ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

The Bang by TT!
Radrennbahn Weisensee, East Berlin, German Democratic Republic - 13th August 1990

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: "Let it bleed" video/doc.?? Return to archive
05-19-03 08:18 PM
SaintGar What is this "Let it bleed" video that was talked about on this here board not so long ago???
Also,what,if any besides 25X5,is the best documentary available that covers the stones career??? Is it available on video?
05-19-03 11:06 PM
corgi37 Rewind came out in 1984. Mainly, it was released in conjunction with their 1,000th greatest hits release of the same name. It mostly comprises clips from the 70's - 80's, a teeny-weeny bit of footage from cocksucker blues, woeful, but hilarious footage of Bill and Mick in a rock and roll museum and some classic footage from Norman Gunstan, an pretend Aussie interviewer who was hugely popular in Oz in the 70's. Jagger thought the character of Gunston was hilarious, and long over due, so allowed the actor who played him, Gary McDonald, virtually unprecedented access to the Stones at the time of the 78 tour. In fact, 1 scene not in the video, but shown on Aussie t.v. has Norman and Mick under Mick's hotel room bed looking for drugs. There is also a recently released German 5 DVD set that you notice is mentioned here a bit. It is not authorised by the band, but has some fanstastic footage. Alas, no real Stones songs are used.
05-19-03 11:20 PM
FPM C10 I was just wondering about "Let It Bleed" - it hasn't been released here, and I don't remember hearing what was in it.

I remember flipping when 25x5 came out. There was a lot of stuff I hadn't seen, and other stuff I'd only seen horrible boots of. The problem with all music documentaries is they never show complete songs, or they talk over them - with DVDs, they should be able to give you complete songs with optional narration.

What's on "Let It Bleed"? Anyone know?
05-20-03 05:16 AM
MRD8 The Let It Bleed documentary was a European only documentary, I think it was shown in Germany and France...thanks to StonesDSoug(who is in the documentary!) I have a copoy of the directors cut...it is a three hour show that covers their entire 40 year career, it ends with Mick being knighted last summer...
05-20-03 05:19 AM
Monkey Woman Let It Bleed is a video documentary made by two European (I think Austrian) film-makers. It's about 2 hours 1/2 long and recounts the history of the band from 1962 to 2002. It's not "official" in the sense that they didn't have direct participation from the Stones but it was autorized so they could use the songs as soundtrack.

For the 60s and 70s, it follows closely 25x5, probably from necessity. In fact, many sequences from that period (intw w/ band members, TV and concert footage, etc.) are borrowed from 25x5. But there's also many interviews with people who surrounded the Stones at the time: journalists, groupies (Miss Pamela Miller, later Des Barres, is one), the press agent Keith Altham, writers Stanley Booth and Victor Bokris... Marianne Faithfull and Anita Pallenberg have their say too.

It's probably also from necessity that the Let It Bleed documentary goes less in details, given the longer span covered. This isn't without approximation and simplification, but overall it's a good summary of the Stoens's history. Interestingly, though, it tries to explore and explain the longevity of the band and its timeless appeal to fans. The latest years are not forgotten, with coverage of the Voodoo Lounge and B2B tours, the continuing guerilla with tabloids, Mick's (mis)adventures with Luciana, and some funny but heart-warming glimpses into the world of hard-core fans. Our friend Stonesdoug from Shidoobeeland is there, giving a tour of the Stones-shrine that is his house!

The documentary closes on the announcement of the Licks tour from the blimp press conference. Then, as in promise that the boys'll never stop, it fades into an short 3D animation film featuring the Licks blimp sailing all over the world (desert, forest, the Eiffel tower, the Himalayas...) to the tune of the title song Let It Bleed. It's a nice coda, makes one feel good, energized and enthusiastic about it all.

I hope it's released on DVD sometime soon! It was shown on many European TV networks at some time or other, so maybe one can get it on bootleg VHS or DVD.
05-20-03 06:48 PM
Gazza It was never - to my knowledge - screened outside France and Germany, where it was shown on the bi-lingual ARTE channel last July

I taped it when it was shown as I'm still able to pick up this channel on my old analogue equipment that I didnt hrow out even after I converted to digital satellite.

as Monkey Woman says,it leans heavily on "25 x 5" but its much better. Its over 3 hours long and its directed by Dolezal and Rossacher who have put together many Stones specials in the past in Europe. Quite honestly,its worth getting for the opening "Jumpin' Jack Flash" montage alone. Those first five minutes following the blimp footage and Denis Leary's on stage monologue about his desire for a bar that plays nothing but the Stones 24 hours a day is breathtaking

Its as good a Stones TV documentary as Ive ever seen. Only drawback is that most of the interviews are dubbed into French (or German depending on which version you have)making it hard to make out the English dialogue sometimes

I did see part of the English version that MRD8 talks about simply because he brought it with him to LA in October and we were staying at the same house! Doug would have been sent an english edit by the people who made the film as he's briefly interviewed in it,but I dont think that version has ever been broadcast
05-20-03 09:41 PM
Stonesdoug Thanks for the copy; however I did finally get a director's cut of the show from Rudi and Hannes---it comes in a great casing with a Gered Mankiewitz photo from the Buttons sessions. If someone wants to make a tree of it, they can email me and I'll lend the copy out.
05-20-03 11:42 PM
FPM C10
quote:
Stonesdoug wrote:
Thanks for the copy; however I did finally get a director's cut of the show from Rudi and Hannes---it comes in a great casing with a Gered Mankiewitz photo from the Buttons sessions. If someone wants to make a tree of it, they can email me and I'll lend the copy out.

I think this is something that NEEDS to be done, no?
05-22-03 12:03 PM
Jacques Hi all
Monkey woman told us very good things. Let It Bleed was aired last 14th July on Arte channel (German and French).
I burned it on a DVD (digital satellit connection). But it's the French version as Gazza told us it's a bit difficult to hear english interviews except when it's subtitled in French.
Very good work done. And you can see our friend Stonesdoug on it.
After this program Performance was aired.

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST
Licks World Tour 2002 - 2003