ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Happy Birthday Charlie!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Good news for weed smokers (NSC) Return to archive
25th May 2006 05:39 AM
Ten Thousand Motels 'Marijuana has low cancer risk'

[Posted: Wed 24/05/2006]
IrishHealth.com

People who smoke pot may be at less risk of getting lung cancer than tobacco smokers, new US research has indicated.

A study of 2,200 people in Los Angeles has found that even heavy marijuana smokers are no more likely to develop lung, head or neck cancer than non-users, in contrast with tobacco users, whose risk increases the more they smoke.

While marijuana smoke does contain some of the same cancer-causing substances as tobacco smoke, a possible explanation for the apparent lower cancer risk is that it does contain THC, a component that can inhibit tumour growth, the researchers said.

The researchers, from the David Geffen School of Medicine at the University of California Los Angeles stress that while any smoke substance that is ingested into the lungs cannot be given a clean bill of health, the research failed to confirm indications in other studies that marijuana can increase the risk of developing lung and other cancers.

Other studies have suggested that marijuana is a risk factor for cancer and lung disease. Marijuana smokers usually inhale more deeply than tobacco smokers and hold the smoke in their lungs longer, depositing more tar.

The new study is to be presented to a conference of the American Thoracic Society.

[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
25th May 2006 08:15 AM
Some Guy blunts wit da homies!
25th May 2006 08:20 AM
Taptrick
That story left out some key points. We already know marijuana deposits significantly more carcinogenics and tar into the lungs than ciggarettes. That can be easily measured. Those involved in this study theorize that potentially affected cancerous cells are simply dying before they can become cancerous in some marijuana smokers. That would mean you avoid the cancer in exchange for advanced aging. And this isn't really a large enough pool to be statistically significant...but it is another step to learning more about cancer. We will probably see replication studies now.

25th May 2006 11:15 AM
Lucy_Bandersnatch "... any smoke substance that is ingested into the lungs cannot be given a clean bill of health..."

Problemo solved...

Why Cannabis Vaporization?

Vaporization is a technique for avoiding irritating respiratory toxins in marijuana smoke by heating cannabis to a temperature where the psychoactive ingredients evaporate without causing combustion.

Laboratory studies by California NORML and MAPS have found that vaporizers can efficiently deliver cannabinoids while eliminating or drastically reducing other smoke toxins.

Like tobacco, marijuana smoke contains toxins that are known to be hazardous to the respiratory system. Among them are the highly carcinogenic polynuclear aromatic hydrocarbons, a prime suspect in cigarette-related cancers. These toxins are essentially a byproduct of combustion, separate from the pharmaceutically active components of marijuana, known as cannabinoids, which include THC. Although there is no proof that marijuana smoking causes cancer, chronic pot smokers have been shown to suffer an elevated risk of bronchitis and respiratory infections. Respiratory disease due to smoking may therefore rightly be regarded as the primary physiological hazard of marijuana.

Cannabis vaporizers are designed to let users inhale active cannabinoids while avoiding harmful smoke toxins. They do so by heating cannabis to a temperature of 180 - 200° C (356° - 392° F), just below the point of combustion where smoke is produced. At this point, THC and other medically active cannabinoids are emitted with little or none of the carcinogenic tars and noxious gases found in smoke. Many medical marijuana patients who find smoked marijuana highly irritating report effective relief inhaling through vaporizers. Users who are concerned about the respiratory hazards of smoking are strongly advised to use vaporizers. Alternative devices, such as waterpipes, have been shown to be ineffective at reducing the tars in marijuana smoke (Report).

Many models of vaporizer are currently on the market. A review of the various types can be find at www.vaporinfo.com. Following is a list of some products currently advertised on the Internet:...

http://www.canorml.org/healthfacts/vaporizers.html
25th May 2006 01:15 PM
nankerphelge Between inordinant amounts of coffee, alcohol, cell phone use, red meat, fried food, high stress, lack of sleep, and really loud Stones music, I am not about to worry about whether any other vices do or don't cause cancer.

Puff on McDuff...
25th May 2006 01:25 PM
jb I have constant muscle twitching and cramping..far worse as it is terminal if ALS.
[Edited by jb]
25th May 2006 01:31 PM
Martha
quote:
jb wrote:
I have constant muscle twitching and cramping..far worse as it is terminal if ALS.
[Edited by jb]

You have a stress-induced dealio going on jb. I suffer from PTSD and have aches and pains all the time...especially in my neck (right side).

I have a hard time chilling out (anxiety disorder). Da Herb is the best remedy I've found...not too intense (no puking) and it kills the constant nausea I've had for the past 3+ years.

Antidepressants do not help me at all as they are initially stimulative...just like acid/peyote, etc.

Now that it's been mentioned I think I may have a "cup o tea" later on today. :-)

peace out,

Martha
25th May 2006 01:37 PM
pdog PTSD for me too...
For years the symptome were a reoccuring rask of felonies and then I'd beakout in handcuffs. Today I have mild insominia!
25th May 2006 01:50 PM
MrPleasant New justifications for irresponsible behaviour.
25th May 2006 01:52 PM
jb
quote:
MrPleasant wrote:
New justifications for irresponsible behaviour.

mien lieb abs shae monkey
25th May 2006 01:57 PM
MrPleasant
quote:
jb wrote:

mien lieb abs shae monkey

This is the new millenium, and we're still under the logic of the "bedroom train" house: all tight up and locked.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)