ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

The Bang by TT!
Radrennbahn Weisensee, East Berlin, German Democratic Republic - 13th August 1990

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Got WEED if you want it ==> "Blame it on the Stones" and "We Love You" compilations Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
04-22-03 02:12 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
VoodooChileInWOnderl wrote:
The art for the "Blame it on the Stones - Licked dips and wet noodles" bootleg is already up, it prints fantastic!

It's a word document with the image on it.

LICK, DOWNLOAD AND PRINT!

This is just the front cover, the WORD document has it all.

FPM -- My guess is that this link should be working again whenever the website comes back on line.

04-22-03 02:12 PM
Sir Stonesalot Flea...the artwork is posted somewhere on this thread. Voodoo put it up.

I dig Summer Romance too. But my current faves are "I Sold My Soul To The Rolling Stones"(Hilarious!) & "Get It Together". The Groovies JJF is pretty keen too. And how about kicking things off with Robyn Hitchcock. Zany!

Blame It On The Stones and Elephant have been in my car CD player on continuous rotation since I got them.

04-22-03 02:22 PM
Nasty Habits I'm glad y'all like it -- it was loads of fun to make and I actually had enough material left over to make a volume 2, which should come out some day -- although I have an awful lot on my burning/comping plate at the moment.

To answer SIA's question from a long time back, that version of the Storm is performed by Mick Collins' "other" band, the Screws. His primary organization is The Dirtbombs, who recorded a great collection of fuzzed/rocked up soul covers a couple years back called ULTRAGLIDE IN BLACK that you, especially, SIA, should get.

Mick Collins was in the Gories in the early 90s, and that band was a very big influence on the White Stripes -- one of the most extreme, crazy, primitive R & B/rock 'n' roll bands of all time. Their records make Cramps records look like Stray Cats records. They were just a two guitar/drum three piece. Collins went on to do the Dirtbombs, Blacktop, and the Screws, and the other singer/songwriter/guitarist, Dan Kroha, went on to form the Demolition Dollrods. Lots of Stonesy sleaziness from both acts, but it really blew my mind when he covered the Storm. Nice to see a modern rock act covering a 90s Stones song.

[Edited by Nasty Habits]
04-22-03 09:30 PM
stonedinaustralia thanks nasty

like ss - blame it on the stones has been on continuous rotation both around the house and in the car in my neck of the woods

could you tell us more about the reigning sound - i love that track

it's a wonderful comp. nasty thanks again

jagger the dagger is out there and how's that line from the gangsters of love about "when they did hendrix in" i can't work out if it's so hilarious it's scary of if it's so scxary it's hilarious- wooaah!!
04-22-03 10:55 PM
Nasty Habits Gangsters of Love are so hilarious it's scary, but Sympathy for the Devil is so scary it's hilarious, so it balances out.

The Reigning Sound are from Memphis, Tennessee. The lead singer/songwriter, Greg Cartwright, used to be in a band called the Oblivians, and another called Compulsive Gamblers. For my money and ear time, the album Time Bomb High School was the best record of 2002. Great songs, great arrangements, good, nourishing rock.

Greg is a total Stones fan, very obsessed with boots and unreleased tracks -- I remember he was visiting Asheville (his wife's parents live here) and digging for records a couple of years ago, when those John Phillips tracks had leaked out but weren't released on Pay Pack and Follow yet. He completely freaked, particularly over Just 14, which we played over and over again.

Great guy. The Reigning Sound opened for the Hives on tour last year -- the Hives were huge Oblivians and Compulsive Gamblers nuts.

The Compulsive Gamblers album is one I've raved about on this site since I've been here -- with one side full of great rockers and one side of gorgeous country and ballads, it's the Tattoo You of the 90s.

[Edited by Nasty Habits]
04-22-03 11:01 PM
Dandelion* Thank you Mr. Nasty for putting this comp together. I'm listening to it now. I love it. What sort of things do you have in mind for the future volume?
04-25-03 09:07 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
Dandelion* wrote:
Thank you Mr. Nasty for putting this comp together. I'm listening to it now. I love it. What sort of things do you have in mind for the future volume?

Oh, Dan-D*, that would be telling. More of the same, I suppose. I like to plow a furrow until it is all dried up and husky. There's this one song by Oscar Brown Jr. that no one is gonna believe was recorded in 1961.

I understand the esteemed C. Fang did one of these crazed cover type compilations a while back. Does anyone have the tracklisting for that? I would like to avoid overlapping with his.

Nasty!
05-01-03 01:36 PM
L&A Here we are !

05-01-03 11:46 PM
Lazy Bones Thank you! Very nice.
05-02-03 12:23 AM
parmeda Very nice, indeed!

mmwwhhaaa! Thank you!
05-02-03 08:35 PM
ExileInLA Nice looking artwork...

There is just one inaccuracy on the Stones Cover CD. The Black Crowes played CYHMK on 10-30-01, not 10-20-01. I'm a huge Crowes fan and was actually at that show. It was in Boston and I was floored when they pulled this one out. Nice looking work tho.

Exile

[Edited by ExileInLA]
05-02-03 10:52 PM
Sir Stonesalot Sorry about the date thing...I went with the info that was passed on to me.

Glad everyone seems to like the artwork. I like the ghostlike quality of it. I think Rock & Roll will be haunted forever by the Rolling Stones...and since this is a cover song set...I thought the ghostliness (Is that a word?) was an appropriate image.

At least that's the story that I'm sticking to.

Enjoy!
05-07-03 01:48 AM
exile hey there have been away for a while
hence my lack of posting lately

I would really like a copy of both of these albums

what do I have to do???

post or email me please
05-12-03 07:09 PM
jjkflsh
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:
Greetings lays and gennlmen --

I would love to get a copy of this , i seen the artwork for it , looks real nice. Pleasee mail me [email protected]

My copy of the legendary WEED CD "WE LOVE YOU", manufactured and compiled by the good Sir Stonesalot, has at last arrived in my Post Office Box, and I am henceforth announcing that I am ready to send it on out there into the world to whomever and whichever the next three people who agree to accomodate some future disiree for this masterpiece of compilational splendor plus one poor burnerless soul who wishes only to enjoy it in peace.

Those who wishes to receive a totally free, no trade necessary, no further purchase required copy need only PM Nasty Habits here at the Rocks Off website and we shall see what we can do!

Other copies of this weed, plus its tracklist and such, are available aqu�:

http://www.novogate.com/board/968/146164-1.html

(and in actual fact I already have one RO member signed up for this weed and so I have room for two more burner people and one who technology has left behind . . .)

IN ADDITION to "We Love You" I have taken inspiration from SS and have created my own highly floatational and educational compilation CD called "BLAME IT ON THE STONES" which I shall be weeding out in this thread as well to those of you still paying attention. This strange CD is a combination of songs ABOUT the Rolling Stones, completely obscure COVER VERSIONS of Stones songs by a wide variety of punk rock, rock and roll, and soul bands, songs ASSOCIATED with the Stones in other versions, and songs that the Rolling Stones HAVE COVERED that for one reason or another may be difficult to find. The bulk of this collection was taken from obscure vinyl sources and may be difficult for you aluminumati to acquire, so leave it to the vinylphile to weed them to you.

Keep in mind that this CD was done with tongue in cheek as well as sticking out of mouth. There is no doubt that some of you will HATE some of the tracks on this comp, although I think it is pretty amusing and at times hilarious and am pleased with its flow. I have tried to include something for everyone, but if you have no sense of humor about the Stones I highly recommend you leave BLAME IT ON THE STONES alone.

Same rules apply to this here weed as apply to the Stonesalot weed -- please PM me specifying whether you wish to receive WE LOVE YOU, BLAME IT ON THE STONES, or both. Three slots for both plus a burnerless soul -- you must agree to pass what you receive on to other members of this board and/or the Stones community. Sir Stonesalot and the Unholy Trilogy will receive complimentary copies, as seems proper etiquette.

And herewith lies the tracklist for the new weed:

1. SOFT BOYS -- Only the Stones Remain - may or may not be about the Rolling Stones but I've always heard it that way and so here it is
2. THE TELEFONES -- She's in Love with the Rolling Stones (hilarious new wave tune about some poor slog whose chick won't ball him because she loves the Stones too much)
3. THE STATICS - I Sold My Soul (to the Rolling Stones) - obnoxious and retarded punk rock number about meeting Brian Jones at the crossroads
4. NEW BOMB TURKS - Summer Romance - burning punk cover
5. ARTHUR CONLEY - Let's Go Steady - Soul number sung by Keith at Emotional Rescue sessions, unreleased. This version is the b-side to "Sweet Soul Music".
6. JOE TEX - I'm a Man
7. STEVIE WONDER - I Don't Know Why I Love You - Stones covered this on Metamorphosis
8. GANGSTERS OF LOVE - Sympathy for the Devil - Hilarious Funkadelic style version from the early 70s
9. THE LEFT REVEREND EUGENE McDANIELS - Jagger the Dagger - bizarre soul/jazz/funk "sermon" on Mick Jagger's . . . dick . . . basically.
10. RAY SHARPE - Linda Lu - Original version of tune Stones covered at the Some Girls sessions
11. CHESTERFIELD KINGS - I Can See It - Cover of unreleased Stones tune
12. FLAMIN' GROOVIES - Jumpin Jack Flash - Blazing cover based on the version of the song from the '68 video.
13. DEVIL DOGS - It's Not Easy - more retarded fast punk
14. WHITE STRIPES - Stop Breaking Down - live on the BBC
15. THE SCREWS - The Storm - Sloppy but soulful cover of this amazing b-side
16. SHADOWS OF NIGHT - Let It Rock - Chicago's best 60s garage band burns through this number live
17. LOS APSON - Satisfaccion -- Mexico City 60s garage version in Spanish!
18. OS BAOBAS - Pintada de Preto - Brazilian 60s version of Paint It Black
19. REIGNING SOUND - I'd Much Rather Be with the Boys - Memphis underground legend Greg Cartwright's excellent version of the Metamorphosis tune makes it rock!
20. WILMER AND THE DUKES - I'm Free - 60s soul version
21. THE EIGHTH DAY - Too Many Cooks - Original version (or one of them) of the Mick Jagger/John Lennon unreleased single
22. STAPLES SINGERS - The Last Time - Song that inspired the Stones "original".
23. KRIS KRISTOFFERSON - Blame It On the Stones
24. GILDA RADNER - Gimmie Mick -- Gilda imitates Patti Smith singing a fake song about how much she loves Mick Jagger

[Edited by Nasty Habits]

05-12-03 07:11 PM
jjkflsh Hi,
I would love a copy of these , what do i gotta do ?
05-20-03 07:05 PM
Ben Smith I hate to mooch off this, but I'd also love a copy of this if anyone is nice enough to help out...

Thanks!

-Ben ([email protected])
05-20-03 11:37 PM
exile We would really like a copy of this
If I have to send CDR's anywhere I would be happy to

email or PM me please!!!!
05-21-03 10:19 PM
Sir Stonesalot All you guys gotta do is PM any of the people in this thread who offered to send out the compilations...you PM them, not them PM you.

Enjoy.
05-23-03 04:43 PM
rogerriffin when i was listening SATISFACCION by LOS APSON, my grandmother told me " already i told you that not play my discs" and i told her "no, i don`t play your discs, it is from rocks off members compilation"

very cool compilation.
Page: 1 2 3

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST
Licks World Tour 2002 - 2003