ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Thanks Nico
Musicland Studios, Munich November 1973
© Pop Magazine Germany - with thanks to Nico Zentgraf
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ THE A/V ROOM ] [ THE ART GALLERY ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ BERNARD FOWLER ] [ LISA FISCHER ] [ DARRYL JONES ] [ BOBBY KEYS ] [ JAMES PHELGE ] [ CHUCK LEAVELL ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ MAGAZINE COVERS ] [ MUSIC COVERS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ BOOTLEGS ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
[ CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE ] [ RESTROOMS ]
NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: "Classic" Tongue in Fashion? Return to archive
May 22nd, 2005 10:12 AM
UGot2Rollme Am I the only one a little let down by the Stones' return to the classic tongue colors for this tour? I'm not a big baseball fan either, and I didn't like the tongue stitched up for the press conference. Do you think they'll change it once the album comes out?

I liked all previous logos except for one on the No Security tour - they were selling t'shirts with the tongue in the shape of an old rusted lock - 3 dimensional - very ugly but I still bought the t... does anyone remember that one, or have an uglier one to talk about?
May 22nd, 2005 10:31 AM
blackandblue I think they're all ugly except the classic one.

May 22nd, 2005 12:43 PM
UGot2Rollme B+B / looks like your "classic" is kind of faded...
May 22nd, 2005 12:47 PM
blackandblue Faded or not it is still the most powerful one imo.
May 22nd, 2005 02:03 PM
texile the original is the only one that matters......
May 22nd, 2005 02:55 PM
ResidentMule every tour they have dozens of different designs, I'm sure this one will be no different

the baseball tongue is really lame though, almost as lame as "On Stage"

I'm sure by the time the album is ready we'll have something much better
May 22nd, 2005 03:25 PM
ListenToTheLion the original is the best; the rest is merchandising shit.
May 22nd, 2005 07:09 PM
exile Is this the original one?
the one that Andy Warhol designed? I thought the tongue made its first appearance on Sticky Fingers...where did this version first appear?

I have a copy of Sticky Fingers and the tongue is

May 22nd, 2005 08:19 PM
Madafaka I like the original, but I've seen more than 10k!

Ok, if they wanna, can use the tongue with my pic inside as shown on my sign

[Edited by Madafaka]
May 22nd, 2005 10:56 PM
Soldatti The original is the first.
May 22nd, 2005 11:09 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
Soldatti wrote:
The original is the first.

LOL Soldatti Oh ahh thanks master Soldatti, yes the original is always the first; BUT as you mean the first posted in this thread let me tell you that you're wrong as it is the second posted by Exile as it's the on the Sticky Fingers album, the first time the tongue saw the light of day

Well ask Ruby Mazur, it wasn't neither Andy Warhol nor John Pasch.... guess Who?

Click the image and go!

May 22nd, 2005 11:12 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl and for me the best versions after the original were made for the Voodoo Lounge Tour, they were really creative and so stone
May 23rd, 2005 01:02 AM
exile
quote:
VoodooChileInWOnderl wrote:
and for me the best versions after the original were made for the Voodoo Lounge Tour, they were really creative and so stone

ah you mean the 3D thorn tongue...that wasnt so bad

for me I love the classic sticky fingers version.
May 23rd, 2005 02:46 AM
Jumacfly this one :
May 23rd, 2005 02:54 AM
IanBillen Exile Wrote:
"Is this the original one?
the one that Andy Warhol designed? I thought the tongue made its first appearance on Sticky Fingers...where did this version first appear?"

Andy Warhol, against common myth, did not design The Rolling Stones toungue. The Artist who did this was named Ruby Mazur. The incredibly famous toungue and lips logo is as most of us know a direct derivitive of Micks mouth. Andy Warhol did infact do the Sticky Fingers album cover art work. However he had no part in the Stones toungue logo design

*On an incidental note: Ruby Mazur recently was trying to legally pursue The Stones claiming he never recieved any well deserved royalties for the logo. All he ever was issued was $5,000.00 because he had no other stipulation in any type of contract with The Stones.

Ian
[Edited by IanBillen]
May 23rd, 2005 07:29 AM
Monkey Woman Ruby Mazur is still contending that he designed the Stones logo? He has a bit of cheek. The John Pasche logo (i.e. the classic tongue) adorned the 1971 releases, Sticky Fingers and the Brown Sugar single. The "tongue face" Mazur designed for the Tumbling Dice single was from 1972.

See also:
http://www.johnpasche.com/flash6.html

Bill Wyman in his Rolling with the Stones, and the other Stones in According to the RS, also go with the John Pasche story. Bill explains that Mick had seen a poster in a London shop showing the frightful Hindu goddess Kali, with a big red tongue lolling out of her mouth, and wanted a logo with only the tongue, but designed in a kind of pop art style.

John Pasche was a young English commercial artist whose style seemed right for the project. The Stones had already hired him to design the poster for their 1970 European tour. In 1971, they bought outright the tongue design for £50 and he received later an additional £200 for the success of the logo.
Pasche also designed posters for their 1971 tour of England and the 1972 and 1973 tours in America and Europe.

[Edited by Monkey Woman]
May 23rd, 2005 08:57 AM
Madafaka Let me know if I understood...

Ruby Mazur: The tongue face
John Pasche: The classic tongue
Andy Warhol: Sticky Fingers cover

I wanna finish with this confusion!

[Edited by Madafaka]
May 23rd, 2005 12:07 PM
Monkey Woman Yep! You got it right, Madafaka!
May 23rd, 2005 12:09 PM
Madafaka Thank you my dear french friend!
May 23rd, 2005 12:12 PM
Monkey Woman You're welcome! The Search for the Tongue, a new adventure quest worthy of Sherlock Holmes and Indiana Jones.
May 23rd, 2005 12:16 PM
Madafaka Yeah, or the Neverending Story!
May 24th, 2005 05:32 AM
IanBillen VoodooChile and Soldatti,
Sorry for recaping your stories.
I didn't read them before responding. Shame on me.

Ian
May 24th, 2005 05:38 AM
exile Thanks for clearing that up

great logo...for a great band
May 25th, 2005 01:17 AM
Brainbell Jangler Almost cetainly the best known rock'n'roll corporate logo in the world. When I was travelling in remote areas of southern Sumatra (Indonesia) 18 years ago, I saw many walls spray painted with grafitti versions of the tongue and the words "Jagger Stones."
May 25th, 2005 05:51 AM
Poplar
quote:
exile wrote:

perfect.

Good work MonkeyWoman.

[Edited by Poplar]
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour