ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Thanks Nico
Musicland Studios, Munich November 1973 with Giorgio Moroder
© Pop Magazine Germany - with thanks to Nico Zentgraf
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Stones or Star Wars..... Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5
May 19th, 2005 04:27 PM
The_Worst I can't believe how so many people misunderstood my thread...I mean, all I was saying is that it's been a bitch to try & get Stones tickets...When I went to the theater last night there were so many people that tickets were impossible to get....

I never asked what was better the Stones or Star Wars? Why the hell would I even try to compare a rock n' roll band to a science-fiction movie?!?! Talking about jumping to conclusions...

By the way, for the record, I don't really like science fiction movies & I personally hate Star Trek...I also think the grown men & women who dress up like Star Wars characters need serious help...All I am saying is I thought the Star Wars movies were cool (especially the originals) & I'm looking forward to seeing Episode III... Believe me, I'm not changing my Rocks Off name from "The Worst" to "Darth Vader"!!!
May 19th, 2005 04:28 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
May 19th, 2005 04:32 PM
MrPleasant
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:

Margot Kidder, Carrie Fisher, Anne Heche; crazy people, all.

But (and this pic reminded me), we forgot Ronald Reagan.
May 20th, 2005 01:30 AM
texile i saw star wars tonight - in fact just got back;

scrounge, it has a simple timeless message about the darkness in all-consuming power, good vs evil - justice vs opression and ultimately, hope for a better future........
so lighten the fuck up!
i was so happy when i heard james earl jones' voice at the end - gave me chills.
May 20th, 2005 03:09 PM
Poplar
Yeah, the JEJ voice is king. I also liked the last shot of the film ... realy brought the thing full circle, with Luke's theme returning.... cool stuff.

May 20th, 2005 05:41 PM
time is on my side
quote:
The_Worst wrote:
I don't know which one has the harder to get tickets...Went to the theater early tonight...all three shows at midnight were completely sold out and the place was a madhouse...cop cars keeping people in line...much like the Stones, so far I am shit out of luck...this sucks...

Had no problem getting tickets. Just walked right up and saw the movie (not a huge Star Wars fan but our local paper gave it a great review so thought I would check it out). Found the entire movie to be great entertainment and would actually recommend it if you enjoy those type of movies. It's without a doubt the best of the prequel films.
May 21st, 2005 05:52 PM
texile also, as a side-note to scrounge......
tom stoppard, friend of mick, co-wrote the screenplay.
and mick is a sci fi fan - so there mr. sophisticated stones fan.
May 21st, 2005 07:01 PM
BrotherM Stoned Star Whores
May 22nd, 2005 06:46 PM
glencar Looking forward to both.
May 22nd, 2005 07:46 PM
FPM C10 Just took my son to see Sith - I'm not a fan of the series, and although the film is non-stop action, and looks beautiful, I was pretty bored. However, the lines of dialogue which were obviously equating Bush with The Dark Side, i.e. the war fought under false pretexts, supposedly in defense of "democracy" and especially Darth Vader saying "You're either with us or you're with the enemy" obviously get my thumbs up. I laughed out loud every time one of those popped up.

I think it's hilarious that Lucas claims that none of that's intentional. It's NOT subtle at all.

May 23rd, 2005 01:51 AM
stonedinaustralia pretty much off topic although it is about the movies

finally saw Team America World Police last night

i thought it was, in the main, fairly disappointing and i'm a big fan of south park

just didn't think there were enough really hilarious moments

the vomiting scene was what had me laughing the most

and alec baldwin could always do with having the piss taken out of him

i thought the Kim Jong Il stuff was pretty funny although that was mostly the rather cliched humour of sending up oriental english accents by replacing all the Ls with Rs - "i'm so ronery" (ha!!)

weird thing was i found the marionette sex scenes stangely erotic - shiver!!

the "America - Fuck Yeah" song was Ok - especially the ballad version

anyway, i expected more

[Edited by stonedinaustralia]
May 23rd, 2005 10:48 AM
The_Worst
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:
However, the lines of dialogue which were obviously equating Bush with The Dark Side, i.e. the war fought under false pretexts, supposedly in defense of "democracy" and especially Darth Vader saying "You're either with us or you're with the enemy" obviously get my thumbs up. I laughed out loud every time one of those popped up.

FPM C10,

Your hatred of our president is quite remarkable...Just remember, it was hatred and anger that turned Anikin to the dark side...I think from this point on I'm going to call you Darth FPM C10....
May 23rd, 2005 10:48 AM
The_Worst
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:
However, the lines of dialogue which were obviously equating Bush with The Dark Side, i.e. the war fought under false pretexts, supposedly in defense of "democracy" and especially Darth Vader saying "You're either with us or you're with the enemy" obviously get my thumbs up. I laughed out loud every time one of those popped up.

FPM C10,

Your hatred of our president is quite remarkable...Just remember, it was hatred and anger that turned Anikin to the dark side...I think from this point on I'm going to call you Darth FPM C10....
May 23rd, 2005 11:15 AM
Monkey Woman
quote:
texile wrote:
also, as a side-note to scrounge......
tom stoppard, friend of mick, co-wrote the screenplay.

Did he? I saw no mention of his name in the closing credits or on IMDb.com. George Lucas is credited as sole screenwriter.

N.B. OK, it's a possibility. I found on IMDb.com that Stoppard often works uncredited as a scriptdoctor. Among the screenplays he helped pen are : Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Sleepy Hollow and K-19.

But Stoppard did write the screenplay for another sci-fi film, the stunning Brazil, with Terry Gilliam. So there are some connections between the Stones and sci-fi! Not to mention songs like "2000 Man" or "2000 Lightyears From Home"...

[Edited by Monkey Woman]
May 23rd, 2005 11:21 AM
FPM C10
quote:
The_Worst wrote:

Your hatred of our president is quite remarkable...

Thanks! I try.

quote:

Just remember, it was hatred and anger that turned Anikin to the dark side...

I thought it was trying to protect the woman he loved that did it. Whatever - these movies are goofy. I thought the OTHER big movie that premiered last week - The C10 Movie - was far superior!

quote:

I think from this point on I'm going to call you Darth FPM C10....

I've been called worse. Doesn't have much of a ring to it, though.

Hey, I'm not saying you're wrong about my hatred of Bush, and history (if there IS any after he's done screwing up the world) will prove me to be correct in saying he's the worst president this country has ever had. HOWEVER, I wonder - are you saying I imagined the Bush references in Revenge of The Sith?

Wh-wh-wha-a-a-t? Oh, sure -

May 23rd, 2005 12:13 PM
The_Worst
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:
HOWEVER, I wonder - are you saying I imagined the Bush references in Revenge of The Sith?

Actually yes I am...We are talking about a movie that was written over 30 years ago...Sure some of the lines may have been changed but to somehow say that Episode III is somehow hinting at the Bush administration is just plain stupid...& please keep up the 5 year old humor of putting toliet seats on the president''s head...This may appeal to the extreme leftists that you are friends with but it turns off the majority of the American people. I only hope your opinions are given even more attention...The more liberals like you speak up the more likely we are assured of another Republican president in 2008!!!
May 23rd, 2005 03:15 PM
FPM C10
quote:
The_Worst wrote:

Actually yes I am...We are talking about a movie that was written over 30 years ago...Sure some of the lines may have been changed but to somehow say that Episode III is somehow hinting at the Bush administration is just plain stupid...

Good lord. Are you that blind? It's not HINTING. It's blatant. Which one of us is STUPID, I wonder?

OK, here, from that bastian of the dreaded liberal media, MSNBC:

Is new ‘Star Wars’ an anti-Bush flick?

20th Century Fox
It's no "Fahrenheit 911," but Hayden Christensen hints that the next "Star Wars" is not exactly Bush-friendly.

By Jeannette Walls
MSNBC
Updated: 1:50 p.m. ET May 17, 2005

While “Star Wars” fans squabble over whether “Revenge of the Sith” contains any anti-Bush messages, one central figure has weighed in on the debate: Hayden Christensen, the actor who plays Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader.

When the Ottawa Sun asked Christensen if the flick “takes metaphoric shots at the war-mongering politics of U.S. presidents Richard Nixon and the two George Bushes” the star answered: “Absolutely.”

He went on to say that he thinks that some people who weren’t American allies in the Iraq war will love “Revenge of the Sith” because of it.

“I think for that reason the French will be really responsive to it,” Christensen said. “I think they’ll get it. They’ll get the political commentary and the subtext. Anakin says: ‘If you’re not with me, you’re my enemy!’ I think they’ll love it.’

And the Salt Lake Tribune says:

A few pundits on the right - those fine folks who made political footballs out of a decorated Vietnam veteran's record and a Florida woman's coma - have whined that some of the dialogue in "Star Wars, Episode III: Revenge of the Sith" takes potshots at the Bush administration's handling of Iraq.

Craig Winneker, writing for the conservative Web site Tech Central Station, detected "a recurring anti-Bush, anti-Iraq War message [that] has no place in a 'Star Wars' flick." A group called Patriotic Americans Boycotting Anti-American Hollywood - which famously petitioned John Ashcroft to file treason charges against Michael Moore - has called for a "Star Wars" boycott (forgetting that the movie's distributor, 20th Century Fox, is in the same corporate family tree as the right's much-beloved Fox News).
Here are two examples of what these conservatives say is George Lucas' Bush-bashing
:
When the Republic's Senate votes for Chancellor Palpatine's request for absolute power, Sen. Padme Amidala (Natalie Portman) comments, "So this is how liberty dies - to thunderous applause," an apparent comparison to the U.S.A. Patriot Act.
When Anakin Skywalker (Hayden Christensen) tells his former mentor Obi-Wan Kenobi (Ewan McGregor), "If you're not with me, you're my enemy," it supposedly recalls Bush's post-9/11 statement "Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists."
Not that the right is alone in finding political fodder in "Star Wars." The liberal MoveOnPAC.org is mounting an ad campaign comparing Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist's power play in the U.S. Senate to Palpatine's machinations. The ad doesn't use any of Lucas' copyrighted icons, but the text scrolling on the screen is yellow and placed at a familiar slant.
At a press conference at the Cannes Film Festival, where "Revenge of the Sith" premiered out of competition last Sunday, Lucas acknowledged his saga's themes could apply to the Iraq war.
"In terms of evil, one of the original concepts was how does a democracy turn itself into a dictatorship," Lucas said.
When Lucas began writing "Star Wars," though, the war was in Vietnam and the president playing fast and loose with the Constitution was Richard Nixon - though Lucas did say this week, "The parallels between what we did in Vietnam and what we're doing in Iraq now are unbelievable."

Oh, man. Just google "Bush" and "Sith" - there are a million articles saying what I'm saying. It's incredible to me that you could miss it. "He must be stopped - he's too powerful! He controls the Senate AND the judges!" (sorry if I'm not exact in the quote - I might be a liberal but I'm not a geek.)

But then again, it's incredible to me that anyone could vote for Bush and admit it. You will have a lot to explain to your children, if you have any, or if they don't get killed in Iraq defending "freedom" and "democracy".

quote:

& please keep up the 5 year old humor of putting toliet seats on the president''s head...

Oh, I didn't do that. One of the hundreds of websites which specialize in lampooning your hero did that.

And how DARE I disrespect THE PRESIDENT on a ROLLING STONES board?

quote:

This may appeal to the extreme leftists that you are friends with but it turns off the majority of the American people.

Neither my friends or I are extreme leftists. In most civilized, sane countries, we would be considered centrists. Only by comparison to Bush and his ilk do we appear to be "extreme".

As for "the majority of Americans" -

According to AFP and PollingReport.com, the latest Time magazine poll has Bush's approval rating down two points since March, to 46 percent, with 47 percent disapproving.

Just 41 per cent of respondents say they approve of Bush's handling of Iraq, with 55 per cent saying they disapprove.

AFP reports: "Mr. Bush's popularity registered a particularly steep decline among the elderly, with 55 per cent of Americans aged 65 or older disapproving.

"He also had falling poll numbers among women, with just 42 per cent approval, down from 51 per cent before November's presidential election."

Of course I don't know what the numbers are concerning pictures of Bush with a toilet seat on his head. You might actually be right about that.

quote:
I only hope your opinions are given even more attention...The more liberals like you speak up the more likely we are assured of another Republican president in 2008!!!

Over 50 million Americans voted for "the most liberal member of congress" this last election. "Liberal" is not a swear word, and in fact this country was founded on liberal principles. I will agree with you that my opinions, and those of other liberals, should be given more attention.

But, back to your original topic, you'd better go watch your Star Wars movie AGAIN because I think you missed a few key parts.
May 23rd, 2005 03:26 PM
Joey
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:
. However, the lines of dialogue which were obviously equating Bush with The Dark Side, i.e. the war fought under false pretexts, supposedly in defense of "democracy" and especially Darth Vader saying "You're either with us or you're with the enemy" obviously get my thumbs up. I laughed out loud every time one of those popped up.

I think it's hilarious that Lucas claims that none of that's intentional. It's NOT subtle at all.

I say , " Sell Corn " !!!!!

W- W- W- W- What ?!?! .............Oh , sure ! :

May 23rd, 2005 04:18 PM
The_Worst FPM C10,

Just curious what it is you do for a living that you were able to go on such a rant like that? The bottom line is that you can intepret these things anyway you want...If you want to say that this movie is about the Bush Adminstration then a case could certainly be made about the Clinton Administration...Afterall, he had people popped off to protect himself (See Vince Foster)...

My only question is did you burn an American flag before or after the movie?
May 23rd, 2005 04:27 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
The_Worst wrote:

Our elected officials don't swear to protect the flag, they swear to uphold the Constitution. Big difference.

[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
May 23rd, 2005 04:36 PM
Bloozehound
quote:
The_Worst wrote:

both

May 23rd, 2005 04:57 PM
FPM C10
quote:
The_Worst wrote:
FPM C10,
Just curious what it is you do for a living that you were able to go on such a rant like that?

That seems to be a big issue with you folks. What makes you think there was anything particularly time-consuming about googling a few articles and cutting & pasting them? And what makes you think it's any of your business?

I'M just curious as to whether you have any kids or not. Most of the folks who view nearly 1600 dead American kids as acceptable losses in the War on Terror (sic) don't have any of their own.

quote:

The bottom line is that you can intepret these things anyway you want...

The stuff I cut & pasted earlier was the interpretation of the film-maker and the actors in it, not me.

quote:

If you want to say that this movie is about the Bush Adminstration then a case could certainly be made about the Clinton Administration...Afterall, he had people popped off to protect himself (See Vince Foster)...

Oh, you're one of THOSE people! I should've known! Hey, look out your window - the black helicopters are coming to get you...

quote:

How did America get so fucking stupid? That's what I want to know. Arguing with you people is like arguing with rocks. Let me guess, your next step will be to call me a pussy...

Go see your Star Wars movie again. It's people on YOUR side who are saying it's anti-Bush. Yet somehow I'm anti-American for noticing?

Feh.
May 23rd, 2005 05:07 PM
The_Worst
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:

That seems to be a big issue with you folks. What makes you think there was anything particularly time-consuming about googling a few articles and cutting & pasting them? And what makes you think it's any of your business?

I'M just curious as to whether you have any kids or not. Most of the folks who view nearly 1600 dead American kids as acceptable losses in the War on Terror (sic) don't have any of their own.

The stuff I cut & pasted earlier was the interpretation of the film-maker and the actors in it, not me.

Oh, you're one of THOSE people! I should've known! Hey, look out your window - the black helicopters are coming to get you...

How did America get so fucking stupid? That's what I want to know. Arguing with you people is like arguing with rocks. Let me guess, your next step will be to call me a pussy...

Go see your Star Wars movie again. It's people on YOUR side who are saying it's anti-Bush. Yet somehow I'm anti-American for noticing?

Feh.

To answer your question I don't have kids. HOWEVER, I did have a very close friend who was killed on September 11th the day this war was started... Nevertheless, I don't feel like getting into this with you but we can if you would like to go down that path...

As for America being so fucking stupid anytime you want to take an American history test tough guy just let me know...

As for the pussy comment...you said it not me...
May 23rd, 2005 05:17 PM
Bloozehound
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:

maybe its because of the fact that you're incapable of making 1 post here without attacking people whose political positions you differ with

you're absolutely obsessed and sick, you've got some serious issues dude

[Edited by Bloozehound]
May 23rd, 2005 05:33 PM
ResidentMule the movie is totally about Bush.

some of it is from 30 years ago - like the volcano fight scene. but that has nothing to do about politics.
the dialogue on the other hand ("so this is how democracy dies - to thunderous applause") is clearly very current, and I don't see how you couldn't find it extremely blatant.

how much about democracy do you hear of in 'Empire' & 'Jedi'? none at all. how much in 'Clones' and 'Sith'? just about every 5 minutes they're talking about the Senate. do you really think these stories were written back to back? hell no, they've got a completely different agenda, Lucas obviously felt he had something to say when he scripted this.
May 23rd, 2005 05:45 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
ResidentMule wrote:
the movie is totally about Bush.

I don't beleive that. It might be about the archtypical tyrant but it's not about Bush. It's only about Bush insofar as he gives himself over to that sort of thing. It could be about my mother if she stepped into the role. The "characters" lived a thousand years ago and they'll be around a thousand years from now.
May 23rd, 2005 05:49 PM
ResidentMule yeah it 'could' be about anyone - or a composite of many characters - but I would bet that given the timing of the movie, Bush was probably the main inspiration

before seeing the movie I thought it was a little ridiculous too that people would say it used a lot of blatant anti Bush stuff, but after seeing the movie, I gotta agree with them
[Edited by ResidentMule]
May 23rd, 2005 06:41 PM
Jumacfly
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:

“I think for that reason the French will be really responsive to it,” Christensen said. “I think they’ll get it. They’ll get the political commentary and the subtext. Anakin says: ‘If you’re not with me, you’re my enemy!’ I think they’ll love it.’

LOL...good point just a few days before the European Union Vote!
but don't forget this quote "if you re not with me ..." comes from Mr Richards when Mr Taylor told him he left the band..
May 23rd, 2005 06:51 PM
glencar "Good lord. Are you that blind? It's not HINTING. It's blatant. Which one of us is STUPID, I wonder?

OK, here, from that bastian of the dreaded liberal media, MSNBC:"

It's always a hoot when you call someone else stupid & yet can't even use spellcheck!
May 23rd, 2005 06:55 PM
glencar
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:
pretty much off topic although it is about the movies

finally saw Team America World Police last night

i thought it was, in the main, fairly disappointing and i'm a big fan of south park

just didn't think there were enough really hilarious moments

the vomiting scene was what had me laughing the most

and alec baldwin could always do with having the piss taken out of him

i thought the Kim Jong Il stuff was pretty funny although that was mostly the rather cliched humour of sending up oriental english accents by replacing all the Ls with Rs - "i'm so ronery" (ha!!)

weird thing was i found the marionette sex scenes stangely erotic - shiver!!

the "America - Fuck Yeah" song was Ok - especially the ballad version

anyway, i expected more

[Edited by stonedinaustralia]

I like South Park but I find it somewhat tiresome to watch it too much. Yet I found the puppet movie hysterically funny. I wasn't expecting that much from it & it had me laughing from start to finish.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)