ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Happy Birthday Charlie!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: RIP Desmond Dekker Return to archive
26th May 2006 08:04 AM
Nellcote Jamaican ska great Desmond Dekker dies
May 26, 2006

LONDON --Desmond Dekker, who brought the sound of Jamaican ska music to the world with songs such as "Israelites," has died, his manager said Friday. He was 64.

Dekker, who lived in England, collapsed from an apparent heart attack at his home on Thursday, manager Delroy Williams said.

"It is such a shock, I don't think I will ever get over this," Williams said.

Dekker's 1969 song "Israelites," a Top 10 single in both Britain and the United States, was the first international hit produced by Jamaica's vibrant music scene. With its haunting vocals and irresistible rhythm, it introduced the world to ska, a precursor to reggae.

"Desmond was the first legend, believe it or not," Williams said. "When he released 'Israelites' nobody had heard of Bob Marley -- he paved the way for all of them."

Born Desmond Dacres in 1941, Dekker worked as a welder in Kingston before signing with Leslie Kong's Beverley's record label and releasing his first single, "Honor Your Father and Your Mother," in 1963. It was followed by Jamaican hits including "King of Ska."

Some of his most popular songs celebrated the culture of violent street toughs, or "rude boys" -- "Rude Boy Train," "Rudie Got Soul" and "007 (Shanty Town)," which featured on the soundtrack of the seminal Jamaican film "The Harder They Come."

He also had a hit with "You Can Get It If You Really Want," written by his label-mate Jimmy Cliff.

The songs made Dekker a hero of British youth, and he moved to the country in the 1970s.

Dekker's career suffered after the 1971 death of his mentor Kong, and he was declared bankrupt in 1984. But he retained a strong British following until his death and performed regularly. Dekker had been due to play across Europe over the summer, including dates in Ireland, Switzerland and the Czech Republic.

Dekker, who was divorced, is survived by a son and a daughter. Funeral details were not immediately available.
26th May 2006 08:36 AM
gimmekeef Man..I remember how much different that song sounded back then and how much I liked it.Never knew the background until later about the reggae sound and artists....Rest in peace Desmond!
26th May 2006 02:41 PM
FPM C10 Me too. I used to listen to the radio all night long in those days, and "The Israelites" sounded like nothing I'd ever heard. It wasn't something that changed my life, at least not in a big, profound way, but it wedged itself in my memory, and years later when I first heard Bob Marley I sort of already knew what was going on.

It's still a cool song, too.

RIP Desmond
26th May 2006 02:46 PM
gimmekeef
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:
Me too. I used to listen to the radio all night long in those days, and "The Israelites" sounded like nothing I'd ever heard. It wasn't something that changed my life, at least not in a big, profound way, but it wedged itself in my memory, and years later when I first heard Bob Marley I sort of already knew what was going on.

It's still a cool song, too.

RIP Desmond

Think I'll blast it tonight in his honor...right before Brussells 73 makes an appearance!
26th May 2006 02:50 PM
monkey_man Damn, I just saw him play in SF last year. Rest in Peace!

[Edited by monkey_man]
26th May 2006 02:56 PM
Mahatma Kane Jeeves the Isrealites-best reggae song ever IMO
RIP desmond
26th May 2006 03:02 PM
gimmekeef
quote:
Mahatma Kane Jeeves wrote:
the Isrealites-best reggae song ever IMO
RIP desmond

I agree....and ahead of its time in release in usa.Wish more reggae had been played before Claptons cover of I Shot The Sherriff kinda broke it open.....
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)