ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Thanks Nico
Musicland Studios, Munich November 1973 with Giorgio Moroder
© Pop Magazine Germany - with thanks to Nico Zentgraf
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: when did nicky bail, and why..? Return to archive
May 25th, 2005 09:37 PM
mac_daddy he was part of the europe 1973 tour, right..? and then the band did nothing live until 1975 when billy and ollie were in, and nicky was out... or was billy around in 1973..?

and why did he split..? was he asked to leave, or did he bail on his own..? either way, what were the reasons..?

May 25th, 2005 10:01 PM
jpenn11
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:
he was part of the europe 1973 tour, right..? and then the band did nothing live until 1975 when billy and ollie were in, and nicky was out... or was billy around in 1973..?

and why did he split..? was he asked to leave, or did he bail on his own..? either way, what were the reasons..?

With the Stones, one never knows, but he was not on the '73 European tour, just the Australia part. Billy joined for the '73 European tour, as opening act and piano/synth (yecch) accompanist. But Hopkins still did studio stuff with the Stones (famously, TWFNO on IORR, as well as stuff on B&B).

One story:

Hopkins' health problems were the reason for his not wanting to tour with the Stones anymore after the 1973 Australian tour and for the lessening of his work with them in general after 1974. Hopkins did not work on Some Girls. He did work in the late '70s recording with Rod Stewart, Eddie Money, Badfinger, as well as with Bill Wyman. He also appeared as a guest onstage with the Stones at an Anaheim show in 1978, with Bobby Keys.

The Stones rehired Hopkins for parts of Emotional Rescue, and it is likely that some of his playing appears on Tattoo You (possibly the piano on Waiting on a Friend, which was started in 1972). He also worked on Ron Wood's 1 2 3 4 solo album during that period. That marked the end of Hopkins's association with the Stones, however.

[Interesting that his association with the Stones diminished just when his old Jeff Beck Group pal was joining.]

More info: http://www.timeisonourside.com/whydontEK.html#NICKY%20HOPKINS

Presumably, there is also something on this site's Hopkins page (so no need to copy it here), doubtless authoritative on the issue.
[Edited by jpenn11]
May 26th, 2005 12:17 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl I can’t answer 100% sure why but of one thing I’m sure, it was not health problems as those years (1973-1978) were very busy for Nicky, not just studio sessions but touring with other acts, including Jerry Garcia and Joe Cocker.

After the Hawaii, Australia and Japan tours of 1973 returned back home in Mill Valley, Just outside San Francisco to finish the mixing and to release and promote his second solo album in March 1973 (the album was already recorded in January 1973) then go back to London to record and mix GHS with the Stones

At the end of 1974 he left his beautiful ten-roomed house in the woods, all hardwood interiors to return to live in London because he began to think his home as a dangerous place to be.

He also was with the Stones during the sessions for IORR / B&B in 1974

He was not with the stones for the 1975 tour because of his very busy agenda, not just as a session man but he toured also with Jerry Garcia.

BTW, between many others studio sessions in 1975 he attended Bill Wyman’s sessions for “Stone Alone”

So In short the only thing I can say is that it was not health problems, Nicky also was drinking a lot during those days, just listen HIS VOICE during those shows with Jerry, but his piano was always great even drunk.

His serious health problems that caused inactivity in both recording and touring were from May 1963 to January 1965 with almost 19 months in the hospital when he lost his gall bladder, his left kidney and suffered a collapsed lung, and in 1994 when he passed away.
May 26th, 2005 12:45 AM
tomk Most books seems to always mention Nicky's frail health.
I met him a few times. He used to come in my work (retail days). Probably the nicest human being I've ever met.
He did seem very frail. If I had sneezed, I probably would have knocked him over.
When I told him I was a musician, he was very interested,
wanted to know what I was doing and where I was playing.
Always mentioned it again when he came back in.
A really great guy. I asked him if he played all the keyboards
on the Kinks "Village Green Preservation Society" album
and he said, "I did all the the keyboard work, and then
fucking Ray Davies puts his name on the credits for doing it.
Fucking bastard!" God bless Nicky Hopkins.
May 26th, 2005 12:59 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
jpenn11 wrote:
Presumably, there is also something on this site's Hopkins page (so no need to copy it here), doubtless authoritative on the issue.

Thanks jpenn11, I'm making the bio part of the site but now I'm in 1969 LOL, however check the session part and see how busy he was during those years, that's why I think that the only reason was that.
May 26th, 2005 01:07 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
tomk wrote:
Most books seems to always mention Nicky's frail health.

Yes, he was always ill, that why I made emphasis when I wrote "His serious health problems that caused inactivity"
May 26th, 2005 04:08 AM
mac_daddy great info, all... threads like this remind me why this is my favorite bbs on the 'net...

according to thejerrysite, nicky played with jerry for the later part of 1975 - from august 5 to nye. here is the lineup...

* Jerry Garcia - guitar, vocals
* John Kahn - bass
* Nicky Hopkins - keyboards, vocals
* Ron Tutt - drums

thanks for clearing some of this stuff up for me...

while the b00ze didnt help, i gather, nicky's health issues were not entirely due to the drink. it seems like he was rather frail, booze or no...
May 26th, 2005 09:04 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:
while the b00ze didnt help, i gather, nicky's health issues were not entirely due to the drink. it seems like he was rather frail, booze or no...

His health problem started long before his heavy drinking in the mid 70s, but Nicky was not frail at all before his first stay in the hospital, check this photo

Nicky with The Savages in 1960
'Copyright Carlo Little, 1999, 2005. Not to be reproduced without permission'
This picture by courtesy of and with lot of thank yous to Giselle Rawlins, Carlo Little's daughter

and this is from 1965... some months after he returned from the hospital.

May 26th, 2005 09:53 AM
mac_daddy again - thanks for the info. i wasnt trying to be derrogatory, i just thought maybe he was one of those sickly types, and maybe had health issues all of his life...

stu has a special place in my book, for a number of reasons, but nicky is my favorite keyboard player, and i was just looking to fill in some of the blanks...

oh, voodoo - do you have a hi rez scan of that nicky/jerry poster..? i am sure noah (the admin at thejerrysite) would love to add it ver there - i know him, and would be happy to get it to him (i am sure he would also be hot to link to the nicky pages here - i doubt he knows they exist)...

May 26th, 2005 03:48 PM
glencar Interesting thread. NH looks somewhat thin in that last photo after he got out of the hospital.
May 26th, 2005 05:23 PM
Saint Sway If memory serves me correct Nicky Hopkins played on Izzy Stradlins 1st album. Mac too.

I believe Hopkins is on "Come On Inside"
May 26th, 2005 07:38 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
If memory serves me correct Nicky Hopkins played on Izzy Stradlins 1st album. Mac too.

I believe Hopkins is on "Come On Inside"

Ronnie Wood played too
May 27th, 2005 12:05 AM
Soldatti Nicky did an amazing job with the Stones, god bless him.
May 27th, 2005 12:04 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
VoodooChileInWOnderl wrote:

That's the one I have in my hard drive but I probably can improve it re-scanning it but it is in a catalog of psychedelic stuff from San Francisco, let me see what can I do

no problem. the scan looks great - i will send it over to him, and give him your email addy, and the url of the nicky pages - i am sure he would love to check it out, and might even have some stuff to contribute (he is a great guy). i just know that he has a gallery with all jerry related pics, posters, tix, etc. and that there is not one artifact from the time that nicky played in the band...

thanks for sharing.
May 27th, 2005 03:54 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
VoodooChileInWOnderl wrote:

Ronnie Wood played too

Ronnie only plays on Izzy's cover of Woodys "Take A look At the Guy" - killer version

Mac is on that one too and a bunch of others

not sure how many Nicky is on. But hes on there.

Izzy's guitarist - Rick Richards - from the Georgia Satellites kicks incredible ass. Killer slide guitarist!
May 27th, 2005 03:59 PM
mac_daddy voodoo - i shared the poster art with a buddy of mine who told me that icon in the corner is from wolfgang's vault.

http://www.wolfgangsvault.com/

without clicking the link, does anybody know who wolfgang is..?

i am offering a free copy of one of my recordings (your choice) to the first one to post the correct answer in this thread - and please dont cheat

but it looks like there is alot of cool stuf to look at over there

edit:

here is the actual page where the poster is...

[Edited by mac_daddy]
May 27th, 2005 09:53 PM
BILL PERKS NICKY WAS FANTASTIC- THE WHOLE OF WE LOVE YOU IS BASED ON HIS OUTSTANDING PIANO..BY THE WAY, THAT SONG ROCKS AS DOES CHILD OF THE MOON.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)