy power trio. The band might also be called Web Of The Spider but I haven't had a chance to go digging around.

Mad Juana. Chick singer and odd instruments but really good stuff. Sammi Yaffa from Hanoi Rocks/New York Dolls/Jetboy's other band.

You can hear both on MySpace.
18th May 2007 01:18 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
If you like The Stones and The Faces, then try out these:

The Deadstring Brothers

good stuff. They just passed thru NY opening for Matt Mays & El Torpedo

SS, if you like Deadstring Brothers, I think you'll dig Leroy Justice. Singers sound eerily similiar. Leroy Justice does the country thing up like Deadstring Bros too but have a little more 'bourbon rock' swagger to them.

Detroit Cobras are doing the Siren Festival this year with NY Dolls. Coney Island is a bit of a trip from PA but its a FREE fest & guarantees to be rockin.
18th May 2007 01:47 PM
Throwaway New Heathens I like, found out about them from this very board not too long ago. North Miss All Stars arent exactly brang new but play some good blues/jam rock and do a nice "Stray Cat Blues."
18th May 2007 02:33 PM
Sir Stonesalot Sway...I know all about Leroy Justice. I pointed them to a few cool Philly venues. Unfortunately when they played said venue...I couldn't get off work to go see 'em. They had a guesty for me and everything. I was bummed. Same sorta thing happened with The Raveonettes...they gave me guesties and I couldn't go...same night as The Stooges in DC.

I'm not worried about it though, I'll catch 'em both eventually.
18th May 2007 03:17 PM
deuce 1990s.

http://www.1990s.tv/index1.php

Have a listen to You're Supposed to Be My Friend
18th May 2007 03:59 PM
pdog I hate rock and roll, how about a good polka....
18th May 2007 04:03 PM
Fiji Joe
quote:
Dan wrote:

Metal head please...you better check yourself

19th May 2007 04:04 PM
Lord Homosex Thanks a bunch for all the turnons. I know several of them but many I don't. I got something to look for. Thnx again.
21st May 2007 06:40 PM
Dan
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:

Metal head please...you better check yourself

I am working on my list of shows I attended in the past 23 years to be posted here in about 6 years, then you will rue the day.
21st May 2007 07:19 PM
pdog I saw DBT's Dirt Underneath show.... I'm a very lucky person to have witnessed what will be forever known as a great and rare rock and roll event...
22nd May 2007 08:59 AM
Lord Homosex Do the Truckers have a new album out?
I have tix for BRMC in a couple weeks; HAD tix for Arcade Fire and forgot when they came to town; same with Kings of Leon. I need secretary.
22nd May 2007 10:02 AM
Nasty Habits Wild Billy Childish and the MBE's - Punk Rock at the British Legion Hall - Best Billy Childish album in 15 years! If anyone can top "Joe Strummer's Grave" this year I will happily rock and roll to it.

The Hex Dispensers - exellent Texas 3 piece punk rock

My fave working band is the King Khan and BBQ Show

The new Detroit Cobras suhhhhhhhhhhks . . . Southern Culture put out a much better covers record this year, and Mary Weiss put out a better record with Greg Cartwright on it. If you're going to buy Detroit Cobras, buy Mink Rabbit or Rat.

I haven't heard the new Beasts of Bourbon yet but their first album, The Axeman's Jazz (1983 but new to you!), is essential listening for anyone who loves the common ground the Stones and the Cramps trod. . .

23rd May 2007 12:19 PM
Sir Stonesalot Agreed on the new Cobras, Nasty. This one lacks...I dunno...the wild abandon of Mink, Love, or even Baby. Not even close to being iPod worthy.

I've been trying to locate a copy of that Wild Billy Childish & MBEs record....I guess now I gotta be on a mission.
23rd May 2007 12:59 PM
Nasty Habits Let me know if you fail to locate one - I can probably help you out. Also, try to find the Hex Dispensers on your search.

Check out Are You An Assassin? on Myspace - not everyone at RO's cuppa, but it should kick your shiny metal ass . . .

http://www.myspace.com/thehexdispensers

23rd May 2007 01:07 PM
Saint Sway best keyboard player I've ever heard - on any planet - was the origial bassist on the early Detroit Cobra records

speaking of that old, weird dude.... ck out Bulldog
23rd May 2007 01:34 PM
Nasty Habits Sway, are you talking about Eddie Harsch?

As I recall he wasn't actually bassist until their second album . . .

23rd May 2007 01:52 PM
Dan I saw the Detroit Cobras once but it's a total blur. I will try to listen back in the next few days. I think it was in the middle of a 4 shows in 3 days across 3 counties weekend.
23rd May 2007 03:57 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:
Sway, are you talking about Eddie Harsch?

Of course.

Here's a recent photo of him. The photographer really captured his good side.

23rd May 2007 04:04 PM
pdog
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Agreed on the new Cobras, Nasty. This one lacks...I dunno...the wild abandon of Mink, Love, or even Baby. Not even close to being iPod worthy.

I've been trying to locate a copy of that Wild Billy Childish & MBEs record....I guess now I gotta be on a mission.

Glad I'm not the only one wondering what happened... Tied But True is kinda like that show we saw in Philly, just not in sync....
23rd May 2007 04:14 PM
polytoxic Check out Radio Moscow. They take their cues a bit more from Cream and Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac than the Stones per se but these kids are allright.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AW2I...related&search=
23rd May 2007 04:30 PM
pdog
quote:
polytoxic wrote:
Check out Radio Moscow. They take their cues a bit more from Cream and Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac than the Stones per se but these kids are allright.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AW2I...related&search=

I have a copy... Took me a few weeks, not one store in SF carried it, had to get it on Amazon....
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)