ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Happy Birthday Charlie!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Willie wants to tour with the Stones Return to archive
23rd May 2006 09:15 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Country legend Nelson spreads "The Tao of Willie"
Mon May 22, 2006

NEW YORK (Reuters) - At 73, country music legend Willie Nelson is still doing headstands and smoking joints in the back of a tour bus at hundreds of concerts and, far from slowing down, he'd like to tour with the Rolling Stones.

"They like country music, we get along fine and Keith (Richards) is a good buddy of mine, so that would be good," Nelson said, adding that he's not much of a dancer compared to Stones front man Mick Jagger but he might give it a try.

"He keeps the microphone in his hand so he can walk around and kick -- I may try that next year," he said with a chuckle.

"We've talked about it for years and it's just hasn't ever happened," Nelson said of a joint tour.

Meanwhile, fresh from two weeks of gigs in Canada, he's spreading a bit of Texas wisdom in a book called "The Tao of Willie," co-authored with writer and actor Turk Pipkin, who describes the book as the result of 20 years of friendship.

Best known for such classic songs as "Always on My Mind," "On the Road Again" and "Crazy," Nelson has recorded 250 albums, written 2,500 songs and played live concerts for some 20 million people in a career spanning half a century.

The long-haired author of "Mammas Don't Let Your Babies Grow up to Be Cowboys" raised some eyebrows earlier this year when he recorded a song about gay cowboys called "Cowboys are Frequently Secretly (Fond of Each Other)."

Nelson said the book, published this month, came about more by accident than by design.

Turk came up with the idea, and I said great," Nelson said in an interview. "I wasn't lying in bed wondering, 'Oh I wish I could do the Tao.' I had to do a little research on the word myself to figure out how to say it and spell it.

"When I first saw it, it was the toe of Willie, so I thought 'Great, next year we'll do the finger."'

Don't worry if you don't know much about Tao, he writes, explaining that it is a philosophy of life based on a Chinese text called the Tao Te Ching, or "The Way and Its Power."

There are more jokes than heavy philosophy in the book, which is part memoir, part musing on lessons he has learned -- from picking cotton as a child in Texas, to failed marriages and falling foul of the tax man to the tune of $17 million.

SONGS AND WIVES THAT GOT AWAY

"I'm sure I made a lot of mistakes," Nelson said with a smile, sitting in a luxury suite at New York's Carlyle Hotel, a whiff of marijuana drifting down the corridor.

Nelson admits he's had a few run-ins with the law over his pot smoking habits. "If you're going to be out there with it, somebody's going to pull you over, just because they can. ... I talk about it a lot, but I'm not going to walk into some police station burning one down and say, 'How are you all doing?"

He says the pot smoking hasn't hindered his songwriting. On the contrary, it may have helped filter out the duds.

"I figured if it wasn't worth remembering it probably wasn't a very good song, so that would be the test, to see if I remembered it until I got back to a guitar or a piano," he said. "That was usually a pretty good measuring stick, but I'm sure I forgot a few that might have been OK."
[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
23rd May 2006 11:08 AM
egon I'd like to SEE the tour of the stones.
The waiting, the waiting...
23rd May 2006 11:09 AM
jb 100% will never happen....this is it folks!!! Sorry baby Egon.
23rd May 2006 11:32 AM
PeerQueer
quote:
jb wrote:
100% will never happen....this is it folks!!! Sorry baby Egon.

________

Please keep your sex life out of this...
23rd May 2006 12:33 PM
jb
quote:
jb wrote:
100% will never happen....this is it folks!!! Sorry baby Egon.

Willie loves the spleef!!!
23rd May 2006 12:39 PM
Some Guy Willies tag line:

I burn more than you do
23rd May 2006 03:14 PM
kath it'd be fanfuckintastic!!!!!! go willie, go!!!!!

23rd May 2006 03:17 PM
Saint Sway Willie must be high. This aint gonna a happen.

unless he joins the Black Eyed Peas or Maroon Five or some other pop band.

a shame too. I love Willie Nelson. Would love to see him join Keith onstage for The Worst. That would be such a treat.

oh well...
23rd May 2006 03:20 PM
jb This will never happen..don't even think about it for a second. mick hates keith;thus Mick hates Willie.(old)
23rd May 2006 07:02 PM
Left Shoe Shuffle
quote:
"We've talked about it for years and it's just hasn't ever happened," Nelson said of a joint tour.

Every tour of Willie's is a joint tour...

Go see him with John Fogerty this summer.

[Edited by Left Shoe Shuffle]
23rd May 2006 07:30 PM
Soldatti It won't happen.
23rd May 2006 08:07 PM
FrankiePeppers Just to see the Stones and Willie do a country/western gig with each others' songs would be a great one night stand.

Something like that would be WAY to daring for the Stones. Let's not have them go out on a limb and just do something different. However, the Black Crowes might take a shot at it! Saint Sway, take it from here. . .
23rd May 2006 11:03 PM
Mahatma Kane Jeeves I'd pay to see it!
24th May 2006 03:37 PM
Make It Funky I reckon that the Crowes could play Willie tunes, and Willie could play accoustic crowes tunes, and the two of them could team up towards the end of each concert, and jam on reggae cover tunes by Toots & the Maytals, Desmond Dekker & Marley classics... Helluva great idea!!!

cheers!
24th May 2006 03:41 PM
Chuck The Stones AND Willie?

Hale mu fugin yay ya!!!
24th May 2006 03:45 PM
Saint Sway I reckon they could smoke a barrell of ganga together.

Crowes & Willie both cover "Do Right Woman". So theres a starting point. Plus all the other Gram, George Jones etc. It would be fun. Willie's all right man. One cool mutha.

Chris & Rich have been working on doing a run of shows with an icon even bigger than Willie.
24th May 2006 03:47 PM
Saint Sway still... as cool as it would be w/Crowes. I'd still rather see Keith and Willie put on a show. The 2 performances I've seen by them together were too cool. I want 2 see a 3rd!!!
24th May 2006 05:06 PM
MrPleasant Just don't let him sing Bridge Over Troubled Water... EVER again!!!
25th May 2006 12:23 AM
Bloozehound
quote:
jb wrote:
This will never happen..don't even think about it for a second. mick hates keith;thus Mick hates Willie.(old)

exactly

25th May 2006 03:33 PM
kath http://www.comedycentral.com/mother...?ml_video=69277
25th May 2006 04:29 PM
keefjunkie
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
I reckon they could smoke a barrell of ganga together.

Crowes & Willie both cover "Do Right Woman". So theres a starting point. Plus all the other Gram, George Jones etc. It would be fun. Willie's all right man. One cool mutha.

Chris & Rich have been working on doing a run of shows with an icon even bigger than Willie.

Sway, do you personally know the crowes?
25th May 2006 04:36 PM
Saint Sway yes sir

btw, isnt it your bday? shouldnt be drunk off your ass by now. Step away from the msg board and pour some JD
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)