ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

The Bang by TT!
Radrennbahn Weisensee, East Berlin, German Democratic Republic - 13th August 1990

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: What song/s did the late Jack Nitzsche arrange for the Stones ? Return to archive
05-24-03 12:27 PM
KL70 Does anyone know exactly what song or song/s the late Jack Nitzsche (a film music score composer, who passed away 3 years ago) apparently arranged for the Stones in the 60's ?
05-24-03 12:31 PM
Moonisup with thanks to: Time is on our side:

JACK NITZSCHE (1937-2000)

Chicago born Jack Nitzsche staked an incredible career as a behind-the-scenes player, producer and arranger for many rock artists, most notably the Rolling Stones.

A keyboardist and percussionist in his own right, Nitzsche moved to Los Angeles in the 1950s where he became a fixture of the musical scene there. After teaming up with Sonny Bono, he started a fruitful association in the early-to-mid 1960s with Phil Spector as an arranger, helping him build the famous Wall of Sound on recordings by the Ronettes, the Crystals, the Righteous Brothers and other artists. Because Andrew Oldham forged a friendship with Phil Spector in early 1964, when the Stones started recording in Los Angeles at the end of the same year, they were inevitably introduced to Jack Nitzsche as well, who became an important collaborator with the Stones for the next few years and occasionally beyond. He worked with them as an arranger and occasional musical contributor, playing keyboards and percussion (e.g. Down Home Girl, Heart of Stone, Play with Fire, Satisfaction and many Aftermath tracks) on the albums The Rolling Stones Now!, Out of Our Heads, December's Children and Aftermath (the albums they recorded primarily in L.A.). His last work of this period with the Stones was in the early sessions for Between the Buttons in August 1966, when he contributed to songs like Let's Spend the Night Together and Yesterday's Papers.

When the Stones started recording in London again (late 1966), their association with Nitzsche ended for the moment, while Nitzsche worked with Buffalo Springfield among others (which led to a long career working with Neil Young). Nitzsche and the Stones met up again in 1968, when Nitzsche was called on to handle the soundtrack for the movie Performance. That led to Nitzsche working with the Stones again, handling the choral arrangements for You Can't Always Get What You Want and playing piano on Sister Morphine in early 1969.

Thereafter Nitzsche specialized in making film soundtracks, but he did team up again with the Stones for the It's Only Rock and Roll album in 1974, contributing keyboards and percussion. His last stint with the Stones was for Emotional Rescue, when they hired him to arrange horns for that album. Jack Nitzsche died of cardiac arrest in August 2000.

The first time I met (the Stones) was when they walked into RCA Studios and the session just stopped because no one had ever seen anyone who looked like that. I'd never met British people before so they had these funny accents. I'd heard their records, which hadn't impressed me, but THEY did. The Rolling Stones were the first rock and roll band I met that were intelligent. They can make conversation with anyone, which on top of all that superstardom must freak people out. Up until then all the rock and rollers I met seemed to be assholes. The Stones were the first ones I saw say fuck you to everybody.

- Jack Nitzsche

Jack Nitzsche was Phil (Spector)'s arranger and a very important part of that whole sound. It was Jack's idea of harmonies and spacing. But it's nice he's singing with Crazy Horse now. He couldn't stand to... to even get him to play the piano you used to have to do a whole Jack number. It's great he's doing it.

- Keith Richards, 1971

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST
Licks World Tour 2002 - 2003