ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

Happy Birthday Gazza!!!
© Dave McGough spoiled by Voodoo Chile - Words © Jair "Coca Buena" Mota!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: On the Cover of the New Rolling Stone: Blood Brothers Keith Richards and Johnny Depp Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
17th May 2007 07:43 PM
open-g
17th May 2007 07:44 PM
glencar Who was the photog?
17th May 2007 07:46 PM
glencar
quote:
FotiniD wrote:
This whole "don't they look gay?" wondering, comes off a little as insecurity and homophobia to me, especially seeing it comes mostly from guys

They're playing a father and son (!)
Now, how on earth you guys take that and see a gay thing in it, well, it's interesting to say the least

Exactly 2 people said that Keith looked gay & one was a woman. You really don't DESERVE a concert!!!!!
17th May 2007 07:46 PM
open-g Matthew Rolsten?
it says on it.
17th May 2007 07:47 PM
glencar Oh he's got a good rep. I actually like the one that features a smile. It's the one that's dead center.
17th May 2007 07:51 PM
Sir Stonesalot Well, seeing as how you are not American...I don't know if they have the "engagement photo" where you are from...maybe you should see what I'm talking about.

Each week, usually Saturday, US newspapers run a special page of the paper for wedding announcements...and engagement announcements. These announcements are usually accomapnied with a posed studio picture. These photos almost always look the same. Here are some examples...

OK. You see the pose I'm talking about? Yeah, this pose...

Now....do you see what I mean? Two men sitting for an engagement photo....that doesn't seem a bit gay to you?

I, personally, have never seen a father and son pose like that for a photo. Here's the father with a guiding hand on son's shoulder...notice the father is not grasping at his son.

Here's another fatherly hug....

Here's a happy father and son on a wedding day....

Now you know where I'm coming from. I'm not crazy. I'm not homophobic. I am observant, and I call it like I see it.
17th May 2007 08:00 PM
Sir Stonesalot Jesus Christ! This could be an advertisement for a wedding photographer!

Seriously...do a Google on wedding photographers or engagement photographs....you will see immediately what I'm talking about. Every single one of those poses with Johnny and Keef...straight outta the wedding photog's scrapbook!

WTF?

You got 2 of the most recognizable dudes on the face of the planet to work with, and the best you can do is come up with wedding/engagement photo poses? It's lame and stupid.
17th May 2007 09:27 PM
Sir Stonesalot I have shown the above set of photos to everyone here at work.

I asked..."What do you think of these photos?"

Answer 1(female co-worker): "Are they getting married?"
Answer 2(local cop): "Did they go to (name of local wedding photographer) to get those done?"
Answer 3(male co-worker): "I had no idea that Johnny Depp was into old men."
Answer 4(female secretary): "These are gonna be in Rolling Stone? Really? Are Johnny and Keith trying to start a rumor or something?"
Answer 5(local fire chief): "This looks like the Saturday announcements page of the (name of local newspaper)."
Answer 6(my boss): "I know you like the Stones, but I gotta say it, so don't get mad. Those pictures are gay. Big time."

I did not coach them, or say anything at all to them about what I thought...I just asked what they thought of the pix.

Tomorrow, I'm gonna show these pix to a friend of mine who is gay. I wonder what he's gonna say......?
17th May 2007 09:32 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Tomorrow, I'm gonna show these pix to a friend of mine who is gay. I wonder what he's gonna say......?

1.- So you finally got out of the closet?
2.- Another prospect is gone!
3.- Did know that Depp was gay but didn't know he has such a bad taste!
17th May 2007 10:45 PM
Steel Wheels The shots may not be creative, but it's still Keith Richards on the cover of Rolling Stone in 2007.

Long live Keith Richards.
17th May 2007 10:50 PM
Taptrick
Christ, I thought I was in the van humiliation thread. You know how your parents could have been very cool in the day but then as they get older you find yourself asking, "God, am I going to lose touch like that one day too?" Keith and Mick seem to being doing a lot of that to me lately - and my dad was born in 44 so I guess that makes sense.

17th May 2007 10:51 PM
Sir Stonesalot LOL Voodoo!

I'm sure that one or two of my gay friends would like for me to "come out", but I just don't have it in me....so to speak.

I really am curious as to what this guy is gonna say about those pix though...he'll have an interesting perspective for sure.
17th May 2007 11:07 PM
pdog
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:

Johnny Depp is good looking...

I'm saying that!

Your friend might too!

Despite what all your coworkers said, especially the males, that's what they were thinking. I can say it, and not feel weird about it. Shit, i wish I could snuggle with Keith and have my pic taken while doing it. I'd die happy, and still be straight!

I wouldn't snuggle with Depp, he's too good looking and i'm worried what might happen...lol!
18th May 2007 03:10 AM
FotiniD Well, I still don't see the gayness of it all

Ok, so engagement photos in the States have people hugging each other like that - so what?! Should we ban hugging because it might look gay? Come on!

And the 'homophobic' comment was made tongue-in-cheek
18th May 2007 03:19 AM
pdog
quote:
FotiniD wrote:
Well, I still don't see the gayness of it all

Ok, so engagement photos in the States have people hugging each other like that - so what?! Should we ban hugging because it might look gay? Come on!

And the 'homophobic' comment was made tongue-in-cheek

Keith and Mick were at one time the defintion of androgony and homo erotic rock and roll style...

18th May 2007 03:23 AM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:

Answer 3(male co-worker): "I had no idea that Johnny Depp was into old men."

LOFL!!!
18th May 2007 03:23 AM
FotiniD
quote:
pdog wrote:

Keith and Mick were at one time the defintion of androgony and homo erotic rock and roll style...

Yeah, well, I didn't see anyone complaining about how they looked on stage in the 70s....
18th May 2007 04:34 AM
pdog
quote:
FotiniD wrote:

Yeah, well, I didn't see anyone complaining about how they looked on stage in the 70s....

Or today... Keith still wears scarfs and makeup...
18th May 2007 08:42 AM
Taptrick
OK it doesn't look gay - it looks whimpish

18th May 2007 09:14 AM
GotToRollMe I don't think this photo is "gay" at all. Our culture here in the US is pretty fucked up when it comes to this sort of stuff, though. Thankfully there are other countries where it's considered quite normal for men to hug and, yes, even kiss each other, without it being homoerotic in the least - and this includes, but is not limited to, fathers and sons. Imagine that!

18th May 2007 09:18 AM
GotToRollMe
quote:
open-g wrote:

Thanks for these. Personally, I would've preferred the one on the top row to the right. Much more natural and we also get Keith's famous grin.
18th May 2007 09:41 AM
PartyDoll MEG Gotta agree with my RO girl friends..so what if they are hugging or posing ala "engagement photo" style!!? Makes no difference to me..Johnny is still the sexiest actor alive, and Keith is Keef, the old god of rock and roll.....

And it is 2007 and Keef is STILL on the cover of Rolling Stone!

Photography is art..obviously this look is what this artist wanted to portray..Maybe he is the one who had the fantasies
18th May 2007 11:50 AM
Sir Stonesalot >Should we ban hugging because it might look gay?<

Excuse me, but when did I ever suggest such a thing?

My point was that these photos are not creative or interesting at all...besides making the dudes look gay.

Look, you have a world reknown photographer and two of the most recognizable men on the planet as subjects. And you are telling me that this is the best that Rolling Stone could come up with for a photo shoot?

You got two macho dudes who are in a Pirate movie together, who like to play each others guitars, etc. and an engagement photo session is the best idea that they had? You got two guys who play guitar, and there isn't one damn guitar antwhere to be seen. If a pirate captain sat for a photo session with his first mate...do you think they would be hugging like lovers? These photos just look wrong to me. With what they had to work with, something much more substantial should have come out of it.

Like a whole lotta stuff that has been happening with The Stones lately, something that should have been really cool and great ends up being half-assed and lame. I'm getting damn sick and tired of it.

Yeah it's 2007 and Keith is on the cover of a long irrelevant magazine. Whoopee fuckin' do. Now he's right up there with Brittany Spears, Justin Timberlake, and Fall Out Boy. What a fuckin' honor. Tres Rock n Roll! At least he looks gayer than those other covers. YEAH, that's the embodiment of Rock n Roll right there. Pfffft.

OK, I apologize if I ruffled any feathers or threw a wet blanket on anyone's picnic. But as Rolling Stones fans, I can see our expectations being slowly lowered. And that sucks. They are the Rolling Stones, they are the greatest band ever. They are the embodiment of Rock n Roll. As fans we should expect the best from them because they ARE the best. Yet Stones Inc is slowly training us to not expect much of anything at all from The Stones. We are being coaxed into accepting lame, half-assed crap outta the boys. Well, I, for one, will not do that because I still expect THE BEST from my band. I really believe that they have BETTER still in them. But if we all keep sucking up the crap they've been dishing out....there is no incentive for the band to put any effort at all into their projects. They'll continue to go with the first safe and easy idea to come along, and expect us all to buy it up and cheer.

Well fuck that. Ya'll can do that if you want. But that is a wagon I ain't riding. I love The Rolling Stones. But if the Rolling Stones are not interested in being The Rolling Stones anymore, if they'd rather be Stones Inc., then they will do it without me. If I'm gonna have a fave Rock n Roll band, they will damn well be Rock n Roll thru and thru. So I'm here to hold them to it. I love 'em, but I ain't gonna kiss their collective ass. I'm no sycophant.
18th May 2007 12:20 PM
Nellcote Speaking of the topic d'jour, check out this ditty....

See more great vid finds at the Random You Tube thread...
18th May 2007 12:23 PM
mmdog
It's great that Keith is on the cover. However if Mick had appeared in a movie, had a action figure coming out, and wanted 5 million for a book, while Keith was planning a solo album, people would be calling him a show biz sellout. They would say Keith is true to his music. Instead Mick is slammed for doing solo work instead of a Stones album. Do you gus really think Keith is interested in another album right now?
18th May 2007 12:29 PM
Saint Sway I picked up my copy last night. A great interview!! It had me grinnin like Keith and cracking up out loud

great line about how he fell asleep watching Pirates II with his grand kids because he had been up for 3 days. LOL - ahhh classic Keef!
18th May 2007 12:34 PM
LadyJane Can't wait to get out of work and buy my copy.

I read a portion of the article here:

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/coverstory/potc3

I think they could have selected a better pic but I'm not unhappy either. What a duo!!!

LJ.
18th May 2007 12:38 PM
Sir Stonesalot >Do you gus really think Keith is interested in another album right now?<

I don't think any of them were interested in doing the last album, let alone another one. ABB came into existence because they needed a new album to tour behind. They can still squeeze a few more legs of touring outta ABB before they need some more product.

Hell, with the way things have been going, you can expect them to do shows behind the Scorsese DVD. Any excuse to make another quarter billion dollars....
18th May 2007 12:42 PM
Saint Sway pics are awful. Like SS pointed out, they really dropped the ball. Could of been an epic shot.

but its one of his best interviews in awhile. Lots of classic one liners.

the writer, Depp & Keith make plenty of great Keith/pirate/R&R analogies, but I cant believe they didnt mention what I consider one of Keith's most Jack Sparrow moments: that scene in Altamont where he's defiantly yelling at the Hells Angels... '"that cat right there!! If he dont cool it man.." - that moment, right there, is Capt Jack Sparrow standing defiant on the edge of the sinking ship challenging all comers
18th May 2007 03:31 PM
pdog
quote:
PartyDoll MEG wrote:
Gotta agree with my RO girl friends..

Does this include me, I've been trying to sneak into the ROCC dressing room for years....
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)