ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

Happy Birthday Gazza!!!
© Dave McGough spoiled by Voodoo Chile - Words © Jair "Coca Buena" Mota!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Richards blasts rap stars Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
19th May 2007 02:15 PM
glencar
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:

Nothing wrong with the genre on it's face....but comparing it to the blues, based on rawness and pureness, is fucking ridiculous...the old blues artists had enough sense on where to draw the line..they wrote in metaphors for the most part...if you understood what they were talking about, then you were, presumably, mature enough to put it into context...culture thing?...yeah...it is...but what culture?

Plus hip hop is usually missing a melody. Keith sounds like an old fart but he speaks the truth.
19th May 2007 02:19 PM
Brainbell Jangler
quote:
gypsymofo60 wrote:

Glamourising drug culture, the disrespect for women and solving all their little bitch-slap spats with a piece says it all.

Glamorizing drug culture?:
Monkey Man
CYHMK
Sister Morphine
Dead Flowers
TSMR
SHTMY
Coming Down Again
Before They Make Me Run
Their own lives for years

Disrespect for women?:
Stupid Girl
Under My Thumb
The "Black & Blue" billboard
Mick and Brian's lifestyle

Solving all their problems with a piece?:
Ventilator Blues
Midnight Rambler
Hand of Fate
Jigsaw Puzzle

Now, I don't care for most of that stuff any more than Keith does. But I'm able to admit that age has ossified my musical tastes to some degree. Middle aged folks are simply in no position to judge the music of youth.
19th May 2007 02:25 PM
Brainbell Jangler
quote:
guitarman53 wrote:

can you imagine humming along with one of those songs? you can't, it's garbage in the best sense of the word.

Is hummability (is that a word?) the standard for musical quality now? Are none of you old enough to remember when precisely the same complaint was lodged against rock'n'roll? Or at least when it was said about punk? Howe hummable are Iggy Pop or the Ramones? Which is more hummable: "I Can't Get No Satisfaction" or "That's Amore"? Face it; it's just a G (generation) thang. You've become your parents--or grandparents.

Plus ca change.
19th May 2007 02:32 PM
Bloozehound Party like rockstar

19th May 2007 02:38 PM
Fiji Joe
quote:

Middle aged folks are simply in no position to judge the music of youth.

I guess there's a whole lot of other things peculiar to "youth" you are in no position to judge...cause you're old and whatnot...good thing you don't have children

Can you talk out of your ass any more?...I know damn well you do, or would, prohibit your child from listening to certain types of music or indulging in other types of media...in no position to judge?...WTF?...having been there, done that, you're in the perfect position to judge...damn man!...run this stuff by your old lady before you post it
19th May 2007 02:50 PM
Bloozehound What is this shit, the old Fart Fartin' in the Wind Thread
19th May 2007 02:58 PM
Fiji Joe
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:
What is this shit, the old Fart Fartin' in the Wind Thread

Well my friend, Brianbell Jangler has, in recent weeks, informed me that if I vote a certain way, work in a certain profession, and now, if I am a certain age, I cannot appreciate, or in some cases even listen to, certain music...for a hippy he's pretty damn intolerant

This post is Wavy Gravy approved
19th May 2007 03:03 PM
Fiji Joe Now...enough of this nonsense...A cocained Mick says Let it Rock!

19th May 2007 03:19 PM
fireontheplatter
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:

Nothing wrong with the genre on it's face....but comparing it to the blues, based on rawness and pureness, is fucking ridiculous...the old blues artists had enough sense on where to draw the line..they wrote in metaphors for the most part...if you understood what they were talking about, then you were, presumably, mature enough to put it into context...culture thing?...yeah...it is...but what culture?

first of all ...i am not a racist person by any stretch of the imagination.

rap crap is a lot inner city black music and they sing about there own kind.

colors is one of my favorite movies of all time.
rap music, for the most part, is arrogant......period

what the hecks his face was on the rachael ray show about a month ago and i did not care for him at all...i could totally tell he had a tude about something. when i remember his name i'll let you know. he is the rapper with the 6 pak abs....names on the tip of my tounge.

i'm not sure what i am trying to say really....i don't hate hate rap, but i don't buy or listen to it...hardly.

drugs and hard times...hey fuck...who hasn't been thru it. why the freak do you have to glorify it?

oh god help me more drinking and posting this..........

carry on everybody

19th May 2007 03:34 PM
Brainbell Jangler
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:

I guess there's a whole lot of other things peculiar to "youth" you are in no position to judge...cause you're old and whatnot...good thing you don't have children

Can you talk out of your ass any more?...I know damn well you do, or would, prohibit your child from listening to certain types of music or indulging in other types of media...in no position to judge?...WTF?...having been there, done that, you're in the perfect position to judge...damn man!...run this stuff by your old lady before you post it

Actually, that is one of my ongoing disagreements with my wife. She and the children enjoy listening to the local hip hop radio station; I do not. I would prefer they listen to classical music as they did in early childhood and in utero. The fact remains, whether you think it comes out of my ass or my memory, that the comments about rap in this thread mirror those my grandparents made about rock'n'roll. And since my ass continues to make more cogent points than your brain, perhaps you should visit the psychoproctologist.
19th May 2007 03:59 PM
Fiji Joe
quote:
Brainbell Jangler wrote:

The fact remains, whether you think it comes out of my ass or my memory, that the comments about rap in this thread mirror those my grandparents made about rock'n'roll.

Sure...but does the music mirror the music they were talking about?...really?...Read the reasons why I think they differ above...You wouldn't take your child to prison and let them sit in on the dinner discussion...well you might, but normal people wouldn't...where do you draw the line in your tolerance and begin to judge?...does it depend on what the content is?...Cause I gotta tell ya, if there are many more parents out there like you, who will refuse to "judge" what their children are listening to, I see a new market for 2 Live Crew records on Ebaby...cause there may be some youth out there who can be beneficially enlightened, horizons broadened even, to know about how Luther's bitch nibbles "on his di@k like a rat does cheese"...

Leonard Peltier says this post is one with the earth

[Edited by Fiji Joe]
19th May 2007 04:32 PM
Highwire Rob Keef should go a little easier on his critique, I believe. He sounds like my parents--there's the generational thing going on. Although I don't share the black inner-city experience, some rap is too honest, intelligent and articulate to dismiss. Sometimes a white boy needs a wake-up shout and a finger pointed in the face.

19th May 2007 04:33 PM
Bloozehound
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:

to know about how Luther's bitch nibbles "on his di@k like a rat does cheese"...

fuckin A'

2 Live Crew ~ crank it !

19th May 2007 04:44 PM
Fiji Joe
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:

fuckin A'

2 Live Crew ~ crank it !

Nice...I can just see all the baby janglers gathered around the computer...doing that diaper bounce the little ones do when the feeling it...S & Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...bring your di@k sucking friends....S & Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...bring all your horny friends
19th May 2007 04:56 PM
time is on my side Personally, I do not like rap music but I understand that's just my personal individual taste. My children like it (love would be too strong a word- let's just say people of a certain age group are more likey to buy a rap CD than people of other age groups).

However, when comparing classic rock or even more current rock to rap, here's a few differences no one's pointed out:

(1) Despite all the billboard success, all the CD's sold, rap still does not translate into the live arena. As far as I know, my chidren have never expressed any desire to see a rap artist live. Nobody wants to see rap artist live in concert. Look at the venues multi-million selling rap artist play in. Few of their shows sell out. Why is that?? Now, compare that to rock not only in my youth but even today. I, for one, see a huge difference that just cannot be easily explained away as a generational thing.

(2) Forget about the Dean Martin comparison. If Deano came back from the grave, how many would be lining up to see him play, to buy his records??? Now compare that to the Beatles, to Jimi Hendrix, to the Doors or if Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin decided to reform??? No artist from Deano's era or from the current rap era can compare to that kind of demand. Not even Old Blue Eyes would sell out stadiums. Elvis, however, has survived. Oh, almost forgot, wasn't he part of the beginning of something called rock and roll??

(3) Artist like Bing Crosby or Dean Martin, while popular in their day, did not survive that well over the ensuing decades. Today, their music rarely gets played. Most look upon it as obsolete. While classic rock, some 40 plus years after the fact, still sells, still has a tremendous demand to see the artist live. Why is that if it's just a generational thing??? It's more that just the baby boomers. Why are people still listening to Mozart or Beethoven??? As far as I know, they've been dead for a few centuries. They survived due to the artistic quality of the music. My guess something similiar may happen to rock. Sure the audience will dwindle just like it did for classical music but the point is there's always an audience.

Will rap survive for 40 plus years or will go the way of Deano and Bing??? My guess, when one examines the quality of the music, the answer for most is fairly obvious. I leave it to one's imagination (or is it just my imagination).

[Edited by time is on my side]
19th May 2007 05:03 PM
sirmoonie Allright, I searched high and low, near and far, frick and frack - this is as mini-van friendly as I could find.

Even the board's Jerry Falwell fans won't asthma-seize up on this little ditty. The coloreds are a very, very musical people, you know.

19th May 2007 05:05 PM
Bloozehound
19th May 2007 05:14 PM
_Boomy_ Rap music doesn't really have longevity. It may spark some hit-making, but a hit today won't really matter in five years.

Rap music is really about the flavor-of-the-month. I've heard the rap stations people listen to, and what it basically consists of is 10-15 tracks on a random rotation. I didn't hear any old school West Coast stuff on it. I didn't hear any Afrika B on it.

In rock music, there are many classic records. In hip-hop, there are very few. They may sell big-time when they are released, but they gather dust after a while.
19th May 2007 05:15 PM
Ten Thousand Motels >(3) Artist like Bing Crosby or Dean Martin, while popular in their day, did not survive that well over the ensuing decades. Today, their music rarely gets played. Most look upon it as obsolete.<

Well all their fans died off.

It's really too early to tell. Recorded music has only existed for less than 100 years. TV even less. It's too early to draw any real conclusions. That will be up to the future historians.
[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
19th May 2007 05:19 PM
Fiji Joe
quote:
_Boomy_ wrote:
Rap music doesn't really have longevity. It may spark some hit-making, but a hit today won't really matter in five years.

Rap music is really about the flavor-of-the-month. I've heard the rap stations people listen to, and what it basically consists of is 10-15 tracks on a random rotation. I didn't hear any old school West Coast stuff on it. I didn't hear any Afrika B on it.

In rock music, there are many classic records. In hip-hop, there are very few. They may sell big-time when they are released, but they gather dust after a while.

That's because it sux...I listen from time to time...for amusement value more than anything...but only a home-schooled simpleton can take it seriously...It be like busting out Van Halen's OU812 and going "this rocks!"
19th May 2007 05:42 PM
time is on my side
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:

Well all their fans died off.

It's really too early to tell. Recorded music has only existed for less than 100 years. TV even less. It's too early to draw any real conclusions. That will be up to the future historians.
[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]

Disagree with this statement. I was talking about 40 plus years after the peak of their popluarity. Rock's already there for some of the classic rock artist. Deano & Bing peak was in the 40's to maybe the 50's. So a comparison can already be made. Compare Bing of the 40's to the Beatles, Jimi Hendrix of the 60's. No not all of Bing's fans from the 40's or Deano's from the 50's are dead. They certainly weren't dead in the 80's or 90's where the 40 plus year comparison begins.

The reason there's a big difference is that Bing or Deano were never able to attract many fans from different generations. Also, many of the one's that were into them in their youth grew out of them as they grew older (not all but there does seem to be a significant amount)

On the other hand, classic rock seems to attract fans from all generations. Obviously, the baby boomers is the biggest fan base but it does not seem to be confined to just one age group.
[Edited by time is on my side]
19th May 2007 05:46 PM
danielharris627 Very well said Keef!
19th May 2007 05:51 PM
Bloozehound Ron Jeremy ~ TV Repairman

19th May 2007 05:54 PM
gypsy
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:

That's because it sux...I listen from time to time...for amusement value more than anything...but only a home-schooled simpleton can take it seriously...It be like busting out Van Halen's OU812 and going "this rocks!"

So you're just dismissing ALL rap music?
There's good rap out there, but a home-schooled simpleton like yourself could never find it.
19th May 2007 06:35 PM
pdog
quote:
fxc1 wrote:
Rap is CRAP

And you just rhymed!
19th May 2007 07:16 PM
lotsajizz
quote:
gypsy wrote:

So you're just dismissing ALL rap music?
There's good rap out there, but a home-schooled simpleton like yourself could never find it.

now THAT'S postin' right there!!

19th May 2007 07:30 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:

All that quality posting you did up above, then you waxed-walled it all with this two-strike bunt, all dribbling foul in the sand.

You need to learn howe to finish, right now you are nothing but a cornflake without the milk.
19th May 2007 08:11 PM
glencar Right now I'm watching Oprah give the Howart University commencement address on C-SPAN. Howart Stern palyed it earlier this week on his radio show & it's a real hoot. She's sort of rapping...
19th May 2007 08:13 PM
sirmoonie Oh Jesus H. Fallwell Christ, that reminds me of those terrible elephantisis photos they had in 7th grade biology.
19th May 2007 08:28 PM
Nellcote Pass The Dutchie is a Wicked Pissah Numbah.
Some rap songs have had blistering guitar breaks, such as several Beastie Boys numbahs.
But, wtf, when a population of folks enjoys this stuff, doesn't mean all have to? Let the music flow....
And, bring me more Santa Rita Red, because, I am getting a wicked pissah buzz tonight. I may have to go find a place to sing, and play harp....Any drivers out there?
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)