ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Happy Birthday Charlie!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: madonna? Return to archive
24th May 2006 04:19 PM
chevysales always picks the groups that won't put up much of a fuss but still get her the press she longs for... ie the catholic church and her tour/show closing crucifixtion?

read somewhere she wanted to she was going to stir up the muslim faith but decided against it as it wasn't safe for her and her family... wow some deep thinking into that one.

is the material girl for real or what?

i'll never forget the mtv award show and her breakout performance with her doing "like a virgin" in the wedding dress humping the stage... now that was "cutting edge" then, some real great stuff that particular performance was.
24th May 2006 04:31 PM
pdog She changed a video to not offend a few years ago. She's all biz and PR. She thinks she's cutting edge, she does what I call, look like your edgey w/o really being edgey.
24th May 2006 04:33 PM
jb I don't like her, but cannot deny her huge success..she is, more popular than the Stones.
24th May 2006 04:54 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
pdog wrote:
She thinks she's cutting edge, she does what I call, look like your edgey w/o really being edgey.

"look like your edgey w/o really being edgey" - Wow! Thats a very clever and catchy name for that. Quite snappy. Well done.
24th May 2006 04:55 PM
MrPleasant skank?
24th May 2006 04:57 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
MrPleasant wrote:
skank?

Yes. I prefer to refer to her as "OLD WHORE"
24th May 2006 05:00 PM
MrPleasant
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:

Yes. I prefer to refer to her as "OLD WHORE"

MILTF A D H A*?

*and dump her afterwards?

AMERICAN LIFE: WORST ALBUM OF THE NOUGHTIES?
24th May 2006 07:10 PM
LadyJane An independent, savvy and strong willed woman.

Like her music or not, you CANNOT deny her influence over the past 20 plus years.

A master at recreating herself.

Kudos.

LJ.
24th May 2006 07:23 PM
sirmoonie I have always liked Madonna, from the first time she caught my eye back in the "Borderline" and "Lucky Star" days to her new stuff. Her newest releases, Ray of Light and Music, are the best things she has ever done. And I'm saying this as a person who doesn't like mainstream pop, and doesn't for some reason relate to female artists' music/vokes. Madonna has fucking rocked for decades now. And she's sexy as all hell to boot.
24th May 2006 07:42 PM
the good She is a talented artist, but she is also the perfect example of an idiotic and hypocritical celebrity. She doesn't let her kids watch TV because of all the trash on it? She decries the fact that MTV has become overly sexual? Give me a break. She is responsible for more of the garbage in American pop culture than anybody else.
24th May 2006 07:46 PM
Riffhard She is a savy bussiness woman no doubt. However,I have a problem with her constantly using the image of the cross as a means to simply create a reaction. It's so transparent as to why she does this kind of thing. Imagine if she were to prostrate herself in S&M gear while streched across a Islamic Cresent?! There would be a goddamned jihad on her ass before she could finish singing Like A Virgin! She would never turn a Star of David into a giant mirror ball and then simulate masterbation.

It is just that for some reason it's just fine to shit all over Christian symbolism. I'm no bible thumper,but it is hypocritical as fuck. Madonna is a media manipulator of the highest order so if she has to offend an entire relgion in order to get press more power to her,right? God knows the press would never chastize her for slamming Christianity. Let her try it with Islam and see how quick the press would slam her for being insensitive though! That is a fact and you know it.

Riffy
24th May 2006 08:03 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
Riffhard wrote:
She is a savy bussiness woman no doubt. However,I have a problem with her constantly using the image of the cross as a means to simply create a reaction. It's so transparent as to why she does this kind of thing. Imagine if she were to prostrate herself in S&M gear while streched across a Islamic Cresent?! There would be a goddamned jihad on her ass before she could finish singing Like A Virgin! She would never turn a Star of David into a giant mirror ball and then simulate masterbation.

It is just that for some reason it's just fine to shit all over Christian symbolism. I'm no bible thumper,but it is hypocritical as fuck. Madonna is a media manipulator of the highest order so if she has to offend an entire relgion in order to get press more power to her,right? God knows the press would never chastize her for slamming Christianity. Let her try it with Islam and see how quick the press would slam her for being insensitive though! That is a fact and you know it.

Riffy

Riffy, I don't know that as a fact at all. The press is slamming her now - that why we are talking about it.

I agree she tries to use weird Christian symbolism, and usually does it to try to piss people off. (Who cares is my thought - she's doing it Stones style!). Anyway, she has serious sex issues as virtually all Catholic women do.

But, if Madonna slammed Islam (please god - oh please god - I want to see Maddonna slam Islam), (1) she would either get the same reaction as she is getting now, or (2) no one would care. My bet is the latter. The conspiracy issues you conjure up don't even get parlayed on Fox.
24th May 2006 08:05 PM
Paranoid_Android Madonna is AWESOME...the new CD is fantastic and her career is a totally valid one...where are all her contemporaries from 20 years ago today? kylie Monouge (sp) is the closest to her world wide...and still a distant 2nd...Britany will not be around in 10 years, let alone 20...she's just a trash news item these days.
24th May 2006 08:10 PM
glencar Madonna had "it" years ago but she's been off the radar for at least 5 or 6 years. Maybe that "Music" song was the last one that was an actual hit. She may be bigger than the Stones but that's only in the gay community. And to think about challenging Islam but then back off & do the old crucifixion thing is pretty lame.
24th May 2006 08:18 PM
Riffhard
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:

Anyway, she has serious sex issues as virtually all Catholic women do.

A very astute point,Moonie!! LOL!

quote:
sirmoonie wrote:

But, if Madonna slammed Islam (please god - oh please god - I want to see Maddonna slam Islam), (1) she would either get the same reaction as she is getting now, or (2) no one would care. My bet is the latter. The conspiracy issues you conjure up don't even get parlayed on Fox.

On this I seriously disagree with you. Were she to slam Islam(and like you I would love to see it),she would surely suffer the same fate as those who have done so before. Just ask Saldam Rushdie,Theo Van Gough,or any number of Danish cartoonists how easily Islam accepts the ridicule of their barbaric death cult!

Riffy
24th May 2006 08:33 PM
glencar http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20060524/t/r4028476373.jpg
24th May 2006 08:42 PM
Joey
quote:
LadyJane wrote:
An independent, savvy and strong willed woman.

Like her music or not, you CANNOT deny her influence over the past 20 plus years.

A master at recreating herself.

Kudos.

LJ.

Madonna is my favorite Lesbian
24th May 2006 09:49 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
Riffhard wrote:

A very astute point,Moonie!! LOL!

On this I seriously disagree with you. Were she to slam Islam(and like you I would love to see it),she would surely suffer the same fate as those who have done so before. Just ask Saldam Rushdie,Theo Van Gough,or any number of Danish cartoonists how easily Islam accepts the ridicule of their barbaric death cult!

Riffy

No. Wrong. Double snow shake skunk wrong. What I reasonably and understandably thought your point was, especially in light of what I understand your beliefs to be, are that she gets off lightly for making whatever the hell statements she is makking about Christianity, and hypothetically (very hypothetically) would get off free in the media if she dinged Islam.

I disagree with that principle completely, but your your reply was to say that her life would be like that of Van Gogh. I agree that is likely, but it has nothing to do with the premise I understood you to be stating.
24th May 2006 10:07 PM
time is on my side Madonna????

Never particularly cared for her or her music which has little, if anything, in common with STONES type music.

From my point of view, she's all image with not much actual substance behind it (imo). She's great at generating tons of press and publicity which is the real secret behind her success.

Is she influential??? Absolutely. Take a look at the Top 200 albums and many of the artist on it owe a huge debt to her (her motto- it's all about image & press- talent is a secondary consideration).

As for that image that seems to fascinate so many people, let me be diplomatic and just say it's not my cup of tea.

[Edited by time is on my side]
24th May 2006 10:26 PM
chevysales personally i never found her to be sexy in any way... but again that humping of the stage during mtv awards put her on the map. very cool to watch... this was early 80's... but i distinctly remember her being talked about for quite sometime after, again putting her on the map.

she has since done the same type of media thing getting her the exposure needed at times for self promotion... wether it be via her sexuality (read that black and white photo book) denis rodman, warren, sean, etc.

she is/was very good at media manipulation for her promotion.
24th May 2006 10:32 PM
Riffhard
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:

No. Wrong. Double snow shake skunk wrong. What I reasonably and understandably thought your point was, especially in light of what I understand your beliefs to be, are that she gets off lightly for making whatever the hell statements she is makking about Christianity, and hypothetically (very hypothetically) would get off free in the media if she dinged Islam.

An easy misundermoofing I feel Moonie! I have no doubt that the media would be all over her if she were to portray Islam as anything but the "religion of Peace" that I keep hearing about.

Riffy
24th May 2006 10:38 PM
sirmoonie She was good YEARS ago at media manip, but c'mon the liberal media has so fucking turned against her - all she has to do is make a glib, one sentence off the cuff statement like she's a veggie or she doesn't like George Walker Bush III, and the next thing you know she is renouncing fucking god and America, etc. She can't manipulate the media anymore than Splash Henry can these days. Madonna has talent and it continues to sell, despite her fucks ups (see movies, politics, etc.)
24th May 2006 11:39 PM
pdog
quote:
Riffhard wrote:
She is a savy bussiness woman no doubt. However,I have a problem with her constantly using the image of the cross as a means to simply create a reaction. It's so transparent as to why she does this kind of thing. Imagine if she were to prostrate herself in S&M gear while streched across a Islamic Cresent?! There would be a goddamned jihad on her ass before she could finish singing Like A Virgin! She would never turn a Star of David into a giant mirror ball and then simulate masterbation.

Riffy

She is Susan Cicconne, a Catholic, not a jew or muslim.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)