ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Happy Birthday Charlie!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Convince my friend that the stones rock Return to archive Page: 1 2
23rd May 2006 08:48 PM
nairbog Ok, so I'm playing Rocks Off at my house the other day, kicking it with my friend and some beer/pot. I start talking about how great a song it is (I'm drunk), and he remarks: "I hate the rolling stones." Me: "why's that?" Him: "They were just average, and way too commercial and poppy, they were O-K then, but why listen to them now?" (keep in mind he loves 60's music: Velvet Underground, Beatles, Hendrix, Dylan etc.) Please help me out with convincing him he's wrong on this, i.e. quotations from other artists I know he'd like complimenting the stones. I just want to shut him down badly, give me some material. He's one of the most pretentious music snobs I know, and he's horribly wrong alot of the time.
[Edited by nairbog]
23rd May 2006 08:58 PM
texile its useless -
stones fans are a breed alone....
we GET it.
there's nothing you can do...
they either feel it or they don't.
its sad, really.
23rd May 2006 09:11 PM
doo doo doo Dude Beatles fans are always intimidated by the Mighty Rolling Stones.

As they should be...
23rd May 2006 09:13 PM
parmeda The next time your friend stops by, nair...

1. have plenty of beer
2. have plenty of weed
3. allow him to get pretty whacked
4. AFTERMATH followed by EXILE - play them LOUD

...if that doesn't convince him, kick his drunken stupid ass to the curb.
23rd May 2006 09:36 PM
the good
quote:
nairbog wrote:
Ok, so I'm playing Rocks Off at my house the other day, kicking it with my friend and some beer/pot. I start talking about how great a song it is (I'm drunk), and he remarks: "I hate the rolling stones." Me: "why's that?" Him: "They were just average, and way too commercial and poppy, they were O-K then, but why listen to them now?" (keep in mind he loves 60's music: Velvet Underground, Beatles, Hendrix, Dylan etc.) [Edited by nairbog]

Your friend is an idiot. They were way too commercial and Poppy? But he likes the Beatles??? HAHAHA!
23rd May 2006 09:38 PM
MrPleasant Why is he your friend?
23rd May 2006 09:43 PM
nairbog
quote:
MrPleasant wrote:
Why is he your friend?

I was wondering the same thing.
23rd May 2006 09:59 PM
ebmp
quote:
parmeda wrote:

4. AFTERMATH followed by EXILE - play them LOUD

...if that doesn't convince him, kick his drunken stupid ass to the curb.

You don't get Exile on the first listen... It's way more complex and genious than that. I liked like 6 songs when I first listened to it, now I think it's the best album ever.
23rd May 2006 10:27 PM
texile
quote:
ebmp wrote:

You don't get Exile on the first listen... It's way more complex and genious than that. I liked like 6 songs when I first listened to it, now I think it's the best album ever.

it took me YEARS to absorb....
NEVER do that to a virgin stones fan -
it will intimidate the shit out of them.
23rd May 2006 11:10 PM
nairbog I was never much of a stones fan simply because I had never heard much of them, and then downloaded Exile. Loved it my first listen, /shrug. Still don't have any kickass quotes from other respected rockers on the stones, chop chop people!
23rd May 2006 11:51 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
nairbog wrote:
Ok, so I'm playing Rocks Off at my house the other day, kicking it with my friend and some beer/pot. I start talking about how great a song it is (I'm drunk), and he remarks: "I hate the rolling stones." Me: "why's that?" Him: "They were just average, and way too commercial and poppy, they were O-K then, but why listen to them now?" (keep in mind he loves 60's music: Velvet Underground, Beatles, Hendrix, Dylan etc.) Please help me out with convincing him he's wrong on this, i.e. quotations from other artists I know he'd like complimenting the stones. I just want to shut him down badly, give me some material. He's one of the most pretentious music snobs I know, and he's horribly wrong alot of the time.
[Edited by nairbog]

Your friend sickens me. I don't you too well, but my bet is that you will end up sickening me to.
24th May 2006 12:49 AM
nairbog Well I'm nothing like my friend, cool post I guess though?
24th May 2006 02:02 AM
Dan Who gives a shit? Like I want to compete with that wanker for concert tickets.
24th May 2006 04:41 AM
Angiegirl Your friend is absolutely right.
24th May 2006 05:28 AM
Ronnie Richards Why do you need "kickass quotes from other respected rockers on the stones"? Just kick his ass and put him on your enemy list!
24th May 2006 10:19 AM
Fadeout_Freedom expose him to some album cuts:

Down The Road Apiece
She Said Yeah
Stray Cat Blues
Monkey Man
Bitch
All Down The Line
Star Star
Crazy Mama
Where The Boys Go
When The Whip Comes Down (LIVE)
Slave
Little T&A
Look What The Cat Dragged In
24th May 2006 10:25 AM
Ihavelotsajam
quote:
nairbog wrote:
I was never much of a stones fan simply because I had never heard much of them, and then downloaded Exile.

Did it occur to you that your friend probably never heard anything but Start Me Up et al either? 99% of the time when someone bashes an artist it's because they don't know shit about them. Why didn't you ask him how much he knows? When he lists you 3 songs, tell him case closed, he's not qualified to judge them.
[Edited by Ihavelotsajam]
24th May 2006 11:06 AM
Saint Sway
quote:
the good wrote:

Your friend is an idiot. They were way too commercial and Poppy? But he likes the Beatles??? HAHAHA!

Ha! EXACTLY!!! Well put.

to be quite honest, NairBog, time to ditch this friend. I like that hes a music snob, but if he doesnt dig the Stones then why hang out with him. I am in my mid 30s and have successfully weeded out all my non Stones loving friends. I simply have no time or interest in being around people who dont dig the Stones. I listen to them everyday wherever I am. Literally 24 hours a day. I cant stand to be around anyone that doesnt like them.

trust me you will be better off once you follow my lead and ditch anyone that hates the Stones.

*NOTE: this includes family members
24th May 2006 11:11 AM
jb Beatles dead....Beatles=pussies
24th May 2006 11:13 AM
MemoFromTinaTurner
quote:
the good wrote:

That's exactly what I was thinking.

No offense dude, but your friend is a dumbass.
24th May 2006 11:16 AM
PeerQueer
quote:
jb wrote:
Beatles dead....Beatles=pussies

thus Beatles = JB???
24th May 2006 11:37 AM
jb
quote:
PeerQueer wrote:

thus Beatles = JB???

No one cares about your posts.....you think that you are gaining some status by attacking me? It hasn't worked!! I am friends with Gazza, Voodooo, Jaxx. Moreover, you may not even realize that SS and I are friends.....you think he will you more b/c you added to his thread?(well, he might) . I have generally not responded to you, but I must say, after 10 yrs of posting, you, along with 2 others, are the only people I would never want to meet. I may be a pussy....but what, really, are you? What, really, are you? And is being a pussy that big a deal? What is a pussy? I know when I traveled and met people no one called me a pussy to my face....Iimagine some big tough guy would have tried to kick my ass by now as Iam a big pussy....but it's never happened. I guess being a pussy is not that bad a thing at all....
[Edited by jb]
24th May 2006 11:44 AM
Ten Thousand Motels It's allright. If everyone were a Stones fan it would cheapen the currency.
24th May 2006 01:24 PM
Some Guy Get all your party essentials in order, call your buddy and play 4 Flicks dvd!
24th May 2006 03:49 PM
Chuck Next time your friend is over:

1. Play some live Stones.

2. Play some live Beatles.

3. Laugh in his face.
24th May 2006 03:55 PM
Some Guy Play Emotional Rescue
24th May 2006 04:06 PM
PeerQueer [quote]jb wrote:

No one cares about your posts.....you think that you are gaining some status by attacking me? It hasn't worked!! I am friends with Gazza, Voodooo, Jaxx. Moreover, you may not even realize that SS and I are friends.....you think he will you more b/c you added to his thread?(well, he might) . I have generally not responded to you, but I must say, after 10 yrs of posting, you, along with 2 others, are the only people I would never want to meet. I may be a pussy....but what, really, are you? What, really, are you? And is being a pussy that big a deal? What is a pussy? I know when I traveled and met people no one called me a pussy to my face....Iimagine some big tough guy would have tried to kick my ass by now as Iam a big pussy....but it's never happened. I guess being a pussy is not that bad a thing at all....
[Edited by jb]
________

Easy old timer - I wasn't attacking you. Far from it!

All in jest.

And I really doubt we shall ever meet, as you couldn't afford the cover charge...

P.S. --Are you familiar with Micheal Mopsick???
24th May 2006 04:50 PM
jb
quote:
PeerQueer wrote:
[quote]jb wrote:

[Edited by jb]
________

Easy old timer - I wasn't attacking you. Far from it!

All in jest.

And I really doubt we shall ever meet, as you couldn't afford the cover charge...

P.S. --Are you familiar with Micheal Mopsick???

Well, I won't put youintio that category as those 2 really did cross the line...but it is obvious we shall never be friends...carry on as you wish.
24th May 2006 05:24 PM
PeerQueer
quote:
jb wrote:

Well, I won't put youintio that category as those 2 really did cross the line...but it is obvious we shall never be friends...carry on as you wish.

Perhaps lovers????

I have a weak spot for middle-class Jewish men...
24th May 2006 10:09 PM
Turd OnThe Run Excerpt from a John Lennon Rolling Stone interview, 1971.

What do you think of the Stones today?

I think it's a lot of hype. I like ``Honky Tonk Women,'' but I think Mick's a joke with all that fag dancing; I always did. I enjoy it; I'll probably go and see his films and all like everybody else, but really, I think it's a joke.

Do you see him much now?

No, I never do see him. We saw a bit of each other when Allen [Klein, Beatles' late-period manager] was first coming in - I think Mick got jealous. I was always very respectful of Mick and the Stones, but he said a lot of sort of tarty things about the Beatles, which I am hurt by because, you know, I can knock the Beatles, but don't let Mick Jagger knock them. I would like to just list what we did and what the Stones did two months after on every fuckin' album. Every fuckin' thing we did, Mick does exactly the same - he imitates us. And I would like one of you fuckin' underground people to point it out. You know, Satanic Majesties is Pepper; ``We Love You,'' it's the most fuckin' bullshit, that's ``All You Need Is Love.'' I resent the implication that the Stones are like revolutionaries and that the Beatles weren't. If the Stones were or are, the Beatles really were, too. But they are not in the same class, musicwise or powerwise, never were. I never said anything, I always admired them, because I like their funky music, and I like their style. I like rock & roll and the direction they took after they got over trying to imitate us. He's obviously so upset by how big the Beatles are compared with him, he never got over it. Now he's in his old age, and he is beginning to knock us, you know, and he keeps knocking. I resent it, because even his second fuckin' record, we wrote it for him. Mick said, ``Peace made money.'' We didn't make any money from peace.

Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)