ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Thanks Nico
Musicland Studios, Munich November 1973
© Pop Magazine Germany - with thanks to Nico Zentgraf
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ THE A/V ROOM ] [ THE ART GALLERY ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ BERNARD FOWLER ] [ LISA FISCHER ] [ DARRYL JONES ] [ BOBBY KEYS ] [ JAMES PHELGE ] [ CHUCK LEAVELL ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ MAGAZINE COVERS ] [ MUSIC COVERS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ BOOTLEGS ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
[ CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE ] [ RESTROOMS ]
NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Sympathy for geezer rock stars and 2120 South Michigan Ave Return to archive
May 22nd, 2005 11:37 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Couldn't resist to post this recent article to post also some pictures KMC sent us from the Chess Studios mentioned in the article...

Clarence Page: Sympathy for geezer rock stars

On the culture front, it's encouraging for an aging baby boomer like me to learn that the hottest act on this summer's rock concert circuit happens to be a group of senior citizens.

Yes, roll out the black denims, my dear, and pack up the extra-strength painkillers. The Rolling Stones are leaving their English homes to come back and kick boo-tay on tour yet again, some 40 years after Mick Jigger couldn't "get no satisfaction" in their first invasions.

Sometime back in the 1970s, if memory serves, Mick Jigger scoffed at the notion that he still would be dancing around stage to "Jumping' Jack Flash" by the time he turned 40. Right. Now Sir Mick (he's knighted now) is 61. Yet, as he performed a few numbers with the band at their recent news conference, he looked not only fit but physically pumped and buffed, more muscular than the scrawny Kid Mick we used to know.

Still, this traveling show carries an ironic subtext. The ability of geezer Stones to roll in as this summer's hottest-selling rock concert ticket is a testament not only to their resilient talents but also to how much rock 'n' roll is ailing these days as a vital, edgy, soul-capturing engine of youth culture.

The summer of the Stones follows a winter of rock's discontent. "Rock Radio No Longer Rolling," blared a headline in the March 24 Rolling Stone magazine (no relation to the band). In the previous six months, no less than five major-market rock radio stalwarts (Philadelphia's Y100/WPLY, Washington, DC's WHFS, Miami's WZBT, the San Francisco Bay area's KSJO and Houston's KLOL) switched to other formats.

The sounds of "urban," the radio industry's artful term for hip-hop, or "hurban," short for "Hispanic urban," are the new engines of creativity and sales, outside the easy-listening, "cool jazz" or golden-oldie rock stations.

CD sales show a similar trend. For example, all 10 of the top performers on the Billboard music sales charts in October, 2003, were black artists for the first time in the 50-year-history of the charts. Nine were rappers and the other was a song by R&B singer Beyonce and reggae star Sean Paul.

If young black artists are emerging at music's new cutting edge, history is only repeating itself. Like countless other rockers, the Stones (whose name came from the Muddy Waters blues song, "Rollin' Stone Blues") reverently embraced the great artists and low-down fundamentals of Mississippi-Memphis-Chicago blues culture. They dropped in on Chicago and Memphis clubs to jam with Buddy Guy, B.B. King and others and recorded an instrumental track titled, "2120 S. Michigan Ave," the address of blues-giant Chess Records' studio in Chicago.

And now, years after studying the lords of ancient blues arts, the Stones themselves have become elder statesmen of rock, a role to which the media are unaccustomed. In an interview on NBC's "Today," Jagger and lead guitarist Keith Richards, also 61, hinted at a curious "inverse racism," as co-host Matt Lauer put it, in the way reporters always seem to ask white seniors like the Stones why they're still touring, while black artists keep touring no matter what age they are and hardly anybody asks them why they still do it.

"We're just musicians," said Richards. "I mean, it's other people's bags that we get put in, and, I mean, right, because we're white. Oh, 'You, you made a lot of money, why the hell would you want to do that?' Because we love it. It's as simple as that."

Still, it doesn't speak much for the state of new rock artists that the old guys still seem to make a bigger noise than the new ones.

I suspect that rock as we have known it is over. Been there, heard that, bought the T-shirts. Maybe rock died as a cutting-edge force with the 1994 suicide of Nirvana leader Kurt Cobain, the king of grunge, the Seattle-born music of youth-despair that became rock's first and last Big Thing of the 1990s.

Maybe some new Beatles, Stones, Sex Pistols, Nirvana, Jimi Hendrix or some other Messianic Big Thing is coming around the corner to save rock once again. But, if history is our guide, I predict that rock will fade after a half-century of vitality into a pastime of aficionados in the way of jazz, the blues, bluegrass and other once-prominent genres.

The new nurseries of music creativity are much the same as the old ones: black culture, Latino culture, working-class whites, angst-ridden suburban kids and the fast-rising global multicultural techno-reggae pulse of "world music." Who knows? As the world's young people live increasingly in the fast-paced, planet-shrinking paths of cyberspace, the next musical rage may not be so easy to pin down by geography.

In the meantime, as we boomer geezers fill our iPods with memories and gather in amphitheaters to hear soulful rock survivors perform what's left of our music and the selves that we once knew, indulge us, children. These days, we hear a new message in the Stones' refrain, "This could be the last time. May-be the last time, I don't kno-o-ow."

Oh, no.

Clarence Page is a Chicago Tribune columnist

Pix sent by KMC

May 23rd, 2005 12:28 AM
parmeda Thanks for posting this, Voo.

I can't wait to drag a few of our fellow Rocks Offers through the front door of Chess this September and watch them turn to butter, lol. It definately has a charming/haunting affect on ones soul.

May 23rd, 2005 03:26 AM
Hannalee I have a question: what do the Americans on the board take Geezer to mean?
May 23rd, 2005 11:04 AM
FPM C10
quote:
parmeda wrote:
Thanks for posting this, Voo.

I can't wait to drag a few of our fellow Rocks Offers through the front door of Chess this September and watch them turn to butter, lol. It definately has a charming/haunting affect on ones soul.

"Haunting" is right. That place is FULL of ghosts and their presence is palpable.

It looks like they've done a lot to it since I was there in '99. They were just breaking ground for the blues garden, and much of the inside was just empty rooms. In the main recording room I asked where the vocal mike had been, and then I went and stood there - right where Muddy Waters sang "I Just Want To Make Love To You", where Howlin' Wolf sang "Meet Me In The Bottom", where Chuck Berry sang "No Particular Place To Go", and hundreds of other songs which are the bricks my musical world is made of. I could have stood there forever.

On a shelf in the front office was a flattened Hohner Marine Band harmonica, with a note saying it was the one Howlin' Wolf played on Shindig in 1966 (when the Stones wrangled him his first national TV appearance). It was bent from being in his back pocket when he sat down, I guess. I stood and stared at it, speechless - to me this was as holy a relic as a splinter of the True Cross would be to a Catholic.

I met Willie Dixon's daughter Shirley there, and when I tried to express how important this place was to me my words turned to mush in my mouth and all that came out was incomprehensible babbling. She put her arms around me (she's big like her daddy, and beautiful) as if to say "Aw, you poor thing - just shut up now. I understand."

(Shirley Dixon, 2nd from left, with Muddy Waters, her dad, and the Stones)

2120 S. Michigan Avenue. It's the holiest piece of real estate in America, if you ask me.
May 23rd, 2005 04:27 PM
Night Clerk Sadly, I think Shirley Dixon passed away from a brain aneurysm not too long ago. She really did a lot of good for the old Blues performers and the music in Chicago.
May 23rd, 2005 04:33 PM
Poplar
quote:
Hannalee wrote:
I have a question: what do the Americans on the board take Geezer to mean?

old... but in a cute kind of way. not like "blue hair" which is old in a bad kind of way.

May 24th, 2005 02:48 AM
Hannalee
quote:
Poplar wrote:

old... but in a cute kind of way. not like "blue hair" which is old in a bad kind of way.

Ah. In English it just means man, which doesn't make a lot of sense in the context of the article
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour