ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

The Bang by TT!
Radrennbahn Weisensee, East Berlin, German Democratic Republic - 13th August 1990

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Vote: Should the federal government spend $10M to bring the Stones to Toronto for a free concert? Return to archive
05-20-03 02:01 PM
CS Deadline brings no word of federal cash for Rolling Stones concert

OTTAWA (CP) -- Time may be on the Rolling Stones' side, but it was running out for the federal government Tuesday to decide whether to fund a concert by the band highlighting Toronto's SARS-free status.
The Stones reportedly agreed to perform at a free-admission concert in July if they're paid over $10 million, and provided the funding was in place by Tuesday.

Liberal MP Dennis Mills, who is trying to organize the event, has been pushing the federal government to guarantee the money.
But a spokesman for the Prime Minister's Office said Tuesday that no decision had been made.

VOTE:
http://www.canoe.ca/NationalTicker/CANOE-wire.Rolling-Stones-SARS.html
[Edited by CS]
05-20-03 02:43 PM
Miss U. Thanks!! I can't believe the results!! Vote yes now!!
05-20-03 04:30 PM
Highwire Rob Must be a lot of hose-heads voting "No" eh?
05-20-03 04:45 PM
gimmekeef As usual when any gov't is involved things get screwed up.First the report says the Stones have to be paid $10 mil which was mentioned by Cohl as the cost to put on such a show.No exact study has been done I'm sure.This whole thing is a publicity stunt for Toronto and nothing will happen in the end because it involved layers of gov't red tape.The free publicity about the "concert" should help globally get the message out that Toronto is safe while the band can just rock Europe!!!!
05-20-03 05:21 PM
Martha As of now, 80% have voted no...that doesn't look good.
05-20-03 06:28 PM
Gazza I'm not surprised..10 million dollars?? Christ..are they offering to do this for Canada's benefit and because they care (in which case theyd do it for a pittance) or is it because the handshake is golden enough? Whose "benefitting" the most here?

cant it wait until after the European tour anyway?
05-20-03 07:29 PM
Lazy Bones Can't really wait as the economy needs the boost now! Which is the whole reason for the rush and agreement of the Stones to make amendments to the European tour. Although, even if it does happen, it should be (for the benefit of Toronto's economy) sooner than the end of July.

Christ..the Feds have spent over a billion dollars on a gun registry that doesn't work. Fuck me, $10M for the Stones is cheap. They'd make that up in beer sales. Imo, it should be Ontario and the city of Toronto taking care of this. Of course, it's not the city's fault SARS landed there. However, the majority of people that would go to this would be within, say, 5 hrs from Toronto - both sides of the border.

Regarding the pole..ask the vendors of Toronto their opinion and see how the results swing.

Although I try to remain optimistic, I think it's highly unlikely this will happen.
05-21-03 01:15 AM
MarthaMyDear I voted NO!!! And, if anyone blasts me because of that, get a fucking life and kiss my ass ROYALLY in advance, ok.?!?!?! It's the same ole greed!!! Get your asses all refreshed for London, continue on with the tour, etc.... I already see on the news here and there them talking about how SARS has "stopped" in Toronto now, etc., and I'm not even watching it (I'm listening to it whilst doing other things)!!! Fuck that shit... I want to see REFRESHMENT, REFRESHMENT, REFRESHMENT IN LONDON!!! MICK AND THE REST OF THEM LOOKING LIKE THEY GOT SOME FRICKING *** SLEEP *** AND NOT ALL JET-LAGGED, AND SHIT!!! I HAVE SEEN MICK LOOK TIRED ONSTAGE AND I HAVE SEEN HIM LOOK REFRESHED AND THE CREVACE IS WIDE, FOLKS!!! CRACKING-UP!!! Actually, it ain't that wide!!! OH!!! Didn't say that... Personal notation... NEVERMIND!!! ROTFLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P Seriously, though... lol........................................... :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P I just want them to stick to their schedule and wind-up ALIVE (I'm not talking about SARS here... Maybe just a TINY bit just 'cause I'm paranoid... lol.............................. :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P ) AND REFRESHED for London, is all... I am selfish and greedy and they had better not fuck-up my trip or I'll kill them... Just kidding... lol........................................... :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

Anyways, take care and I'll stop rambling now... lol........................................... :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P PEACE And ROCK ON!!! lol........................................... :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

*** Martha ***
[Edited by MarthaMyDear]
05-21-03 02:56 AM
marko I vote NO.Its time for and ONLY for a european tour!
05-21-03 03:54 AM
MarthaMyDear YAY, MARKO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am actually SHOCKED and downright amazed that I didn't get blasted for that but I like the Dixie Chicks ANYWAYS, so FIFTH AMENDMENT ON and ON WITH THE EUROPEAN SHOEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE (as someone used to say!!! lol................................. :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P )... Take care and ROCK ON!!!

*** Martha ***
[Edited by MarthaMyDear]
05-21-03 09:41 AM
Brown Sugar My vote is no.

They already have too much money. They even can pay stunts to play for them...

[Edited by Brown Sugar]
05-21-03 11:26 AM
jb This will never happen. There is a total lack of support for this by over 82.3 % of Canadian nationals.
[Edited by jb]
05-21-03 07:44 PM
Miss U. Rather disappointed, Martha P.
If the Stones would be too tired to do this, they wouldn't consider it.
Alot of people in T.O. can't afford to shoot up to London.
I don't know who those 80% are who voted in that poll, but I'm sure they aren't stones fans from Toronto!
05-22-03 01:41 AM
MarthaMyDear Miss U., *** I *** am the girlfriend who can't afford to shoot up to London!!! I will be badly in debt but the thing is is that I NEVER travel and I KNOW that I need it!!! lol......................................... :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P I've never been to England before and I do want to go so it's not just all about seeing the Stones there, and shit!!! Ok.... For U., I would like to see them play in Toronto, ok.?!?!?! lol.................................... :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P I am just tired of their greed, is all... SHEESH!!! lol........................................... :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P Anyways, take care and do ROCK ON!!! PEACE!!!

*** Martha ***

P.S. (Ok.... YES, I would like them to play there for the fans, etc.... NO, I don't want them to ask for that much money because it's too much, IMHO...)
[Edited by MarthaMyDear]

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST
Licks World Tour 2002 - 2003