ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Thanks Nico
Musicland Studios, Munich November 1973 with Giorgio Moroder
© Pop Magazine Germany - with thanks to Nico Zentgraf
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Who Are Kings of Leon? Return to archive Page: 1 2
May 20th, 2005 08:46 AM
gimmekeef I see a lot of buzz around this band lately.Have not heard them but would be interested in hearing from anyone as to their top 2-3 tracks and your opinion of them.Thanks!
May 20th, 2005 09:15 AM
Factory Girl Ok, I think I'm qualified to tackle this one...lol.

They are- 3 brothers and a cousin from Tennessee btwn ages 18-25. They have 2 cds- Youth & Young Manhood and Aha Shake Heartbreak. You should get them both this weekend.

They have a raucious rocking sound. They write their own tunes.

Best 3 songs

1. Holy Roller Novocaine
2. Molly's Chambers
3. Soft-as Caleb tells the audience:" This song is about erectile dysfunction. Maybe you heard of it."

I've seen them live TWICE, and they ROCK HARD!! Go see them!

May 20th, 2005 09:20 AM
Madafaka Well, in that case, I'll try to get those cds asap.
If I don't like the band, I'll send you the argentinian edition to you FG!
May 20th, 2005 09:27 AM
Factory Girl Thank you, Mofo.
May 20th, 2005 09:29 AM
gimmekeef Thanks Factory Girl...I'll give them a try....
May 20th, 2005 10:25 AM
Jair I love them! The best american band these days, along the Strokes, maybe even better, imo.

Love the strong accent of the lead vocalist. First time I heard them I thought they were from Scotland or something.

[Edited by Jair]
May 20th, 2005 10:32 AM
Gimme Shelter I went to both U2 San Jose shows and the Kings of Leon opened up both nights and they were alright.
May 20th, 2005 11:16 AM
Saint Sway OK. Here's why any RocksOffer will dig the Kings Of Leon:

1. THEY RAWK: actually they rock hard. Most songs are just strong riffs built around 2 chords. Very straight forward, hard driven Some Girls style guitar rock.
2. RAUNCHY LYRICS: The lyrics are pure, old school Jagger. All about debauchery, sex, drugs etc. The more taboo the better, seems to be the theme. Hookers, trani's, limp dicks...
3. VOCALS: Caleb doesnt sound like Mick - but he reminds me of early Jagger. Both in his delivery and in the way he marbles and slurs the words.
4. ATTITUDE: These guys got it. The 70s Stones look. The Stones attitude. All cocky and swagger. Name another band that has that these days.
5. LIFESTYLE: These guys are living and breathing Cocksucker Blues. The partying, drinking, shagging models, jet setting. In a music world that is oversaturated with lame, safe VH1 bands like Maroon 5 and Matchbox20, The Kings are the bad boys. They've injected a huge dose of Stones into todays rock scene.

* PLUS: they're already doing car commercials. They sold out their song Mollys Chambers. Hey, lets face it, thats so Stones.

but don't take my word. Hear for yourself.
DOWNLOAD THESE:
• Holly Roller Novacaine (the Stones should of written this one!)
• Happy Alone (tell me Mick didn't actually write these lyrics about strutting around in high heels)
• Mollys Chambers (you've heard this one in the commercial - and it still rocks!)
• Red Morning Light (very Stones - I could see Jagger strutting around a stadium to this tune going "HEY! HEY! 'notha dirrrty bird is givin out a taaaaaste!")
• Slow Night, So Long
• Taper Jean Girl ("ahhh ha shake")
• The Bucket (their single)
May 20th, 2005 12:46 PM
GimmeExile I saw them open for U2 the other in NJ, which is not the best way to be introduced to a new band. They look good, but their sound in nothing to rave about. "California Waiting" is a pretty cool song.
May 20th, 2005 03:00 PM
MRD8 FG,
Do you think I should B&P a few copies of their Lisbon 2004 DVD on here?
May 20th, 2005 03:07 PM
Factory Girl Hello MRD8,

I think that is a great idea! I'm totally addicted to KOL Lisbon.
May 20th, 2005 03:13 PM
Candace Youngblood Hmmm, aren't the brothers sons of a preacher? I thought I had read that somewhere...

That heightens their appeal, being such naughty sinners.

haha. I like them.
May 20th, 2005 03:42 PM
Saint Sway hey Candace,

I dig your avatar!

would you say the Kings are the new Dolls?
May 20th, 2005 03:48 PM
polksalad69
quote:
Jair wrote:
I love them! The best american band these days, along the Strokes, maybe even better, imo.

Love the strong accent of the lead vocalist. First time I heard them I thought they were from Scotland or something.

Ok, I don't doubt they are good but to say they are the best American band these days ignores plenty of bands that are and have been playing for a very long time below the semi-mainstream radar. I mean the Strokes? Come on, there's so much more out there.
May 20th, 2005 04:54 PM
Candace Youngblood
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
hey Candace,

I dig your avatar!

would you say the Kings are the new Dolls?

I would say that the KOL are WAY too cute to be the new Dolls. But they invoke a lot of the same imagery and they definitely know how to rock out.
May 20th, 2005 07:23 PM
Soldatti I listened a few songs from this group and I'm impressed, they are very good IMO.
May 23rd, 2005 08:37 AM
Jair
quote:
polksalad69 wrote:

Ok, I don't doubt they are good but to say they are the best American band these days ignores plenty of bands that are and have been playing for a very long time below the semi-mainstream radar. I mean the Strokes? Come on, there's so much more out there.

Well, that's we gotta here. Can you name some of these bands?
May 23rd, 2005 09:01 AM
exile I have not heard of them myself YET
but my friends (knowing whata stones freak I am) tell me i should check them out.

I recently discovered this band DALLAS CRANE

http://www.dallascrane.com/

I like what i hear so far.....especially a song called Wrong Party.
May 23rd, 2005 09:05 AM
gimmekeef Based on feedback from memebers here I purchased Kings of Leon and very glad I did.Thanks everyone!
May 23rd, 2005 10:14 AM
Factory Girl Hey giimekeef,

Which cds did you get?
May 23rd, 2005 10:43 AM
gimmekeef FG..I use Itunes mostly to download tunes these days as I seldom find a whole album worth paying $15-$20 for.So checked out Kings of Leon and they had a nice 5 track selection called "Holy Roller Novacaine" for $4.95.Thats what i bought.However I like it so much I'll be downloading a few more tracks soon.Guess here's an example of where decent artists can get more exposure through the single track download method.
May 24th, 2005 12:09 AM
Blind Dog McGhee
quote:
Jair wrote:

Check out No Depression, gotta dig bro'
[Edited by Blind Dog McGhee]
May 24th, 2005 01:50 PM
PolkSalad
quote:
Jair wrote:

For some reason Los Lobos came to mind right away. Dave Alvin & the Guilty Men and Big Sandy & His Fly Rite Boys have been keeping American Music alive for years and are great bands both live and in the studio.
May 25th, 2005 08:24 AM
Lord Homosex Plenty of great music out there that all Rox Off people would dig.
New and old
Louis XIV from San Diego are getting a lot of attention.
Kasabian is good.
Arcade Fire is excellent.
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club first album rocks.
Thrills are real West Coast.
Of the older bands Doves are pretty good. And Supergrass are just excellent IMO.
Then of course there is always Lucinda Williams and Ryan Adams and Flaming Lips, Nick Cave and Marlene Dietrich.
May 25th, 2005 08:33 AM
Nellcote Do not forget: NELLCOTE, and SHOOTER JENNINGS, who are, of course, say it loud...
WICKED PISSA!

http://www.nellcote.co.uk/

http://shooterjennings.com/flash/index.html
May 25th, 2005 09:08 AM
Honky Tonk Man Kings Of Leon are okay. Both they're albums contain some good rocking songs, but they are a little over hyped over here in the UK.

May 25th, 2005 11:13 AM
polksalad69
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
Do not forget: SHOOTER JENNINGS, who are, of course, say it loud...

http://shooterjennings.com/flash/index.html

he WISHES he was Hank III
May 25th, 2005 11:22 AM
Nellcote Polk, Hank III is the balls.
Is he having a row with his label
where he's dropped out of sight?
Shooter seems to be taking a more
mainstream approach, however, he's got spark..
May 25th, 2005 11:39 AM
polksalad69
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
Polk, Hank III is the balls.
Is he having a row with his label
where he's dropped out of sight?
Shooter seems to be taking a more
mainstream approach, however, he's got spark..

he's been having a row with Curb Records (thus the FUCK CURB sticker on his guitar)for some time now. maybe he's dropped out of site depending on where you are, but he's had two short tours this year and there's word of a IIIrd this summer. Of course doing country/metal sets doesn't sit well with Nashville.

yeah, Shooter's gone Hollywood...
May 25th, 2005 11:48 AM
Nellcote Thanks for the 411, Polk.
If the Nashville scene produces the string laden syrup
faux country which I hear often, then good luck to it.
I'll take Hank III & Shooter anytime.
Shooter seems to take a left from that noise, and still
is able to draw a crowd. His lyrics show a genuine
dislike for Nashville, but he's touring on some dates
with Toby Keith, go figure...
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)