ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

The Bang by TT!
Radrennbahn Weisensee, East Berlin, German Democratic Republic - 13th August 1990

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Covers of Stones Songs Return to archive
05-20-03 10:58 PM
DanDan Hey guys I'm new to the board. I am putting together a compilation disc of classic Stones songs that have been covered by other artists. I'm looking for big-name artists and/or different and interesting takes on our Stones faves. Heres what I have so far:

Rage Against the Machine- Street Fighting Man
Otis Redding- (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction
The Who- Under my Thumb
Jewel- Wild Horses (my personal favorite)
The Corrs- Ruby Tuesday
Ike and Tina Turner- Honky Tonk Woman
Aretha Franklin- Jumping Jack Flash
Guns n Roses- Dead Flowers & Sympathy for the Devil
Dr. Dre- Miss You (Remix)
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers- Time is on my Side
Soundgarden- Stray Cat Blues

Any other suggestions guys?
05-23-03 07:36 AM
magicwoman actually i hate it when bands covered songs from the stones or wich band.It's a lack on creativity come on and write your own songs
05-23-03 08:47 AM
JaggerLips Britney Spears (I can't get no) Satisfaction

I should know I have got that album it is on!

05-23-03 11:06 AM
Lazy Bones
quote:
DanDan wrote:
Guns n Roses- Dead Flowers & Sympathy for the Devil

I never knew Guners did Dead Flowers. Gilby Clarke (ex. guitarist) has a rendition of Dead Flowers on his solo album "Pawnshop Guitars" (1994). It's quite good. Here's the tracks' line up:

Gilby: Guitars, Vocals
Waddy Wachtel: Lead guitar
Rob Affuso: Drums, Percussion
Will Effertz: Bass
W. Axl Rose: Piano, Vocals

Here's an mp3 of it (track 4 under mp3):
http://mitglied.lycos.de/ChristianWileschek/multimedia.htm

05-23-03 11:15 AM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
magicwoman wrote:
actually i hate it when bands covered songs from the stones or wich band.It's a lack on creativity come on and write your own songs

i disagree mw - a cover version doesn't necessarily mean a lack of creativity -

a cover of a song can be as creative (or even more so ) than a song that purports to be original

and i'm sure you'd appreciate the stones were originally a covers band and some of their best work (if not the best) is songs they didn't write - it's the singer not the song!!

...and there is nothing new under the sun

however, i agree insofar as i generally find stones covers by male vocalists dull and redundant but it's always interesting to hear a female take on things

so as for the original post - some of my favourites

the reigning sound "i'd much rather be with boys" - (but nasty has already grabbed that for BLAME IT IN THE STONES) -and speaking of BIOTS - and contradicting myself - the devil dogs do a great "it's not easy", recorded in '92 it sounds just like the saints circa '76

dead flowers - cowboy junkies

ruby tuesday - melanie

satisfaction - cat power

and believe it or not - bette midler's "beast of burden"

it's a pity nina simone didn't do "GS" or "YCAGWYW" at the same time she did "just like tom thumb's blues"

what i'd like to hear is a female vocal of "i'd much rather the girls (then with boys like you)" (sic.) or indeed, "i'd much rather be with boys"!! - polly harvey would be a likely contender

[Edited by stonedinaustralia]
05-23-03 05:13 PM
rogerriffin i posted this info in days ago, check it and tell me... you need any more???

http://www.novogate.com/board/968/A...3/147749-1.html

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST
Licks World Tour 2002 - 2003