ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

The Bang by TT!
Radrennbahn Weisensee, East Berlin, German Democratic Republic - 13th August 1990

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: 5 Disk DVD set Return to archive
05-18-03 12:46 AM
JumpinJackFlash Anybody got the 5 dvd set of the Stones. I seen it at Walmart and I was gonna buy it, but mmy lady told me I had to wait till father's day. Anybody seen it, it's $59.99 cdn at Walmart.
05-19-03 09:11 AM
dkmonroe Caveat emptor. I've not seen the DVD set, but I've heard that it's unauthorized, and consequently it has no Stones music in it. I can't imagine how one could do a documentary about the Stones without being able to use their music, but it's gotta be pretty lame. Also, each DVD targets a specific decade, so that means that equal time is given to the 90's as to the 60's, which means that you're not gonna learn anything you don't already know.

Check out the reviews at Amazon.Com for more details. From what I've heard, I'd recommend that you get the 25X5 video instead.
05-19-03 04:38 PM
gypsy It sucks. I bought it on ebay. What a waste of money. Get "25X5" instead. It's available on ebay or half.com for $5-$10.
05-19-03 05:11 PM
Nellcote For the footage to be on DVD, in good quality, with Exile boots playing in the background, it's another cog in the Stones wheel of must haves. Sure, it would have been better to have had official status, the cheesy faux Stones music moans, however, give the producing firm credit for getting product out. The interviews are good, story of Exile recording complete with Pallenberg interviewed as an on the scene participant. I found it for $35, new. Had Wyman, with his prowess for everything memorabilia got with the Stones, he could have produced an offical product, which would have done boffo business. With the Stones always wanting to be ahead of the media curve, that an official 40th year DVD, with historical content SHOULD have been put out by now. It's looking like all we'll get is the HBO show, with some club date clips, on DVD, which in this media age, and the history of the band, is really short on the expectation level. Hopefully, the media being put up on the "Fan Club" site might be a signal someone is thinking outside the envelope, might we may get more?

Sergei, anything to share on this?

05-19-03 11:18 PM
JumpinJackFlash Hmm, well what the hell, i'm gonna get it anyway. Why not, anything Stones related is cool with me.
05-21-03 01:04 AM
corgi37 it was on pay tv here in Oz during the month they came out here. The fake stones music is indeed annoying, but some of the footage is just breathtaking. As i have said in prior posts, i have hardly seen anything of the 75 & 78 tours, and this doco has some stunning stuff. The people interviewed are great. Glyn Johns is insightful, and funny. Some of the interviews with Mick Taylor are brand new, but, man, some of the tragics the guys used to know are hilarious. So called "Singers/artists". 1 old coot with a pony tail they interview is a classic. Its worth having as its divided into 1 hour blocks dedicated to a particular decade, album by album. It goes right up to the Licks tour. I 1st saw it about a fortnight before they played Melbourne, and i was bawling my eyes out watching the fans at the U.S. leg of the tour go nuts. As i slurred to my step-kids after the last episode, tears streaming down my face: "No one will ever match them (hic). They are the besht fugging band the world (buuuurp) has ever known. You can take ya Eminems, beatles, and anyone elsh and stick em up ya ass!" Its worth noting my step kids laughed at me, but you get the point.
05-21-03 01:23 AM
gypsymofo60 Corgi my man, yet again one of your posts has me chuckling, but yet again, truth is at the heart of what you say. I too taped it from Poxtel, and wouldn't buy it on DVD. Gypsy is also right, 25 by 5 is a far better buy, but I have not seen that on DVD. What I find appaling, is the extreme lack of Stones product on DVD. Do they think that we "old" Stoneys are too retro for the new medium? Mmmmmmmmm!
05-21-03 01:27 AM
gypsy I did enjoy seeing Mick Taylor, Anita Pallenberg, and others interviewed. But, I just think $50 is way too high. And, it really wasn't fulfilling. If there was a way I could make copies for anyone wanting to see it, I most certainly would.
05-21-03 01:36 PM
voodoopug i bought it yesterday at best buy for 35.99 I must say it is an interesting watch and a good addition for a completist like me. I think if you are a dedicated fan, you must have this set.
05-23-03 12:09 AM
corgi37 Gypsy, you are spot on. Stones fans are hugely disadvantaged in regards to dvd/video material. Whether is because the band is still going, i dont know. The Doors have more stuff available than the Stones! I really thought something cool would be released for the 40th year, but as usual, i was disappointed. Michael APted was supposed to be making a doco of this tour, but i have heard nothing. And, the stones own site mentioned a competition for front row tickets and a featured "spot" (like, 1-2 seconds) on the official tour video, but i never heard of that again. As you are in Oz with me, you know how few material we can get. Stones in the Park and B2B are the only releases on DVD i know available here. Oh, for Ladies and gentlemen, Gimme Shelter (i had to buy the Region 1 version) and even the 81 tour.
05-23-03 01:29 AM
exile true it didnt have a lot (if any) music
I bought it for $50 here in Sydney and i have to say

$50 for 5 DVD's thats a really good deal
I thought the interviews with mick taylor and Anita Pallenberg were interesting (even though Anita looks alot like a crocidile these days)

you cant complain about $50 thats cheap 1 newly released DVD is $30 here so $50 for 5 is pretty good in my book.

I agree 25 x 5 is a better doco and put together better but this had a lot of stuff in it that was not in 25 x 5

anyway my 2 cents
05-23-03 02:49 AM
gypsymofo60
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
Gypsy, you are spot on. Stones fans are hugely disadvantaged in regards to dvd/video material. Whether is because the band is still going, i dont know. The Doors have more stuff available than the Stones! I really thought something cool would be released for the 40th year, but as usual, i was disappointed. Michael APted was supposed to be making a doco of this tour, but i have heard nothing. And, the stones own site mentioned a competition for front row tickets and a featured "spot" (like, 1-2 seconds) on the official tour video, but i never heard of that again. As you are in Oz with me, you know how few material we can get. Stones in the Park and B2B are the only releases on DVD i know available here. Oh, for Ladies and gentlemen, Gimme Shelter (i had to buy the Region 1 version) and even the 81 tour.

Corgi, I went into (IN)Sanity the other day asking about that video released last year, the one with all the official promo clips from the 70s thru to today, it was on some net selling site last year, anyway, the guy starts lookin at me like I'm from The Planet Fuckwit,a resident of Retro City, and stupidly starts mumbling some incomprehensible gibberish about platterlogs on the net, and then informs me, that Australian record/video etc, stores are prohibited from importing- foreign DVDs. CDs, records and videos are cool, but DVDs are apparently a no-no. So unless the discs are pressed here we can't get them. I don't know whether that's kosha or not, but if it is, then chalk up another notch on the STUPID BOARD, Nice one OZ!- Sunday, Monday Happy Days, Tuesday, Wednesday, Happy Days, anyone wanting to know what it was like to live in the 50s- holiday in Downtown Melbourne, unbelievable!

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST
Licks World Tour 2002 - 2003