ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
"On the Road" World Tour 2002-2003

Meredith Hunter by Beth Bagby
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch2: Random Sike-ay-delia] [Ch3: British Invasion]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: What the papers say ?? Return to archive
05-23-02 09:33 AM
Private Godfrey Being in the UK the only press that features the Stones is usally slagging the chaps off - I was wondering if the new tour has had the same treatment in the US ?

Are they advertising the tour in the press - if so have they named it yet ?
05-23-02 10:27 AM
jb Very little press here so far....I remember in 81 when Dan Raher on CBS Evening News should pictures of Stones opening in Philadelphia....last 2 tours not really big news here...American, like the English, are caught up with Britney, Shakira, Celine, En Sync, BSB, etc...the stones are hated by most main stream press as well as by most pop loving Americans who still think the Beatles were the greatest band ever!!! We are destined for a nuclear holocaust given the musical tastes of our country.
05-23-02 01:01 PM
Mother baby The Beatles were....I think at the time. It kind of all depends on how one measures it. Some people say that the Rolling Stones are the "Greatest RR Band in the World" but Little Richard vehemently denies that. As far as mass bad taste I agree, but its kind of always been like that...or at least the limitations of commercial radio lays the breeding ground for bad taste. And even the best minds get cloudy judgement one in awhile....in the 60's Elvis became uncool, I suppose because of his "50's image". But my guess is Elvis will always be the "protype". Partly because he was on the "ground floor"...image wasn't so important before mass tv. ...mass tv, rock n roll and mass radio are the three legs of the stool....video didn't start with MTV it was there from the beginning. Our friend Andrew Oldham was certainly no fool. Sorry to ramble.......just a babble opinion!!!!!!

Besides Bad press is the best press.... now didn't Andrew say that????????LOL!
[Edited by Mother baby]
05-23-02 01:23 PM
ShannonDC They took out full page ads in the Washington Post last Friday before tickets went on sale to annouce "The Stadium Show". Other than that, the papers ran short pieces announcing the tour and the Post ran a rather snide little paragraph this week pointing out that Fedex Field (local stadium) was not sold out after several days. Hell, it's not like they sold out the last couple of tours here accept the VooDoo Lounge tour opener.
05-23-02 04:54 PM
Private Godfrey And i thought America loved the Stones - Bloody Ponsy Newspaper reporters, stick the knife in !

I'm glad i shall see for myself come Oct, a dream come true to see them in the USA - Just wish the places had no seats, like a proper Rock Show then true fans could que if they wanted to get down the front.

Thanks for the feedback

05-24-02 11:23 AM
wkoetke3 Sadly, I think they only failed to sell out due to the high ticket prices. Don't misunderstand - high paid the prices myself and I'm not bitching about it like many have. I'm just saying it was a calculated risk on their part. I have literally dozens of friends who said they'd pay even $80 for a stadium, but $100 seems to be a barrier. I think they would have sold out ALL stadiums instantly if the prices were even 20-30% lower than they were. Then the press would be talking about their massive sellout. I think the Stones goofed on this one.

quote:
ShannonDC wrote:
They took out full page ads in the Washington Post last Friday before tickets went on sale to annouce "The Stadium Show". Other than that, the papers ran short pieces announcing the tour and the Post ran a rather snide little paragraph this week pointing out that Fedex Field (local stadium) was not sold out after several days. Hell, it's not like they sold out the last couple of tours here accept the VooDoo Lounge tour opener.

On June 16, 2001 the hit counter of the WET page was inserted here, it had 174,489 hits. Now the hit counter is for both the page and the board. The hit counter of the ITW board had 1,127,645 hits when it was closed and the Coolboard didn't have hit counter but was on line only two months and a half.