ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

The Bang by TT!
Radrennbahn Weisensee, East Berlin, German Democratic Republic - 13th August 1990

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Johnny Winter Euro Tour Dates (NSC) Return to archive Page: 1 2
05-20-03 12:50 PM
Mother baby Just got an update in my email. Here's the link....
www.johnnywinter.net/tourdates
If anyone is interested...lots a shows in Germany.
05-20-03 01:43 PM
FPM C10 Oh MAN this is good news - simply because I had heard rumors that Johnny was in the hospital in bad shape. I'm glad that is not the case.

Johnny Winter is the greatest slide player in the WORLD, and that includes Mick Taylor.
05-20-03 02:13 PM
Factory Girl Wow, that is AWESOME News!! Johnny Winter is one of my favorite guitar players. YES!!!
05-20-03 02:17 PM
T&A not to be negative here, but Johnny's hip injury from a couple of years ago is still hampering him. Although he is apparently regaining some of his skills, from the several sources I know who have seen him, he is still a pale (no pun intended!) version of his former self as a guitarist. I would still go see the man out of respect, but keep your expectations realistic....
05-20-03 02:47 PM
Factory Girl I saw JW live a few years ago, before the surgery. He was using a cane at the time and only played a 45 minute set.

But, I'm just happy he's still playing live. And yes, realistic expectations are a must!
05-20-03 03:07 PM
jb What's that song he or Edgar do? Hokus Pokus?
05-20-03 03:11 PM
Factory Girl Johnny does "Rock & Roll Hoochie Koo" (Written by Rick Derringer). JW also covers JJFlash, Dylan's Highway 61, Stones' Silver Train.

Edgar does Frankenstein and Tobacco Road, among others.

For some reason, in my area, Edgar gets more radio play than Johnny.
05-20-03 03:13 PM
jb That song where there is some opera like singing?
05-20-03 03:16 PM
Factory Girl jb, the only "opera-like" song that comes to mind-was done by Queen. I despise the sound that Queen had.
05-20-03 03:17 PM
FPM C10
quote:
jb wrote:
What's that song he or Edgar do? Hokus Pokus?

I think that post should be subtracted from the total number of posts which you always crow about.

Please inform us of the comparative chart positions and number of units sold between Edgar Winter's "Frankenstein" and "Hocus Pocus" by Focus.
05-20-03 03:20 PM
T&A Johnny also covered Stray Cat Blues and Let it Bleed in the early 70's. And, he did a very Jimi-like cover of Dylan's Like a Rolling Stone on his 1980 album, Raisin' Cain.

In his prime, Johnny had NO peers, IMO. Jaw-dropping guitarist.

Was just listening to an oustanding JW boot, Barcelona Boogie, from 1990 - incredible, mesmerizing playing.
[Edited by T&A]
05-20-03 03:24 PM
Factory Girl Oh yeah, Barcelona is awesome!! I also saw Edgar & Rick Derringer live on my birthday a few years ago!!
05-20-03 03:43 PM
Moonisup no holland dates, that's a pitty
05-20-03 04:12 PM
Cardinal Fang
quote:
jb wrote:
What's that song he or Edgar do? Hokus Pokus?

Hokus Pokus is not by Johnny or Edgar Winter.

That song was done originally in the 1970's by Focus and then covered in the 1990's by Gary Hoey.

This thread is so weird because I was just listening to a 1970's Johnny Winter bootleg yesterday afternoon.

I've seen Edgar live but never had the chance to see Johnny live. Should I go ?

Later, Cardinal Fang
05-20-03 04:15 PM
jb That was in response to my anti-beatles post on GasX3 FPMC10?
05-20-03 04:40 PM
FPM C10
quote:
jb wrote:
That was in response to my anti-beatles post on GasX3 FPMC10?

er...no, that was in response to your response to FG's comments about Johnny Winter. They were akin to someone jumping into a conversation about the Stones by saying "They're the ones who do Henry VIII, right?". In addition, I gave you the answer to your question (the goofy yodeling song was by Focus, and since it was a mostly instrumental mid-70s hit I deduced that you were referring to EDGAR Winter's "Frankenstein") and made a mildly snide comment about your obsession over comparative # of tickets sold, units moved, $$$ earned, etc.

Any responses to your latest Beatle-bashing post at Gasland will be posted there. My only reaction was surprise at you finally admitting McCartney is a good bass player (that's the area in which I give him major kuudos- he reinvented the instrument) and someone else already mentioned it.

Anything else you would like me to explain?
05-20-03 04:40 PM
T&A Fang:

I would go to pay respects to one of the great musicians of the era; but go prepared to be disappointed - as I said earlier, his chops are nothing like what you hear on that 1970 recording....
05-20-03 04:44 PM
Moonisup " McCartney is a good bass player (that's the area in which I give him major kuudos- he reinvented the instrument) and someone else already mentioned it."

hmmmm, well I think bill was better, you did not see him, he was just there,

just there, just bill
05-20-03 04:48 PM
sirmoonie Can anyone recommend a Johnny Winter starter album or two, even if its greatest hits? Thanks in advance, from a clueless one.
05-20-03 04:55 PM
Moonisup johnny winter, a rock 'n' roll collection

1994 2 disc set, released by sony (/Columbia), it includes a FANTASTIC version of It's all over now!

also good is:

muddy water - hoochie coochie man, 1988 CBS

Johnny plays on the entire album!

05-20-03 04:59 PM
FPM C10
quote:
Moonisup wrote:
" McCartney is a good bass player (that's the area in which

hmmmm, well I think bill was better, you did not see him, he was just there,

just there, just bill

I'm not sure what you mean to say(I am not criticizing your use of the language because I can't speak yours AT ALL)- Bill was just WHERE and how do you know I didn't see him?

He played someplace about an hour from me about a year ago, but tickets were way too much, and I don't really like Bill anyway. I saw the Stones FOUR times WITH Bill ('75-'78-'81-'89)so I am qualified to speak about him, and I am a bass player so I can say: the only "innovation" Bill came up with was the 19th Nervous Dive Bomber, which IS really REALLY cool but not enough to base a career on. McCartney, on the other hand, totally reinvented the role of the bass, particularly in songs such as "Rain", "Taxman", the entire Sgt Pepper album, and "Old Brown Shoe".

That's ALL I'm saying. I'm NOT saying the Beatles are better than the Stones, I'm not saying The Beatles are bigger than Christ, and I really WASN'T comparing McCartney to Bill (because there's no comparison).
05-20-03 05:02 PM
T&A Can't go wrong with these:

Johnny Winter (first CBS/sony album)
Johnny Winter - Nothin' But the Blues (Blue Sky)
Johnny Winter - 3rd Degree (Alligator label)
Johnny Winter - Guitar Slinger (Alligator label)
05-20-03 05:14 PM
Moonisup I'm NOT saying the Beatles are better than the Stones,

haha I know that! I understand what you say!

but I see Bill as a good bass player, steady and good, maybe we disagree on that point, that Bill has became an old piss these days, well, ok for me,

but when I listen to Brussels ore Handsome girls, I really like his playing, not that HIS playing would fit in the Beatles or that macca's playing belongs in the stones,
I think that there are better players then Bill and Macca together, and people just know the 'well known' bands..

maybe that's why.
05-20-03 05:41 PM
steel driving hammer Ah Humeda Humeda...
05-20-03 05:47 PM
RubyFriday Johnny Winter And - Live CBS 64289 - 1971

Good Morning Little schoolgirl
It�s My own Fault
Jumpin�Jack Flash
Rock�n�Roll Medley:
...Great Balls of Fire
...Long tall Sally
...Whole Lotta Shakin�...
Mean Town Blues
Johnny B.Goode

05-20-03 05:48 PM
Factory Girl There is also a JW box set. The title escapes me now.
05-20-03 05:48 PM
FPM C10
quote:
steel driving hammer wrote:
Ah Humeda Humeda...

Is that what Ralph Kramden used to say when he was nonplussed?
05-20-03 05:53 PM
steel driving hammer
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:

Is that what Ralph Kramden used to say when he was nonplussed?

Somebody did. I got it from somewhere!

I also got a nice $100/quarter bag o' dope!

You know, the good stuff thats going around...

Think I'll go to the library tonight and check out some of Winter's discs. I never really gave the albino a chance. Just remember hearing one song of his and said, it's just another slide player whats new...

05-20-03 06:09 PM
FPM C10
quote:
steel driving hammer wrote:

I also got a nice $100/quarter bag o' dope!

You know, the good stuff thats going around...

[quote]

$100/Qtr!!! Well, there's NUTHIN' goin' around here in Bumfuck (but what goes around comes around, they say)...

Why when _I_ was a boy dope cost $20 an OUNCE!!!! Course it wasn't very GOOD, but STILL!

[quote]
Think I'll go to the library tonight and check out some of Winter's discs. I never really gave the albino a chance. Just remember hearing one song of his and said, it's just another slide player whats new...

NEVER judge ANYONE on ONE song. And never EVER go online and slam someone when you don't know what yer talkin' about!
Speaking of judging someone by one song, I've seen Johnny do one song live - "Highway 61 Revisited" at MSG in '92 at the Dylan tribute. You could get THAT out of the library, maybe. Anyway, it just reinforced what I already knew - Johnny plays slide better than ANYONE, alive or dead. Better than Taylor, better than Brian, better than Duane Allman, better than Muddy Waters - and if you knew me as well as you know me, you'd know that I wouldn't say that unless it was true.

There are TWO ways you can go with Johnny - I prefer him as a blues player, but stuff like the album above (Johnny Winter And Live) are pretty much straight RAWK. (Columbia was trying to make him a HUGE star, and the Blues was seen as marginal). He's great either way.

I don't know how anyone could hear, oh, say, "Too Much Secanol" (sp?) and not flip.

Triple K Marine!
05-20-03 06:15 PM
Factory Girl FPM, I have a JW "interview" where he's talking to the audience and says that he prefers to play the blues, but he will play rock also. So, I think his soul is with the blues. But, he's AWESOME on Both.

Also, I read somewhere that he's the only caucasian guitar player to be inducted into the Blues Hall of Fame.
Page: 1 2

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST
Licks World Tour 2002 - 2003