ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

The Bang by TT!
Radrennbahn Weisensee, East Berlin, German Democratic Republic - 13th August 1990

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: winter today Return to archive
05-20-03 07:19 PM
T&A FPM:

I love that live JW And album alot - it was the first Winter album I owned. But, it's from his "rock" period, which he has pretty much disavowed. There is a recent interview on his official site in which he discusses his favorite albums - and he pretty much wants to distance himself from the rock albums. His favorite (and mine) period is the collaboration era with Muddy in the late 70's.

And, I totally agree with you regarding his slide playing - he blew everyone outta the water in his prime. But, I think you can make the argument about his straight playing too. The thing about Johnny that sets him apart is not just his unbelievably fast fingers, but the logical construction of the solos combined with the speed. His thought process is amazing- and he's fucking RELENTLESS - just when you think it's time for him to take a "breather" he steps on the pedal even harder. And he's absolutely clean - he just doesn't hit bum notes, even with his unmatched speed - unlike, say, Alvin Lee, who can play fast, but at a cost of "accuracy." JW is THE man.
05-21-03 12:04 AM
FPM C10 Amen to everything you said, my brother or sister. ("T&A" could refer to something you're enthusiastic about or your most prized possessions). Just like the Stones pointed the way to the real blues, Johnny got my attention in high school with his rock & roll stuff and then hooked me with the blues. Me and my buddies listened to "Second Winter" and "Johnny Winter And" and the live album a LOT - in fact, I got a blue crushed velvet jacket like the one he wore on the cover of that one and wore it with jeans and boots and sholder-length hair. I'd forgotten that until I saw the jpeg in the other thread.

I cannot thank him enough for the Muddy Waters albums he produced - I'd heard Muddy, but seeing Johnny on the back of "Hard Again" made me say "hmmm...can't go wrong with THIS", and I became a died-in-the-wool WORSHIPPER of Muddy from that day on. Those great Blue Sky albums are still what I recommend to all and sundry as an excellent introduction to Muddy.

Boy, wouldn't Johnny have sounded great with the Stones in, say, '73 or '74? Like a team-up on "Silver Train", perhaps? Wonder why that never happened. They were obviously admirers.
05-21-03 07:55 AM
Factory Girl Boy, I'm really glad I saw this thread. I agree with your thoughts on JW. What I love about JW's playing, is the raw emotion factor. Another thing that I love about JW is that his music just makes one feel so good. Meaning this-his music is just so vital.

FPM-check out his "Master Mechanic" and "Good Time Women" for the pie factor.

T&A-always a pleasure to meet another JW fan.
05-21-03 10:16 AM
T&A My apologies for starting yet another JW thread - it was intended to be a reply on the original.

It's "brother", btw....T&A is just a Stonesy way of expressing my initials.

Yes, those Blue Sky albums - both JW's and MW's - are among my favorites for both artists. The MW slide playing on a couple of the slow blues songs on Muddy Mississippi Waters Live is out of this world. There's a great, great 2cd boot of a Paris '76 Muddy show that is perhaps my favorite blues concert ever - Muddy is just on fire that night.

Anyway - glad to meet a couple of other JW admirers. I'm very glad I got a chance to see the man (1984 in Palo Alto, CA) during his prime. Also got to see Muddy twice in the early 80's...cherished moments forever.
[Edited by T&A]
05-21-03 10:50 AM
Factory Girl T&A, check your PM.
05-21-03 11:01 AM
jb Frankenstein was the song I was referring to...I got confused with Hocus Pokus...but I have a lot on my mind.
05-21-03 11:21 AM
jb Why has my avatar been de-activated? Is this some form of punishment?
05-21-03 11:31 AM
Factory Girl jb, PM Voodoo re: your avatar. I don't think you're being punished.

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST
Licks World Tour 2002 - 2003