ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Thanks Nico
Musicland Studios, Munich November 1973 with Giorgio Moroder
Đ Pop Magazine Germany - with thanks to Nico Zentgraf
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Fistfull of dynamite,The movie!! Return to archive
May 26th, 2005 01:25 PM
marko What a fantastic movie,i didnīt remember it was this GOOD.
Leones&Morricones work together was,simply perfect.
U donīt need too much words or lines as an actor,when theres guys like these behind.
Where all this kind of talent has gone?
May 26th, 2005 01:40 PM
mac_daddy have you ever seen any of akira kurosawa's films - alot of those spaghetti westerns are based, in no small part, on those films...

____

too bad you are not making it out the west coast this time, marko. someday...

for my part, i havent been to finland in 20 years.
May 26th, 2005 01:56 PM
MrPleasant Especially Yojimbo (1961) and Sanjuro (1962). George Lucas, amongst others, was also tremendously influenced by Kurosawa.

Now it's more like: "where has Lucas's talent gone?".
May 26th, 2005 02:01 PM
Joey
Those are all great movies ......!!!!!

The first two Godfather Films still rank near the top of every " BEST OF POLL " and deservedly so ..............I just pray that today's ( and future ) filmakers do justice to the current Iraqi Quagmire .

Developing .................................

Shiver ................................

Joey " Oliver " Stone ! ™
May 26th, 2005 02:55 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
Joey wrote:

Those are all great movies ......!!!!!

The first two Godfather Films still rank near the top of every " BEST OF POLL " and deservedly so ..............I just pray that today's ( and future ) filmakers do justice to the current Iraqi Quagmire .

Developing .................................

Shiver ................................

that will certainly be interesting to see...

yojimbo is wonderful, as is the seven samurai...

i also really enjoyed ran, but that might have been because it was the first one i saw in the theater. absolutely stunning...

if you are looking to catch these kurosawa films now - seek out the criterion editions - they are worth every penny.
[Edited by mac_daddy]
May 26th, 2005 03:17 PM
MrPleasant
quote:
Joey wrote:

What has happened to Oliver "Alexander" Stone?

Maybe he should return to cocaine, and get his balls back.
May 26th, 2005 03:42 PM
Steamboat Bill, Jr. For my money, Kurosawa's best film is Throne of Blood; not quite as well known as his others, but just as good.

Almost saw Fistful of Dynamite on the big screen last summer, but opted instead for the Man with No Name trilogy.
May 26th, 2005 03:55 PM
FPM C10 I love this thread!

A buddy of mine has a 62" TV with Surround-sound...we've watched just about all of the Kurasawa Criterion disks. Jaw-dropping stuff.

I think films like that can only be made in countries which are or have recently been dictatorships. Easier for a director to get actors to do EXACTLY what they want!

Some of my favorite dictators, um, I mean directors, are Federico Fellini (Italy), Akira Kurasawa(Japan), Fritz Lang and F.W. Murnau (Germany).

[Edited by FPM C10]
May 26th, 2005 03:55 PM
mac_daddy they pretty much are all fantastic - the hidden fortress, high and low, i enjoyed dreams, too (but i know i am likely in the minority there)...

of the spaghetti westerns, i dont know which is my favorite - i enjoy all of them, too - high plains drifter stand out, but so does the good, the bad, and the ugly, and i always thought dynamite was alot fun. fistfull of dollars is basically a retelling of kurosawa's yojimbo (and the magnificent seven is, of course, the hollywood wwii vision of the seven samurai)...

this conversation dovetails nicely into star war... eh, nevermind

May 26th, 2005 04:09 PM
mac_daddy fpm -we posted at the same time, and i didnt get to comment on the image - that is gorgeous. did you capture it yourself..?

man, i wanna go home and have a kurosawa viewing marathon, NOW!!!

(and i love the thread, too)

[Edited by mac_daddy]
May 26th, 2005 04:12 PM
Joey
quote:
MrPleasant wrote:

What has happened to Oliver "Alexander" Stone?

Maybe he should return to cocaine, and get his balls back.

MrPleasant ..........................

In the movie Platoon , whenever the American Troops start fighting amongst each other instead of fighting the enemy ( the Viet Congs ) , Oliver Stone inserts ' hidden LBJ's ' in the dialogue ..... this is most noticeable towards the end of the movie when the character ' Barnes ' ( Tom Berenger ) is standing over ' Chris Taylor ' ( Charlie Sheen ) with a razor blade ready to ' cut ' him when ' Rhah ' ( Francesco Quinn ) brays out , " Don't do it Barnes .......gonna bring you down ... LBJ man ..... eleven years in prison ..... think about it !! ... you'll climb the friggin walls man ..... don't DO IT !!! "

Word .

http://www.allmovie.com/cg/avg.dll?p=avg&sql=1:38327

LBJOEY ! ™
May 26th, 2005 04:12 PM
Steamboat Bill, Jr. I hate to be a nit-picking asshole, but High Plains Drifter isn't a "spaghetti western," Clint made it in the US.

May 26th, 2005 04:25 PM
FPM C10
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:
fpm -we posted at the same time, and i didnt get to comment on the image - that is gorgeous. did you capture it yourself..?

man, i wanna go home and have a kurosawa viewing marathon, NOW!!!

(and i love the thread, too)
[Edited by Akira Kurasawa]

No, I just did a Google image-search for "Throne of Blood". (Hate to give my secrets away - some people seem to think I make all this stuff up myself!)

Have you seen Alex Cox's documentary on Kurasawa, The Last Emperor? It's pretty good.

I didn't have Cox pegged as a devotee of Kurasawa. I'm not really a big fan of his, although I did sort of like Repo Man when it came out.
May 26th, 2005 04:26 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
Steamboat Bill, Jr. wrote:
I hate to be a nit-picking asshole, but High Plains Drifter isn't a "spaghetti western," Clint made it in the US.

it's ok - i won't hold it against you and there is nothing wrong with coming forward with accurate info. thanks for clarifying...

so which were the ones made in italy..? all the rest of them, right..?

[Edited by mac_daddy]
May 26th, 2005 05:27 PM
Steamboat Bill, Jr. Oh there's a shitload of spaghetti westerns out there, most of them aren't very good. As far as Eastwood is concerned, the only spaghetti westerns he made are the three "Dollars" films (Fistful of Dollars, For a Few Dollars More, and The Good, the Bad and the Ugly), Hang 'Em High onwards are all American films (with obvious influences carried over from the spaghettis). Some other well known spaghetti westerns are My Name is Nobody with Henry Fonda, the Trinity films, and the all-time classic Once Upon a Time in the West. Most other spaghetti westerns are pretty forgettable.
[Edited by Steamboat Bill, Jr.]
May 26th, 2005 05:35 PM
mac_daddy ok thanks - i was asking about the eastwood ones...

i didnt realize that those later ones were done in the US. thanks again for the info.
May 27th, 2005 03:45 AM
padre My all-time western favourite is Once Upon a Time in the West.
Just bought the DVD and I really didn't remember how excellent it was! Great score, script, cinematography PLUS I think it has the best female character I've ever seen in westerns, she really kicks butt.
May 27th, 2005 04:37 AM
Bloozehound
quote:
Steamboat Bill, Jr. wrote:
Almost saw Fistful of Dynamite on the big screen last summer, but opted instead for the Man with No Name trilogy.

I am a serious western flick afficianado, and that one has always been one of my personal favs, James Coburn is the cats ass, Stieger too lol

another of my all time favs, even though not true linguini, feels pretty close, it's a great one, plus its got that claudia cardinale chick from Once upon a time...

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)